TimeMachine fails backup

theotheo

225 posts in this topic

Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron

I tried but it didn't work. I got kalyway 10.5.1 with kernel vanilla 9.1

Tried also to format as GUID instead of MBR. But it says everytime that it cannot find the disc. I got a Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB2.0

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron

thanks, it worked:) But only after re selecting the backup disk and erase it, because i coldnt access the old backups, but it were no problem, had nothing important there:)

Thanks, this is exactly what happened to me. Strangely though I downloaded file using firefox 3 so the issue is not limited to Safari. Thanks again, I ran your commands and everything is now working.

One other thing, I had to go into networkinterfaces.plist and change from false to true for my network adapter. Hope this helps others..

Hi,

If you downloaded the kext using Safari, it has added an extended attribute to the file that will prevent the system from using it. This is new to 10.5 and is obviously an extended security measure. You can easily check this because there is an "@" symbol at the end of the permissions block on an ls : e.g., "drwxr-xr-x@ 10 root wheel 340 2 Nov 14:47 Contents"

The people who got this to work probably downloaded using Firefox.

You can see if there are extended attributes on a file using xattr. Here's a snippet:

bash-3.2# xattr IONetworkingFamily.kext/

com.apple.quarantine <=== not going to work with this!

And to fix this, run:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine IONetworkingFamily.kext

If that doesn't work, you may need to do this recursively if the component files and directories contain the same extended attribute. Thus:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

find IONetworkingFamily.kext -exec xattr -d com.apple.quarantine {} \;

This will take a minute. Ignore the "No such xattr: ..." warnings.

This may be relevant to many different 10.5 problems when files are downloaded using Safari.

I hope this helps.

Quelg

After Purusing Everyone's solution. I decided to perform an experiement. I grabbed that modified IOnetworking family kext, installed that with kexthelper to no help. Still got "cannot find volume" error. Then I realized that one guy posted he had just attached a freshly formatted external HD. Well I didnt freshly format it, but i though forcing OSX to reset the External HD, maybe time machine would work. SURE ENOUGHT THAT WAS IT! Disconnected my Seagate 320 Freeagent SB HD, got a device removal warning, then plugged it back in. Then gota popup from OSX if i wanted to use this drive for time machine. Klicked OK and tapped the backup button. POW ITs working. Some guys said that reinstalling ur network drivers were the key, since when does that have to do with hard drives?!!? Tried that too, was a waste of time.

Kalyway 10.5.2 -> Kalyway Combo 10.5.3 > AppleUPdate-> 10.5.4

Modded ATIx2600 kext (added my devId, IO80211Family kext(Added BCM4329Devid), IOnetworkingFamily.kext

Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R

Core 2 6550 OCed to 2.8

2GB Crucial Ballistix 800MHz DDR2 OCed

Linksys WMP300N running on Wireless N 150Mbps, havent figured out 300 yet.

WDC 250AAKS, 500AAKS

Seagate ST320s x2

HIS Radeon 2600Pro 256MB DDR2

Acer 19WS +Dell 19in Dual Flat panels

Almost all the kinks worked out

• 2 weeks later...

im a bit confused i downloaded the file and then ran it . i rebooted tryed the time machine but it still wont recognize my 2nd internal drive i wanna use for back up.. what am i doing wrong? please help thank you

btw im running Kalyway 10.5.2 -> Kalyway Combo 10.5.3 > AppleUPdate-> 10.5.4 . intel q6600 4g ddr2 800 asus p5k wifi deluxe bfg geforce 8800gts . everything working flawlessly except the time machine issue and i cant get the {censored} to go to sleep.

I have the same problem.

The problem is my network card is not dectected by Leopard so it doesn't work. I belive TM identifiys the drive using Mac address.

It used to work when my mobile phone was plugged in (because it showed as USB to ethernet in network prefs). But now it stopped.

Soho notes doesn't work anymore either, this is due to the same issue.

As a note I found the problem, I did some more research and it appears that it gets your MAC adresss from en0, when in network preferences I only had en1 and en2.

The only way to get this was for me to delete my network prefs plist file which is in the library /systemconfig folder. Rebooted, setup phone on en0 and it works all good again. Yay!

So tp clarify, for those having the problem, note that Time Machine identifies your backup volume as being correct by linking it to the MAC code of your machine, It gets this Mac code from the networking device that is set up as en0.

For those of you that don't have a working ethernet card, this is going to be a problem, you will need something else that Leopard can assign to this. For me my mobile phone via USB is it. Which is fine for me, as I use my USB to charge my phone anyway. So anytime I'm at home and using the computer it's plugged in.

As a note I found the problem, I did some more research and it appears that it gets your MAC adresss from en0, when in network preferences I only had en1 and en2.

The only way to get this was for me to delete my network prefs plist file which is in the library /systemconfig folder. Rebooted, setup phone on en0 and it works all good again. Yay!

So tp clarify, for those having the problem, note that Time Machine identifies your backup volume as being correct by linking it to the MAC code of your machine, It gets this Mac code from the networking device that is set up as en0.

For those of you that don't have a working ethernet card, this is going to be a problem, you will need something else that Leopard can assign to this. For me my mobile phone via USB is it. Which is fine for me, as I use my USB to charge my phone anyway. So anytime I'm at home and using the computer it's plugged in.

My ethernet adapter has been en0 since day 1 and I still can't do backups. =(

To swap en0 and en1 I removed /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and edited /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

That was it. TM working after I changed my onboard lan to en0 instead of en1.

this fix 100% works THANK YOU VERY MUCH

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron

This worked for me, thanks! I originally did this with kext helper but it didn't work. Once I followed these instructions, time machine is working perfectly.

