The high price of Apple computers

~pcwiz

281 posts in this topic

Both Laptops are good, but it is obvious and it has always been obvious that you pay a price premium for a Mac. When Macs couldn't run Windows and PCs couldn't run OS X, the decision was simple. You wanted OS X you got a mac. You wanted Windows you got a PC. But now that the OS boundaries are slowly being broken, its a harder decision. It all comes down to price, reliability, and design. Macs are expensive over an equal PC model so Macs don't win the price wars. Reliabilty: Macs are usually reliable but there have been some problems with laptops and desktops alike with Macs but probably not as many problems as with PCs. Design: Macs obviously win here. You won't find any PC on the market that looks as good as the iMac or the Mac Pro. For laptops, there are some hyped out PC laptops that look nice, maybe better than a MacBook but a MacBook ( at least the Pro model) looks pretty nice. Its 50-50 right now :)

Just my :P

You added the red color and upgraded the OS.

That's subjective.

And an XPS1330 with the same specs is the same price. But there's a instant $100 savings in effect so it's $1199 currently.

Oh, sorry, I forgot that the $25 makes day and night difference with you. I'd thought I'd at least make it somewhat interesting, since Dell computers look like dog.

And it's not subjective. Leopard is the best version of OS X available, just as Vista Ultimate is the best version of Windows available.

I'm still getting $1,324 (after the $100 rebate, and the $0 black option) from Dell's pricing, which IMO (and others) is still not worth it since this Dell can't even run OS X.

Yet, the MacBook runs both Leopard AND Vista whatever-flavor.

And it's not subjective. Leopard is the best version of OS X available, just as Vista Ultimate is the best version of Windows available.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/leopard-osx-pr...eview-1028.html

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9806005-37.html

http://blog.wize.com/my_weblog/2007/11/ten-leopard-pro.html

If this is the best Apple has to offer, I dunno. It's no big secret that Leopard has it's problems.

Yet, the MacBook runs both Leopard AND Vista whatever-flavor.

As long as you buy it.

Oh, the the absolutely lowest base model XPS 1330 that can be built is $999.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/leopard-osx-pr...eview-1028.html

http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9806005-37.html

http://blog.wize.com/my_weblog/2007/11/ten-leopard-pro.html

If this is the best Apple has to offer, I dunno. It's no big secret that Leopard has it's problems.

As long as you buy it.

But, let's be real here. Compared to Vista? C'mon. I like Windows. But Leopard is a better user experience. Period.

Oh, the the absolutely lowest base model XPS 1330 that can be built is $999. Tho Apple doesn't even give the option to choose economical specs that low so you start $300 higher.

Yes, I see your point. I'm just trying to prove mine. The topic is "The high price of Apple Computers." When it comes to the MacBook, it seems as if Apple is being fair. Apple isn't gouging it's prices, since the competition is roughly around the same.

Pro is a different ball game, and I agree. Same with ram. And displays. And everything else.

What's important to one user might be totally meaningless to another. Some people don't see any real difference between OS X and Windows (generally people who aren't interested in computers) while some think it's worth a few extra bucks to be able to run OS X (remember, for people who work with media Windows and OS X are the only choices). The same goes for hardware. I couldn't care less about 3D performance in games, but I really appreciate the iMac for its silence, small footprint, lack of cables, good looks, and fantastic OS that beats Windows hands down in usability (Exposé, Dashboard, Spaces, Spotlight...need I go on?).

I see a lot of ignorance here. It's not all about getting the fastest hardware for the money, it's about the complete user experience. Spend your money on features that are meaningful to you. A 2 GHz Core2Duo is overkill for most people anyway.

What's important to one user might be totally meaningless to another. Some people don't see any real difference between OS X and Windows (generally people who aren't interested in computers) while some think it's worth a few extra bucks to be able to run OS X (remember, for people who work with media Windows and OS X are the only choices). The same goes for hardware. I couldn't care less about 3D performance in games, but I really appreciate the iMac for its silence, small footprint, lack of cables, good looks, and fantastic OS that beats Windows hands down in usability (Exposé, Dashboard, Spaces, Spotlight...need I go on?).

