Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

afaik the 5787 isn't working yet ;)

neither the wifi adapter... They're working on a driver, but the coder does not have the hardware he need to create a real working one atm.

I bought an wifi usb adapter with ralink chip which is good supported... use search for more details :D

I hope, I'll get it by today :D

I can't see how it's going to make any difference, I'm afraid. The same thing is being done as Natit, just earlier on in the boot process. Plus, the only way we have to obtain the string is from a working Mac or Hackintosh, so the card will be initialised exactly the same way as it would on say, my machine, which evidently doesn't work for you...

Hello!

This is my first post. I want to thank everyone for helping out the community. I've read all of this post here, and I had struggles getting the GMAX3100 to work for 1280x800.

I had to use an External monitor to do this. However, I managed to get the resolution to work for my laptop system below using SwitchResX (not SwitchResXControl). I used the Vendor ID and Device ID from the "About this Mac Graphic/Display Profile". Using the program, SwitchResX, go to Setting of window bar and click on "Other unattached display", I entered the Vendor ID 8086 in the Vendor ID box and the Device ID 2a02 in the Product ID box and clicked "OK". Click Apply and enter your admin password and close program, may ask you to save, save it and asks for admin password again. Reboot computer and I got the 1280x800 resolution using the Internal screen with Core Image Hardware accelerated QE Supported. Here are the 3 graphic .kext files for the Acer Aspire 5920-6470.

Here they are: GMAX3100_ASPIRE_5920.zip

Pic : post-107837-1198096158_thumb.jpg

My System:

Acer Aspire 5920-6470

Leopard 10.5.1 (working) Followed with some file structure on USB stick http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear

GMAX3100 video (working) Using SwitchResX

Vendor ID 0x8086

Device ID 0x2a02

Internal Speakers (working)

Mic (not working, but may have solution)

Acer built in webcam (working)

Sleep (not working yet, it just reverts back to normal after trying to Sleep the computer)

*** Make sure you delete the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext while you are installing the 3 graphic kext files.

@gr8mac7

Yessss! It works! :):):)

Thank You Sir! :)

I've made all steps on Toshiba A200-1MY (X3100) without external monitor. After restart i can see 1280x800. It is worth to add that I've filled up only vendor and device, no need to add frequences. It was worth not to go to sleep :P

Toshiba A200-1-MY: T7250,965,X3100,Leo by ToH, EFI5.1

So far I have been unsuccessful with Gr8mac7's solution. That really isn't saying much though...

All I have really been able to test are the 3 kext files he included. Using those 3 I get the same results as usual, black/powered down LCD with only external monitor working.

Unfortunately I have not been able to try the SwitchRes app to modify the system. You need to boot with the GMAX3100 kexts in place. Of course doing so only gives me my external display acting as a secondary monitor. The problem is I can not seem to bring up display preferences using the keyboard sequence I had noted somewhere else....So I can not switch my external display to the primary display, so I basically have a useless system since everything displays on my dead LCD.

Certainly if someone else knows how to make that switch so they can work on the external display then please do try this method and let us know the results.

Hello everybody i have an intel gma 950 and i am having no luck with the natit kext included with the thread and the 10.5.1 kexts the problem with the two drivers is that the internal laptop lcd panel will show a blue background but the external monitor port will display the desktop properly with the correct resolution and with quartz and core image acceleration... i was wondering if there was another driver or combination of drivers that may help me solve this problem.

thanks

-rob

So far I have been unsuccessful with Gr8mac7's solution. That really isn't saying much though...

All I have really been able to test are the 3 kext files he included. Using those 3 I get the same results as usual, black/powered down LCD with only external monitor working.

Unfortunately I have not been able to try the SwitchRes app to modify the system. You need to boot with the GMAX3100 kexts in place. Of course doing so only gives me my external display acting as a secondary monitor. The problem is I can not seem to bring up display preferences using the keyboard sequence I had noted somewhere else....So I can not switch my external display to the primary display, so I basically have a useless system since everything displays on my dead LCD.

Certainly if someone else knows how to make that switch so they can work on the external display then please do try this method and let us know the results.

errandwolfe if you have another computer you may try connect with vnc/screen sharing, I do that when I test an unsupported resolution by ma CRT monitor, so with my other computer I connect via VNC and I can manipulate the Display Preference.

I will try the switchresX thing with my dell (with NV8400).

Thank you Macgirl for the brilliant but yet should have been so obvious solution!

Using Screen Sharing I have been able to log into my laptop with all the kexts loaded and no external display attached. The result is we now have some information.

1. Quartz Extreme and Core Image are being enabled.

2. I am able to change the resolution however even dropping down to 640x480 the LCD does not power on.

3. I can switch between color levels, however no selection powers on the LCD.

4. I am NOT able to change the refresh rate. I do not know if this is as a result of being logged in on screen sharing or not. Personally I am inclined to say if it will let me change the display resolution it would let me change the refresh rate. If someone with two working Macs can use screen sharing to test that it would be appreciated.

I am now going to try using SwitchResX and see if that gets me anywhere.

Here is my display page from System Profiler:

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x000c

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

Okay ladies and gents, I have good news and bad news....

How bout good news first.....I have been able to get the internal LCD working with full QE/CI and no external monitor.

Bad news now...It had nothing to do with SwitchResX. Tried everything I could and did no good.

