 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

This topic is about retail install

anyway you didnt mention your system specs , So tell in detail and add your sign so than some one can help

Sorry, i'll try to be more clear

I currently have leopard 10.5.1 running on one 500gb SATA harddrive, boots fine, this was setup using MBR and Kalaway 10.5.1

Im attempting to instal a retail Leopard Server 10.5 on another 500gb SATA Hard Drive. After following your guide to the T i restart, boot from the drive with Leopard Server install and it hangs at the grey screen with the Apple logo with a corrsed out sign. Booting with X- V- it ends up hanging with the error "Waiting for root device"

My system specs are the following:

Gigabyte GA-P35-D3SL Motherboard

Intel 2.4ghz Q6600 Quadcore processor OC'd to 3.0 stable

3Gb of ddr 800 Ram

Lite-On Sata Lightscribe DVD burner

1 Western Digital 500gb Hard drive SATA (MBR, 2 partions one for windows xp one for OSX working perfect)

1 Western Digital 500gb Hard Drive SATA (Want to install Leopard Server Retail on this one)

like i said ive tried your guide to Install Leopard Server Retail on the second drive, but i keeps stalling at the grey screen with the apple logo.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have pretty much the same system (details in sig)

I have not managed to get anything to boot, I have followed your guide and I am using the original 10.5.0 dvd, I selected guid partition.

I am stuck in exactly the same place as hashholly

Any help would be greatly received

I have pretty much the same system (details in sig)

I have not managed to get anything to boot, I have followed your guide and I am using the original 10.5.0 dvd, I selected guid partition.

I am stuck in exactly the same place as hashholly

Any help would be greatly received

Actually, im wondering, did you have everything pluged in when you tried to boot, or just mouse/keyboard? im wondering if thats causing an issue because that "waiting for root" error showed up right after it attempted to load bluetooth drivers for me

im a total noob at this, but im begining to wonder if its something to do with it looking for it waiting for a graphics driver and not finding one? I have this itchy feeling its one file thats causing the whole thing not to work right
Make sure removed AppleEFI and added dsmos kext and corrected permission ,Check my BIOS setting and compare yours SATA has to be AHCI mode
I have pretty much the same system (details in sig)I have not managed to get anything to boot, I have followed your guide and I am using the original 10.5.0 dvd, I selected guid partition.I am stuck in exactly the same place as hashhollyAny help would be greatly received
Remove AppleEFI , AppleintelCPUPowemangement kext , and make sure dsmos.kext is added with correct permission and in BIOS SATA is AHCI mode

only thing i have plugged in (other than keyboard and mouse) is a firewire 800 card

Remove AppleEFI , AppleintelCPUPowemangement kext , and make sure dsmos.kext is added with correct permission and in BIOS SATA is AHCI mode
I dont think i changed permissions, i have been through this thread loads and must have missed it, can you point me in the direction of how to do that (i will look through the posts again also)

Make sure removed AppleEFI and added dsmos kext and corrected permission ,Check my BIOS setting and compare yours SATA has to be AHCI modeRemove AppleEFI , AppleintelCPUPowemangement kext , and make sure dsmos.kext is added with correct permission and in BIOS SATA is AHCI mode

did everything there, except i cant bee too sure about the CPUPowermangement kext removal. lets just say i did remove it, and did everything else you've said, what else could be wrong?

Thank You

I was stuck at the apple logo as well. I finally got it working last night.

I found a few commands for activating the owner permissions on the hard drive. More on that in a second. (This is what I remember from memory, sorry if this has already been repeated.)

I first installed kalyway's Version on a spare hard drive. I used this for the actual install. Once I got that working I did the following:

1) Grab the latest version of ls8's files at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165. I unzipped the files on the hard drive where I installed Kalyway.

2) Reformatted harddrive (guid). Get the name of the hard drive by clicking on the hard drive then clicking the 'Info' button. should say something like disk1s2.

3) Opened up terminal and used the 'cd' command to navigate to the directory where I unzipped the files. Open the pre-patch.sh file in textedit. Change any instance from disk0s2 to the id of the hard drive in step #2.

4) Typed 'sudo -s" to log in as root.

5) dragged the pre-patch.sh file to the terminal window. This put the command I needed to execute at the command line. Press enter.

This created the efi on the hard drive and got the drive ready to install Leopard.

6. Mount the Leopard DVD (or make an image of the DVD and mount that--which I did).

7. type: cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

then: open OSInstall.mpkg

This runs the leopard install. Cross your fingers.

When it completes, type: /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx where xxx is the name of the hard drive you just installed leopard. (I didn't do this the last time, but it sets the permissions)

8. Use the 'cd' command to go back to where you have the unzipped files again. Edit the file so that the $destination variable is equal to the name of the hard drive you installed leopard. Run the post-patch.sh file the same way you did the pre-patch.

