Asus P5W DH Deluxe thread for 10.5.x Leo - 10.9.x Mavericks

G5rocks

1,494 posts in this topic

I've installed retail 10.6.3 on the P5W via Empire EFI/My Hack.

I had to delete Applehpet.Kext though to get some usb devices working properly.

Anyone know what effects this may have and if there is an alternative to this?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Lion developer is working pretty well on my p5w.

FYI - make sure to turn off serial port in bios for [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to work !

I used this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1650006

Any luck trying Chameleon. I 've tried the netkas' solutions, but DF every time. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works though!

P5W Lion Developer Installation

Any luck trying Chameleon. I 've tried the netkas' solutions, but DF every time. [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works though!

Ive had no luck with the different chameleon solutions. The best solution, for me has been the new xpc.

EDIT: Chameleon works fine now (except RAID)

This Guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1650006

Changes to guide above:

1. If xpc/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] don't work - turn off serial port in bios.

2. Use Woody's applehda.kext with dsdt that has hdef section added. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1612787

UPDATE: 6/2011 Chameleon does indeed work now !

Here are the goods:

P5W_changes_Lion.zip

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum even though I've been reading a lot about this motherboard.

I did an install with 314TeR's guide. I upgraded my BIOS to 3001, and I used the 3.0 version of his BootCD, with a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD.

Before that I changed my BIOS setting to look exactly as the one given by 314TeR on his page here.

Even though I can't read polish so I could have made a mistake :D

Everything seemed to work fine except for the audio, which I fixed using the 10.6.2 AppleHD kext.

After this, The only (and huge) problem I have is that I've been getting lots of spinning beachball stalls on different applications, it seems this happens when I click on an "Examine..." button to retrieve a file (e.g: When trying to send a file through an IM app, or trying to upload a file to a web page), but not always. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried turning SpeedStep on and off with no changes.

I don't understand at all the DSDT usage and different functions, So I used the DSDT patcher GUI.

I have a E6400 Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB Ram. Thanks in advance guys ;)

Edit: Also I haven't been able to use restart, haven't tried sleep or shutdown.

Edit2: Ok, I have been trying to learn a little more about the process, It seems in the BootCD version 3.0 that 314TeR made, there IS a DSDT for my CPU and amount of ram ("3001 E6400 2GB no SpeedSteep"). What I still haven't been able to understand is what should I do with It :/ .

I tried puting it on /Extra, and when I booted to OS X I couldn't use my USB Mouse, so I guess that's not what I had to do.

Today I dumped a .dsl file from windows with the DSDT Auto-Patcher, I tried using that one on /Extra but now I have no audio. And the spinning beach ball problem hasn't been fixed.

Please If someone could help I'd be happy to upload my .dsl file. Thanks !

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum even though I've been reading a lot about this motherboard.

I did an install with 314TeR's guide. I upgraded my BIOS to 3001, and I used the 3.0 version of his BootCD, with a Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail DVD.

Before that I changed my BIOS setting to look exactly as the one given by 314TeR on his page here.

Even though I can't read polish so I could have made a mistake :P

Everything seemed to work fine except for the audio, which I fixed using the 10.6.2 AppleHD kext.

After this, The only (and huge) problem I have is that I've been getting lots of spinning beachball stalls on different applications, it seems this happens when I click on an "Examine..." button to retrieve a file (e.g: When trying to send a file through an IM app, or trying to upload a file to a web page), but not always. Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried turning SpeedStep on and off with no changes.

I don't understand at all the DSDT usage and different functions, So I used the DSDT patcher GUI.

I have a E6400 Core 2 Duo processor, and 2GB Ram. Thanks in advance guys :D

Edit: Also I haven't been able to use restart, haven't tried sleep or shutdown.

Edit2: Ok, I have been trying to learn a little more about the process, It seems in the BootCD version 3.0 that 314TeR made, there IS a DSDT for my CPU and amount of ram ("3001 E6400 2GB no SpeedSteep"). What I still haven't been able to understand is what should I do with It :/ .

I tried puting it on /Extra, and when I booted to OS X I couldn't use my USB Mouse, so I guess that's not what I had to do.

