New ATI Drivers

438 posts in this topic

Thanks, I'd already had a look there. There is no X1600XT bios, only pro bios'. Would anyone care to make a copy of their bios and send it to me? It's really easy! Thanks

Okay, got it...you meant x1600 not x600

so where i can download this new drivers and does it support аn ati radeon 9200?

Before asking, you should check Wiki with HCList for 10.4.3

It is supported, but no QE or CI....

Wow this is great news about the flashing thing.

But one quick question: can the kexts be modified so they don't depend on that specific bios within the card? This is nice and all, but when it comes time to boot into windows or something, won't there be problems?

What about when you quit an OpenGL App ? Say UT2004 ? Is the cursor all messed up ?

Yeah, you're right. When I quit UT2004 the cursos is FUBAR!

And does anyone have any ideas's how i can get out of 60Hz?

Thanks

I,ve been reeding the forum for hours, i checked the wiki...and now i'm totally lost!

Ok i have 10.4.4, working very good in 1280x1024 (modified Boot.plist) everything else out of the box (max patch)

And i have a X800 AGP...

Question now and please help me:

Can i have OPENGL, QI (whatever full graphic support) at 1680x1050 with a modified kext?

If yes how can i do it? i'm lost with all the posts (old and new)

Which one do i take? what lines to change? PLEASE HELP!!!!

I`m running OSX since 5 days now on a Thinkpad T42p. Only thing that not work at all is the ATI Fire GL

in the Lap.

- changed boot.kext to run run in 1600x1200 : Works perfectly

- adding device ID to ATI9700.kext: Device ID already there, but still not recogniced

- copy applei386pci.kext and add AGP PCI Bridge Device ID: OSX crashes 10 seconds after grey apple screen appears

Got somebody a solution for this? Thanks

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english

I`m running OSX since 5 days now on a Thinkpad T42p. Only thing that not work at all is the ATI Fire GL

in the Lap.

- changed boot.kext to run run in 1600x1200 : Works perfectly

- adding device ID to ATI9700.kext: Device ID already there, but still not recogniced

- copy applei386pci.kext and add AGP PCI Bridge Device ID: OSX crashes 10 seconds after grey apple screen appears

Got somebody a solution for this? Thanks

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english

I have 1600x1200 on my x1600 with PCI-E on 10.4.5 :) Now to fix this tearing thing.....

I have 1600x1200 on my x1600 with PCI-E on 10.4.5 :P Now to fix this tearing thing.....
Did you have to flash yours too, or did 10.4.5 broaden its hardware support?

10.4.6 is very close. From what I hear, there is a huge overhaul of graphics driver improvements. The PowerPC Mac Mini is now haulted in large-scale shipments, hinting it's going to be replaced with an updated Intel Mini soon. I hope the Intel Mac Mini doesn't use the same card as the iMac and Macbook Pro. If it doesn't, it'd force Apple to do away with whatever part of the kext looks for specific firmware. Unless they just broaden the type of firmware it looks for. Hmmm...

Did you have to flash yours too, or did 10.4.5 broaden its hardware support?

10.4.6 is very close. From what I hear, there is a huge overhaul of graphics driver improvements. The PowerPC Mac Mini is now haulted in large-scale shipments, hinting it's going to be replaced with an updated Intel Mini soon. I hope the Intel Mac Mini doesn't use the same card as the iMac and Macbook Pro. If it doesn't, it'd force Apple to do away with whatever part of the kext looks for specific firmware. Unless they just broaden the type of firmware it looks for. Hmmm...

Did anyone in this thread actually say they had reflashed their card?

The check for compatible cards is a simple 8-bit device ID in a plist file. Whether or not the card will accept the instructions is another matter, but if you have similar cards, that should work.

My case: Running 10.4.5 with 10.4.5 frameworks and kexts. modified to include my deviceid. did kextcache. runs fine. still no resolution change. still stuck at 60Hz.

yes so in conclusion there is no way even with X1600 to avoid the mouse tearing so this is not linked to the video card type this is just a security into the ATI drivers (kext or frameworks) i dont know and some1 can fix it

we have to wait and see...10.4.6 wont resolve that as it is only on X86 and i dont think Apple will resolve this problem for us lol

For those having problems getting out of 60 hz and are also running at a resolution of 1280x1024 or lower. With an ATi card....

here is what i did to get my x300 running higher.

Tools:

atiflash

atitool

radedit

Use ati tool to make a copy of your video card bios. it is under settings i think in the program. the item you need is "Dump BIOS"

save the bios file somewhere. now, open the bios file with radedit. look for the list of resolutions. Unfortunately.. only 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are available to adjust. change the rates to what your monitor can handle (85hz looks to be the max of the program... better than 60). Save the file.

NOTE! before you go flashing your card's bios... make damn sure your monitor can do the hz you pick... otherwise... you will have to fix it.

