InsanelyMac is for sale

Swad

149 posts in this topic

You all obviously had the freedom to go elsewhere but you chose this site becasue it was an excellent resource.

hahah, i did it because my sata didnt work and i kept posting because i could awnser the stuff but more importantly i didnt want to be called "microsoft bob" anymore.... :rolleyes:

but emm..... idk, im not going to make a decision about this until i get back from canada.... so thatll be a while.

I haven't had time to read right through this, lunch breaks being short as they are, but it seems to me that the more money is talked about, the more interested Apple legal may become, even though ultimately this site has been responsible for a heck of a lot Mac and software sales, in the way that the XP to OS X skinning/themeing sites were. I hope the good folks at Apple HQ will keep that in mind. They should give you a university grant for that matter! :rolleyes:

I have to say that I am a little disappointed that all this talk has come down to just being about money. Personally, I don't have a problem with this site even making someone rich, as long as it doesn't negatively impact the site (read:community). If the revenue was, say, ad generated. If the site is able to stay up with ads, and then donations are accepted. I think we have some issues.

I am relatively new to this site, and I have enjoyed my time here. As long as this community continues to grow, and isn't negatively impacted by the sale, then it's all good. I suppose that's life people.

All the best to everyone involved, and hopefully we can all continue to come back here and enjoy the experience.

... any community, regardless of its function, requires a leader. That's the way human nature works - history has proven it time and time again. The best idea is community in which the people hold a leader accountable and the leader listens to the people.

Absolutely, Swad - I couldn't agree more.

I'm new here, but I'm not a stranger to either business or community. Here are some of my own opinions...

Money has a way of bringing out the worst in people, that's life, Alot of people understand the reality of it, a few don't, but I also am not them, and I don't know "everything" either.

75k...

I see it mainly as a "barrier to entry". It really is there to keep out the people who aren't very "serious". I have no doubt that there are people who inside feel that they have the zeal and commitment to take on the site, but the amount helps ensure that whoever does, really does have the "ability" to do so.

I also think 75k is cheap (businesswise), everyday people make investments and gambles with more money on things that have less crediblility.

The reason I think this is cheap is because of the overwelming amount of "goodwill" the site has, but the kicker is, as we all know... the community is the reason why the site has (any) substantial worth.

Mash says he'll take less, he says he'll only let the site go to someone willing to "carry the torch"... I'm glad to hear this and I'm not surprised by this either. Do you really think anyone likes to see their pride and joy get mishandled? Being a leader means making the hard choices, the choices that are correct but don't always please everyone.

So... what's going to happen? If I had a time machine I'd post a screenshot, but the real answer is that only time will tell.

The good news is that we do have a hand in the future of this site, because we are the community :)

Wow. I was quite surprised when I got the email. I see a huge problem though. A site with this many members will be worth tens of thousands of dollars. I heard someone say $40,000. Nevertheless, it will sell for a large amount. But you have to think, who's going to want to buy this site? Some generous person? Probably can't afford it. It will be some advertising tycoon who will want to take advantage of the members. This can't happen, or the site will crumble before your eyes. You can't really sell it to the highest seemingly responsible bidder. I know you could make a fortune selling the site, but I hope you care more about the members than the money.

I think the change should be a quiet behinds the seen switch. You will slowly hand powers over to the most responsible staff members, but you should always have control just in case something goes wrong.

The only people with the money to buy this site will be those interested in advertising. Soon the simple text ads will be replaced with obnoxious flash ads. Do any of you know what Osx-e is? The ads there can get really bad, to the point where you can't even navigate through the site without accidentally clicking on something. I don't want to see that happen to InsanelyMac. It's not a matter of figuring out who they buyer is. It's a matter of giving it to the people who you have trusted and have devoted there time to the site: your current staff.

Well, I received two bids at $75,000, and after a long discussion with one of the groups that bid, it's clear that they have the same vision for the site that we all do. I know that they're the ones who can take this forward.

I'll have more information for you in an hour or two.

Well, I received two bids at $75,000, and after a long discussion with one of the groups that bid, it's clear that they have the same vision for the site that we all do. I know that they're the ones who can take this forward.

I'll have more information for you in an hour or two.

Sweet!! Best of Luck!!

"university of chicago, where fun comes to die"

and that isn't made up folks

oh, i know all too well. atleast swad isnt a "lifer". (people who attend university of chicago pre school-graduate school)