thanks

[Attachment removed - possible dmca infringement]

can some one download ( attached ) ATINDRV.kext

and try to load - this one is modifited

but remove old one first

and when copy chown -R root:wheel /System..../ATINDRV.kext

then load it and let me know about results

thanks

What I meant with EFI is that the ATI firmware is stored in the Flash ROM on the motherboard among other EFI modules and it gets loaded during power-on. Just like the ROM BIOS on ATI Mac cards, it gets initialized in some memory space, so you wouldnt see EFI calls but you would see calls to ROM addresses equivalent to old NDRV ATI Mac cards (thus the NDRVDevice as stated before).

Just a guess, but I've spent a past weekend on this and I believe the above to be the case...if you have the time to check it out more that'd be great ;)

can some one download ( attached ) ATINDRV.kext

and let me know about results

Loads successfully with the current 10.4.3 drivers,

79 0 0x20673000 0x2f000 0x2e000 com.apple.kext.ATINDRV (4.2.0) <66 54>

As you can see, it links as it should to the IONDRVSupport and IOGraphicsFamily. :(

Still CI and QE :) but also still PCI and VGA Compatible Controller. ;)

Ah, it does not load automatically, means it seems to be not asked for. Do I have to take the 10.4.4, now?

also, just in case why you wondering what I am doing here,

I have both, ATI and geForce.

btw. wtf is that, does s.o. know?

67 0 0x2624c000 0x16000 0x15000 at.obdev.KUC (1.2.54)

Edited by Hagar

interesting...

i'd love to see what happens with the 10.4.4 drivers and an X1600 card... ;)

EDIT: xtraa, what card do you have? i wouldnt expect the bus to change, as you havent modified the IOPCIFamily.kext, but np_ says that shouldnt matter. im unsure whether 'VGA Compatible Controller' is a bad thing or a good thing.

do you still have mouse artefacts?

EDIT2: at.obdev == obdev.at == http://www.obdev.at/ - makers of Little Snitch, Sharity, Launchbar and WebYep. a quick google suggests its their LaunchBar application. do u have it installed, by any chance?

Edited by munky

interesting...

i'd love to see what happens with the 10.4.4 drivers and an X1600 card... ;)

i#d love to, too :D I have just an x300 here (I bought it as a temporary replacement for my gf6600 to have QE and CI etc.)

EDIT: xtraa, what card do you have? i wouldnt expect the bus to change, as you havent modified the IOPCIFamily.kext, but np_ says that shouldnt matter. im unsure whether 'VGA Compatible Controller' is a bad thing or a good thing.

x300 and PCIe. I think I will give it a go, just for the fun of it :)

do you still have mouse artefacts?

Yes unfortunately.

EDIT2: at.obdev == obdev.at == http://www.obdev.at/ - makers of Little Snitch, Sharity, Launchbar and WebYep. a quick google suggests its their LaunchBar application. do u have it installed, by any chance?

Thank you, yes thats it :) I think I can drop it then, cause i already removed it. (Good program but I don't

really used it :))

As xtraa already said it loads successfully with 10.4.3 kexts (only ATIRadeon9700.kext and ATIRadeon9700GL.bundle from 10.4.3... rest --> from 10.4.4) running but not automatically at startup. Changing drivers full to 10.4.4 ends up in same "black screen" as before. Changing the OpenGL and AGL frameworks and the kexts to 10.4.4 just drops me back in console login again. ATINDRV.kext doesn't load automatically in any variation but it doesn't change a thing when it's loaded anyway.

What I meant with EFI is that the ATI firmware is stored in the Flash ROM on the motherboard...

So why would ATI bother with firmware on the EFI-cards at all? Backwards compatibility with BIOS?

Would this then be the extent of the difference between EFI cards and BIOS cards, where the firmware is stored from and loaded from? I mean, otherwise the firmware would be the same so there would be no need for BIOS-drivers and EFI-drivers on PC's, one driver would work with both BIOS and EFI machines?

Edited by bofors

Hi,

tested replacing just the ATINDRV.kext posted earlier and it does load but checking SysProfiler/Extensions it states:

ATINDRV:

Version: 1.4.20

Last Modified: 26/01/06 02:37

Get Info String: ATINDRV 1.4.20.28 (1.0f159)

kext Version: 4.2.0

Load Address: 0x3ccb6000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Incomplete

Dependency Errors:

com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport: No valid version of this dependency can be found

com.apple.kernel.iokit: No valid version of this dependency can be found

Integrity: Kext has no receipt

Dunno if it helps...but maybe replacing just teh ATINDRV.kext from 10.4.4 doesn't help that much without those dependencies....

My config: 8F1111g with NoNX/NOCPUID on P4 3.2Ghz Prescott SSE3/ 3Gb RAM/ SATA intel AHCI/ P4C800E-Deluxe...everything working except for GFX card Acceleration and Logitech quickcam (HP PSC2110 fully working scanner/printer, DV Firewire JVC cam, Belkin USB card reader, PC USB mouse/keyboard)

OOps ...forgot my Gfx card: Powercolor ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256Mb DVI/VGA/TVOUT

Edited by teknologist

As xtraa already said it loads successfully with 10.4.3 kexts (only ATIRadeon9700.kext and ATIRadeon9700GL.bundle from 10.4.3... rest --> from 10.4.4) running but not automatically at startup. Changing drivers full to 10.4.4 ends up in same "black screen" as before. Changing the OpenGL and AGL frameworks and the kexts to 10.4.4 just drops me back in console login again. ATINDRV.kext doesn't load automatically in any variation but it doesn't change a thing when it's loaded anyway.