Now, load that BIOS image on a bootable floppy disk (or whatever method you use to flash stuff, i used a USB drive as i do not have a floppy drive) use atiflash to flash your card bios. just type atiflash in the DOS shell for a list of commands. the command should look something like this:

A:\atiflash -p 0 bios.rom

This worked great for me at 1024x768 and 1280x1024. It may not work for you. and it may screw up your video card! these are the chances you take when flashing ROM.

all i know is... my eyes no longer hurt after 30 seconds of looking at the screen!

EDIT: also, if you ever decide to switch monitors... you may need to reflash your card with its original rom.. alot of LCDs dont do 85hz.

Like OSX86Dave I copied everything over and fixed the permissions as well as ownership. However, I am getting fractals. I think I completely broke something, since I cannot even get to single user mode because my screens go green and the text is unreadable. I have a mac too, with which I can ssh and remote desktop to the other computer. On remote desktop the screen looks fine. ssh works fine.

Also, I wanted to do a reinstall, but even the install disc's gui is unreadable.

I was thinking to put one of the disks from my x86 into an external enclosure and reformat it using my powerbook.

I'm going to play around with things but I don't have too much hope to recover my install. Oh yes, using 10.4.3 with JaS/maxxuss patches.

Can you flash a Gigabyte ATI X600 with an ATI BIOS? (Sorry - not really well versed on graphic cards). Or an ATI x800 xl with a x800 xt or pro bios? thanx!

Gigabyte X600XT can be flashed with original ATI x600xt since, ATI is manufacturing most of its partners cards...

X800XL cannot be flashed to X800XT or Pro because of its specifications, also if I know well from XL missing the power plug, which can be found on both XT and pro cards....BTW, pcie X800 are not mac compatibile...so dont bother flashing....

Just a fast update, any ATI xXXX card compatible with 9700 kext can now work with some little hex edit. The 9700 kxt definitely had some hardware checking for only certain device IDs. Replacing one of those IDs with your own causes now the driver to load and report bus as PCIe.

See this thread for details:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...809entry67809

Hi,

the easiest way to load the atindrv is just to modify this line in the .plist:

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>ATY,Wormy</string>

to

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>display</string>

loads fine and boots up. Problem here is that my monitors will shut down. But I have

an x300 so maybe if you want to try it on a card that was made for that...

ATINDRV loads only manually for me and never on boot. It doesn't seem to make any change when loaded.

The "display" entry is the standard entry for open firmware graphics devices. Open firmware is used here,

because it is IONameMatch, not IOPCIMatch (or IOAGPMatch what does exactly the same).

So the funny thing is, when I change the value to the common standard value named "display", it detects it,

and loads it. How do I know that it loads it? because my screens shut down. When I remove the kext again,

I can boot up normally.

So the kext is definately autoloaded and it is changing a lot. :P But ONLY if you set the "display" in it, no other

value will work.

Witch .plist is this?

changing what you have just told xtraa doesn't change a thing : ATINDRV still doesn't load here, weird (ATI Radeon 9800 PRO there).

Are you using ATIradeon9700.kext or ATIX1000.kext anyway ?

changing what you have just told xtraa doesn't change a thing : ATINDRV still doesn't load here, weird (ATI Radeon 9800 PRO there).

Are you using ATIradeon9700.kext or ATIX1000.kext anyway ?

FYI, I opened ATINDRV in /contents with an hexa editor and there are definitly lots of ATY,* references, might be checks, I don't know.

Now I am pretty sure the driver can be "simply" hacked while it's useless to redo another one.

I tried to put info.plist from IONDRV.kext (or whatever) since it loads on my system, into ATINDRV.kext (of course, I changed the name of the executable in info.plist to look for that ATINDRV file) and my system hung for no reasons (from what I saw on -v) after reboot, so it was definitly loading that ATINDRV file.

Now, I don't have time to look what has made this to work or not, I am pretty sure the "display" string is OK since in that IONDRV plist file, I have in IONameMatch that "display" string... but not enough to make it fully load. Don't get me wrong, it's one step forward.

About your black screen Xtraa, does your OS load afterwards (ie your HDD is working...) or does it crash ? If it doesn't, your monitor might simply not support the refresh rate and I advice you to force it to 60Hz or something at the Darwin boot loader if you didn't already.

Or if you have a LCD Screen somewhere, you should try it on this since LCD monitors don't really care about the refresh rate.

Same here. Changing the value to "display" in the plist didn't do anything.

I'm very interested in that discovery you made, cyclonefr. I'm also starting to believe that a new frame buffer doesn't need to be written from the ground up. There has to be a way to hack ATINDRV to work. I think it's pretty definate now that all it does is a check somewhere, but other than that, there's no reason why it shouldn't work with the Radeon9700 kext I have loaded.