Favorite Design Fonts

Swad

46 posts in this topic

For those of you who do a lot of web development, what are your favorite fonts?

I'm a big fan of Avenir, and it's been used a lot. Also cool is this one I just found called Kartika (thanks Deetman!). Here's an example of a logo done with Kartika. (What do you think of the logo?)

alarm5finalsmaller.jpg

I'm also a big fan of a few others, like Mrs. Eaves, but haven't used them because I don't have the money to buy them.

What are some of your favorites?

Hmmm, not sure if I have a favorite, but a designer at goodfonts.org made a wonderful collection of free must have professional fonts (300 of them). I just tried to go to his website, but unfortunately, it no longer exists. <_<

If you are interested, I found a mirror of these fonts here:

http://www.mijnkopthee.nl/archive/2005/04/01/goodfontsorg

The file is called goodfonts.zip

Hmmm, not sure if I have a favorite, but a designer at goodfonts.org made a wonderful collection of free must have professional fonts (300 of them). I just tried to go to his website, but unfortunately, it no longer exists. :)

If you are interested, I found a mirror of these fonts here:

http://www.mijnkopthee.nl/archive/2005/04/01/goodfontsorg

The file is called goodfonts.zip

Hi there,

The link seems to be dead.. Could you try to host this file somewhere if it's not too big? (ie, Rapidshare?)

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
What do you think of the logo?

i think that it's bad balanced... such a feeling that something missing... (like in the "Madagascar penguins in a Christmas caper" movie ::)) )

well, i don't know... now it looks like something without a soul.

try to give it to that logo!

you have 4 elements: text, digit, weaves and background. just place them in a right way and everything will be great! yes, you can do weaves a bit smaller or you can do them biger and place as a text background etc. the same story with the 5 digit: size, color, shape, placement and so on...

but it's just my point of wiev... sorry, if i wrong...

Mashugly, when i trying to install those fonts system says that there are "Serious problems were found. Do not use this font". but they are really pretty... :gun:

i have ignored one... after that it appears on many web sites where nobody even knows about it's existing! i've just killed it...

Yea, It looks unbalanced. Either you need something on the other side, or you need to downsize the radio waves. I tried downsizing the radio waves real quick just for an example and I think it looks much better.

alarm56mi.jpg

and more one thing about the last version of logo... let the weaves to be the same shape as the down of the 5 digit... and maybe you can do something more interesting with it font and maybe even color... IMHO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Now it looks a little funny, no need to make the 5 bold either. Keep it all the same font, and make the sound waves the same height as the "m", centered a little more so it's coming out of the O shape in the 5 instead of the top. Just a little more kerning (and tracking) too, your spacing is a little out, and needs some fixing.

Font's of choice: Helvetica (for anything plain), Futura (for anything fancy), Myriad (in the middle). You cannot go wrong using a combination of the many styles availible for these three fonts. Times in CAPS also looks real fancy if you make the first letter of each word a few point sizes bigger.

As far as typography goes, it is always best to underdo it. Overdone typography looks awful. A good rule is to get it the way you want it, then go back a few steps. It's really subconcious that way. At colledge, the greatest skills I learnt were from a teacher who had a passion, hmm maybe an obsession for typography. It really washed out onto me (and the rest of the class) too. I couldn't be more greatful for those skills she taught us. In this day an age of anybody (any kid) with a computer can be a graphic designer, good, true typography is so often overlooked. Yet when you see it, you know what it is and how good it looks.

By the way what do you do mash, are you are pro graphic designer? Or a hobby dude?

I'm a web designer, just starting off in my career, with a colledge education and a bit of freelance work behind me. Man it's tough, the jobs are out there, but you gotta work hard to get them. I've applied for many, and so far not a single reply. Kinda dis-heartening. Lucky I have confidence in my work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

contrasting font sizes is distracting, and "alarm" font weight is too light. punch up "alarm" in bold, use the same font size for all text, and consider using an outline instead of solid for the 5, as you still need to draw attention to it without adding a new color to the mix.

that's what i'd do anyway. ;)

henbjo design is cool, except the waves on top of the "l" make it look more like a giant "i". that's one thing to consider. as a whole "alarm5" should have the same font size. what about having "alarm" in a shade of gray and then the "5" in a darker shade of gray or black. also, maybe reproportion the waves and add another one. so far kdays' is the one i like the most.

• 2 weeks later...