Apple Releases Macbook Refresh

51 posts in this topic

I was hoping for a graphics update perhaps to the x3000 as some sites have been suggesting. otherwise not too impressed with the update but it's always nice to see better hardware for a lower price, can't complain about that especially with the education discount dropping the base model down to $999!

Alex Oughton, maybe you should state what specs the previous models were in the first post so that it's easier to compare and see the difference.

I know we're all mac fans here but not everyone remembers the specs, although I did :)

was it just me or did anyone else see the $109 macbooks in the refurb section?

White Macbook. 2.0Ghz, 120 GB HD, 1GB RAM...

totally sweet. i had 1 in my cart and the store crashed, so i thought it was a mistake. i checked again later, and it was still there. so i put another one in the cart and then got greedy and put two more in the cart and went to checkout. byt the time i checked out it said it was out of stock.

maybe it was a gift from steve to us, or maybe it was a typo that never existed in reality. but it definately got me pumped up.

was i dreaming or did anyone else see this?

As I see it, the only real question is whether you need a DVDR or not.. the base model is fine for everything apart from that. an external is cheaper than the difference in price between the base & intermediate, as is buying an internal & fitting it yourself, although this would void the warranty.

:)

As I see it, the only real question is whether you need a DVDR or not.. the base model is fine for everything apart from that. an external is cheaper than the difference in price between the base & intermediate, as is buying an internal & fitting it yourself, although this would void the warranty.

:2cents:

But remember it's just not the DVDR. It's also the extra processor speed. So the difference in price between the base and the middle needs to be divided between them somehow.

Also one reason I'm never too keen on getting a refurb notebook is because the battery would be partially used up from whatever it was doing previously. So if it was a display model in the Apple Store or a return and they are giving you the same battery then you're looking at maybe <80% of it's lifespan left and that really can hit you hard if it means your 3 years of good use come down to 2 years. And to get a replacement can cost you half of what you saved. Just not worth it. The refurb desktops and everything else (maybe not a iPod for the same reason) would be fine. But I just have to think about the battery overtime I hear refurb.

I love the new update. Almost like havin a MBP. Almost is the keyword.

Better Ram, HD drive update, Upgraded CPU= Love

i dun understand why people are bitchin, same price better specs :)

-MacX

Can someone please tell me why there is a complete lack of news coming out ot Insanely Mac? Ever since the new owners have taken over there isn't anything here. Lately it's been a complete waste of time to even show up here. There is very little news and what news you do get is several days old. Any chance you guys could sell it back to the previous owners? I really hope this isn't becuase your wasting your time revamping the look of the site? That would really make you a bunch of dopes. Someone please send me word when the site has been sold again.

I love the new update. Almost like havin a MBP. Almost is the keyword.

Better Ram, HD drive update, Upgraded CPU= Love

This is soooo not almosty like having a MBP. Still miles from it. Apart from teh clear screen size and the major element that always differentiated the two types still devides them al boldly as ever. The graphics card.

Can someone please tell me why there is a complete lack of news coming out ot Insanely Mac? Ever since the new owners have taken over there isn't anything here. Lately it's been a complete waste of time to even show up here. There is very little news and what news you do get is several days old. Any chance you guys could sell it back to the previous owners? I really hope this isn't becuase your wasting your time revamping the look of the site? That would really make you a bunch of dopes. Someone please send me word when the site has been sold again.

I never really came to this to read the news. To be honest I only started reading it like 6months ago. And that’s more than 6 months in being a member. And I wouldn't really say it's "a complete waste of time to even show up" but I have to agree the rate and quality of news from the site has gone down dramatically and also the number of posts in general it seems. It doesn't help that a few News Team Staff members have left but Sabr it seems has started the first steps on correcting this. So Sabr, Thank you.

But I do think the admins need to show their face a little more like Swad used to (and btw he hasn't been active since the 4th).

It does seem that the ol' argument of expensive Macs has come tumbling down, atleast for the MacBooks that is :)

I just wish that Apple would launch a customisable Mac tower, and not one as expensive as the Mac Pro :D You know, something like the iMac, minus the screen and in a tower :(

Hi everyone,

As you certainly can tell, I'm new here. I have been following this forum for quite a while now (several months). Spending time reading posts and having apple-friends, I have evolved from a fanatic Windows fan to... well, the fact that I am bying a refurbished Macbook (2,16Ghz, 2Gb ram) june 29th says enough, doesn't it? I was going to wait until the Leopard-launch before purchasing, but the recent update turned things around for me (or maybe I'm just not that patient as I thought, but then again, what's the price for upgrading compared to a summer filled with Macbook fun...)

A good friend of mine said: "Even considering to buy a Macbook is enough reason to do so", and I think there's a lot of wisdom gathered in that sentence. I guess you guys can imagine how long this last month filled with anticipation is going to be for me.

Why am I really here? I would like to thank all of you. This was by far the best place for me to form an opinion about Apple and read some feedback on the newest developments. I will surely stay active on this forum once my exams are out of the way and I have my new shiny Macbook sitting on my desk...

Greetings!

Welcome to the community Zenzic and congratulations on your buy. Just remember to not pick up the MacBook by the screen and never open/close it by the corners or edges or your LCD may crack. Do it only from the middle of the screen.

Oh yeah, and good luck for your exams! :thumbsup_anim:

hecker