650 and 680i chipset thread...

JaE-V

931 posts in this topic

insania: backup Qmaster.framework from /Library/Frameworks to desktop or something. Then delete it. I had the same problem, motion and other programs ran except for the main program it crashed on me until I removed the qmaster framework.

beat me to it lol

Thanks. I assume I should boot the tiger hd and check the boot.plist file on the leopard install, is that correct? What do I do if the kernal is not of the same name or not there? Sorry, but I'm Mac challenged.

where's the mach_kernel file? I have no idea where to look. A Finder search is going on now, but I have had no luck thus far.

where's the mach_kernel file? I have no idea where to look. A Finder search is going on now, but I have had no luck thus far.

its hidden...its in the main directory of your hard drive can you access your partition in windows with macdrive?

lol, just my luck. I didn't realize it wasn't supported. I also have a geforce 7600GT. Is that card supported by chance? I am installing the JAS 10.4.8 image now *crosses fingers*. Thanks again for your help JaE-V! :)

Well, I'm back and with semi-good news. I was able to sucessfully install 10.4.8 and boot it! wee :) but I have no sound and I have to keep booting in safe mode. I was able to get NVinject installed, so I'm running at my native resolution (1600x1200) and I have internet because I found an old PCI ethernet card. Anyways, I can't figure out why I have no sound. I was able to boot with 2 cores, but being in safe mode really limits how nice OS X runs -_-

Any ideas?

Oh and I can't read any of my SATA drives :P It sees my IDE stuff (dvdrom and main hdd) but nothing from SATA.

EDIT: Oh and I was trying to use the integrated sound, but I also have an Audigy 2, but it is not being detected either.

Have Leopard up and running.... installed it using weekenders method. Everything working *almost* perfectly. 8800 gts 640mb, onboard sound and ethernet... crashes once in a while but managed to get stable after awhile.

Vmware fusion works great.

Just installed World of Warcraft and gonna test it later.

Only thing is... i cant get my usb headset to work with ventrilo, no big deal though.

its hidden...its in the main directory of your hard drive can you access your partition in windows with macdrive?

It's there and with the same name as the boot.plist file. I searched around and found this guide:

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/

Apprently, others were having the same issue of the 'can't find mach_kernel' with the postpatch and found this helpful. Hopefully, I will as well.

Later,

Gator

Do you have a link to weekender's method? I can't find it, but i have seen it mentioned a few times on this thread :D

Thanks!

post 244...you can answer most of your own questions by reading thru this thread

post 244...you can answer most of your own questions by reading thru this thread

Yeah, I read this entire thread from start to finish over the weekend, but i've read so many threads, i confuse where i read what, and where in the thread it is. It would be great if insanelymac would add the feature to search through posts. Thanks for the post #.

Hey everybody,

I've been reading this thread for a while now and decided to try an install of OSX Leopard from ToH RC2. I have verified the MD5, so I know that the ISO is complete and intact.

Here are my system specs:

eVGA 680i

Q6600 cpu

80G ide HD Formatted in Fat32 (Set to master on the same cable as the DVD)

IDE DVD drive (Set to slave)

8800 GTS 640mb

When I boot from the DVD (using -v -x flags), it gets through Loading the HFS files, and then eventually says something to the effect of:

ATA Checksum: Cookie incorrect....

<panic> cpu 0 something.....(I'm at work and didn't write it all down last night)

Darwin Bootloader v.....

Then the CPU turns off and it sits there forever, never going any further. I have disabled three cores in the bios, turned off all Sata drives in the Bios, and nearly pulled all of my hair out trying to figure this out :) . Do you guys have any ideas? As I read through the thread, I'm going to try using cpus=1 or 2 flags and see if that does anything different for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm very glad now, that I found you!

I'm trying to install mac os on my pc, and now i'm going desperate!

I have

Evga 680i SLI

Intel E6600

Ati Radeon x850xt 256mb

samsung 320GB sata2 for win vista

maxtor ata 120gb for mac

2gb gskill ddr2.

I tried out some patched dvds, as a 10.4.6 patched by I-don't-remember-who... but there is nothing to do: when the pc is starting from the dvd, I press F8 and add -v (I tried with -x and -s, cpus=1, 2, 0 too), but after a few lines, when "Starting Darwine x86" appears, it reboots. I'm now getting the 10.4.8 patched by JaS. It's that the right one? What should I do?

Thank you very, very much!

Note: for everyone looking for weekender's guide, try mine, it is mostly the same except that it's a fully clean install. Also, you can use OnyX to enable viewing hidden files and folders.

Also, let me repeat in big letters: cpus=0 won't work. You need to use cpus=1 when needed, otherwise cpus=2 for dual-core, and cpus=4 for quad-core.

