JaS 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Only Combo Update

Schweppes

191 posts in this topic

I've read and read and read.

I've got 10.4.8 with PFF1 & PFF2 (Disk Util fix).

I've got the 10.4.9 combo pack

My problem: My system hangs at boot on the grey apple screen with the login problem many have. I know the 10.4.9 combo pack HAS the 10.4.4 login screen which is to fix this.

How do I get this into my already installed 10.4.8 - single user mode?

If not that, is there something I can apply to my 10.4.8 ISO so this is an option upon install (it is currently not an option)

I've been trying to get this to work for hours!

Having fritzed my ASUS P5VD2-MX setup with JAS 10.4.9 (never gets past the Darwin loading line; constantly reboots) I decided that before I install this on my Asrock setup I would try and image the hard drive to a new hard drive. Enough people in the past have told me it wouldn't work properly that I was put off, but I decided to give it a go with the most recent version of Acronis True Image 10. I selected manual and didn't let Acronis resize the partitions to compensate for the different size of the new Hard Drive that I wanted to image to (both drives are Sata). After about an hour my tri-boot system had copied perfectly to the new drive without any issues and I'm a very happy Easter bunny. It doesn't cost a lot, but it saves a lot!

I had to install a patch to fix SMB/CIFS to re-join my windows workgroup. Other than that, everything went smoothly

On:

Gigabyte GA-81945GZME-RH Pentium D 3.0ghz with a XFX GeForce 7600GT Dual-monitor setup.

Only change I noticed were that the processor now reads 3 Ghz as opposed to the previous 2.9Ghz.

Thanks for the patch!

About_this_Mac.tiff

For some reason I _can_ boot OSX from the 10.4.8 DVD if i give rd=disk0s1 at the boot prompt.

This is a fresh install of 10.4.8 PPF1+PPF2

This allowed me to get into the OS.

I then installed the 10.4.4 loginwindow fix - rebooted - still freezes at grey apple logo (gets past loginwindow in verbose mode - but not by much)

Booted back into the rd=disk0s1 mode and installed the 10.4.9 pack.

Now I'm completely hosed - it runs by a bunch of .ktext registrations or something on boot, and eventually gets hung up and reboots itself. It goes too fast to see what died.

Oh well. Maybe I'll just reinstall 10.4.8 and boot off the DVD to use it.

Asrock 915 GL :wallbash: it al works did have to get a new vid driver from diabolic for the gma 900 onboard card QE/CI got disebeld after the patch.

Asus P5W DH :hysterical: did like 20 reinstales tryed everything but the kitchen sink different kernels even the new ones 8.9.1 al the kext files, r2d3

it just will not work. it juse to just kernel panic after a few sec but after loads and load of tinkering i do now have a blue screen off death :(

it kernal panics at the blue screen, so im thinking im getting closer to the problem.

I installed JaS Combo update to 10.4.9 and it worked like a charm.

Then I decided to update to a newer 8.9.1 netkas kernel (26 March).

I followed the instructions from his website.

When I boot with -v (verbose), I get a long list of "duplicate extensions":

Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.Apple3Com3C90x" with older/same  version (1.4.0 -> 1.4.0).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.Apple_DEC21x4Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.3.2f1 -> 1.3.2f1).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.AppleBCM5701Ethernet" with older/same  version (2.1.0d21 -> 2.1.0d21).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleBMacEthernet" with older/same  version (1.3.0f1 -> 1.3.0f1).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleDP83816Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.1.0 -> 1.1.0).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.AppleGMACEthernet" with older/same  version (1.4.2f1 -> 1.4.2f1).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8254XEthernet" with older/same  version (1.1.2 -> 1.1.2).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleIntel8255x" with older/same  version (1.4 -> 1.4).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8139Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.2.0 -> 1.2.0).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.driver.AppleRTL8169Ethernet" with older/same  version (1.0.0d1 -> 1.0.0d1).
Skipping duplicate extension "com.apple.iokit.AppleYukon" with older/same  version (1.0.1b5 -> 1.0.1b5).

I deleted and rebuild kext-cache, repaired permissions, but that didn't change anything.

Where are these "duplicate extensions" located and how can I fix this?

Well it is included in Jas latest "JaS.10.4.9.combo.intel.sse3" release from demonoid.

It´s 10Mb in size.

Hi there. Only thing I found 10 MB in size was for AC HD controllers.

Not sure you will see this if not logged on.

EDIT.I dont think you can post that link, sorry.

But did not see a 10MB update though.