I see a lot of ignorance here. It's not all about getting the fastest hardware for the money, it's about the complete user experience.

GREAT post Threepwood ;)

I can't understand what are people trying to prove by comparing e.g a dell and a macbook.

The MB is more expensive...so what?

People that think that the MB is worth the extra cash they are going to pay for it.

Well i don't care if i paid more...i am happy with my choice.

If you can't afford a proper mac build a hackintosh...it will be cheaper and you are going to brag to your friends that you are cleverer since you have spent less for equal specs. Well done, i will give you a cookie.

I made this topic to discuss the perspective of someone who DOESN'T know about OSx86. So if they are familiar with Mac computers or if they are n00bs who just think Macs look cool and like the feel, then they'll go for a mac. If people are hard core Windows people that are afraid to even touch a Mac, then they'll go for a PC. If people are on a budget, they could go with a PC or a Mac. You can find dirt cheap Dells that perform horribly, even with XP or you can go for a $500 Mac Mini which will give way better overall performance over a junky Dell.

I see a lot of ignorance here. It's not all about getting the fastest hardware for the money,

No, it's about getting the fastest hardware for the money. ;) (In my case at least, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to post that.)

No, it's about getting the fastest hardware for the money. :D

I said it's not all about getting the fastest hardware for the money, of course it matters. For a workstation I think the Mac Pro is a bad choice since you can get an equally fast machine for a lot less, and when you're working with only one or two apps the OS isn't as important; you don't get better results by using the Adobe suite on a Mac. It's the exact same thing on Windows. If you need a Mac only app like Logic then it's a different matter, and the best choice would be to build a Hackintosh if you know how (and you can make the damn thing quiet if you build it yourself).

Buying a slower Mac because you prefer using it over a Windows box doesn't make you stupid even if you can get 20 more fps omg!!!1 (pwnd!!!1) for the money if you choose Windows.

you don't get better results by using the Adobe suite on a Mac. It's the exact same thing on Windows.

I beg to differ on that. There is some speculation that the next CS suite will be Mac only or something like that :)

There is some speculation that the next CS suite will be Mac only
Does it make any financial sense for Adobe to make CS Mac only, by ignoring 95% of the computer user base? There is no speculation, just mental disorder by some fanboys.
HEY GUYZ, A PORSCHE IS EXPENSIVE, THEY SUCK LOL. WHY BUY A PORSCHE WHEN YOU CAN GET A MUSTANG??? LOL
Both Porsche and Ford suck, as they are overweighted. Get any better examples?

Does it make any financial sense for Adobe to make CS Mac only, by ignoring 95% of the computer user base? There is no speculation, just mental disorder by some fanboys.

Although I understand your point, the print media/publishing field might be a area where Macs are the dominant platform.

(Having worked for several it's a odd sight to walk into a graphic department and not see a single PC ;) )

HEY GUYZ, A PORSCHE IS EXPENSIVE, THEY SUCK LOL. WHY BUY A PORSCHE WHEN YOU CAN GET A MUSTANG??? LOL

Macs and PCs have the same processors, hardrivers, video cards, RAM etc. Porsches and Fords don't have any parts in common, so your logic is fail. GG.

i think it's worthless discussing the price difference of Macs and PCs

PCs don't run OSX - if you want to use OSX you'll have to buy a Mac

if you're happy with Windows or Linux, you got the choice between cheap and expensive

Apple created the iMac and nice looking Laptops

you get a slim and good looking design

and you get OSX & iLife

the price of a Mac in Europe is much higher than in the States

if someone should be in a rage - it's our business

PCs don't run OSX - if you want to use OSX you'll have to buy a Mac

Er...I hate to burst your bubble but this forum is mainly about running OS X on PCs, and that project has been very successfull ;) So, based on that, none of the rest of your post makes sense except that Macs have nice design :)