Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

After a lot of different routes I finally got QE/CI on my internal display on my ThinkPad X61 Tablet (X3100). Running vanilla kernel + vanilla X3100 kexts. Removed 950 stuff (including intelintegratedframebuffer) and used Paulicat's latest Natit.

Mine took a little longer to square away because with Natit the system kept trying to load up 1400x1050 as the default, which it (correctly) detects as the native resolution on my machine. I suspect most other X3100 users don't have such an odd or high native resolution, which is why I was getting all... befuddled. For some reason the machine 'sky blue screens' and crashes at 1400x1050. Using SwitchResX I was able to find the maximum working resolution which is 1400x1024 for me. Regardless of the X res, if I set the Y res to anything over 1024 it goes 'sky blue screen'.

Right now the bottom 26 pixels of my screen are just a smear of the last active area display line. I don't really mind, but it would be great to figure out what the issue is. Of course, my situation is a rarity and there is much more important stuff to nail first (namely Dell, etc).

Nice screenshot...Do you think Lila is going to turn Dexter in, or will Doakes start talking to Lundy? :(

Hey guys,I got my laptop to work 100% now with Leo's framebuffer with Natit.kext which I modded for gma.So far I've only tested it on my laptop. I'm skeptical that it will work for desktops without further modification, but its worth testing.You need to make sure you replace your existing AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext with the one from real leo.Move your working framebuffer somewhere outside of /System/Library/Extensions and use ssh to move it back in case you get blue screen.Here it is:http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ej2e9z2xg1dEDIT: Forgot to attach screenshot of proof, note the GMA950.kext and Framebuffer.kext versions. ;)Paulicat
I have a mini at home running Leo... I will post the dump when I get back from work...
After a quick look at keplenk's ioreg dump, all thats really needed is to adjust naming from GMA 950 to GMA X3100 and adjust device id's. I'll try to make the changes tonight and post a test kext. Again, this will be for laptops first.Can someone please paste in the device id for the GMA X3100 please?As for GMA950 on desktops, I need to see an ioreg dump from a mac mini running Leopard.Any takers?Cheers!Paulicat.

Has anyone with a nonworking GMA X3100 thought of the possibility that laptopdisplay.kext may help the computer recognize the display? I don't want to install Leo on my Dell D630 yet because of the problems I've heard about with the display, but this kext may help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37630 Sorry I can't test this myself, but I need full access to my laptop for the next few days, so I can't risk something going wrong. (I'm using Vista now)

My head is messed up with flu so I hope I come across with some clarity. I will check over and edit tomorrow. Best of luck to others, especially errandwolfe and other Dell users.

Okay, got it working on my ACER Extensa 5620-6830 laptop which has the famous Intel GMA X3100 on a 965M motherboard. I did so without EFI or the latest 10.5.1 vanilla or otherwise kernal (that's for a later date).

First off, I am assuming that along with the TOH RC2 install DVD you have done the right thing and bought Leopard from your Apple dealer. It's not expensive and they deserve a visit. Who knows, you might find yourself leaving with a Mac Mini or iMac! wink_anim.gif

To get this working (in my case) you need the following kexts and Natit.kext. I won't upload but want instead give credit and links to the original posters. So, the specific ones that I used I found here:-

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0282&st=140

Page 8 of the thread qz1722's post

Kext_Helper.zip ( 1.2MB )

10.5.1GMAX3100.zip ( 259.38K )

I didn't use his link to Natit.kext but this one:-

Page 9 of the thread, mitro's post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0282&st=160

Natit.kext.zip ( 19.68K )

Pop these onto a CD or onto an SD card.

Here's what I did.

1. Having used Gparted to partition the hard drive I used uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 (later uphucks don't see the Sata hard drive on this particular laptop) install DVD to format two F32 partitions to Mac OS Extended Journalled, giving those partitions the names Tiger and Leopard; I installed Tiger on the second one (partition table is mbr Vista / Leopard / Tiger) and Leopard on the first. I will need to repair the Vista boot, obviously, but there are threads elsewhere for how to set that up and I hardly use Vista so I'm not in a hurry!

If you have problems installing Leopard as I did try using the -x command, by which I mean press F8 when booting from the Leopard IOH RC2 install DVD and type -x

When installing Leopard make sure you de-select all of the options in Customize.

Once you have installed Leopard, don't boot into the hard drive yet. Using the -x command again with the TOH DVD, let Leopard installer boot up again and then go to Terimal and type the command

/usr/misc/script.sh Leopard

(assuming you called your partition "Leopard", which in my case I did, otherwise substitute whatever name you gave it).

You are now ready to boot Leopard, albeit in my case it was a convoluted process initially requiring an external monitor, though I'm sure a shortcut could be found booting into the Tiger partition and accessing the Leopard partition from there...

Right, you're plugged into an external monitor?

It may be that you are able to boot straight into Leopard and find that X3100 works fine with an external monitor straight off.

In my case I had to - press F8 while booting. Type: -legacy cpus=1

Once Leopard is up and running, go to your Extensions folder. In my case, I click on my Leopard named hard drive, click on System, then click on Library, then click on Extensions.

I now removed all of the G950 kexts - there are four of them - to a folder on the desktop that I called Moved Kexts.

I removed AppleIntigratedFrameBuffer.kext also.

Now, pop in your CD with the Kexts that you downloaded and burned to CD or pop in your SD card reader and card. Drag the contents to the desktop.

Now unpackage the kext's zips on the desktop.

Now startup Kext Helper. Drag the Natit.kext and the two x3100 kexts - the latter two of which were in the 10.5.1GMAX3100.zip - into Kext Helper's window. Type in your admin password and click Easy Install. This will do all of the Terminal commands that you would otherwise have to type... chown and chmod, etc.

