TimeMachine fails backup

theotheo

225 posts in this topic

UPDATE!!

I finally managed to make it work! I found the solution here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...509&p=20212

For some reason TM wants the ethernet interface en0 to be used, and for some reason in my machine my network card was assigned at en2! If you have two Network cards i think en0 just has to be assigned, then you can use wathever you want

So try removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (backup first) and reboot (this worked for me)

and editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist if needed

nb: I also have the modified kext, so i dont know if is necessary or not!

:)

Hey guys!

I have a problem...I have mac os x 10.5 installed on my system. Tried to fix the TM, but when I rebooted the computer, the darwin boot loader wont start. The computer just reboots. I cant even go to single user mode.

Any suggestions?

I have c2d 6600 and asus p5b deluxe.

Has anyone with Adobe Acrobat installed tried to recover a partition from Time Machine? It makes the backups great, but when I go to recover, either from another Leopard install or the Leopard install disk, it stops on me with a message about not being able to copy a file from within Acrobat. One of these days I'll get around to installing Leopard on my mac pro and see how it's actually supposed to work.

Better yet has anyone tried to restore from the backup? I tried and now I can't set the HFS partition as active. I even tried reinstalling from scratch and can't get the Darwin loader. Just keep getting the old "HFS+ partition error". I tried loading from the DVD to -singleuser mode, running the fdisk--> flag partiton-->update-->write--->reboot route. Can't get the Darwin loader to run.

Any thoughts?

Hey guys!

I have a problem...I have mac os x 10.5 installed on my system. Tried to fix the TM, but when I rebooted the computer, the darwin boot loader wont start. The computer just reboots. I cant even go to single user mode.

Any suggestions?

I have c2d 6600 and asus p5b deluxe.

Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron

got it working but following SynthetiX's Proper Way of Installing & Loading Kexts (Drivers).

will u also happen to know how i can fix my network problem? my LAN controller is Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit onboard my intel dp35dp mobo.

Friends, first of all, I would like to thank everybody that has posted and let me build my own hackintosh with success. I battled through the weekend but I think I finally made it. Time Machine was becoming my achiles heel.

For those of you that had no success with that "axttr" method.

I tried that method and successfully removed the apple.quarantine but still my time machine would not backup.

Here is what I did:

---->right click on time machine disk on desktop and press eject.

---->then I went to applications/utilities/disk utility and searched for time machine disk (grayed out) and erased the drive to HFS (Journaled) and rename the drive to Time Machine.

---->After that i went to time machine preferences and select change disk and selected the new drive.

The timeout to backup started, and guess what.. it Worked!! =)

Never posted before, but I hope it helps.

hello everyone this is my 1st post, even though I have read for months. This last one worked for me too, just where no other way had before. Actually I have to say that i tried this one for the last, so I have IOnetworkink kext modifies anf eth0 active. Anyway, unmounting the disk, formatting and mounting waiting for timeout made the difference.

steve.

Guest Snowski

Mine does backup allright but it only shows today although it also backed up a few days ago (and time machine dir shows folders)

The windows behind finder are just black.

Any ideas lads?

Thx

Sounds like you need the moddified IONetworkingFamily.kext by ToH. Here it is...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HWVMONUU

After placing it it /System/Library/Extensions

sudo -s

*password*

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext

reboot, and keep your fingers crossed

HTH,

The Baron

This worked on my Bad Axe 2 board running Leopard 10.5.1 with PC EFI 5.2, thanks a million! :D

found this info on the net. and it worked for me ( at last )

Although weíve been mostly happy with Leopard, one of the features we were most looking forward to was the ability to set Time Machine to use a NAS volume like Airport Disk, thus making laptop backups wireless and sexy (well, sort of sexy) instead of wired and cumbersome. Sadly, Apple cut the feature at the last minute, but as with all things OS X, nirvana is usually just a defaults write command away, so just pop

open a terminal window and enter:defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

plus

Removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Have enter your networksettings again after first reboot

P5km-vm quat6600@3.8Ghz /Hack/Mac 10.5.1 :(

UPDATE!!

I finally managed to make it work! I found the solution here: http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...509&p=20212

For some reason TM wants the ethernet interface en0 to be used, and for some reason in my machine my network card was assigned at en2! If you have two Network cards i think en0 just has to be assigned, then you can use wathever you want

So try removing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist (backup first) and reboot (this worked for me)

and editing /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist if needed

:)

Thanks r4dei! As you said, it must be in en0.

on my intel machine,done whit TOH Intel sse2/sse3 the timemachine runs for maybe a minute or so.

almost 1 Gb then it stops,1 hour later it starts auto.

I have network working,and did the fixes in sysconfig,but stil crashes.

would really like to see it working,the animation for timemachine works also,really cool.

saw something that he acces calendar also,but i can only open icall when i have rosseta enabled whit it.

Maybe some to see for it?

saw it in preferences,there is al file for timemachine.

I had some TM issues when i tried to use the same backup volumes from my previous Toh install (now i'm running BrazilMac - Vanilla Kernel updated to 10.5.1). THe solution was to erase the volume with the old ToH backups and then re-choose it as a backup disk.I had some TM issues when i tried to use the same backup volumes from my previous Toh install (now i'm running BrazilMac - Vanilla Kernel updated to 10.5.1). THe solution was to erase the volume with the old ToH backups and then re-choose it as a backup disk.

I did that also some times,but didnt work.

Timemachine starts again,then after few minutes (almost 1 gb) it stops,no error

or somthing. Just finished,and 1 hour later it makes the next backup.

But network is not the thing ill think,cause on this machine(intel) i have network running,but on my AMD no network,but Timemachine is full running. So???

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE!!

;)

I messed around with everything in this topic, but saved this for last. I should have tried it first because it worked, I just removed every bit of info about my network, rebooted, and then my network interface was picked up as en0. I then had to go to time machine prefernces and select disk for backup and pick no disk, then select disk for backup again right after that and pick my 2nd disk. My time machine backup worked immediately after that.

hi i have a dell vostro 1500 with iatkos installed and when i setup my external harddrive for time machine everything goes fine and ill click time machine and it opens up another window of time machine ....it does not go into space can someone post a patch and a walkthrough step bye step to get it to work.