 Leopard (Retail) DVD Perfect Guide 10.5.6 Chameleon 2.0 RC1 April 7,2009

karaakeha1

1,355 posts in this topic

Guessed the one I bought is bad then, doesn't turn on for nothing when its connect on the computer, leo does see it, and it does see my router and everything, but just says connection failed. Gonna see if I can install windows somewhere to check it out and see if it will work in there.

I just spent the last 4 hours reading this entire thread and I'm really looking forward to trying this tomorrow. I started this journey 5 weeks ago when I downloaded Kalyway and installed it on an old rig of mine. Living in Thailand, buying a new mac is an expensive proposition because of the import taxes. I can't even get the DS4, I can only get a DS3P v 2.1, which is nearly identical except for some mods to the PCIe bus, chips are all the same. Altho, i was able to get an E8500, which is not avail in the states yet. I built my rig over the last few weeks based on 4 weeks of research here in this Forum (except for the 8800GT 512MB Gigabyte which I know is not supported correctly yet). It's a solid rig but I am not satisfied with the Kalyway solution, as a 7 year mac user, its just not vanilla enough for me. At least I can use the Kalyway install to setup and mod the target drive. I was going to follow Social Swimmer's guide, but you guys seem to be having less bugs after install and frankly it requires less mods to the Retail Install. Hope that my MOBO variation and vid selection will be a welcome addition to the group and I hope to be able to post my results ASAP. Thanks to everyone here

Sawadee krup, Long Time Listen...

Good luck! It's been about an 8 week journey for me parsing all this info from here and a few other boards as well as a bunch of trial and error (and accidentally formatting and loosing a ton of data (oops)). I think I finally am where I need to be as far as putting all this together.

-M

by the way, here is my build... Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P v 2.1BIOS: Chipset: Northbridge: P35 Express Southbridge: ICH9RBuilt in LAN: Realtek 8111BBuilt in Sound: Realtek ALC889A codecProcessor: E8500 45NM 3.16RAM: G.Skill 1000MHz 2x4 4GBGraphic: GeForce 6800 GT PCI-E 256MB DDR3 & 8800 GT 512MB (waiting on 10.5.2)Network: Will add TRENDnet if can find in ThailandDisplay: HP 23inchand how can I add that to an auto signature? I can't seem to find a place to fill out a signature :)

Sawadee krup, Long Time Listen...Good luck! It's been about an 8 week journey for me parsing all this info from here and a few other boards as well as a bunch of trial and error (and accidentally formatting and loosing a ton of data (oops)). I think I finally am where I need to be as far as putting all this together.-M
Chai Krub! thanks sorry bout the data loss... are you in BKK?

I can't seem to find a place to fill out a signature

Click 'My controls' at the top of the page, then 'Edit Signature' in the left hand panel in the 'Personal Profile' section. Or you can just click HERE

Edit: Shoot, LS8. You just beat me to it :angel:

;) Finally With the Help of This wonderful Form I installed Totally untouched Retail Leopard 10.5 on Gigabyte P35 DS4 rev 2.0

( only deleted AppleEFIRuntime.kext added dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext from EFI 8.0 Folder).

First I have posted latest updates , below the Updates is Install Guide

PS: Using same method I installed Retail Leopard Server and updated to 10.5.1

Update 15 jan : Carbon Copy Cloner Works : Provided Disk to be cloned has EFI installed

Update : on this retail 10.5.1 with EFI 8, installed Adobe CS3 Design Premium Volume version without any modification and all updates work

Update 2 : How to change Icon. I attached file here of Icon.Open it than copy it( CMD+C ) .Right click the drive you want to change the icon open get info. then click on the small icon(smaller one) preview paste you just copied (CMS+V)

Update 3: I replaced Few Kext to retail version , (Apple AHCIPort.kext

IOATAFamily.kext ,IOAHCIFamily.kext) Can Download below

With the result Now

SATA Hard Drive shows as internal Hard Drive

in BIOS now this works with both IDE and AHCI mode

System Profile Shows as ICH9-R AHCI

Check out Pictures of System Profile and disk utilities :P

Update 4; With this P35-DS4 internal ethernet works fine , But I observed funny thing , I am unable to connect to network hard-drive on Airport Extreme , As soon as connect to Wifi (with my installed pci Wifi) shared Hard drive appears . and then even If I disable the wifi ,it stays connected and file transfer is fast.

So to check this I installed another PCI gigabit network card . System recognized instantly .Now without wifi it detects all network drives and shared windows PCS etc . and File transfer lightening fast.

Update 5 With the RLT8168 Drivers All Network issues Sloved . Below you can download (I noticed aslo just confirmed by Is8 : this RLY8168 does not work after wake up from sleep ,you have to restart ) So I am using PCI LAN card 8169 with vanilla Drivers with no issues also no issue with ASUS PCI wifi with vanilla Kext

Update 6 : To shut down press CMD+Alt+Cotrole +Eject

Dec 31, 2007 Update 7 Now able to use XFX 7600 GT with EFI Vanilla kernal without any driver Ckeck new pic belows All Credit goes to eclau Post# 100

UPdate Jan 1,2008: Good news after this above update Now Wake up from sleep is instantaneous :D wow!