@kstover: You need to boot with "-x -legacy cpus=1". Make sure that you have ALL cores enabled in BIOS. The problem is that there are no quad-core Macs, and Leopard gets confused when it finds a CPU that has 4 cores. (It can't figure out the actual number of cores, so it will essentially imply cpus=0, which is not valid.) You need to specify the number of cores to use manually. Also, formatting your HDD to Fat32 is possibly not a good choice. Just leave it unpartitioned, and use Disk Utility to partition it to HFS+. (Beware, double-check that you are using MBR!)

@caemca: Try ToH's 10.5 "Leopard" DVD. It should work if you follow my guide. (You should use cpus=1 before the final kernel is in place, and cpus=2 once it's done. Don't disable cores in BIOS, it can mess things up sometimes.)

@Netroller: Thanks a lot, using those boot keys worked, I'm installing now, although it's taking forever and a day :P.

Is it possible to make ToH bootable w/o installing Tiger? I'll try to find it in the threads, but if you know off the top of your head, I wouldn't mind just getting the answer. :) Thanks again guys, you all are awesome.

Note: for everyone looking for weekender's guide, try mine, it is mostly the same except that it's a fully clean install. Also, you can use OnyX to enable viewing hidden files and folders.

Also, let me repeat in big letters: cpus=0 won't work. You need to use cpus=1 when needed, otherwise cpus=2 for dual-core, and cpus=4 for quad-core.

@kstover: You need to boot with "-x -legacy cpus=1". Make sure that you have ALL cores enabled in BIOS. The problem is that there are no quad-core Macs, and Leopard gets confused when it finds a CPU that has 4 cores. (It can't figure out the actual number of cores, so it will essentially imply cpus=0, which is not valid.) You need to specify the number of cores to use manually. Also, formatting your HDD to Fat32 is possibly not a good choice. Just leave it unpartitioned, and use Disk Utility to partition it to HFS+. (Beware, double-check that you are using MBR!)

@caemca: Try ToH's 10.5 "Leopard" DVD. It should work if you follow my guide. (You should use cpus=1 before the final kernel is in place, and cpus=2 once it's done. Don't disable cores in BIOS, it can mess things up sometimes.)

Hey everybody,

I've been reading this thread for a while now and decided to try an install of OSX Leopard from ToH RC2. I have verified the MD5, so I know that the ISO is complete and intact.

Here are my system specs:

eVGA 680i

Q6600 cpu

80G ide HD Formatted in Fat32 (Set to master on the same cable as the DVD)

IDE DVD drive (Set to slave)

8800 GTS 640mb

When I boot from the DVD (using -v -x flags), it gets through Loading the HFS files, and then eventually says something to the effect of:

ATA Checksum: Cookie incorrect....

<panic> cpu 0 something.....(I'm at work and didn't write it all down last night)

Darwin Bootloader v.....

Then the CPU turns off and it sits there forever, never going any further. I have disabled three cores in the bios, turned off all Sata drives in the Bios, and nearly pulled all of my hair out trying to figure this out :P . Do you guys have any ideas? As I read through the thread, I'm going to try using cpus=1 or 2 flags and see if that does anything different for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

you forgot to disable a core as well.... either do it in bios or cpus=1 -x -v

i have a feeling im gonna be beat on for asking a noob question, but i've burned the full 6.6gb ISO release (it was a .dmg, ISO being the release group) to a DVD+RW DL using Transmac and can't for the life of me get my mobo to boot from it. it hits the "Boot From CD:" prompt and hangs scanning the dvd, then hits the system disk error insert system disk etc. etc.

something tells me I needed to apply some kind of patch or something to the DVD image for it to boot properly, and I'm going numb from reading all these threads lmao...so am I retarded and forgot to patch something or what? i've read all the how-to's i can stomach and right now im downloading the Kalyway 10.4.10 DVD hoping I can install that, and use the leopard DVD to update to 10.5.

last time I messed with OSX86 was back on 10.4.3 (wow was that install ever easy, insert dvd, the end) so I'm a little rusty. again, sorry if i asked a stupid question that's been answered 500 times ;)

Specs:

Core 2 duo e6550 @3.2ghz

eVGA nforce 650i ultra mobo

2gb DDR800

X1950gt 512mb vid card

Thank you .NetRoller 3D! Reading the thread, I saw that on 680i the only way to get leopard is passing through the jas' 10.4.8. In particular, what should I do? I downloaded the golden patch you say in your guide, but I don't know what else to download because I don't have a Geforce card and audio device is named "azalia"! Can you all help me doin' this? THANK YOU!

@caemca: you don't need 10.4.8 for 680i, my tutorial has a workaround for that. (Make sure you have unplugged/disabled your SATA drives first!) "Azalia" is just the codename for Intel's HDA specification. You need to use AppleHDAPatcher to make it work. Also, what videocard do you have? Is it an ATI? I think you need Natit Universal for that.

@minion: you need the ToH DVD, it's a 4.38 GB ISO. What you have downloaded is the installer for Mac Pros, not the one for Hackintoshes.

