Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 6400 /w GMA950 and the Natit kext does not seem to work with this, I just get a Black screen as I did previously without the Natit installed and the original framebuffer - I was wondering, are there any plans to support this?

The kext definitely loads, as I see the output from Natit in verbose mode, so it's not that.

If you need anything from me, please ask - just ask here in the topic - not via PM as my PM inbox is constantly full here! :unsure:

The graphics adapter works with the old modified AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext (version 1.4.20.28) but not the original Leopard one (version 1.5.16.0).

Many Thanks,

~mac.nub

Works perfectly on my X3100 laptop, too.Thanks a lot, paulicat!!
Hi headliner,I'm just curious how you made it work. I can't make it work on my laptop for some reason =( I also have X3100.All I got was this using the natit.kextIMG_1227.jpgI was talking with Paulicat but I guess he went to sleep. =(He told me to edit some information like the dev ids in the Info.plistAre you using a different AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext? =( Anyone with X3100 lappys having this problem? Or am I the only one making stuff wrong =(
the white/distorted screen means the display is working, but not running at the correct resolution. Try booting with "Graphics Mode"="your screen's native resolution"
I didn't work for me =( According to Paulicat I was having problems with my Dev ids .. its loading Alkor thing twice .. So I deleted some dev ids in the Info.plist but it doesnt help =(

You have to add your device ID on gmaInject.kext in Info.plist, for example my device ID is 0x27728086 so check what's yours, and do the chmod, chown, delete cache, etc.

Is this also applicable in GMAX3100?? I dont have any gmaInject.kext in my extension folder?

THanks.

paulicat - Any chance of this ever working with Dell laptops, such as the Inspiron 6400? - I have one with a GMA950 and am using Leopard GM.

All I currently get, both with and without the driver is a Black screen - The driver does load correctly, but seems to have no effect. Seems my question got skipped :queen:

Cheers,

~mac.nub

paulicat, your desktop one did not work with my Gigabyte motherboard.

Just to make sure I installed it right... I did.

cp -R ../Natit.kext to Extensions folder

chmod -R 755

chown root:wheel

repaired permissions

rebooted

If I go to System Profiler, and look under extensions I see that Natit.kext/gma950/framebuffer are all loaded, but still only one resolution.

Hi,

After doing a series of troubleshooting steps, I still have the same problem. I've tried deleting (one at a time) some device ids in Info.plist like 0x2a028086 and 0x2a038086 because Alkor loads 2 times in my case. I think I have 0x2a028086 but I still tried it both as per instructions of Paulicat. Having deleted it one at a time, Alkor now loads only 1 time but It still gets stucked on that screen. Out of ideas, I also tried to copy and overwrite the natit.kext included in the brazilmac 9a581PostPatch.sh with the one given by Paulicat and It doesn't freeze after the Alkor but it goes white (this is after a fresh brazilmac ISO install). I tried "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" and it didn't help, still white. This white screen also happens if I use the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer ver 1.5.16 (came from original Leo).

Since alot of people made their X3100 work, I think I'm doing something wrong. Can you please put a detailed instructions on how to make it work.

Btw, this is what I see after applying the natit.kext from Paulicat (using the old AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext version 1.4.20)

IMG_1240.jpg

Desperate,

Keplenk

To be super clear, this is ONLY going to work with the framebuffer from Leopard GM.

If you are dealing with an X3100, you DO NOT care about AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer as that is ONLY for gma950's.

For X3100's the proper framebuffer is: AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, you can safely delete the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and any other GMA950 related files but be sure you see this 3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

Here is my last test release for tonight:

http://www.mediafire.com/?02e0vby2wle

As for Dells, I'm not even sure where to begin...

Paulicat.

To be super clear, this is ONLY going to work with the framebuffer from Leopard GM.

If you are dealing with an X3100, you DO NOT care about AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer as that is ONLY for gma950's.

For X3100's the proper framebuffer is: AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext, you can safely delete the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and any other GMA950 related files but be sure you see this 3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

Paulicat.

I have a GMA950 board, and I am using the Leopard framebuffer with your Natit.kext and still no luck.

Paulicat,

Using the kext given in #61, and the Leopard standard AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer, (Apple kernel, updated AppleACPIPlatform, netkas' bundled AppleSMBIOS), I do not get a display to come up.

Booting in verbose, I end up with

Alkor: Starting.

Chosen model GMA 950

Alkor: Setting built-in=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting AAPL,HasPanel=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting AAPL,NumFramebuffers=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting AAPL,NumDisplays=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting AAPL01,Depth=<data not shown>

Alkor: Setting AAPL01,Pipe=<data not shown>

GFX0: match category IOFramebuffer exists

then some stuff for my ethernet driver, then Login Window Application Started, then zilch. I'm stuck staring at this text.

Running on a Sony Vaio TZ laptop, 965 chipset, GMA 950 graphics controller.

Keplenk,

try this

turn on voice over with command + F5,

move your mouse (even though you can't see it) to the upperleft corner of the screen,

hit "down" 5 times, and you should hear it say "System Preferences Ellipses"

Hit space, you should now be in System preferences.

Hit tab until you hear "Display Preferences", then hit space.

Hit tab twice, you should hear "Table 1, Row 1, 800x600@60hz"

hit "down" to go to a bigger resolution

hit tab twice quickly to go to "confirm", and hit space

repeat those last 2 steps a lot of times, and your display will keep switching between black and distorted... after a while you should reach your native resolution, and be able to see your screen...

hope that works...