9. Just to make sure, navigate to the extensions directory and type the following commands for the NVinject.kext, dsmos.kext and AppleSMBios.kext kexts:

chmod -R 755 example.kext

chown -R root:wheel example.kext

- substitute example.kext with the name of each one of the kexts mentioned above.

10. Repair your permissions again, just to make sure.

Reboot your machine and hold your breath. Hopefully you should get past the apple logo and into the Welcome screen.

Terrance

I was stuck at the apple logo as well. I finally got it working last night.

I found a few commands for activating the owner permissions on the hard drive. More on that in a second. (This is what I remember from memory, sorry if this has already been repeated.)

I first installed kalyway's Version on a spare hard drive. I used this for the actual install. Once I got that working I did the following:

1) Grab the latest version of ls8's files at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165. I unzipped the files on the hard drive where I installed Kalyway.

2) Reformatted harddrive (guid). Get the name of the hard drive by clicking on the hard drive then clicking the 'Info' button. should say something like disk1s2.

3) Opened up terminal and used the 'cd' command to navigate to the directory where I unzipped the files. Open the pre-patch.sh file in textedit. Change any instance from disk0s2 to the id of the hard drive in step #2.

4) Typed 'sudo -s" to log in as root.

5) dragged the pre-patch.sh file to the terminal window. This put the command I needed to execute at the command line. Press enter.

This created the efi on the hard drive and got the drive ready to install Leopard.

6. Mount the Leopard DVD (or make an image of the DVD and mount that--which I did).

7. type: cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

then: open OSInstall.mpkg

This runs the leopard install. Cross your fingers.

When it completes, type: /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/xxx where xxx is the name of the hard drive you just installed leopard. (I didn't do this the last time, but it sets the permissions)

8. Use the 'cd' command to go back to where you have the unzipped files again. Edit the file so that the $destination variable is equal to the name of the hard drive you installed leopard. Run the post-patch.sh file the same way you did the pre-patch.

9. Just to make sure, navigate to the extensions directory and type the following commands for the NVinject.kext, dsmos.kext and AppleSMBios.kext kexts:

chmod -R 755 example.kext

chown -R root:wheel example.kext

- substitute example.kext with the name of each one of the kexts mentioned above.

10. Repair your permissions again, just to make sure.

Reboot your machine and hold your breath. Hopefully you should get past the apple logo and into the Welcome screen.

Terrance

i will try this method when i get home, though i think its pretty much inline with everything else i tried and failed, lol. I guess my question is what were you doing differemt;y when booting hung for you?

i will try this method when i get home, though i think its pretty much inline with everything else i tried and failed, lol. I guess my question is what were you doing differemt;y when booting hung for you?

I originally tried to install the OS through one of my macs at home, but it was dying on the install. I had a copy of leopard (Brazilmac) installed on an old laptop so I had tried it there; I did basically the same thing except for the permission commands and I that's when I got as far as the Apple logo. I figured I needed to install the OS on the same equipment I wanted to use; that's when I installed the Kalyway DVD. That install went pretty smooth, since I picked the equipment that most others in the ls8 thread uses.

Once I went through the steps again, adding the commands for permissions and repairing the permissions on the disk, the Welcome screen appeared and I was able to use the Migration Assistant to move my information from my powerbook to the machine.

Right now I'm also using the jmicron kext so I can see the IDE discs I have connected (Windows XP), but I'll migrate that disk to a sata drive when I get more cash. I haven't did too much work with it (I got everything set up before I had to go to work), but so far so good. It's waaaaaay faster than what I had with the G4 processor!

Terrance

I originally tried to install the OS through one of my macs at home, but it was dying on the install. I had a copy of leopard (Brazilmac) installed on an old laptop so I had tried it there; I did basically the same thing except for the permission commands and I that's when I got as far as the Apple logo. I figured I needed to install the OS on the same equipment I wanted to use; that's when I installed the Kalyway DVD. That install went pretty smooth, since I picked the equipment that most others in the ls8 thread uses.

Once I went through the steps again, adding the commands for permissions and repairing the permissions on the disk, the Welcome screen appeared and I was able to use the Migration Assistant to move my information from my powerbook to the machine.

Right now I'm also using the jmicron kext so I can see the IDE discs I have connected (Windows XP), but I'll migrate that disk to a sata drive when I get more cash. I haven't did too much work with it (I got everything set up before I had to go to work), but so far so good. It's waaaaaay faster than what I had with the G4 processor!

Terrance

hmm, just to be clear you installed kalaway on a drive, then installed retail leopard over that Kalaway install without formatting it? Right now i think my easiest bet would be to clone my working copy of the kalway install on a second disk, do the steps to make it bootable, than load the retail version of leopard server over it, but i have a bad feeling that wont work either.

hmm, just to be clear you installed kalaway on a drive, then installed retail leopard over that Kalaway install without formatting it? Right now i think my easiest bet would be to clone my working copy of the kalway install on a second disk, do the steps to make it bootable, than load the retail version of leopard server over it, but i have a bad feeling that wont work either.

