New ATI Drivers

438 posts in this topic

I forced ATINDRV to load at boot a while back by changing the info.plist file on the ATI X1600XT it doesn't improve anything.

What do you mean by "forcing" ? If you mean putting that "display" string, we definitly now know it's NOT enough to make it load.

Are you sure it was loaded anyway ? System Profiler is your friend for this and for now I didn't manage to have it loaded.

Don't worry, if it's loaded it will do a thing you can be pretty sure : I have just looked at it in a hexa editor, this file is the ONE that makes you able to change resolutions on the fly and have the shadow under the mouse.

No, it wasn't loaded on your system, you can be sure and verify this easily.

Now, I am wondering if Maxxuss could fix it in like 5min, you never know ;) But he doesn't seem to have any ATI card to work on this though, and he seems to work under VMWare anyway (less troubles to reboot), which is less likely that file will be loaded on it.

Anyway, I am tired of rebooting a lot for now and not having this thing fixed. Too bad I don't have the time to look further, this is what I could find for now on this, hopefully someone will take this into consideration and fix this bug, which isn't that minor IMHO.

I've posted this so many times but here I go again.

ATINDRV.kext will not work on a white box PC. The driver depends on the Radeon.efi module which is not loaded since nobody has EFI working. Yes you can forcefully load and start the ATINDRV.kext, I have done it but all it did was result in a black screen with two sets of vertical white lines instead of a familiar OS X GUI.

If you really want to try this yourself, edit the driver's Info.plist, remove the reference to ATY,Wormy. Add IOPCIMatch with the 0x41501002&0x0000ffff (PCI ID value doesnt matter the mask will match any ATI card), and replace IONDRVDevice with IOPCIDevice (or IOAGPDevice if you have AGP working)...

If I may say, in all this time that everyone wasted trying to get PC graphics cards working since 10.4.1, the vast number of man-hours spent could've been invested in all of you learning IOKit and writing a custom driver for both ATI and NVidia by now.

Just my 2c

I'm using 10.4.5 and when I start kextstat is see that ATIRadeon9700 (4.2.4) is loaded. I am using a Acer Travelmate 8000 laptop (Mobility 9700) so I guess this should be ok?

But when I drag a window I get lots of artifact in the entire window. Is there any way to avoid this? This is at 1400x1050x32 (native resolution of display, so I want to use this)

When I use a different resolution to 1024x768 for example the problem is gone but this isn't the native resolution so I don't want to use this.

I'm using 10.4.5 and when I start kextstat is see that ATIRadeon9700 (4.2.4) is loaded. I am using a Acer Travelmate 8000 laptop (Mobility 9700) so I guess this should be ok?

But when I drag a window I get lots of artifact in the entire window. Is there any way to avoid this? This is at 1400x1050x32 (native resolution of display, so I want to use this)

When I use a different resolution to 1024x768 for example the problem is gone but this isn't the native resolution so I don't want to use this.

Try 1400x1050x24

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same problems on my Asus m6ne (also mobility radeon 9700). How much VRAM do you have on your gfx card? I noticed that OSX detects my card as a 128 MB card in system profiler - even though it only has 64 MB! Maybe this is whats causing the display artifacts?!?

my system nx6130

CPU Intel Pentium M 750 (1.86GHz)

RAM 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz

L2 CACHE 2MB

RESOLUTION SXGA+ (1,400 x 1,050)

VGA ATI Mobility Radeon X300 VRAM (id=5460)

koverg-patch9700-v0[1].2.tgz / koverg-patch9700-v0[2].tgz mac os x 10.4.5 / 10.4.4 / 10.4.3

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5460

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 800x600

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

:gun: Bus:PCIe help me!!!!

Hi to all

I have Asus Extreme AX550 128 M

(on MB Asus, P4 3Ghz, 1G RAM, Tiger 10.4.5, Samsung 913v LCD )

This is output from System Profiler:

------------------------------------------------

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5b63

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

------------------------------------------------

I try to load Ati.kext and this the output:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext appears to be valid

kextload: notice: extension /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext has debug properties set

14ATIAccelerator is not compatible with its superclass, 13IOAccelerator superclass changed?

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/Ati.kext

This card work with this driver?Or Quartz can br supported

I need some help. Movies (avi/divx) doesn't look good.. maybe because there no hardware accelaeration.

I want to change resoluiton from 60 to 75 Hz.

I read that card Radeon Xxx0 could work...

Thanks