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron

I recently installed osx 10.5 using a prepatched dvd.

Everything works fine except 'time machine' The time machine application opens just fine, it all looks realy nice. But when I open de timemachine tab in the control panel it gives me an error;

"backup volume could not be found"

Ive tried several disks, both internal and external (usb). All formatted in osx journaled format.

I've restored permissions a million times now.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

I had the same problem and am certain the root cause was not installing Leopard with the same network interfaces that I am trying to back up. I think that Time Machine may try to use your ORIGINAL network card MAC address as a unique identifier (a bit like some other software protection does to lock things to a certain piece of unique hardware). So I fixed this by basically editing my NetworkInterfaces.plist file (see http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64685) in the folder called /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/ and changing my EN1 interface to EN0 ... good luck folks :P

Note: As a side effect of my changes the network settings in control panel needed redoing

Is Time Machine able to backup and restore a GPT system partition?

I have 10.5.2 in GPT + EFI v8.0 + Vanilla and would like to be able to backup my system and restore it in case of a screw up.

This is my system:

OS= Kalyway 10.5.1 (Vanilla chosen at installation) + 10.5.2 Update using Software Update

Features= EFI V8, GUID, ToH kernel (to enable Shut Down and Sleep).

CPU= E6550 2.33GHz @ 2.975GHz (425MHz x 7)

MB= GA-P35C-DS3R Rev. 2.0

RAM= 4x1GB Kingston 800MHz @ 850MHz (1:1 FSB->RAM ratio)

VGA= 8400GS PCI-E 256MB with NVInject (using Punk92's v1.9 installer)

In case of the system going down, how do I restore it using Time Machine?

Thanks!

Just a quick note before entering the dark realm of the terminal, try unmounting the drive from the Airport and select backup again....

I had the "unable to mount drive" error initially but all my ethernet devices do work......problem was that the eject icon was populated next to the Airport Icon when I select Finder/Go/Networking.....the eject icon next to the Airport icon menas the drive IS currently mounted. You need to eject the drive before selecting backup!!! Once thats achieved Time Machine will mount and unmount the drive accordingly. This is of course is if your using an Airport Extreme with a drive attached to the USB port....Do the first backup over wired ethernet (I have gigabit lan) and then the minor updates over the air are relatively smaller than the first backup, if hourly they are in MB's.....backup is different over the Air or wired via ethernet than a USB tethered approach....Individual folders with dates are created as opposed to a time stamp of every day in a coverflow like effect.....

Just thought I'd add this to try first before entering other solutions...

UPDATE!!

I finally managed to make it work! I found the solution here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...509&p=20212

For some reason TM wants the ethernet interface en0 to be used, and for some reason in my machine my network card was assigned at en2! If you have two Network cards i think en0 just has to be assigned, then you can use wathever you want

So try removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (backup first) and reboot (this worked for me)

and editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist if needed

nb: I also have the modified kext, so i dont know if is necessary or not!

:D

hey,

this solution worked for me...thanks...for taking the time r4idei

Hi guys. My time machine can back up the file , but I can not restore the file. Every time I get into time machine and go back to the desire time the restore bottom is always grayed out. Can anyone tell me what the problem is ? Tks :)

please help me !

i can´t get this f***ing time machine app working.

i tested every fix which i can find. i still get the error "backup volume could not be found"

i´m using kalyways 10.5.4 (5.2+updates)

and an asus p5k-e wifi ap

I really didn't want to start editing plist files...so I just inserted my kext from my leov3 install...

and it worked...backing up now.... Also eliminated those UUID errors in the console

My current install is a retail 10.5 > 10.5.4

Here's the kext... http://www.mediafire.com/?wxtmny4dxln

Use kext helper then use OSX86 tools to "clear extension cache" and "set extension permissions"

on reboot use -f

good luck

I don't know what exactly was the right move to make Time machine work. I think that when I unplug the ethernet cable from my pc and plug it back after a while the problem solved! I have been trying for many days to fix this TM problem not backing up. I am so happy now! I think it was the easy way to fix my problem and couldn't find it for so long!!

It did fix mine as well> :angel: I've got my Hackintosh up and running all good> I just wonder if I screw it to an unbootable state can I boot directly from back up drive so I can reinstall the image for example?

the above solution fixed my problem. Thnx Baron

I really didn't want to start editing plist files...so I just inserted my kext from my leov3 install...

and it worked...backing up now.... Also eliminated those UUID errors in the console

My current install is a retail 10.5 > 10.5.4

Here's the kext... http://www.mediafire.com/?wxtmny4dxln

Use kext helper then use OSX86 tools to "clear extension cache" and "set extension permissions"

on reboot use -f

good luck

thank you kitmac, fix my time machine !!!

• 2 weeks later...
I recently installed osx 10.5 using a prepatched dvd.

Everything works fine except 'time machine' The time machine application opens just fine, it all looks realy nice. But when I open de timemachine tab in the control panel it gives me an error;

"backup volume could not be found"

Ive tried several disks, both internal and external (usb). All formatted in osx journaled format.

I've restored permissions a million times now.

Any suggestions on how to fix this.

there could be several reason... is your network ok? ... search Console messages for something like this: CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 ... if you find this, there is a problem related to unique identification of your host... most probably network driver related problem... try google this: "unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35"...

There's a patched IONetworkingFamily binary that fixes that CFGetHostUUIDString error. But I don't know how old it is. If you are using EFI to boot, then use EFIStudio to add a EFI string for your ethernet to the com.apple.Boot.plist file. I'm not sure if it will work in all cases. In mine I edited the AppleYukon kext to add support for my chip and using EFIStudio worked fine. This way you don't have to worry about a future OS update updating IONetworkingFamily and hosing things up again.