 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Hello! I probably know the answer, but I was just curious... I have a working installation of MacOS X 10.5.2 on a Hackintosh made using the Kalyway DVD-ROM. Running Program Update suggests the 10.5.3 upgrade. Is it safe to proceed? I guess 5% yes, 95% it will render my installation useless... But I would like an explanation. Also I have downloaded directly from Apple the 10.5.3 "combo" installation. Can I use this and how?

Thank you in advance...

P.S.: Is there any real benefit to upgrade to 10.5.3 or we do it simply for having the latest? What are the differences with 10.5.2?

My GA P35C DS3R can only boot using "update -v" upon F8. If I let it boot without it I get a KP

This is after installing Kalyway 10.5.3 update on a iatkos2.0i install.

The 10.5.2 was running fine

Any help please

Try deleting your Extensions.mkext and reboot

where you read can link here ,what is your signature spec
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=shutdown

I got it from there, that packed i believe is on the 2nd page.. Some people on this bored tried it after I did ( i sent them the link ) and it worksperfect for them.. Try it and let me know if it works for u

Hi Coda,

Yeah, point taken. Altho' there are some issues like the appalling broadband system we have in Australia. Most subscribers have monthly download limits of around 1 GB, with added GB very expensive. So for me to download the Kalyway DVD (which I assume to be around 5 GB) is just not feasible. Can you point me to someone who might be able to send me a physical Kalyway DVD via snail-mail?

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Try deleting your Extensions.mkext and reboothttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;hl=shutdown

I got it from there, that packed i believe is on the 2nd page.. Some people on this bored tried it after I did ( i sent them the link ) and it worksperfect for them.. Try it and let me know if it works for u

SuperNet33 thanks

Shut down fully works with Vanilla Kernel

I installed CHUD.pkd from the Retial DVD.s

than after clicking single core ,shut down works fine .

After this It confirmed that your linked file PowerOff Bug fix basically shuts off extra core just after clicking shut down

Make sure to install Chud pkg first or system wont boot

To install 10.5.3 you need to add AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext back to the extensions folder if you don't you screw the whole system up and it will not finish the install as the kernel will panic. The only sure way to get 10.5.3 installed nice and pretty is to do it this way and then fix the startup script, and remove the kext (I suggest you back it up) and reboot machine. Another way is to save all your shiite on another drive and do a fresh install and go to 10.5.3 from there.

First off, thank you karaakeha1 for posting your post installation script and the needed kexts. That alone is a pretty explicit document. I made a minor enhancement to your script: if you look at LTL's v2 script, he uses a variable, DESTINATION=yourVolumeName, to hold the name of the drive, and then you only have to make one edit to customize for a different drive label.

I have/had a working 10.5.2 install based on LTL's excellent tutorial, and was looking for a way to do the upgrade without risking my working install, and without needing to install all the apps/data all over. Being fairly new at all this (< one month), I accomplished the upgrade by using SuperDuper's Sandbox (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html). For those not familiar with the technique, SD clones your working drive, but creates links to the Applications and Users directories on your working system. If you have room to create a 10GB partition, you can easily do this. (You will need to install the EFI boot files.)

I was able to setup the sandbox in about 10 minutes (first time setup), test that it was bootable, go back to my main drive, perform the upgrade, and then boot into the sandbox to test it. I am happy to report everything worked. What worked this time was that I was able to sync my Palm Tungsten E2 in the sandbox. For some reason, previous attempts using my LTL v2 script did not work.

After testing, I was able to "migrate" the sandbox back to my production drive, again using SuperDuper.

FYI, my system is ASUS P5K MB with E6750 CPU and 2 GB RAM, add-in RTL1000 compatible NIC, NV 8600GT graphics. I have 3 drives: 300GB SATA connected to the ICH7R controller (TimeMachine), an 80GB IDE drive, partitioned into a 30 GB Kalyway 10.5.2 partition and a 50 GB Spare (used as sandbox), and a 200 GB production drive. (I did not purchase said items to build a Mac box; rather I had two machines running XP, and converted one of them to run OS X.)

