Vista  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Did you purchase Vista?

• Yes, online
    • Yes, in a store
    • Yes, it came with my PC
    • No

72 posts in this topic

I kinda sorta "bought" it. It came with my laptop (an HP something or 'nother - can' t recall the model number off the top of my head). Just the regular Home Basic version as I didn't want any features from Aero or the like.

Personally, it's just another Windows to me. No more nor less. I've noticed a few things that didn't work right (the World of Warcraft launcher didn't work right though the game did, and I had trouble installing PostgreSQL when I first got it), but overall it works ok. I don't really use that computer a whole lot (just when I want to watch TV and web surf I use the laptop on the couch with my wireless).

Truthfully, I don't find a lot technically wrong with Windows these days. It used to be different, but the modern Windows systems I find more aggravating on a "political" (ie, what is my computer intentionally keeping me from doing) level rather than a technical one. It's also not as aesthetically pleasing as a Mac (or even a good Linux setup), but that is just an opinion and still doesn't really affect how capable the OS is.

Eh, I was a Windows Vista Beta Tester, so I got Ultimate for free and have that installed and activated on my PC. I also got Business Edition threw that Power Together offer and I currently don't have that installed anywhere. If I have to use Windows, I'd much rather use Windows Vista than any other version.

I've had great luck with Vista. I've installed it on all 4 machines I have without a hitch. I love the new UI. I don't understand why people say OS X is so much sleeker or better. If anything I prefer Vista over OS X. XP I like, but it's kinda ugly (though that is easily changed, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Blue try the royale, zune, or royale remixed theme).

I did install a virus on my XP laptop (there is no Alcohol 120% v. 2.0, btw!). I figured screw it, I'll try Vista and lose some documents. To my pleasant surprise: it eradicated the virus and kept the My Documents folder. When ordering some memory for a desktop (performance not necessity), I saw Vista Home Primo OEM for only $111 (I did find it funny when Jobs said $129 for Leopard*), so I bought it.

*Yeah buddy. But you have to have a Mac to run that (legally) nullifying the 'savings'.

• 3 weeks later...

i see every1 hates vista, but you have to remember that when xp came out, almost nothing worked with it and it was terrible until sp1 came out, its the same with vista.

hardware will come cheaper and everyone will have computers that are able to use vista properly. As for the problem with UAC, this is a simple issue of programs not being built for vista, meaning that there are strict rules for programs under vista and programs need to adhere to them, once this happens the only time you will get the UAC is when you install a new program and only then.

I got vista free becasue I have a full msdn subscription through work, I have tried osx and like the interface but one thing that is better on the pc side is ability for new hardware which you just cannot have in osx.

• 3 weeks later...

When shopping for a PC laptop it was acatually a lot cheaper and easier to get one with Vista than with XP...

As with some of you I got it pre-installed. I'm gonna bear with it for 2 or 3 weeks and If I can't get the programs I want working, I'm 'downgrading' to XP. (which if I do I lose my copy of Vista since they don't even give you a backup disc).

But it does look nice (it reminds me a little of OSX)

• 2 weeks later...

Home Premium came with my refurbished Dell M1210 laptop. I use Vista alongside OSx86, and Kubuntu.

I don't "hate" Vista, but I guess what bothers me most is UAC, and it just "feels" like my system is using more resources. I'm always looking at system monitors on my OSes, and I think that Vista's superfetch feature keeps the hard drive running too much, and I find readyboost to be pretty much a joke.

I don't think I'll ever eliminate Vista totally, because I think Office 2007 is very impressive, and there are just a few apps that I can't find a linux or OS X alternative for.

I do actually prefer Vista on a couple of my older Laptops. I use it on my Dell 700m because my little sister uses it, and versus Ubuntu, it's just easier on the battery life, and suspend/hibernation. I also prefer Vista over Ubuntu on a Sager 4780, which is a 17" desktop replacement with a 2.8 P4, and 1gig of memory. What's weird is that Vista just seems to run better on it vs linux. I think part of the issue is the bad drivers for the ATI mobility radeon 9600 on linux.

On my main desktop I run OSx86 and Vista, and 98% of the time I'm using OS X. I like the polish of OS X vs Kubuntu, and I just prefer OS X vs Vista.

Maybe someday I'll get either a black Macbook, or a Macbook Pro (possibly when Leopard comes out). I can't see myself buying an iMac, because I like to tinker too much.

Well, those are my experiences for what it's worth

alf

I found it strange that people like OS X but hate Vista because of UAC (about the concept).

Thanks to UAC, now people even if administrator have to type password if a program needs to touch the system. And that's exactly like in OS X. And if windows programmers would update their software better, UAC would not be a "bother".

I have seen 2 softwares after an update for vista that didnt activate the UAC.

I think Microsoft is going in a good direction with Vista (thanks to OS X I suppose).But unfortunately it's still bugged.

• 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded Vista Release Candidate 1 from the MS website. It was supposed to expire in June 2007 but I...um...made a little "modification" so it never expires. I still never use Vista though. Used it for 2 days after install, never used it again. Its still good for backup when an OS fails though.

Just thought about this as a poll, who here as actually bought Vista. Any edition, I mean actually ordered online or went into a store or has a legal copy of it. I really can't see myself spending $399 for Ultimate (which is the only GOOD version) when my computer doesn't run it well enough to make it fulltime.

This isn't a topic about if your going to purchase Vista, as I'v seen those already.

I wanted to experience Vista in the first place out of curiosity. First I found it to be nice looking now I know how bad it is as an OS. It really sucks majorly. It bugs the system enormously. You need the best hardware for some normal speed and even that can be not enough. Even and a relatively old game like Halo 2 does not run properly on it. Paying for Vista Ultimate will give the feeling to be cheated out of your money.

All hail to the hackers who properly cracked it. :D

Vista is TERRIBLE when you buy it pre-installed. I'm on a Toshiba with a copy of Vista pre-installed, and its buggy as all hell.

Store bought copies, or better yet, stripped down versions of Vista run really, really nicely. It ran any game that I threw at it, but it dropped a few fps in comparison to XP.

So, everyday tasks, YAY (even though I'd use Tiger anyday over Vista for daily tasks), but pre-installed, manufacture's copies NAY.

Still waiting on Leopard...

I have to agree with CLiDE. ASUS's preinstalled Vista Business is terrible. I am part of the MSDN Academic Alliance, so I got to download Vista Business for free. After a reinstall of that clean version everything ran much nicer.

I also have Windows Vista Ultimate that I..err..acquired from the interwebs. It works nicely.

Oh yeah, and I bought 250 licenses of Vista Business for work. I hate having it there.

My current laptop came with Vista... I tried to eviscerate Vista and install XP on it, which it didn't take too kindly to (all kinds of IRQ routing issues resulting in an incredibly unresponsive, unstable system) and I've been running Ubuntu 7.10 on it since. That will all change when Apple release a machine with GMA X3100 graphics, of course :rolleyes:

Vista (even my vLite'd version) feels slower than XP on every machine I've tried it on bar my ub3r-gaming-rig, especially with hard drive thrashing search indexing switched on (ever notice that spotlight at least doesn't constantly try to wear a hole in the disk?) and, let's face it, that kind of machine plenty of spare cycles to waste on Vista's new DRM-intensive resource-hogging features...

And I still can't work out what's actually useful and new in it, other than a slightly less fugly user interface, which hogs resources. Oh. And DX10... But MS is only holding that back from XP users because otherwise there'd be absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade to DRM infested, bloated, user controlling rubbish.

Pre-installed copies are definitely not very good. Haven't tried store copies yet.

In any case, I'm not touching it until they release their first service pack.