The high price of Apple computers

~pcwiz

281 posts in this topic

Interesting thread but my personal Hackintosh has exceeded the price of the current 8 core Mac Pro entry level very easily. I would argue its current status puts it up easily exceeding performance of that machine. Its nearly one and half years old with continually upgrading parts. Latest is my 100gig VERTEX LE soon FERMI but its not important sense FERMI is not supported and Windows 7 is rarely used other than downloading and video encoding while I am out. Just gotten so use to the magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard. Overall I wouldn't mind having another Mac around so they could be on together. One is doing mundane downloading stuff and gaming. The other looking pretty and posting here and my movie, music encoding. Hell I was looking at an IPS monitor but thats a waste considering Apple's 27" is great + its a computer. Iofusion PCI-E is also tempting but then again not Apple compatible. IMO if you can enjoy and use your computer thats all that matters. I had named my pentuim 166mhz Turtle and loved that thing until it was just to unpractical to have around. Apples pricing just seems to = slower performance per dollar but then again beyond a certain price the return of your performance parts has very little return.

• 2 weeks later...

im not sad about all the prices, for example, the price for the ipods are very fair in comparison with other mp3-players with the same features... but if you want to buy a new mac or an iphone it gets hard if your not earning that much money... :-(

Eh, it's fairly simple. I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but Apple makes money from hardware. Microsoft, in the PC world, makes money from software. Compare the price of Snow Leopard to Windows 7 Ultimate. Apple's selling point is that you have to buy their hardware to run OS X (obviously plenty of people on this forum would have a thing or two to say about that, but for the general public, this is the perception, and it's fairly accurate). Apple is all about appearance and it shows that designers, not engineers, are the most prominent voice in the creation of new Macs. I've been using a Mac since 1993, and things have changed a lot, but apple still gets away with selling underpowered computers with functionality stripped from them that wouldn't be acceptable to any veteran computer user because hey, their stuff is pretty, and OS X is an incredible OS.

I'd like to point out that buying a refurb from Apple typically sets things pretty balanced. The only trouble is the newer releases tend to have some bells and whistles that really put the refurbs to shame. I ended up shelling out more when I got my first Mac just because the refurbs didn't come with multitouch. :(