Parallels 3.0 available for download

24 posts in this topic

Be warned--the version 3.0 trial activation key does not work--at least not for me and other posters on MacRumors, MacNN and elsewhere.

Parallels support is non-existent so don't expect a resolution anytime soon.

Be warned--the version 3.0 trial activation key does not work--at least not for me and other posters on MacRumors, MacNN and elsewhere.

Parallels support is non-existent so don't expect a resolution anytime soon.

I wish I had known before installing it :D

Trial key works fine for me. Now my review...

For me I am loving the new Parallels 3.0. Haven't had a lot of time to test 3D yet, but the few programs I did use (Second Life and IMVU) run MUCH better then on earlier versions of Parallels, and was about equal in performance to VMWare.

What really sets Parallels apart is all the new features (including cross OS application compatibility) that were included in 3.0. I have barely scratched the surface playing with these and I am already blown away. In general performace terms, I would say Parallels 3.0 versus Parallels build 3138 (last final pre-3.0 build) there is roughly about a 30-40% performance increase in my Windows XP VM.

Installed and tried to run MythWars (free online MMORPG with very discreet graphics) last night to no avail on the ol' macPro (with Parallels 3.0 of course). The game still crashes in parallels 3.0 just like in 3188. Hmm..... Maybe I'll try Tales of Pirates today.....and then fallout 1&2, then maybe diabloII. I sure hope something works.....

I think it's just great!

works really good on my hackintosh.

The only thing that kept me from deleting my windoze partition where programs like inventor and autocad; so I guess I can finaly go ahead and get rid of windows for once and for all. the only problem is that 3ds max ain't really working :s

I hope it won't be long until it does :P

Is there something I have to do to install Parallels Desktop? The installer says my system does not match the requirements. After digging a little into the installer, it does a check to verify that your processor is "GenuineIntel" which basically means you can't install Parallels Desktop 3 with an AMD chip. Anyone know of a way to spoof the installer into thinking it's a "GenuineIntel" chip?

I'm new to parallels and just tried this one but I couldn't find how to fast-switch from one OS to another as I've seen it done in many

videos.

ALso I thought this version of Parallels was able to access the graphics card directly? I installed Vista on a 20" iMac and it wasn't even able to the MS Chess program using it's 3d graphics.

Finally how much memory ideally should you allocate the virtual OS out of 1GB.

Thanks guys. :dev:

I'm new to parallels and just tried this one but I couldn't find how to fast-switch from one OS to another as I've seen it done in many
videos.

ALso I thought this version of Parallels was able to access the graphics card directly? I installed Vista on a 20" iMac and it wasn't even able to the MS Chess program using it's 3d graphics.

Thanks guys. :hysterical:

I got fast OS switching to work by isntalling Virtue Desktop and running three VMs in full screen mode (one on each desktop) then switching between desktops as opposed to switching between OS's.

Parallels does support Direct X as of version 3, but you have to enable it in VM Configuration under Graphics (its a check box).

Depends on the OS, for XP/Server 2003 I've found 348Mb to be a good amount, and more and OS X slow down, and less and the VM slows down. For Ubuntu I allocate 256mb and it runs just fine.

Vista needed 512 which slowed OS X down to sludge.

2GB in the host is ideal, with 1GB to the VM, or 512mb each to two concurrent VMs.

What is it with Parallels and these bogus numerical release versions? This is not an X release upgrade, it should be a build revision, a x.x.x or x.x revision at the most. Hell, this software is still really not out of beta IMO. Still nice though, Paralells has made a lot of progress, although VMware fusion will kill it when it gets released publically.

I got fast OS switching to work by isntalling Virtue Desktop and running three VMs in full screen mode (one on each desktop) then switching between desktops as opposed to switching between OS's.

Parallels does support Direct X as of version 3, but you have to enable it in VM Configuration under Graphics (its a check box).

Depends on the OS, for XP/Server 2003 I've found 348Mb to be a good amount, and more and OS X slow down, and less and the VM slows down. For Ubuntu I allocate 256mb and it runs just fine.

Vista needed 512 which slowed OS X down to sludge.

2GB in the host is ideal, with 1GB to the VM, or 512mb each to two concurrent VMs.

Thanks dude but I've already given virtue desktop a go. And anyway I was looking to seitch between OS's. Not virtual desktops. But thanks for the memory info. I'll give it a shot.

So anyone know how you can fast switch like on the youtube video (there are loads) I provided on my previous post? I assumed there was a shortcut but the only shot cuts I could find were for full screen and the conver...smt thing where OS X dock and Windows task bar share the same screen.

videos.

Thanks guys. :)

Well, i'm using desktop manager for switching between my OSX and windows xp (parallels 3.0), and the fun part is, i can switch just with moving my mouse cursor to my desktop edge.... :thumbsup_anim: