New ATI Drivers

438 posts in this topic

hi!

Well, I had no problems with the installation of the new drivers. It workes using the instructions in post Nº2 of this thread. And it works fine, the glitches have disappeared (I have seen none since I installed the new drivers).

But the thing is that Dashboard and Expose run now a bit slower. Before I saw a smooth animation on both cases, and with the new drivers it's quite slower.

If someone knows how to solve this... Or make it work better....

Thanks.

I followed munky's instructions on Framework files and Danman's on the Extensions and got it working with X1800-XL. Haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet, but as with munky, my card appears as 16MB. Visually, when dropping widgets in Dashboard onto the desktop, the "splash down" animation plays, but looks pretty awful. Reminds me of NTSC Stair-Stepping.

Hi guys,

well, i went out and bought an GECUBE X1600 Pro 256MB for AU$200

I'm running 10.4.4 on an ASrock 775dual915gl board, i've beeing using the 900GMA graphics up till now...

but i'm regretting my purchase. =(

If I boot with the stock kexts I load with the vga compatible controller business. System profiler says 'Kext not loaded' and there is no QE or CI.

I tried modifying the kext ATIRadeonX1000.kext and adding my device id: 0x71c21002 to the Info.plist in the section with the other device id's... when i reboot i get a kernel panic. i deleted the kext cache, chmod and chowned and did a permissions repair...

any idea's?

I would be greatly for anyone who can help me! thankyou

Cant really help anyone as i not very good with these things but so everyone know

i bought sapphire x1600xt pcie(256) and it just works with 10.4.4 install no editing of plists or anything

Do you mean it supports QE, CI and resolution changing?

And no mouse artefacts?

Sorry i should have been more specific its runs just fine with quartz and core but im afraid the artifacts and no res change are the same i merely posted bcos i read someone had bought gecube x1600 pro and they say it didnt work were as mines is sapphire x1600xt and it does , sorry for confusion

mine is a gecube X1800XL, but havent installed 10.4.4 yet.

working in 10.4.3 with the 10.4.4 kexts and frameworks - QE, CI, OpenGL all silky smooth, no res change and still some artifacts.

Sorry i should have been more specific its runs just fine with quartz and core but im afraid the artifacts and no res change are the same i merely posted bcos i read someone had bought gecube x1600 pro and they say it didnt work were as mines is sapphire x1600xt and it does , sorry for confusion

Oh well, I see...

Same for me under 10.4.4 (MSI X1600XT 256 DDR3, Intel D915GUX mobo), I just initially thought smth wrong with my soft/hardware. :(

Looks like we all shall use a second input separately for GMA900 under 10.4.4

*sigh* maybe this x1600 pro will be going on ebay...

and screw me silly, I replaced the kext with the backup and now it kernel panics are every startup, still. dang.

Are ideas?

apart from just sticking to safe mode? what a pain.. =P

melchior: to run on 10.4.3, we had to copy the kexts and the OpenGL framework (and another whose name escapes me right now) from 10.4.4, *excluding the actual OpenGL executable*.

how about trying it the other way round? ie use the executable from 10.4.3 on your 10.4.4 install? (by the executable i mean the OpenGL in /Contents/MacOS/ within the OpenGL framework package

melchior: to run on 10.4.3, we had to copy the kexts and the OpenGL framework (and another whose name escapes me right now) from 10.4.4, *excluding the actual OpenGL executable*.

how about trying it the other way round? ie use the executable from 10.4.3 on your 10.4.4 install? (by the executable i mean the OpenGL in /Contents/MacOS/ within the OpenGL framework package

mmmm... So, I couldn't find a /Contens/MacOS/ within the /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework, but I moved the Executeable I did find in there to the 10.4.4 system... no luck =P

Could you please give me step by step instructions of what you did? It would help a lot I think to know I am doing the right thing...

I'm *this* ready to buy an X1600XT card. =P

Or and for the record, I already bought a X600XT card which is ALSO not supported at all. *argh!*

mmmm... So, I couldn't find a /Contens/MacOS/ within the /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework, but I moved the Executeable I did find in there to the 10.4.4 system... no luck =P

Could you please give me step by step instructions of what you did? It would help a lot I think to know I am doing the right thing...

I'm *this* ready to buy an X1600XT card. =P

Or and for the record, I already bought a X600XT card which is ALSO not supported at all. *argh!*

Flash-it with ATI X600XT bios from here http://www.techpowerup.com/bios/ , thats for sure supported

Success! It was probably my fault some how not doing it right I was rebuilding the kextcache with Maxxuss' commands which isolated i386 code. I did it without that and it seems to have fixed it!, but it could have been other factors too.

what I did was follow the instructions to make my 10.4.3 partition boot, and to my surprise it did and recognized the card. I was so happy to see artifacts you wouldn't believe!!!!

Then, I edited the info.plist on my 10.4.4 and removed the AGL and OpenGL frameworks from 10.4.4 and moved the two from 10.4.3 (which of course included the AGL from 10.4.4, but what the hell i thought!) ran my chmod's and chown and kextcache -k

Success! yay!

And no tearing in 10.4.4 *grin* QE, CI,

1600x1200x32x85

Thanks for your help guys!

EDIT: Hmmm, it's not at 85hz.... an no matter what resolution I boot with, it will not take anything except 60Hz.

I've tried everything from 1024x768 to 2048x1536 and they all do nicely at 60Hz, but if I specifya refresh rate, it boots some console info and then flashes a messed up screen like it's out of sync or something...

Hmmmm, any ideas?

I'm using the syntax, for example "Graphics Mode"=1024x768x32@75"

i've an ati radeon 9200 too, and i'm not able to change resolution...1024x768 now..something to sugggest??

i've an ati radeon 9200 too, and i'm not able to change resolution...1024x768 now..something to sugggest??

did you try to edit your boot.plist? i got any resolutions without a drivers