Now, this worked for me. Mileage will most probably vary. I was able to boot into Leopard without problem, without having to type either legacy or cpus=1. I can change screen resolutions (no more bleeping vesa...) and the graphical spot effects are all there and smooth.

Good luck :)

Edit - Delish, who made and deserves considerable praise for the excellent app Kext Helper, points out later in this thread: "Just a note to Detox's post 180: Be sure you have atleast version b7 of my Kext Helper when using Leopard."

Has anyone with a nonworking GMA X3100 thought of the possibility that laptopdisplay.kext may help the computer recognize the display? I don't want to install Leo on my Dell D630 yet because of the problems I've heard about with the display, but this kext may help: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=37630 Sorry I can't test this myself, but I need full access to my laptop for the next few days, so I can't risk something going wrong. (I'm using Vista now)

LaptopDisplay.kext does not work :-(

We need paulicat's help on this.

Detosx, is it ok to use the BrazilMAC dvd? I already have that patched, and I am using leopard on my other laptop, an e1505. What would also make this process easier is that I can integrate those kexts and the removal of other kexts with the post-patch used for BrazilMAC. This way everything would be ready for me on first boot. But anyways, are your instructions specific to ToH, or can they be used for any version? (excluding install instructions)

Partial SUCCESS !!!

Installed the Natit.kext

Boot in save mode.

Cursor appeared as a big patchy spot

managed to login and changed resolution to 1600x1000

Reboot and BINGO - no need for external monitor anymore.

Would be nice to fix the cursor problem in 1680 x 1050. It is much better looking and it's the default one (that is why I could not boot in normal mode and needed an external monitor)

Delish! Hats off to you for your excellent kext helper. :( A very nice piece of work.

roneil4 - I couldn't get brazilmac to work so I can only speculate, which seems foolish! If you have the time, give it a try and report back.

I tried to do it myself but I couldn't made it ;) How do I install this kext? After moving it to extensions folder and applying chmod and chown I got a error message (after rebooting). I made a search in the forum but I still don't know how to correctly apply this kext. Can somebody give me the steps to do it?

I'm using an Intel 945GCCR motheboard in my desktop, which has GMA950 (It was working flawlessly on 10.4.8) Thanks in advance

The last few posts have me a bit confused here, so let me just ask this...

Has anyone who has an X3100 who has had the problem with only the external display working found any way to successfully get the internal LCD to work with full QE/CI? Please if you have, could you post detailed steps on what you did.

Thanks.

I just want to say THANK YOU PUALICAT.. YOU ARE A GOLDEN GOD MY MAN

I got the following compaq presario c700 (almost macbook clone) to boot Leopard today for the first time.

Now I'm only down my keyboard/mouse sound and wifi all the rest were identified by the system automaticly & full res is working. You dont know how happy I am right now.

Complete C712NR Specs (a 350.00 black friday special THATS RIGHT!):

Display: 15.4″ WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)

Processor: Intel Core Duo T2310, (1.46 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

Chipset: Santa Rosa platform intel 965 x3100 Graphics

Memory: 1GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Hard Drive: 80GB 5400RPM SATA

Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 *Should be no problem

Wireless: 802.11b/g WLAN *Its a Broadcom bcm4311

Optical Drive: SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support *Optiarc burner

Sound: Conexant High Def audio codec model CX20549 Works in tiger

Alps pointing device works fine

Ports: 3x USB 2.0, VGA, mic-in, headphone-out, S-Video, LAN, modem

If you would like to explain to me what to do with this string, I would be happy to test it. Beyond how to load PC-EFI I really do not know much about how it actually works.

He's talking about editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist and adding that information to the file as mentioned on Netkas' (new) Blog under PC_EFI 7.4

I'd try it but I can't seem to find 7.4 or 8

*EDIT Trying it now..

**EDIT 2 Doesn't work :D (on Dell D630)

Still got blank internal display and now external display is behaving like a second monitor, no finder menu bar or dock and mouse goes off to the left of the screen .

Slug, no way of telling. Since it is recognizing the external display as a secondary monitor, it does not give you the menu bar along the top, so I have no way of getting into system preferences and either reversing the monitor order (so external is primary) or setting them to mirror. Since I have no sound, I can't even use the verbal assists.

here's another guide to open system preferences blind (or at least opening it so you can see it on your external monitor)...

click somewhere random on the external monitor to make sure you're in finder.

hit command+shift+a => this should open your applications folder

type: "sys" really fast => this should select "System Preferences"

hit command+o => this should open system preferences

type: "display" => this will make your system preferences search for display

hit down arrow => this will select the first search result

hit enter => this should open up display preferences..

Display preferences shows up on both monitors, but we only need one to control both... hit "gather windows" button on the display preferences that appear, and you'll be able to change the resolutions to the other monitor as well. give it a shot with paulicat's natit and the EFI string thing and change the resolutions on the internal monitor closest to your monitor's native resolution, that might do it.

also, you can go to arrangements and set your external as primary so if you boot up again, you don't have to blindly navigate...

Great, thanks that got me the display preferences.

When I change resolutions it just changes the external monitor. If I click "Gather windows" I can then change the primary monitor to the external one.

Interestingly the internal monitor resolution is being detected as 1440x900 which is correct, and if I change it laptop screen flickers but nothing happens.

Is it then that the refresh rate is wrong for the internal lcd?

Any way to change?

Cloudrainstar you are a god send!

Using your method I was able to flip me displays so the external is now the primary display. I was able to verify QE and CI are both working! Now if we can only get the INTERNAL display to work we will be so set! Stay tuned for a screen shot.

Warning!!

If you attempt this method DO NOT try to mirror your displays.