What DON'T you do in OS X?

78 posts in this topic

What dont I do in OS X?

CounterStrike, Need For Speed Carbon, get viruses, worry about security, and autocad.

I know CS is supposed to run under crossover, but it sucks. Need For Speed Carbon is a minor loss, I just play on my PS2. Viruses and Security, that self explanitory. And AutoCAD? Well Ive gotten 2000 running under crossover, but it cant read my 2007 files, and Vectorworks and TurboCAD just dont compare. If only it was ported...

I have to use a presentation software Mediashout 3 for my church because there is no decent presentation software in Mac OS X that is equivalent to Mediashout

I never knew there was presentation software that was just built for ministry (I'm on their website). The system requirements are super steep, though, so it makes me wonder just what this software is exactly being used for.

I'm betting Keynote can *probably* fit the bill here, but (as you've pointed out) there will be some features that just aren't in Keynote that are in Mediashout.

What dont I do in OS X?

CounterStrike, Need For Speed Carbon, get viruses, worry about security, and autocad.

I know CS is supposed to run under crossover, but it sucks. Need For Speed Carbon is a minor loss, I just play on my PS2. Viruses and Security, that self explanitory. And AutoCAD? Well Ive gotten 2000 running under crossover, but it cant read my 2007 files, and Vectorworks and TurboCAD just dont compare. If only it was ported...

theres a thread on how to run carbon on OS X here :)

I have a Hauppauge TV tuner card with the 881 chipset

Nomad jukebox Zen ( mac application not as good wont work i tunes)

Phone Flashing ( not a biggie )

Pocket PC Intergration ( compaq iPAQ )

So Windows is needed for these

Gaming - it's basically the only thing i do with my windows box these days. Although I also keep it because almost everybody around me uses windows so there might be compatability issues when working on projects.

Other then that, it's OS X all the way

Well at the moment, I do everything in windows (sold my ibook). But even when I had my ibook I still did everything in windows simply because my pc was so much faster (x2 4200 2gig). Although I really liked macos.

So now I will upgrade my pc to a compatible motherboard and a core 2 duo, and see how a hackintosh works. If it works flawlessly I will probably do everything in os x, except for games and poker (the poker database progs don't work with os x). So I will spend all my non poker time in os x, and all the time playing poker in windows :P.

• 2 weeks later...
i dont do anything in osx =D

Its pretty much the same for me atm. If I had an intel based Mac Id probably do simple stuff in it, but Id still end up in Windows 60% of the time. I mainly use my Mac for torrents/seeding/downloading stuff cause its a mini and is so quiet so it can be left on overnight with no hassles. Oh and the mini doesnt make my room like 4 degrees hotter.

Visual C# is the only thing that's keeping me on windows. I can compile and run any application I write in it (as long as I don't use windows.forms) on Mac OS X, but I just can't do without all the features it has; autocomplete, intellisense, structuralizing your project and the assemblies you use.

MS is porting .Net to the mac... Here's hoping they release visual studio for it too (:P not bloody likely)

There's nothing I don't do in Mac OS X.

All the software I need is on this platform, and it's the same one used by my University department. I'm a coder with morals, so like the antithesis of Steve Ballmers Children ("You don't use google and you don't have an iPod.") I don't use .NET, and I don't have Visual Studio. (Which is pretty much required to do .NET [C#, VB#, J# etc.])

All my limited coding is as multiplatform as I can make it, in Java or in C(1 + "+" + "++"). (Unless I'm working on ancient platforms, on which I find BASIC is actually a fairly widespread standard.)

.NET on Mac is a VERY BAD THING.

Yes, it allows <Language># code to run on the Apple platform, but it's essentially designed as a kill-switch for the Apple computer. Think about it this way: .NET is released for Mac, so developers stop using TRUE multiplatform languages and use .NET instead. 3 Years down the line, IE style, Microsoft stop releasing .NET/mac. Suddenly developers are left with a platform that they don't know how to code for, so they either have to relearn programming, or switch to using Windows.

Yes, that's a cynical way of looking at it. It's also probably quite accurate.

Do you have OS X at all anywhere? :whistle:

naw, i deleted that ages ago! :thumbsup_anim:

i really cant seem to find any use for any os other than windows (i tested tons.... but they dont last that long) because i do allmost everything in wiindows ether way, so why not just adapt that 1% into windows and stop waisting 10+gb of diskspace? (ive tried to hardcore switch to opensource, and i do <3 bsd, but reallly.... it doesnt last because i can do it all in windows..... and idc that its "the big evil coperation" or whatever ahhaha)

but long story short, nope i dont ;) ya caught me :whistle: