Guide+Support; to installing EFI v8+ dual booting(Pics)

i_am...me

454 posts in this topic

followed your guide for method 2. created the GUID partition ok. Ran all the terminal commands ok. Rebooted got sys config com.apple.boot.plist not found. Rebooted with Brazil Leopard. Began install.

At this point I get an error Installer could not validate contents of the base system package.

This Brazil Leopard DVD was used with EFI 5.1 and everything worked. So It looks like 7.2 and GUID may not work for me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Or is it back to 5.1 and MBR for me.

When installing?

If it is then its a problem with the DVD

Hey!

first thanks for ur guide I_am..me then ,

I didn't use ur guide but probably u would be very Helpful. :)

I got linux+tiger+leo on my makacer, as detailed on mine sig, yesterday I was giving a shot with v72 and i didn't get it right.

At the end I had to replace with the old v5..because after grub passed the command to darwin, it said system com apple..blabla, didn't find.

Do u have any point direction for understanding a bit more on mine problem..if it is just a problem! :-)

I am having that package 0 .... HPET error too,

so i just replace dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext?

Also I would like to know whether people have more success using BrazilMac DVD or ToH RC2 to install after efi v7.3

Who have successes with each and can share what they did?

edit: Also When I boot into the BrazilMac DVD and use Terminal, to replace dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext,

i get : Read-Only file system.

how can i replace those files to get it working?

Thanks

Joanthan

Installed 7.3 last night. I am going back to 5.

It works great, no problems at all. However, the only reason I went to 7.3 is because it was said that there would be a performance increase (albeit slight). However, from MBR to GUID I have noticed a HORRIBLE performance DECREASE. In fact, I put it on a FASTER DRIVE and it is still far slower with boot and application loading.

Unsure what the deal is, but that is a no go for me. :(

hey guys. installing the efi part is not a problem. my problems come when i install leopard it wont boot. im using a toh disk. could you guys please give me the exact steps i need to follow from when i install efi on guid to when i install leopard and any patching? thanks

where can i get dsmos.kext from?

Hey!first thanks for ur guide I_am..me then ,I didn't use ur guide but probably u would be very Helpful. :( I got linux+tiger+leo on my makacer, as detailed on mine sig, yesterday I was giving a shot with v72 and i didn't get it right.At the end I had to replace with the old v5..because after grub passed the command to darwin, it said system com apple..blabla, didn't find.Do u have any point direction for understanding a bit more on mine problem..if it is just a problem! :-)
Im not familiar with GRUB. sorry
I am having that package 0 .... HPET error too, so i just replace dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext?Also I would like to know whether people have more success using BrazilMac DVD or ToH RC2 to install after efi v7.3Who have successes with each and can share what they did?edit: Also When I boot into the BrazilMac DVD and use Terminal, to replace dsmos.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext, i get : Read-Only file system.how can i replace those files to get it working?ThanksJoanthan
delete AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext some computers can handle some cant.
Installed 7.3 last night. I am going back to 5.It works great, no problems at all. However, the only reason I went to 7.3 is because it was said that there would be a performance increase (albeit slight). However, from MBR to GUID I have noticed a HORRIBLE performance DECREASE. In fact, I put it on a FASTER DRIVE and it is still far slower with boot and application loading.Unsure what the deal is, but that is a no go for me. :(
Wait until spot light finishes indexing... that makes the computer sluggish sometimes
hey guys. installing the efi part is not a problem. my problems come when i install leopard it wont boot. im using a toh disk. could you guys please give me the exact steps i need to follow from when i install efi on guid to when i install leopard and any patching? thankswhere can i get dsmos.kext from?
Im not familiar with ToH. maybe someone else is

hey guys. installing the efi part is not a problem. my problems come when i install leopard it wont boot. im using a toh disk. could you guys please give me the exact steps i need to follow from when i install efi on guid to when i install leopard and any patching? thanks

where can i get dsmos.kext from?

You need to make the HDD bootable. Many people have problems with ToH's release leaving their drives unbootable. To fix that, you have a couple of choices: You can either get JaS 10.4.8 or another Tiger release, install that and even before creating your user account, reboot the machine and start installing Leopard WITHOUT touching Disk Utility at all (just install it on the same HDD where you just installed Tiger) and your HDD will porbably boot perfectly. The other method is using Kalyway's CD - search for "leopard bootable" on the usual places, and use that to make your Leopard HDD bootable. After that, your system should boot. It happened to me and this is how I fixed. Hopefully that'll help.

Good luck ;)

Thanks.

Just recycled an old hdd, then used with an adapter idetousb, now I'm going to try to copy/backup my tiger leo for understanding how it goes.

Ur guide is considered working on an external usbhdd, even, right?

asap I'll post feedback, than i try the v8 too.