Today I dumped a .dsl file from windows with the DSDT Auto-Patcher, I tried using that one on /Extra but now I have no audio. And the spinning beach ball problem hasn't been fixed.

Please If someone could help I'd be happy to upload my .dsl file. Thanks !

You MUST add hdef section to your dsdt. It is a cut and paste job. See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1612787

use Woodies applehda.kext.

You MUST add hdef section to your dsdt. It is a cut and paste job. See: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1612787

use Woodies applehda.kext.

Ok, I'll see if that works (and If I'm able to understand ;))

This should take care of the audio problem? Because the biggest problem I'm having right now is the constant stallings (spinning beach balls). If you know anything about it that could help me, it'd be great. The audio is not that bad since I use an external audio interface!

Anyway thanks a lot man!!

• 2 weeks later...

Developer Preview of the new version 4.0. New version available here:

http://forum.osx86.org.pl/topics30/uniboot...view-vt4415.htm

The exact description of the changes found in the thread above, unfortunately, in Polish. In short, just write that I hope I solved all the previous problems. In particular, the need to manually improve the DSDT, and problems with running the sound card.

Enjoy

The exact description of the changes found in the thread above, unfortunately, in Polish. In short, just write that I hope I solved all the previous problems. In particular, the need to manually improve the DSDT, and problems with running the sound card.

Enjoy

Very good job. This is the best solution to date !!

P5W issues:

1. After starting with you boot cd - DSDT didn't generate (on an older install). I then extracted your dsdt generator in Pacifist and it worked great.

2. Firewire still doesn't work - "runtime power disabled" I believe a dsdt issue.

3. Sound - No 5.1 from alc882 - analog and digital stereo work fine. No 5.1 digital.

4. Hdmi sound from graphics card. I would gladly use my gt220 hdmi sound - but can't get it to work. Gigabyte mb's use gfx0 fix in dsdt to get it to work. The exact Gigabyte mb GFX0 fix does not work on P5W. I would love to get that working.

5. I would love to have a rtl8187 kext that would work w/x64 !

Again, GREAT JOB!!

Enjoy

Thanks 314TeR!!

Installed this today without any issues! Almost everything is working great out of the box. The only issue I have is when "Computer Sleep" or "Display Sleep" executes only the primary monitor shuts off/wakes up after sleep. I poked around the DSDT a bit and tried to find some examples online but couldn't find much. (Im using the DSDT that came with 314TeR 4.0 PKG). Also my 2nd monitor is using a VGA->DVI converter if that matters. Does anyone know where to look in the DSDT to fix this? or have any ideas?

Also for future reference do I always have to update the os via combo update and then re-patch with 314TeR PKG?

Thanks!!

Thanks 314TeR!!

Installed this today without any issues! Almost everything is working great out of the box. The only issue I have is when "Computer Sleep" or "Display Sleep" executes only the primary monitor shuts off/wakes up after sleep. I poked around the DSDT a bit and tried to find some examples online but couldn't find much. (Im using the DSDT that came with 314TeR 4.0 PKG). Also my 2nd monitor is using a VGA->DVI converter if that matters. Does anyone know where to look in the DSDT to fix this? or have any ideas?

Also for future reference do I always have to update the os via combo update and then re-patch with 314TeR PKG?

Thanks!!

The problem with the monitor awake is probably associated with the method of starting VGA, not DSDT. I used the Chameleon GraphicsEnabler. If it does not work properly, turn off the GE located in com.apple.Boot.plist and try another method run VGA.

The need to re-install is only like after installing the update, you lose the sound.

Firstly, thanks 314TeR for all your effort in supporting this board. :rolleyes:

Did a fresh install of 10.6 and updated to 10.6.7 via combo updater, ran the uniboot installer and everything seemed to go well, restarted the machine and I get a hang at the blue screen just before where the desktop would appear.

The only thing different about my system (not sure if it matters) is that there is a Win 7 installation on another physical drive in the system. But chameleon sees and tries to boot my snow leopard partition.

Not sure what's going on.

(note, specs as listed in my sig have changed -- I put the 3ghz C2Duo in the Asus Board awhile ago, rest is accurate).

