10.4.10 Upgrade Sucessful

josh256

305 posts in this topic

hey just wondering but umm.. how would i apply the amd patch on and amd?i have JaS 10.4.8 so any help would be greatful. how do i use .pkg.tbz files? im new to all this so please dont flame me , and please use simple steps :(

could someone write a nice tutorial like in the first page ? :)

If you are on 10.4.8, don't you have first to upgrade to 10.4.9? Correct me if I'm false.

hey just wondering but umm.. how would i apply the amd patch on and amd?i have JaS 10.4.8 so any help would be greatful. how do i use .pkg.tbz files? im new to all this so please dont flame me , and please use simple steps :)

could someone write a nice tutorial like in the first page ? :)

double click it and it will extract. open up the folder and double click the .pkg

Perhaps this is in the wrong place, but: how is the "Universal" support for the 8.10.1 kernel? Does it work on both AMD & Intel, as well as SSE3 & SSE2? I'm an SSE2 user who is quite curious. Excellent work so far guys; keep up the good work!

Work fine for mi except Apple disk mount imager.

Say device not configured.

Any idea for solutions?

Regards.

Had the same problem.

Try:

1) Open terminal and enter "sudo nano /etc/rc"

2) Go to the very bottom of the file

3) there you can read "exit 0". On the line above it add

kextunload -c com.apple.AppleDiskImageController

kextload -b com.apple.AppleDiskImageController

4) It should look like this:

fi

kextunload -c com.apple.AppleDiskImageController

kextload -b com.apple.AppleDiskImageController

exit 0

5) Exit the editor, saving your changes, reboot and it should work again.

I'm on Intel and like to know as well. I'm on 10.4.10.

Everything works for me except system profiler. About this mac is fine, but system profiler crashes. Any ideas?

you need the 10.4.4loginwindow. PM me and I can link you to it, or on your Installation DVD, it should be under the following directory:

/System/Installation/Packages/loginwindow.10.4.4.pkg

:D

I'm kind of new to backing up some of these things, and the filesystem / directory layout of OSX, I was wondering.

In one of the steps it says to "backup /mach_kernel" I was wondering, where is this located? Or what is it?

I know the .kext's that I need to back up. I used a X1600 series Natit.kext installer from DiaboliK and I'm sure that I have to back those .kext's up. I have a IONetworkFamily.kext for my Intel Ethernet that I know I have to back up. and all then .kext's listed in the first post. I'm just not sure about the /mach_kernel.

Help would be greately appericated,

Thanks.

I just wanted to say thanks to Josh256 and others for the help. I updated my 10.4.9 system to 10.4.10 and all appears to be running just fine.

I downloaded the 10.4.10 kernel and r3d3.k3xt from links on the #10.4.10 irc, backed up the /System/Library/Extensions directory and ran System Preferences -> Software Update to add the 10.4.10 and security updates.

I manually replaced the *NVD*, AppleSMBIOS, AppleACPI*, AppleAPIC*, and IOATA* kexts from the 10.4.9 backup and inserted the new r3d3.kext and 10.4.10 mach_kernel.

The system restarted and ran without a problem - so far.

Again, thanks to others for their work and help.

Whatsoever....., I couldn't find the new kernel on the internet neither can I connect to this channel, so please I'm begging you people, give me the link to this new kernel! Is it so difficult for you to do this little favor?

MACulas check your PMs. also, i tried installing the new kernel, but it hung at the grey apple logo the 3 times i tried to boot. i booted into Windows and reverted to my old kernel using macdrive. any help is appreciated

I have successfully updated to 10.4.10 but now i can't open ISO files anymore.

It shows an error which says: "Device not configured"

Can somebody please help me?

tri this :

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOHDIXController.kext

Thank you Lkr! I installed it, all went very smooth, now I'm with the 8.10.1 kernel.

But I have a problem! When I enter OS X, the system hangs like something's loading, i looked at the Activity monitor, but there is nothing suspicious. I don't know what's the reason for that! But it seems it's something from my last kernel update, when I updated to koolkal's last kernel! Since than, every time I start my OS X it hangs for about 30 seconds, and than everything is ready! Interesting but it happens even on 8.10.1! If someone know what's the reason for this, please tell me, because it's annoying.

Once again thank you Lkr!

P.S. I saw the process which may cause my problem, it's called update_prebindin! It seems that, when it's loading the whole system hangs, and when it disappear everything is back to normal! I just don't know how to stop this process from starting up with the operating system!

Whatsoever....., I couldn't find the new kernel on the internet neither can I connect to this channel, so please I'm begging you people, give me the link to this new kernel! Is it so difficult for you to do this little favor?

Probably because its legality is a bit questionable.

P.S. I saw the process which may cause my problem, it's called update_prebindin! It seems that, when it's loading the whole system hangs, and when it disappear everything is back to normal! I just don't know how to stop this process from starting up with the operating system!

Ah, good, I'm not the only one with the same problem. It doesn't hang my system it just makes it a bit slow for a minute. I can't find the command that's running it in any of the maintenance files or startup directories so I'm not sure what's going on.

MACulas I need some help. what exactly did you do to install and were you on 10.4.10 when installing the kernel? thanks

What I did was:

1.To rename my old kernel from mach_kernel to mach_kernel_backup

2.To put the new kernel on the same place

3.To copy the r3d3.kext in my /System/Library/Extensions folder

4.To start Terminal.app and type the following commands:

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/MAC\ OS\ X/mach_kernel

chmod -R root:wheel /Volumes/MAC\ OS\ X/mach_kernel

and

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/r3d3.kext/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/r3d3.kext/

than

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

and finally

reboot

That's it! Simple as that! After restart the system loaded and everything was OK!

Ah, good, I'm not the only one with the same problem. It doesn't hang my system it just makes it a bit slow for a minute. I can't find the command that's running it in any of the maintenance files or startup directories so I'm not sure what's going on.

It seems that the problem is caused by the Application Enhancer! I was on the unsanity web site, and there was a solution for this problem! They suggested to update my current Application Enhancer version from 2.0.2 to 2.0.3! Updated, and now it's gone! OS X loads faster than before, and there is not even a sign from that update_prebinding! :hbd:

Turns out the new r3d3.kext is _vital_ to the whole operation. I replaced that with the new version, replaced mach_kernel and system.kext with the 8.10.1 versions, recycled the Extensions caches & permissions, rebooted and all is ok now! Turns out the old r3d3 was providing something essential to decrypt the loginwindow or somesuch.

Now running 10.4.10 with a full 8.10.1 kernel! :)

I didn't even realise that I had the Application Enhancer installed, apparently I did though, so I've updated to 2.0.3, see if that helps.

*EDIT - Yep, that sorted it out. No more prebinding scanning on bootup. Good find Maculas!

:hbd: