InsanelyMac is for sale

Swad

149 posts in this topic

"Approximate monthly revenue: $1,500-$2,000"

Wow, i always thought around 800-1000 was what adsense would bring in on this site (donations probably account for about 15%, am I right?).

otherwise, Good luck with your masters program Swad.

Congratulations to Swad for his achievement - if he puts as much effort into his studies as he's put into this site, we'll be calling him Mr President in a few years' time. Hmm, that would be interesting, do you fancy repealing the DMCA, Swad? :hysterical:

The sale is an exciting and logical step for a site that has grown exponentially in the time we've been supporting our users. It is an opportunity for more growth, new ideas and fresh directions. Never fear, the staff won't let any of the good things slip away! (Incoming metaphor alert:) We nursed Swad's baby through its infancy to the verge of adulthood and we have far too much time and effort invested in our community to let anyone mess it up. Here's to the future!

-Sarah

Definatly an end to an era....

I've been here for a while, to be honest not added a h*ll of a lot, (a few alias's along the way, due to lost passwords). But still here...., and must say that you, Swad made this whole thing happen. It's been one h*ll of a great time.

All the best for the future dude.

When I logged in and saw "InsanelyMac for sale" my heart skipped a beat. I hope this site goes into good hands and I'd like to wish Swad good luck in the future.

Dragon

I have to say I'm nervous. Swad has been more than just a founder, he's been the soul and conscience that's steered us through many things. This site's openness and kindness comes mainly from the founder and his team. Replacing Swad with someone who will care about the site and more importantly about it's members is going to be tough.

I honestly do wish selling wasn't necessary. I would rather you came back in a year and for the time just hand responsibilities over to trusted members. And if it had to be sold then I really would rather it be sold to one of the Moderators. It's clear they all have great intentions regarding the site (otherwise they would not be a mod). Most of us can truly rely on them to take it forward.

But if you do sell than I want to say it was great being led by you :hysterical:

- AcePlayer

EDIT: Your custom member title area will say 'Founder. Formerly known as "Mash." Former owner.'

I honestly do wish selling wasn't necessary. I would rather you came back in a year and for the time just hand responsibilities over to trusted members. And if it had to be sold then I really would rather it be sold to one of the Moderators. It's clear they all have great intentions regarding the site (otherwise they would not be a mod). Most of us can truly rely on them to take it forward.

Thanks for your comments, AcePlayer - these are all valid concerns, and I wish the sale wasn't necessary as well. As I mentioned in the first post, the ideal situation would be for me to just give it over to a small group of 3 or 4 to administer. History, and personal experience, has taught me that triumvirates like that don't last very long.

I can promise you, though, that I'll give all diligence to finding someone who is like me in the important ways and better than me in the more important ways. :hysterical: Any changes that my successor will bring will only be improvements, not mistakes. I'll work my hardest to ensure that's the case.

When I logged in and saw "InsanelyMac for sale" my heart skipped a beat. I hope this site goes into good hands and I'd like to wish Swad good luck in the future.

Dragon

thats what happend to me too

Congratulations to Swad for his achievement - if he puts as much effort into his studies as he's put into this site, we'll be calling him Mr President in a few years' time. Hmm, that would be interesting, do you fancy repealing the DMCA, Swad? :hysterical:

The sale is an exciting and logical step for a site that has grown exponentially in the time we've been supporting our users. It is an opportunity for more growth, new ideas and fresh directions. Never fear, the staff won't let any of the good things slip away! (Incoming metaphor alert:) We nursed Swad's baby through its infancy to the verge of adulthood and we have far too much time and effort invested in our community to let anyone mess it up. Here's to the future!

-Sarah

this isn't exciting at all , anyway we'll see , if it's just a matter of making money it will be quickly boycotted by anyone that matters and it will quickly die and a new board will show up. Don't forget that isn't the moderator but people that post interesting stuff that really matters.

Thanks for your comments, AcePlayer - these are all valid concerns, and I wish the sale wasn't necessary as well. As I mentioned in the first post, the ideal situation would be for me to just give it over to a small group of 3 or 4 to administer. History, and personal experience, has taught me that triumvirates like that don't last very long.

I can promise you, though, that I'll give all diligence to finding someone who is like me in the important ways and better than me in the more important ways. :) Any changes that my successor will bring will only be improvements, not mistakes. I'll work my hardest to ensure that's the case.

Good luck to you , Swad, has been an honor to follow your lead; knowing your wisdom, I'm sure we are here for last. Good luck again and break a leg :hysterical:

I'd bid, but in order to find that kind of money I'd need to sell either my house or my flat.

Besides I am quite aware that I am not the ideal candidate: I know nothing about maintaining a website and English is not my mother tongue. For sure as an Administrator I'd try to be more fair than I have been as a user :hysterical:

if it's just a matter of making money it will be quickly boycotted by anyone that matters and it will quickly die and a new board will show up. Don't forget that isn't the moderator but people that post interesting stuff that really matters.

We'll I hope not but if it does go down hill, hope to see you all in the new place :hysterical:

You want $40.000 for mostly user created content? In europe we would shot you for such an idea. Sorry to say that but you don't deserve that money.

First, all the times I've been to Europe, I've never been under the impression that they shoot those who sell what they've purchased and grown. You'd have a lot of dead farmers if that were the case...

I'll be the first to admit that almost all of the content here is user generated (sans the News, of course). But I'm not making money on the backs of anyone who has posted here or the community writ large. I don't like to talk about the site in business terms, but I will for this post to help you see my point. This site was started to let people have a place to talk. That's it. There's always been a tacit agreement amongst members that if they liked it better somewhere else, or thought they could do better at running a forum, they were able to go elsewhere. It's a totally voluntary process.

As a result of the hours I've spent making sure the lights stayed on, that flamewars don't lead people to tear each other apart, and that we actually have a central place to discuss the things that are important to us - for all those hours, I think I'm entitled to receive money for the things I payed for initially. It's not greed - it's the way the world works. If you buy something, put blood, sweat, and tears into it (ok, only the middle one here), you're entitled to reap whatever rewards someone else is willing to give you for it.

Why not just keep it and have someone else help maintain? You will get sellers remorse.

Good question. I'll be honest - that's mostly what I've done over the past year. You'll notice that as school started last fall, my posts and availability dropped precipitously. That time has shown me that a community like this works best when there's one person in control - one person that's accountable and responsible for the rest. Help is obviously important (I couldn't have done it without everyone else!), but someone has to be able to say, as Harry Truman did, "The Buck Stops Here." I've seen the consequences of a relaxed style of management here, and it just doesn't work.

As for remorse... I'll still be around, remember? :)

You don't owe anybody anything, we owe you :)

I'm sorry to dampen the mood but it's clear from the auctions site that Swad gets a nice cut every month from ads.

So he does owe us (for the material and money we generate) and we owe him (for the place to do it all and his time).

It's a two way thing, just remember that. Let's not all start kneeling at once.

You want $40.000 for mostly user created content? In europe we would shot you for such an idea. Sorry to say that but you don't deserve that money.

Honestly, who else should be held accountable for what it has grown into?

At AcePlayer: C'mon, it's a community for a reason. Do you expect anybody to start handing out money to community members? I don't see any other way he could pay back what he "owes."

I have this crazy idea. To have this site going on in the best interest of the community. Why don't we all put up some bucks in donation and buy the right to the sites. Then we elected a governing body to do an administration work. There will be openly voted the people in the community and there will be a fixed terms for the admin team.

There will be an annual fund raising program to help keep fuel this community.

That's my 2 cents.

I may not own a mac, but, I've been lurking around here a lot ... just reading posts ... the new owner has a big ... Mac to fill!

I wish I could offer up a bid, but it's not possible.

Good luck with your Masters.

I'm sorry to dampen the mood but it's clear from the auctions site that Swad gets a nice cut every month from ads. So he does owe us (for the material and money we generate) and we owe him (for the place to do it all and his time).

It's a two way thing.

1. My cut isn't the whole Adsense amount. By the time you add server costs, taxes, payment for new site work, purchasing of other sites (twinmac.com and onmac.net), occasional staff bonuses, site promotions (like the occasional free iPod), etc... there's still some left, but it's revenue - costs. The bulk of the extra goes to things that indirectly benefit the site, like the purchase of a MacBook and iMac that allow me to actually try things out before I post about them. There's not enough money earned for that to be the main motivation for running this website. The reason I'm here - that I started it and have continued to love hanging out here - is because of the people and discussion, not the money.

2. You're exactly right. A forum like this is a symbiotic relationship - I keep the forum running for all of us to share the information, you all share enough information so that 1) this place doesn't get boring and 2) so that it makes generates enough ad revenue to cover costs and perhaps a little bit extra. When you think about it, that's how every community - city or forum - works in general.