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all

I've just installed OSX 10.6.3 on my P5W system following the instructions/boot-CD from 314TeR, and it worked like a charm. Then installed the combo update, installed the post-installation package and restarted.

All is working well, except for sound.

I've browsed this forum and countless others, and there are multiple solutions... The appleHDA is broken after update, thats for sure, and now I want my sound restored. I've read about rollback of the appleHDA, and use of the woodyHDA, and then someone mentions a 882 modified kext... I'm confused.

What I want is what I got after the install of 10.6.3. Frontpanel audio out, and the rear speakers and digital out working.

Can someone explain how I can do this, in a step by step manner with links to the needed files/utilities?

I would be very thankful for this.

and 314TeR, your installationpackage is just great! :(

Please help me!

My system

P5W DH Deluxe with BIOS 3002 (from Asus web site).

NVidia Geforce 8600GT (256) With two DVI outputs (connected with adaptor dvi-vga to my vga monitor)

Only 2Gb of RAM (2 simms of 1Gb 667Mhz)

CPU intel E6600 2.4Ghz Core2Duo

SATA DVD Samsung

SATA HDD 500Gb

Keyboard and mouse Microsoft USB wireless

I have try to install using last version of uniBootX following the instructions but my problem is the NVidia Graphics Card (I Think)

- Boot with uniBootX 4.0

- Change DVD to Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.3

- Installation of Snow Leopard. First OS configuration (account..).

- Without restarting, installation the UniBootX 4.0 DP1 for Asus p5w...

Then I restart the computer and i can see the chameleon and loading of Snow Leopard without Kernel Panics.

When the Desktop should be shown i get a black screen (hard disk works some time).

I think that the problem is the graphics configuration but don't know what can i do and how.

Could the problem be that i have 2Gb of RAM instead of 4Gb?

Any help, step by step should be very appreciate, I don't know how to use command line from boot to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

@fortegas, try to connect monitor by DVI, without DVI->VGA dongle.

@Settepotet, To get sound to work after the upgrade, just reinstall the package, selecting only the sound. If you used to run sound VoodooHDA, that it causes conflict.

The best way to achieve 100% success, is to install a system update to 10.6.7, reboot and then install my package.

Hey 314TER,

I have used your new UNIbootx 4.0 and it worked great.

But I just recently upgraded from 1gb of 675 ram to 4gb of 800 ram. And now the computer wont shut down completely. I am logged out of osx and the screen turns black but the computer is still running. When I insert the two sticks of 675 it will resume to shut down again. Can your help me? I tried messing with some settings in the BIOS but nothing has helped. Also now I cant get the computer to sleep in osx. Everything else works great.

Thanks

Hey 314TER,

I have used your new UNIbootx 4.0 and it worked great.

But I just recently upgraded from 1gb of 675 ram to 4gb of 800 ram. And now the computer wont shut down completely. I am logged out of osx and the screen turns black but the computer is still running. When I insert the two sticks of 675 it will resume to shut down again. Can your help me? I tried messing with some settings in the BIOS but nothing has helped. Also now I cant get the computer to sleep in osx. Everything else works great.

Thanks

Boot from UniBootX BootCD and rainstall UniBootX Installer for P5W DH Deluxe. The installer will compile the new DSDT. After this operation, shutdown and sleep will return.

Boot from UniBootX BootCD and rainstall UniBootX Installer for P5W DH Deluxe. The installer will compile the new DSDT. After this operation, shutdown and sleep will return.

I have tried what you said but I am still not able to shutdown or go into sleep mode. When you mentioned to boot from the UnibootX, you mean boot the disc/ select harddrive/ and then reinstall the UnibootX installer, correct? Or do you mean that I have to do a fresh install of OSX again? thanks

I have tried what you said but I am still not able to shutdown or go into sleep mode. When you mentioned to boot from the UnibootX, you mean boot the disc/ select harddrive/ and then reinstall the UnibootX installer, correct? Or do you mean that I have to do a fresh install of OSX again? thanks

Boot from UniBootX and select hdd, and then reinstal UniBootX installer.