Hi all, I'm doing something wrong but don't know what. I've had many tries at 10.5.3 update and every time it trashes. Installing over 10.5.2 which was update4d from 10.5.1 brazilmac install using pacifist and it worked pewrfectly. No matter waht suggested method, and I've tried them all I end up with a trashed system. The latest message when -v boot is "failed to load extension AHCIPort.kext." I'm starting to lose interest in this updater can anyone suggest a fix.

Thanks

Hi all, I'm doing something wrong but don't know what. I've had many tries at 10.5.3 update and every time it trashes. Installing over 10.5.2 which was update4d from 10.5.1 brazilmac install using pacifist and it worked pewrfectly. No matter waht suggested method, and I've tried them all I end up with a trashed system. The latest message when -v boot is "failed to load extension AHCIPort.kext." I'm starting to lose interest in this updater can anyone suggest a fix.

Thanks

This topic is about installing Retail 10.5.0 and update to 10.5.3 from working leopard which works flawlessly ,since you have this board (Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo) retail leopard should work.

(SuperNet33 @ May 29 2008, 05:38 PM)

I did read all of it, that is why I am asking..

I do have a 7600GT, I want to get rid of NVinject and do it via EFI..

I understand I need to replace the com.apple.boot.plist , do I get it from Nvidia_7600_GT.zip ?

and is that All I have to do?

yes

I had trouble getting my 8600GT 256MB working - pasting strings, etc. didn't work.

I finally used the EFI String Creator to write the correct string to com.apple.boot.plist.

EFI String Creator

After reboot everything was good.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks karaakeha1, I have successfully installed using this guide and your install package :thumbsup_anim:.

After EFI I installed retail 10.5, then 10.5.2. combo update, then graphic update and finally 10.5.3 update so I booted in 10.5.3 right away :).

This is the best working Leopard installation I had, it works really stable.

Only thing I can't make it work is shutdown. I installed chud package, but it didn't help.

Before shutdown I select "Single CPU" but it won't shutdown.

However restart and sleep are working (with vanilla kernel 9.2 on kalyway 10.5.2. all 3 were broken).

Thanks karaakeha1, I have successfully installed using this guide and your install package ;).

After EFI I installed retail 10.5, then 10.5.2. combo update, then graphic update and finally 10.5.3 update so I booted in 10.5.3 right away :).

This is the best working Leopard installation I had, it works really stable.

Only thing I can't make it work is shutdown. I installed chud package, but it didn't help.

Before shutdown I select "Single CPU" but it won't shutdown.

However restart and sleep are working (with vanilla kernel 9.2 on kalyway 10.5.2. all 3 were broken).

Glad this worked for you. After you install retail 10.5 you can update to combo 10.5.3 it includes everything 10.5.2 and graphic update (so you can skip 10.5.2 and graphic update step)

try this PowerOff Bug fix for shut down after installing restart and try

PowerOff_bug_fix.zip

karaakeha1, are you on the vanilla 10.5.3 kernel (9.3.0), and if so, is your machine waking up from sleep OK?

Ever since 10.5.2 my machine doesn't sleep properly. It wakes up, but then beach-ball of death... 10.5.3 didn't fix this.

karaakeha1, are you on the vanilla 10.5.3 kernel (9.3.0), and if so, is your machine waking up from sleep OK?

Ever since 10.5.2 my machine doesn't sleep properly. It wakes up, but then beach-ball of death... 10.5.3 didn't fix this.

Yes Vanilla 9.3.0 working perfectly as was 9.2.2. Sleep is perfect and wake up is instantaneous as before.

Most likely this is BIOS reinstall and reset by talking battery out .than first restore to default and than make required changes to BIOS.

Yes Vanilla 9.3.0 working perfectly as was 9.2.2. Sleep is perfect and wake up is instantaneous as before.

Most likely this is BIOS reinstall and reset by talking battery out .than first restore to default and than make required changes to BIOS.

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Glad this worked for you. After you install retail 10.5 you can update to combo 10.5.3 it includes everything 10.5.2 and graphic update (so you can skip 10.5.2 and graphic update step)

try this PowerOff Bug fix for shut down after installing restart and try

No, it didn't work, just like before it hangs on desktop background after mouse and icons disappear.

I don't know what it could be...

thanks anyway

No, it didn't work, just like before it hangs on desktop background after mouse and icons disappear.

I don't know what it could be...

thanks anyway

I meant was retail DVD install.

For shut down

Have you installed CHUD.pkg