No, I had 2 drives. One small IDE that I installed Kalyway on; the other drive was where i installed the retail version of Leopard on.

Once you have Kalyway installed, it should be easier to do the retail install.

Is your hard Drive SATA or IDE

Is your hard Drive SATA or IDE

2 SATA. Im begining to think it has something to do with premissions, but maybe i can state exactly what im doing.

HD 1 has working Kalway install (MBR)

HD 2 is blank (To install Leo Server Retail) (GuiD)

In my bios i have HD 1 as #1 in the hard drive boot priority, HD 2 as #2

I install Leo Server on HD 2 according to your guide.

I restart into bios, change hard drive boot priority so the hard drive with the newly installed leopard will boot first

I restart again, it loads the boot screen i select leopard (only OS there) and it attempts to load, hangs at grey screen with apple logo. "Still waiting for root device" error

Like i said i think it has to do with setting premissions but i have no idea what im missing.

2 SATA. Im begining to think it has something to do with premissions, but maybe i can state exactly what im doing.

HD 1 has working Kalway install (MBR)

HD 2 is blank (To install Leo Server Retail) (GuiD)

In my bios i have HD 1 as #1 in the hard drive boot priority, HD 2 as #2

I install Leo Server on HD 2 according to your guide.

I restart into bios, change hard drive boot priority so the hard drive with the newly installed leopard will boot first

I restart again, it loads the boot screen i select leopard (only OS there) and it attempts to load, hangs at grey screen with apple logo. "Still waiting for root device" error

Like i said i think it has to do with setting premissions but i have no idea what im missing.

Yes most likely permission

check with

ls -lr /Volumes/Leo/System/Library/Extensions/

where leo= name of volume where leopard is installed

Yes most likely permission

check with

ls -lr /Volumes/Leo/System/Library/Extensions/

where leo= name of volume where leopard is installed

using that the kext that were added are set to drwxr-xr-x@ while everything else is drwxr-xr-x, could that be the problem?

getting further this time, now it takes me to the grey apple screen with logo, then tells me i need to restart, heres a picture of where it stalls insafe boot, btw how long should safeboot take?

post-175691-1202957081_thumb.jpg

..the last days I forgotten to say thanks to Karakeha1, for this thread, I'm running a good ds4 one with 10.5.2 even I don't notice the "famous" wake up instantaneous of him!

Probably 'cause i'm on a F8 version of bios?!

on 10.5.2 with GFX Sting able to wake up from sleep instantaneous just like before.

Also Now Bluetooth ( I have Anycom 250)works flawlessly ,Stereo headphone works great , able to make call over Skype with headset finally without any issue

I am on BIOS F7

I tried many other versions so far for me F7 worked best

Ok guys need help here. Got everything down PERFECTLY to the point where you reboot after installing from my external installation of leopard. It won't boot! I inserted dsmos, replaced AppleSMBIOS, removed AppleEFIRuntime, removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, repaired permissions, rebooted and I get this. I've been working on it all night trying various other kext files. I'll post a screenshot of my final boot screen before it just stops. Is the problem my networking? I have a fairly common motherboard, and I'm pretty sure that my networking is built in to retail OS X so that shouldn't need patching. Kalyway works just fine, but I would really like to do this with the retail installation method here.

Also, just wondering if maybe it is possible I'm using the wrong versions of either dsmos.kext or AppleSMBIOS.kext. I say this because I have found a few different file sizes of them in downloads, so there must be some differences... Since my retail disc is 10.5.0, should I be using a specific version of AppleSMBIOS or dsmos? If so, and this is the problem, could someone attach the correct versions of these files that I should be inserting into my installation...

Thanks! The first screenshot is of the whole screen and the second is zoomed in on the left half which contains the most important info.

0214081835cl7.jpg0214081836qs5.jpg

mmmhh..

I does mean, when I push the power button I got a fast wake up, but maybe 'cause I need to fill the password , I don't feel right calling it instantaneous ;) gfx string here too.

Even mine got a good apple kboard bluetooth working well, even at bios level, it's a pity it's not able to wake up the machine, but I think it's an issue motherboard related.

Ok guys need help here. Got everything down PERFECTLY to the point where you reboot after installing from my external installation of leopard.

It's your graphics card. You need to install the driver. Try to boot with -legacy or -x.

mmmhh..

I does mean, when I push the power button I got a fast wake up, but maybe 'cause I need to fill the password , I don't feel right calling it instantaneous :) gfx string here too.

Even mine got a good apple kboard bluetooth working well, even at bios level, it's a pity it's not able to wake up the machine, but I think it's an issue motherboard related.

what USB Bluetooth you are using ?