Keplenk,

try this

turn on voice over with command + F5,

move your mouse (even though you can't see it) to the upperleft corner of the screen,

hit "down" 5 times, and you should hear it say "System Preferences Ellipses"

Hit space, you should now be in System preferences.

Hit tab until you hear "Display Preferences", then hit space.

Hit tab twice, you should hear "Table 1, Row 1, 800x600@60hz"

hit "down" to go to a bigger resolution

hit tab twice quickly to go to "confirm", and hit space

repeat those last 2 steps a lot of times, and your display will keep switching between black and distorted... after a while you should reach your native resolution, and be able to see your screen...

hope that works...

Thanks for this guided steps. You nailed it cloudrainstar! It just made my day =) It took for 15 mins though, its kinda hard for me :whistle:

Check this out:

nice.jpg

I just have some few question. As you can see, when I clicked Capture (upper area), the dropdown list is all white and blank. Also, there are certain times that tab selections are also blank. The Bottom part is also blurry and distored (its not seen in this picture and its about half an inch from the bottom part)

By the way, is there a way that I can choose a resolution of 1280x800x32? I noticed that it doesnt give me an option to choose x800 ... Its only x768 and I guess it skips to x1008 and x1200. This laptop has a maximum resolution of 1280x800 in Windows. In Leo, it gives only 1280x768 =(

Again thank you all for your help. Special thanks to Paulicat. =)

Cheers,

Keplenk

Paulicat.

Hi Pulicat,

I tried your Natit, firstly as you have done, but no success;

Secondly, I edited the Info.plist in Natit, by adding my identifiers (0x29c28086) in Natit's info.plist, no success;

Thirdly, I edited the info.plist of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB, by adding my identifiers too, no success;

Every time I got no panics and no display scrumbles, but I still have no driver activity for GMA x3100.

If it helps, my identifiers are: Vendor: 8086, Device: 29c2.

Keep it up. Our hopes is in your great work! ;)

Right... The reason for it picking the wrong resolution by default which has caused so many people to have problems is probably that the VGA BIOS is returning a lot of resolutions which are invalid for the internal panel. As you can see in my screenshot, 1280x800 is the highest resolution returned for the internal screen, which is correct, and probably why it worked without hassle on my machine.

Perhaps there is a way to make Natit prevent OS X selecting the highest resolution by default (which is invalid for the panel in some cases, as we can see)

Hi Paulicat,

Thanks for your reply.

I was chatting to someone on IRC who seemed to belive that this was because the memory for the GMA950 on Dells was allocated differentely.

I appreciate that it would be extremely hard for you to get this working as you do not have a Dell, but if you do ever decide to experement with it, feel free to contact me via my website so that I can do whatever I can to help - even if only testing it.

Cheers,

~mac.nub

Right... The reason for it picking the wrong resolution by default which has caused so many people to have problems is probably that the VGA BIOS is returning a lot of resolutions which are invalid for the internal panel. As you can see in my screenshot, 1280x800 is the highest resolution returned for the internal screen, which is correct, and probably why it worked without hassle on my machine.

Perhaps there is a way to make Natit prevent OS X selecting the highest resolution by default (which is invalid for the panel in some cases, as we can see)

Are you also having distortion problems? Do you have any suggestions to remedy this issue?

I really hope other devs will also follow-up on what Paulicat started =)

Again, THanks for your great work =)

Are you also having distortion problems? Do you have any suggestions to remedy this issue?

I really hope other devs will also follow-up on what Paulicat started =)

Again, THanks for your great work =)

For what it is worth I second that, especially on the X3100 front! Well done Paulicat, managed to crack a smile through the flu virus that has floored me.

For clarification, has anyone with a Dell been able to get their X3100 working? It looks like Keplenk might have as he is describing the same issue Dell people are having. Unfortunately Keplenk does not say exactly what hardware he is running. Would love to test that solution myself, but I have no sound, so Voice Assist doesn't do me much good.

For clarification, has anyone with a Dell been able to get their X3100 working? It looks like Keplenk might have as he is describing the same issue Dell people are having. Unfortunately Keplenk does not say exactly what hardware he is running. Would love to test that solution myself, but I have no sound, so Voice Assist doesn't do me much good.

Hi,

I'm sorry.

I have Sony VAIO VGN-CR140e/b

Everything seems to be workng fine. Audio (except headphone jack) and NIC works .. Even the special buttons panel works (mute, volume + volume -, etc)

ATM (I haven't explored yet), the only hardware problem is Distorted Video. I can't maximize my resolution to 1280x800 .. I can only hit 1280x768

Cheers.

p.s. Wireless 4965AGN doesn't work too.

There were similar issues in Linux which is what made me think it may be a BIOS issue - the explanation, as I recall, roughly boiled down to that the video BIOS on some machines doesn't probe the LVDS EDID or alternatively have a proper table of suitable resolutions hardcoded in for the panel because the Windows driver works out valid resolutions from EDID at runtime anyway - another case of 'to hell with proper implementation, the driver (in Windows) does it anyway.' which was the cause of problems with 512MB NVidia cards too. Unfortunately, not every OS has drivers which have been coded with the expectation of making up for deficiencies in BIOS coding.