TimeMachine fails backup

theotheo

225 posts in this topic

Listen to ossx8899 and got it up and running! Got the Baron's kext - following his instructions. Rebooted, still had my backup drive (internal IDE 200 GB) set as my Time Machine backup. I tried doing a "backup now" command, and it was still giving me errors. I found ossx8899's post and set the Time Machine default to NONE. Then I set it back to my IDE drive and it worked like a charm. Thanks Guys!

...by using EFI strings:

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x5)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>

<dict>

<key>built-in</key>

<string>0x01</string>

</dict>

I've got errors [0], [33], [34] and [196]

Can I use EFI strings to fix them? It looks like HTML syntax, not terminal code.

Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron

Worked for me. I installed with Kext Helper, re-started and voila Time Machine now works ;) Respect to The Baron

For those of you who installed Airport Extreme Update 2008-004, it does break Time Machine as it overrides IONetworkingFamily.kext in addition to the IO80211Family.kext. (At least it broke it in my case.) The original update which got pulled (Airport Extreme Update 2008-003) was only overriding IONetworkingFamily.kext. Reverting back also involves a multitude of files in two frameworks plus a file in the /usr/libexec. And removing the receipt of the update. I had to revert all files back to before this update, and the timemachine kicked right back in. Do not install this update without backing up first. May be best not to install at all. You can see what is being installed where before you do so with Pacifist.

my 1st post. thank you, it works for me. I guess lots of people who will search this post after me will hesitate to apply the attached files above for we have to make sure our ethernet and wifi continuously work. thx again.

Friends, first of all, I would like to thank everybody that has posted and let me build my own hackintosh with success. I battled through the weekend but I think I finally made it. Time Machine was becoming my achiles heel.

For those of you that had no success with that "axttr" method.

I tried that method and successfully removed the apple.quarantine but still my time machine would not backup.

Here is what I did:

---->right click on time machine disk on desktop and press eject.

---->then I went to applications/utilities/disk utility and searched for time machine disk (grayed out) and erased the drive to HFS (Journaled) and rename the drive to Time Machine.

---->After that i went to time machine preferences and select change disk and selected the new drive.

The timeout to backup started, and guess what.. it Worked!! =)

Never posted before, but I hope it helps.

this did not worked for me :(

Every bit of this is useless I hope you know. You may be able to cob up a working Time Machine but when your balls are on the chopping block for a restore you'll find that you won't be able to do it.

The ability to restore from ANY install disc will result in epic failure. I don't know why anyone would go through the trouble of doing this if it only works 50% and the crucial feature is broken as hell.

Essentially you've enabled the ability to copy/pasta your drive contents! Good Job! \o/

• 3 weeks later...

Right on! The guy above me said it...and that worked!

Although my LAN is (en0) not really sure or even think that had anything to do with this. It's in the permissions. I did just as he had said and sure enough, I turned TM back on, pointed it to my drive, and there it went.

Got a problem here, if i use the suggested fix, i end up with a working timemachine, then you may think great :)

But then comes the problem, as soon as i reboot i don't have internet any more, it says cable not connected....

Even with my apple usb ethernet adapter :) Anyone has a fix?

Setup:

e6750

P5N-E sli (650i nforce chipset) (disabled onboard lan in BIOS)

2 gigabyte memory

Sata harddrive

Ati 1950 pro 256 MB

iPC 10.5.6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all ;)

I have Kalyway 10.5.3. and every thing works fine except time machine I did this to fix backup-

Downloaded:

Placed it it /System/Library/Extensions

Typed in terminal

sudo -s

*password*

and....

rebooted

It backs up fine now but when I go to start it it gives me two finder windows and freezes my whole desktop until I close the finder. It won't even show the time machine background Most people say it is a graphical issue but I don't know how to fix it.

Any help would be helpful. Thanks :D

• 1 month later...
Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron

Worked for me. Thanks.

I finally have TM back. :)

I’m using Leopard 10.5.6 on a PsyStar OpenPC

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Baron Fixed my problem of Time Machine too

Hey karaakeha1

Noticed that you had a Mac Pro case from your Hackintosh.

Did you already have a Mac Pro case as a previous Mac owner?

OR...

did you buy a gutted Mac Pro case.

I would love to get my hands on one and transport all the internals of my Hackintosh into one.

thanks..

kmj1268

Downloading that kext with Firefox and installing it with OSTools worked for me,both TM and network on!

Tks,

Andre

I agree. I tried it before and did not work. Downloading it with Firefox made all the difference.

Now, let´s assume that the hard drive goes belly up... Can we actually use the time machine backup to restore the system?

OK, my mac will not restart after this, if i do -s at start up, it freezes at an error. I got into the terminal and tried to replace the hacked file with my original one, but it said the disk was read-only, i tried to change the settings using chmod, but it would not change it, said read-only.

I cant access the HD either if I used the mac os cd, there is no finder winder where I can go onto the HD (there used to be in the older mac OS).

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Josh

Hmm, well, i got in and replaced the cracked file with my backup and it did not help. I still get stuck at the same error now. The error it gives me has nothing to do with the files (at least i think so).

failed to establish the default connection to the windowserver

that is the last error I get in -v mode.

This time i got this error

compressord[88]: installing XSanTest signal handler for SIGUSR1 (_xsanTestFlag = 0)

OK, i re-installed the system, back down to 10.5.2, but now my error is at this :

mac os version

not yet set

My specs are :

ASrock 4core1333 esata2

Intel core2 duo 3.0ghz

WD 320GB sata HD

Lite on DVD drive

2GB DDR2 memory

Thanks,

Josh

• 3 weeks later...

sudo -s

*password*

HTH,

The Baron

Awesome that allowed me to get it working, however now I am getting a backup failed error. any ideas?

• 2 months later...
im find on other board that my network adapter should be en0, not en1 or other to get TM work. Is that information right ? And how i can change my network ID from en1 to en0 ?

I have the same problem now.

I tried patched ToH ionetworkingfamily kext (downloaded with Firefox and installed with OSX86 Tools), tried reformating TM backup HDD. Tried selecting another backup volume but nothing helped.

In my system profiler I see that ethernet adaptor is en5 and it should be en0 for TM to work.

Can I change my ethernet adaptor to en0 and how?

This is my network SS:

post-205357-1246699921_thumb.jpg

In my system profiler I see that ethernet adaptor is en5 and it should be en0 for TM to work.

Can I change my ethernet adaptor to en0 and how?

I tried changing NetworkInterfaces.plist file. I switched the lines inside the file (en5 to en0, and en0 to en5) but it didnt help, my LAN stopped working ( :pirate2: )

Is there any more files that I should change or is there another way to change en5 to en0