Users with GMA 950 / X3100 Real Macs needed here

enb14

686 posts in this topic

After a quick look at keplenk's ioreg dump, all thats really needed is to adjust naming from GMA 950 to GMA X3100 and adjust device id's. I'll try to make the changes tonight and post a test kext. Again, this will be for laptops first.

Can someone please paste in the device id for the GMA X3100 please?

As for GMA950 on desktops, I need to see an ioreg dump from a mac mini running Leopard.

Any takers?

Cheers!

Paulicat.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bxd23npa0cb

Test version for laptops with GMA X3100. I poked around and found a device id of 2a02 for GMA X3100, can someone with one of these cards confirm that is correct?

If not, please post the correct device id please.

Please boot with -v to see if Alkor is loading any settings.

Repair permissions blah blah the usual... :P

Paulicat

I am not sure why, but in WinXP I have two devices for my video driver....Vendor ID: 8086 Device ID: 2A02Vendor ID: 8086 Device ID: 2A03This is an Intel GMA X3100 on a Dell D630 lappy.

Paulicat, Will that work on 10.4.x or is it Leopard only? I have no external display so can't install Leo until I can replace the files on the install DVD.

http://www.mediafire.com/?bomklzh0m0d

Updated to hold both device id's posted by errandwolfe.

As for Tiger support, did apple release X3100 kexts in a tiger update? If not, you're out of luck for tiger support.

However, if someone wants to try this on a gma950 in Tiger I'd be interested to know if it works with the later efi based framebuffers.

For the record I haven't tested this on Tiger at all since using the old 10.4.5 framebuffer worked perfectly up to and including 10.4.11.

Someone please step up and paste an ioreg dump from a mac mini running leopard.

There's lots of people with GMA 950 based desktop boards waiting for you.

Paulicat.

P.S This kext should support both GMA 950 and GMA X3100.

Okay,

I will update this as I make progress. I am removing the X3100 kexts from the DVD so hopefully I will be able to install Leopard in VESA mode. Once I am up and running I will install this kext and report results.

UPDATE 1: Thanks to Azureul's obvious but yet completely overlooked method (at least by me) I am currently installing the ToH RC2 release. Stay tuned for updates.

UPDATE 2: After installing Leo am getting an immediate kernel panic on boot. Don't have any more time to look at this tonight, will continue my efforts tomorrow.

Cloudrainstar can you confirm that you now have full resolution switching on the laptops lcd display please?

I just want to know exactly to which extent it worked for you.

Also, I notice you have the external display...you have both displays working properly?

If so, thats a bonus!

Paulicat.

my laptop display can only display up to 1024x768.. it seems to screw up when displaying the smaller resolutions..

but yes, i have both displays working! :D

I'm running leopard, and I didn't remove any of the X3100 kexts, like paulicat said, I just put in his natit.kext for the internel display to work!

Azurael, which Leopard release did you use? Do I simply install the natit with kext helper? Things don't seem different but that might be because I messed around with the x3100 kexts before...

Nevermind, I restored my X3100 kexts and now everything works perfectly! paulicat, you rock!

THis sounds good!! I just woke up and I haven't tested anything yet. =) Its my birthday today and I might say, this is the best birthday gift ever!! THanks to you Lord Paulicat!!! =)

By the way, what AppleIntegratedbuffer.kext are we going to use? Does it matter? Shall we use the one that originally came with Leo? Can we use the one that was included in the PostPatch.sh of Brazilmacs?

And yes, I have here the Ioreg dump file of a 950 from a MACMINI =)

I hope this helps.

Again, Thanks =)

ioreg950.txt

Figures that I would be the only one who can't get this to work...

The natit kext does appear to be loading however the login window never appears. The only error I can see is "VID: Match Catergory IOFramebuffer already exists" This appears both before and after the Alkor messages.

UPDATE:

After seeing an earlier post, I copied the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from the actual Leopard DVD and that partially solved my problem. My laptop's built-in display however remains for lack of a better term, powered off. If I attach an external display, that loads and I can see the Leo wallpaper; However, it looks like this is being treated as a secondary display and my built-in screen remains blank.

I just looked through keplenk's (I'll thank you for everyone with a desktop GMA950 :)) ioreg dump, this might be a really easy fix to get desktop gma950's (possibly even X3000's) working.

I'll post a test release later tonight.

I think it might require a seperate Natit for desktop's and laptops though.

Paulicat.

Hi all,

I was wondering what you did to make it work with your GMAX3100. I've tried 3 fresh installs of Leopard and resulted to no joy.

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS OF WHAT I DID:

(1) I installed a fresh Leo using Brazilmac ISO and applied the 9a581PostPatch.sh (newer version from RS) and repaired permissions

(2) Since I can only boot to safemode, did it. In safemode, I copied the supplied natit.kext (x3100) by Paulicat to the Extensions folder > Authenticate > repaired permissions

(3) Rebooted. And booted with -v parameter only > It reports that the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB has an error (just like before), Its stuck in the DOS-based looking screen but I can see my mouse moving but it doesnt go any further

(4) Rebooted, this time with -v -x >>> I'm back to safemode. In safemode, I deleted the AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext > clicked ok in password > repaird permissions again.

(5) Rebooted with -v >> It reports saying that X3100 is selected >>> THis time I see a bluescreen >>> 2 secs, then it turns white and distorted (white with partly distored colored also)

(6) Plugged in an external monitor, and the external monitor now is totally distored. I have to reinstall everything again to make things work even with safemode =(

I did 3 installations already. I tried using the original AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext from LEO, still no go.

Did I do something wrong? What is the best and right way to copy the supplied natit.kext into my installed Leo?

Thank you very much. I really hope you can help me =)

EDIT:

This Natit enables you to use the leopard X3100 kexts fully and completely.

You don't have to remove anything, all you need to do is chown/chmod this natit and drop it in /System/Library/Extensions.

Paulicat.

Could it be because I didn't do the chown/chmod? How do you do this? Should I boot from the Brazilmac Leo DVD to do this? or just do normal safemode?

Thanks

Thanks guys, keplenk we will study your ioregdump and we will see (paulicat / Diabolik) if we can enable this injector for GMA950 for desktops.

By the way this is how you should add the Graphics mode thing:

"Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32@75"