Yes, I had nearly the same issues. :blink:

The problem with the frameworks is:

When you do a kextstat after being dropped to the console, I noticed that NO ATI kext has been loaded. Not

even a single one and no matter if you use the 10.4.3 or 10.4.4. versions. I think that is also the reason why

it drops us to the console. OSX seems to be unable to load the GUI. I had the same issue once, when I

messed up my system with Themechanger.app in 10.4.1. :D

Now, when I load all new files together with the old frameworks it gets me this:

bild23bo.th.jpg

EDIT// lol, last line i wrote was complete nonsense (...load the new driver with the new frameworks, of course we have to :D)

What I meant was, that it depends on the Framework. If we maybe coud get them to load the old drivers, it would be an interesting try. But as far as I can see it, the frameworks does not load anything atm.

EDIT2// What was interesting is, that when I started frontrow, I also could see some unscrambled fragments of my desktop.

but what is even more interesting is: WHY can we see the mouse pointer correctly? Even the spinning ball appears.

So what kind of graphic is responsible for the pointer!?

Edited by xtraa

but what is even more interesting is: WHY can we see the mouse pointer correctly? Even the spinning ball appears.

I think the cursor isnt hardware accelarated (by the same framework as the windows).

The desktop background isn't accelarated, and that appears as norm, bar the background picture which seems to be missing. Where as the windows that are OGL/AGL accelerated are fubar, meh opengl errors there.

Still looks sexy though :)

Okay, so I grabbed np_'s new ATINDRV.kext and put it in place along with the ATIRadeonX1000GL.kext and with the old 10.4.3 framework files. It booted up with the same blackedout GUI. I sshed in and manually loaded ATINDRV.kext. It loaded successfully with no error messages. I restarted windowserver and loginwindow, but no changes.

Graphics/Displays:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c0

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

?????????:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Okay sorry... I went back and read np_'s posts more carefully. When I remove all the ATI*.kext's, I then get no kext loaded for the display. If I manually load np_'s modified ATINDRV.kext, it loads fine but profile still says no kext loaded for the display. I tried mucking with Info.plist to get it recognize the deviceid, but it didn't seem to help any. Anyway I've attached ioreg -l output. Oh, and the way to get ioreg not to truncate lines is "-w 0". Those man pages are darn handy, eh?

Yes, I had nearly the same issues. :)

Now that is interesting as the mousepointer should be just part of the framework: in the past when I was running BeOS on my laptop I had to make some changes to the pixelclock value of the ATI driver

( see http://www.bebits.com/talkback/2938?page=4 )

as the desktop was showing a corrupted picture INCLUDING the mousepointer: once I got the pixelclock value right both desktop and mousepointer were shown fine...

Tek_No

this is interesting, just to backtrack a bit. My machine dropped into console when I used the new GL and AGL. I replaced the old AGL, and then my system booted fine, but none of the screensavers worked (when I clicked on Flurry and the Forest ones, I had the message "please contact the author for a newer version") So I replaced the old GL and now they work again.

just thinking aloud. back to it :P

Edited by xiberia

Good morning, excuse for my english.

I am italian and i have the Radeon 1600 pro 512 PCie (1002:71C2), but the quarz and the core not recognize.

Why?

I addende the 71C2 to plist.

Help.

Tipo: Controller compatibile con VGA

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totale): 256 MB

Fornitore: ATI (0x1002)

ID dispositivo: 0x71c2

ID revisione: 0x0000

Monitor:

Monitor:

Risoluzione: 1280 x 1024

Profondità: Colore 32-bit

Core Image: Non Supportato

Monitor principale: Sì

Mirror: Spento

Online: Sì

Quartz Extreme: Non Supportato

So why would ATI bother with firmware on the EFI-cards at all? Backwards compatibility with BIOS?

Would this then be the extent of the difference between EFI cards and BIOS cards, where the firmware is stored from and loaded from? I mean, otherwise the firmware would be the same so there would be no need for BIOS-drivers and EFI-drivers on PC's, one driver would work with both BIOS and EFI machines?

That's what I am thinking, Apple has cut corners on writing a true new driver for ATI so they've simply used what they have used in the past - NDRV and for it to work it needs the ATI Mac ROM which iMac doesnt have but it does have EFI and the ATI firmware that some people say ATI wrote specifically for it (probably just ported all those functions from the PPC ROM to Intel).

mouse-tearing, jitters, artifacts, dvds playing in a lovely shade of blue :)

sort-of off-topic, but relevant to something i'm messing with, you know when you have no card installed, and OSX comes up in "vga compatible mode", using generic drivers? which kext actually runs that? does anyone know? I'd like to try the 10.4.4 generic kext, see how it works with the new GL frameworks.

The 10.4.3 ati drivers don't work for the X1xxxx series. If you add the device id to ATIRadeon.kext it still said no kext loaded for the display if I remember correctly... Either that or it still had no QE/CI and no resolution change ability.