10.4.10 Upgrade Sucessful

josh256

305 posts in this topic

Hm it seems there are a lot of troubles with loginwindow and graphic kexts. For some it works, for some it doesnt. Very weird.

For now it seems, that people with agp graphics card have troubles with new ati/nvidia kexts, so I suggest those people backup and replace those kexts before reboot.

Aside to that I'll wait for new kernel to come, maybe it will fix some of the troubles.

Hm it seems there are a lot of troubles with loginwindow and graphic kexts. For some it works, for some it doesnt. Very weird.

For now it seems, that people with agp graphics card have troubles with new ati/nvidia kexts, so I suggest those people backup and replace those kexts before reboot.

Aside to that I'll wait for new kernel to come, maybe it will fix some of the troubles.

My NVidia is no agp; that's PCI-Express. Do you think the problem could depend on that?

Just replace your ATI oder nVidia kext files with one of the 10.4.9 package. Do the same with the loginwindow (if there are any problems). If your system hangs or you get kernel panics, just reboot until your systems boots fine into your desktop. This worked for me.

Lemme ask a stupid question. What's the point of installing the update if you are then overlaying with and older kernel?

Lol i assume it makes you feel upgraded LOL

anyway, this information its important, cuz when the new kernel went out we just need to replace it and its all.

regards

Just replace your ATI oder nVidia kext files with one of the 10.4.9 package. Do the same with the loginwindow (if there are any problems). If your system hangs or you get kernel panics, just reboot until your systems boots fine into your desktop. This worked for me.

Can you explain how to do that... So use the terminal to store the kexts elsewhere, then replace after running the update right? And is it all the ones that have nVidia in the name?

Can you explain how to do that... So use the terminal to store the kexts elsewhere, then replace after running the update right? And is it all the ones that have nVidia in the name?

Did you make any extensions backup of your 10.4.9 extensions?

COuld anybody please post a link to the Intel package? If not it would be nice to know wich irc server to conect to where the #10.4.10 channel is. Have connected to so many servers, but cannot find the channel anywhere.

The server you search for ist irc.osx86.hu.

On Dell Inspiron 6400:

Used PascalW's Intel Updater... worked fine, but I had to use 10.4.4 login window to fix about this Mac - interestingly i'd never had to to this before (on 10.4.7, 8 or 9), it had always worked fine.

Needed to re-install Graphics (GMA950) before reboot, and also need to re-do the HDA patch for audio.

I'm tempted to do a fresh re-install and upgrade manually to see if I can use the new login window...

~mac.nub

Netkas Fixed loginwindows for 10.4.9 link is on MEGAUPLOAD but I never managed to get it from there, always all slots are full.

Can someone post it somewhere, please?

I finally managed to get 10.4.10 to work. I only replaced GeForce.kext with the old one from 10.4.9. I didn't even need to replace loginwindow :) (`About This Mac` shows correct CPU information).

Only problem I noticed was that Xbench and Geekbench scores were much lower than with 10.4.9.

Xbench was 85, now - 76. Geekbench results dropped from 3455 to 2095, most significant drop is in floating point section - score was 6559, now it's 2672.