1. Download the gfx-string from this page:-

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,55.0.html

For example 7600GT or 7600GS, download GF7xxx

2. Open 7600gs.hst with textedit

Remove "carriage return" after each line (meaning the whole string should be in 1 line, not broken by 'return key')

Now, using Find, look for d0 41 03 0a 00 00 00 00 in the GFX-string

Replace with d0 41 03 0a 01 00 00 00 in GFX-string

3. Next, insert the string into /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist following this guige:-

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,66.0.html

4. Remove nvinject.kext or Natit

5. Reboot

Or Simply replace com.apple.Boot.plist attached below for XFX 7600GS or XFX 7600GT to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Install Guide and Findings

1. Pleasant Surprise Yellow icons of Hard Drives But I can use eSATA Hard drives hot swap-able

2. My Q6600 @3.24Gz Recognized with 4 cores

3. installed from within Leopard to Virgin SATA Hard Drive with GUID partition after applying EFI 8.0 and making it active

4. Mounted Retail 10.5 Leopard Disc

5 Used Terminal to install Leopard 10.5 disc

First. cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages This Command Would Work for Retail DVD or its DMG

Second. open osinstall.mpkg

6. After instillation very fast ( 5-6 mins) deleted InteEFI kext and placed dsmos and SMBIOS in System/Library/Extensions Folder

I was able to boot without any problem to retail 10.5 totally Vanilla Kernel :D

And Successfully applied 10.5.1 Update from apple Site

7. If for some reason does not boot , boot with F8 then -x -v will boo t in safe mode. repair permission and reboot good luck

PS : If you have successful instillation. do post here So other see and helpful.

Inbuilt network worked ,for display just applied Natit_1.0.pkg

Of course For Sound as already everybody did.

You have had great success, how about posting a real guide with step by step instructions? Not assuming we know what you know. It would be appreciated

thanks! ;)

Karaakeha, what you've done sounds really intriguing. Unfortunately, without a more explicit guide, I'm not sure myself and others can attempt it. Would you mind spelling out the process more clearly? Myself and others would greatly appreciate it.

This isn't meant to be a criticism. There are many people here who have a hard time translating their hacking brilliance into good, plain English. Actually, I think that's one of the problems this "movement" is facing at the moment--too many guides that aren't clear enough. It's causing an increasing number of people (not just noobs) to flood the forums and IRC with basic questions seeking clarity.

Thanks for your help. And nice work.

try this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

ok i think im almost there, im stuck at this point-

loading with -x -v log stalls at-

waiting for root device (right after firewire security comment)

if i boot normally i get a 'no entry' small gray logo in the mifddle of the loading screen

Any ideas what im missing?

Guide on Time Machine & ALC899A fixes using EFI

All credits to people who work on gfxutil :P

You can download & learn about gfxutil here & use my 7600gs.plist below for reference.

This guide assumes that you already have the EFI display string, otherwise you can learn to generate your own string from the link above.

1. Copy gfxutil & 7600gs.hst to your desktop

2. Open up Terminal & change directory to your desktop

cd /Desktop

3. Rename 7600gs.hst to 7600gs.hex

mv 7600gs.hst 7600gs.hex

4. Convert hex file to property list file

./gfxutil -s -n -i hex -o xml ./7600gs.hex ./7600gs.plist

5. Find the device path for "ethernet"

./gfxutil -f ethernet

Example output: DevicePath = PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

6. Edit 7600gs.plist with Textedit, adding the following lines:

<key>PciRoot(0x1))/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>built-in</key>

<string>0x01</string>

</dict>

Note: replace the device path with yours

7. Convert plist file to hex file

./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./7600gs.plist ./7600gs.hex

8. Copy the string in the new 7600gs.hex to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

9. Replace /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext with the vanilla one & repair permissions

10. Reboot to a "vanillier" Mac

11. Repeat steps 5 to 9 for ALC899A fix

11.1 Find the device path:

./gfxutil -f pci8086,293e

11.2 Edit 7600gs.plist & add:

<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1b,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>PinConfigurations</key>

<data>

</data>

<key>built-in</key>

<string>0x00</string>

<key>layout-id</key>

<string>0x0000000c</string>

</dict>

11.3 Remove /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext

Hope this helps...

EDIT: guide updated & new files uploaded following bug fix of gfxutil

7600gs.plist for reference: 7600gs.plist.zip

com.apple.Boot.plist for reference: com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Your guide is great, but leaves out some details...that I'm sure you worked hard on figuring out or you knew from past experience. Just wondering if you could post more information and share in more detail on how to use the tool. I have the tool downloaded right now, but don't know where to begin in fixing first off, my sound, then my video. And like mostly all of us, we have families, work, etc... so your share and time to share is appreciated and valued.

if i boot normally i get a 'no entry' small gray logo in the mifddle of the loading screen

im having this same issue, im going to try following the guide from sratch again, im so pissed because i know im so close to getting it running, but it stalls at the grey screen.

:) Installed 10.5.2 Combo update on 10.5.0( reatil Version with Netkas hint.

Xbench score for Q6600 CPU at stock speed jumped from 138 to 151

is it possible you can help with this problem, i follwed your guide to the T but im running into this issue

waiting for root device (after bluetooth comment)

karaakeha1, any ideas about my problem? i have not got osx booted yet but i must be quite close.