77 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best free email?

• Windows Live Mail (Hotmail)
    • Gmail
    • Yahoo!
    • Lycos
    • AOL

29 posts in this topic

What is your favorite free email service? Share your opinions!

Feature Sets:

Windows Live Mail (Hotmail)

• 2GB Storage Space
  • Spam Filter
  • POP3 email access in Outlook and Outlook Express only

GMail

• 4.3GB+ Storage Space
  • Tagging
  • Integrated IM
  • Forwarding
  • POP3 and IMAP
  • Great Speed and Search Function
  • Great Spam Filter

Yahoo Mail

• Unlimited Storage Space (!)
  • Integrated IM
  • Integrated RSS
  • Great Spam Filter
  • Virus Checking

* POP3 email access and forwarding are paid features

Lycos Mail

• 3GB Storage
  • Unlimited file attachment size
  • Advanced spam filter
  • Virus checking
  • Domain and Address Blocking

AOL Mail

• Integrates with other AOL products
  • Nothing much else is known

So, your opinion! I personally use GMail which is fantastic and is the best in my opinion. Yahoo! comes a close second (its what I used to use) and if it had free POP3 access its what I'd go for.

I voted for gmail, but I disagree about their spam filter. It doesn't block anything except Chinese emails (and on one occasion, a Japanese one). The one thing I like about their spam filter is that you can see the stuff they blocked. Some email services won't show you everything.

My vote for GMAIL:

First off now with IMAP I get gmail syncing correctly to mac mail, the gmail web interface and my ipod touch now and its brilliant - if I read an email on one, its automatically marked as read on the others - delete and email - its gone.

EXCELLENT and its spam control is fantastic.

Also since I'm the admin at work - the very first thing I did was toss out their old exchange server when I took over and installed google apps for small business. We get all these great benefits of gmail - with their own domain name.

Plus they get all the google apps, docs and spreadsheets, calendars etc.

The company loves it, because they can easily get their email anywhere, administration of the accounts is a total breeze and I don't have to worry about spam control or anti-virus. Only 1/2 hour of service interruption in the last 18 months.

gmail for the spam filtering and IMAP access

I even switched my domains to use Google Apps for email/docs/calendars etc. Now if I could just find a good bidirectional sync tool for ical and gcal that's not Spanning Sync and works in 10.5 :)

I knew lots of people would vote GMail but not this many! I read a review of email services by PCWorld Magazine and it said that GMail is only barely better than Yahoo! But Yahoo! is getting better. Their new mail interface is beautiful.

I knew lots of people would vote GMail but not this many! I read a review of email services by PCWorld Magazine and it said that GMail is only barely better than Yahoo! But Yahoo! is getting better. Their new mail interface is beautiful.

You have to pay $20/year or whatever to access your yahoo inbox in a regular mail client via pop, no thanks

One bad thing about GMail in terms of attachments is that you cannot send .exe files. You can't even send them inside a ZIP archive. Its a small inconvenience though.

Yeah - that can be pretty annoying. But all you have to do is rename the extension. Then tell the recipient to rename it back to .exe. :) (I rarely send .exe files anyway though)