@caemca: you don't need 10.4.8 for 680i, my tutorial has a workaround for that. (Make sure you have unplugged/disabled your SATA drives first!) "Azalia" is just the codename for Intel's HDA specification. You need to use AppleHDAPatcher to make it work. Also, what videocard do you have? Is it an ATI? I think you need Natit Universal for that.

@minion: you need the ToH DVD, it's a 4.38 GB ISO. What you have downloaded is the installer for Mac Pros, not the one for Hackintoshes.

Yes, I've got an Ati X850xt. I already have this 10.5 ToH dvd. I have got golden patch too. Now what should I do? I need to download something other? I'll need that Marvin's AMD Utility? And what about Official 10.5.1 Universal update package?

Thank you for the help you're givin' me!

EDIT: I downloaded Marvin's AMD Utility, Mac OS Update [it is in .dmg format], the golden kernel, AppleHDAPatcher 1.7, Pacifist 2.5.1, the startupfiletool for the bootfix, the network kext, and the codec dump for audio. Do I need something else?

EDIT2: I tried to install leo on my ata drive. I disconnected the sata drive, disabled in BIOS too, disabled lan 0 and 1. After that I booted with the DVD, and wrote "-x -legacy cpus=1". It started with loads of big lines. After a while, lines became smaller, and started a serie of errors. It told initially that it failed to count files in /system/library/startupitems, and after that it made another few errors very slowly (as mDNSResponder: WARNING: sandbox_init error Cannor apply named profile mDNSResponder: No such file or directory) , and got totally blocked when it arrived at NVDANV30HAL.kext or something very similar to this. It said "display: starting fails". What's the error? I'm very desperate right now...

Back to square one. I can't seem to install the postpatch without getting the "can't find mach_kernel" error at boot. I've tried to install it a couple of times and even tried the boot fix as well, but still the same result.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please let me know.

Until then, I'll have to get by with one core.

Thanks,

Gator

@Alpha_Gator: did you use the Golden.zip postpatch? You might need to copy mach_kernel to the root drive manually (overwrite or rename the old one, showing hidden files!), then chown+chmod it to root:wheel 755. Also, you need to edit the patcher script to look for the files in the right folder.

@caemca: The first message is just a cosmetic issue, it's a bug in the installer (obviously counting the files in a nonexistent folder should result in 0, and not a fatal error). The second one is simply that it couldn't start the network. That's because we are booting from the DVD, and not from a HDD with an installed OS X with network support, but the kernel doesn't realise that. The third one is a bit strange. (Isn't it "Display: family specific matching fails"? If yes, then try booting without the -x flag. That's a workaround for the broken nVidia kext on the DVD, so I believe it's not needed when you are on an ATI. Do you also get a kernel panic, or just "family specific matching fails"?)

Thanks to everyone for your help, tonight I'm going to try following Weekender's Guide (post #244).

In his guide, weekender uses the 10.4.8 patch to create two installs of Tiger, then overwrites one with Leopard. As far as I can tell he does this for two reasons: 1) to get the Leo partition to boot and 2) to install the post-patch. (Golden.zip) If I decide to only use JaS 10.4.8 to format the partition (following Solition's advice) can I apply the post-patch and update from the install of Leopard, forgoing the two installs of Tiger? If so, what would be the order?

Thanks again,

Kevin

@Alpha_Gator: did you use the Golden.zip postpatch? You might need to copy mach_kernel to the root drive manually (overwrite or rename the old one, showing hidden files!), then chown+chmod it to root:wheel 755. Also, you need to edit the patcher script to look for the files in the right folder.

I copied the mach_kernel to the root directory and it seemed to solve the "Can't find mach_kernel" problem. However, once Darwin starts to load, the computer reboots. This continues ad nauseum.

Could you give me (detailed) instructions on the chown+chmod to root:wheel 755? I'm pretty Mac challenged.

I just tried the root:wheel 755, but I still get caught in a reboot circle. Any advice of how to break the cycle and boot into Leopard would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gator

@caemca: The first message is just a cosmetic issue, it's a bug in the installer (obviously counting the files in a nonexistent folder should result in 0, and not a fatal error). The second one is simply that it couldn't start the network. That's because we are booting from the DVD, and not from a HDD with an installed OS X with network support, but the kernel doesn't realise that. The third one is a bit strange. (Isn't it "Display: family specific matching fails"? If yes, then try booting without the -x flag. That's a workaround for the broken nVidia kext on the DVD, so I believe it's not needed when you are on an ATI. Do you also get a kernel panic, or just "family specific matching fails"?)

I get only the video problem, without any kernel panic. Just freezes. I tried without -x also, but it doesn't work.

I tried a few minutes ago the Uphuck 10.4.9. It installs without any problems... but it doesn't start! Booting, when it comes to "starting darwinex86" it reboots. I tried with and without the ati driver, but anything changes! I'm saaaaad... :)

EDIT: I tried again with Leopard ToH. Now, after the "family specific matching fails" it gave me a panic "cpu=0"!!! Oh, any results seem to be very far...