Oh wait did I neglect to say there was some so-so news...I am not sure where exactly I read it, but another user had mentioned if your sleep your laptop when it comes back so does the display! So though it may be inconvenient, we do now have at least somewhat a working display.

I will update this later with specific instructions of which kexts to install and what key commands to use to sleep your system. Just a warning ahead of time, I do believe you need to be using the graphics string in PCEFI to pull this off. I was not getting QE/CI without adding my device string.

If you have a Dell or other laptop that the LCD simply powers off when loginwindow.app loads then this solution has a good chance of working for you:

Prerequisites:

1. Another Mac running Leo

1a. If no Leo is available, a familiarity with VNC and another computer on which to run it.

2. Your laptop must be running the sleep kernel, you can not run the vanilla leo kernel

3. You must enable screen sharing on your laptop. If you don't have another Leo machine available, make sure you configure the VNC option

4. PC-EFI (I recommend version 8, you will need 7.2 or higher)

Steps:

1. You must generate a hex string for your specific machine. This is a complex process and has been discussed earlier in this thread and others. I would suggest you visit Netkas' forums to find out more about this. It is possible that the generic dump from a Macbook with a GMA X3100 would work, I have not tested it.

2. Insert that hex string into your boot.plist file. Again, information about this can be found on Netkas' site.

3. Make sure you delete AppleIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

4. Download this file. In it you will find the generic AppleIntelGMAX3100 kexts, the version of Natit I am using, and a copy of my Boot.plist file. I would assume anyone with the same laptop as I could use this file with zero or little modification.

5. Install all the kexts, remembering to repair permissions.

6. Reboot

7. Once your hard drive stops spinning, hit your power button, hit tab, hit space. The computer should now be asleep.

8. Hit your power button to wake your laptop, and woo hoo, your display should be working.

You will just need to repeat steps 7 and 8 after each time you power off or reboot.

Good luck, and I hope this works for you. At least now we know for sure it is simply a power management issue.

Thank you Macgirl for the brilliant but yet should have been so obvious solution!

Glad to know it worked.

I follow this thread every day because when the office bought my Dell it also bought another one but with X3100 for the CEO, so I'm very interested that this work some day :)

I replied too soon, great news errandwolfe, I may try this (well sort of this) solution on my Dell with 8400GS, because I observerd that it does not hangs when NDAResman is in the Extensions but no GUI.

A few quick notes of my own. I was also able to get this solution working for my own notebook which is a Dell Vostro 1500 with the X3100 in it. I am not using PCEFI. I am using a stock [ToH] RC2 install with the X3100 tailored Nantit, and the 10.5.1 X3100 kexts (easily locatable in these forums). Since I cannot get my notebook to fall all the way asleep and then wake back up (she locks) I merely set my DISPLAY sleep timeout to be 1 minute. On the initial boot of my Dell I wait an addition minute after the screen goes blank then I bump the touchpad and the notebook screen comes to life. Woot!

I was unnable to control the brightness of my notebook panel in the display preferences. That was an annoyance because the panel was WAY too bright. To correct this I went into my notebook's BIOS and set the default brightness level a few steps down. This worked great as well.

I hope that helps a little!

-Jer

ok. i am runnin the new kalyway dvd 10.5.1 on an acer 5220, x3100 pc efi. connected to secondary vga out i get resolution change / ci / qe out of the box! but JUST on secondary monitor. i tried a lot of things to get it on the internal, but must of the discussed stuff here is how to get ci/qe runnin - can somebody please help? this x3100 threads are so full of chaos ...

Excellent I now have a working display with CI & QE. Thanks for the work so far and the idea of sleeping the display.

I have further developed this idea into a more workable solution, this will sleep and wake the display automatically at startup

1. Install SleepDisplay into Applications:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display

2. Create the following script in script editor:

tell application "SleepDisplay" to launch

delay 1

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "`" using {command down}

3. Save it as an Application.

4. Add this application to startup items (System Prefs, Accounts, Login Items, + and add the app)

5. Reboot and enjoy.

Does anyone know of a way I can launch this script at LoginWindow instead of after login?

hi all,

i'm currently using GA-945GCMX-s2 motherboard w/ built in GMA950 Display Controller.

i used ToH Leopard DVD, got 1440x900 resolution on my viewsonic monitor (native)

i update to pc_efi_v80 then 10.5.1 Leopard,

Problem:

1. resulution stock only @ 1024x728

2. cannot change resolution to 1440x900 (native resolution of my screen)

Also having problem w/ artifacts. @ finder.

need help. :(

Excellent I now have a working display with CI & QE. Thanks for the work so far and the idea of sleeping the display.

I have further developed this idea into a more workable solution, this will sleep and wake the display automatically at startup

1. Install SleepDisplay into Applications:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display

2. Create the following script in script editor:

tell application "SleepDisplay" to launch

delay 1

tell application "System Events" to keystroke "`" using {command down}

3. Save it as an Application.

4. Add this application to startup items (System Prefs, Accounts, Login Items, + and add the app)

5. Reboot and enjoy.

Does anyone know of a way I can launch this script at LoginWindow instead of after login?

Jim22,

Awesome find! There's no need for the script. This application can just be registered directly as a logon item via :

System Preferences -> Accounts -> [select the desired user] -> Login Items