Hello @ ALL

I Got somme Questions too, im really new into all this ;)

Ok i got a GA-945GCMX-S2 with a Core 2 Duo "Allendale" E4500, now my question:

I just wanna install Leopard 9a581 on my Single S ATAII Harddrive dont got others drives in it, what do i need 4 that ?

Need i just EFI 5.2 and after i can install leopard from a orginal apple disk !?

And How can i install EFI with just one drive??

THX

You need to make the HDD bootable. Many people have problems with ToH's release leaving their drives unbootable. To fix that, you have a couple of choices: You can either get JaS 10.4.8 or another Tiger release, install that and even before creating your user account, reboot the machine and start installing Leopard WITHOUT touching Disk Utility at all (just install it on the same HDD where you just installed Tiger) and your HDD will porbably boot perfectly. The other method is using Kalyway's CD - search for "leopard bootable" on the usual places, and use that to make your Leopard HDD bootable. After that, your system should boot. It happened to me and this is how I fixed. Hopefully that'll help.

Good luck :D

I not 100% sure, but I don't think the above two methods will work with GUID. The Jas 10.4.8 version only creates MBR partitions. I could be wrong though?

Use v5, v6 is for video cards.

make a directory called efi in the root of your HD

type this in in single user mode on your leopard drive by booting with the flag -s

when it say root type this in.

cd /efi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsY ./boot_v5

it will say HFS blah blah

looking for free words.....

that will install EFI v5.2

i tried this but looks to me it is not working.

have leo running on disk1s1 and vista on disk0s1.

can dual boot and all works fine but somehow the efi will not kick in.

installed leo from flat in vista.

still says:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

i tried this but looks to me it is not working.

have leo running on disk1s1 and vista on disk0s1.

can dual boot and all works fine but somehow the efi will not kick in.

installed leo from flat in vista.

still says:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: ACPI

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Replace AppleSMBIOS.kext with the one from the EFI package. That will give you the MAC-Pro with serial etc and correct bus speeds.

I am not that good english user. but I try to my best to explain how install leo into Guid partition with Bad Axe 2 mobo..

I had a two disk, one for leo(MBR)installed and another for to make GUID partition disk.

First. make GUID partition and install DVD and patched efi v8 and reboot and click f10 key, choose GUID disk and click enter and every bad axe2 user know that it won't find bootloader.

Reboot go back to the Leo(MBR) and patch efi v7.4 (boot _v7_guid only) and reboot and f10 key and choose GUID disk and press enter key and f8.

Now, bootloader find guid bootable disk.

Go back to the Leo(MBR) and post Kext patch and re-install efi v8 patch and reboot ..f10 .choose guid disk , enter and f8 (I was made Guid partion to make active partition)

Put -v -f word and leo boot in GUID partition..

Upgarade 10.5.1 kernel ,patch sound card and don't for get the _CFGetHostUUIDString Final Extension FIX patch because, some sound program does not installed like iwow...

Simply that was patch efi 8.0 and downgrade to efi 7.4 (boot_v7_guid only) and go back to efi 8.0.

Bad axe 2 is still very stable.

Restart, shutdown and sleep perpectly work.

Also, GUID partition recognize 6.6G DVD which mean can install every printers and foreign language so, I did. :(

You can upgrade without as long as you have replaced your kernel. AppleSMBIOS is needed to correct your system info in 10.5 and 10.5.1

i replaced with speedstep kernel and then did that AppleSMBIOS kext. now i'm stuck at a blue desktop with only a mouse pointer and does nothing :P

Can anyone confirm that the EFI patch works when installing to an external USB drive?

Also, do I need to run "bless" on a drive partitioned with GUID or is that only for MBR partitions?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, it works

no need to bless

I perso need to boot within darwinbootloader (F8) with the rd=diskXsX -v options cause do not boot with the USB HDD boot option in the bios

do not forget to check owner's attributes !

.Wait until spot light finishes indexing... that makes the computer sluggish sometimes

I really wish that was it. I did a clone with CCC, one with GUID and one with MBR. Startup time from apple logo start to initialization of video card on MBR = 15 sec. GUID = 46 sec.

I cannot make the GUID partition bootable on my Gigabyte P35-DS4. I can only get the com.apple.boot.plist not found with the install disk in the drive.

In addition to the instructions here I have also tried

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsx boot

&

sudo bless -device /dev/diskXsx -setBoot –verbose

Still doesn't boot. As I said in a previous post. I also get errors during install. Which I think is because It can't read the GUID partition correctly. If I use the same install DVD on a MBR partition it works fine.

Although it's a very recent model. I'm wondering if my motherboard in my sig can support a GUID partition. Has anyone here been successful with a Gigabyte P35-DS4?