Just updated my Dell Dimension 5150 (Pentium D 2.8Ghz). Couldn't have been easier:

1. Downloaded lastest kernel and dsmos.kext from channel #1049 at irc.osx86.hu

2. Backed up current /mach_kernel and /System/Library/Extensions folder

3. Installed JaS 10.4.9 Combo Update

4. Replace kernel with one downloaded in step 1

5. Copy dsmos.kext to /System/Library/Extensions folder

6. Restore backed up AppleSMBios.kext to /System/Library/Extensions folder

7. Delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and /System/Library/Extensions.mkext files

8. Repair permissions

9. Reboot

That's it... I now have a fully working 10.4.9 system.

Thanks to JaS and everyone else that has dedicated their time and efforts to this awesome project.

is it valid for AMD users ?

i tried before the Tubgirl 10.4.9 TEST1 for AMD users. my cpu never booted osx again. so i had to reinstall 10.4.8 again, and now it's 100% working. (i don't wanna try to upgrade and format again... :thumbsup_anim: )

I want to share my updating experience to 10.4.9 with you ,for two reasons:

First I must say thanks to everyone who partecipates at this awesome exerience called osx86 , and in particular way to Jas for this awesome piece of art as always.

Second ,just staying close to this topic , the update to 4.9:

I updated with combo as others here , after I installed the 10.4.4 login , and the MIBshare patch then I reboot and everything works very well except the battery meter ,it doesn't show anymore on the bar the level , I mean it isn't recognised at all.

I had to change only the fsb frequency as mentioned above ; my ethernet (the infamous broadcom440X..) is back to work again.

Instead My Sitecom usb dongle wl113 wifi doesn work very well as before , the driver is loaded correct but the utility isn't able to connect any network..I don't know...

Last but not least , the regular SLEEP is back!!

Yes , I've been surprised as others , but it's true , with a little bit different mode than 10.4.7 , I can go sleep , and wake immediately after(very fast indeed) but I can't activate it with the closing lid.

I hope my report is helpful for someone.

Thanks again.

Could you explain how you made wake from sleep working? What about the "ittle bit different mode than 10.4.7"? For me the 10.4.9 update works fine except this feature (on an ASRock 945G DVI based machine w. a core2duo E 4300).

Could it have to do with what I read here:

scharli wrote:

Mousse-T, we use the same mb - does sleep work for you? Sleep works for me on the 40GB IDE drive (fresh install 10.4.8 then upgrade), but unfortunately not on the 320 SATA drive, which is my main system.

thanks in advance, pilsator

• 2 weeks later...

I updated Jas 10.4.7 installation with the 10.4.9 SSE3, Intel only, and it worked. Only minor problems I had:

-After I reboot, USB keyb and mouse were not working anymore, so I plugged in PS2 keyb and used a USB2PS/2 adapter for the mouse. Then I went to Apple site, and downloaded the IOUSB Intel driver with log, and installed it. USB keyb and mouse got re-connected, and they worked.

-Also the About Mac screen coused restart of the shell (Finder). I installed 10.4.4 login window and got rid of the problem. CPU frequency still not good, shows 3.8GHz (mine is 2.8G) - actually I don't care about this.

- System profiler show error after start, at top of first page, where CPU info should be. Could not get rid of it. Tried Colonel's patch. Didn't work.

- SB PCI 128 has crackles when playing back music. Intel HDA ALC882 has no volume control. I'm currently trying to fix this.

- 7600GT working perfectly (Diabolik 10.4.9 NVIDIA driver + NAtit Uni 1.0 + kext editing), got QE/CI, mirroring, rotation, res-change.

- Had to install Samba patch, since I was not able to browse windows machines on the network.They were able to see my shared stuff 'tough. Now working well also.

- Installed VLC player for DivX, Firefox&Thunderbird for internet, MS OFFICE for office stuff. They work great. I'm impressed with M$ office. QUite different to Windoz version!!!

The kernels in JaS 10.4.9 update didn't work for me (I know the fsb=200... etc). Until I downloaded the latest auto fsb, r3dr built in kernel from irc.osx86.ru #1049.

Even the splash effect which didn't work on 10.4.8 is now back.

The only incompatible kexts from updates are

IOATAFamily.kext (keep old version)

IONetworkingFamily.kext (keep old version)

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (remove completely)

Remember to delete r3d3.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from your Extensions directory, and also don't forget to edit the kext for your display card driver and alike. After you've replaced all kexts in Extensions from Extensions_disabled (except those incompatible), you must also replace OpenGL.framework with the new one in /System/Library/Disabled_Frameworks

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Will I get 1280x800 screen resolution on Dell Inspiron 6400 with ATI Mobility Radeon x1400? I've spent a week with 10.4.8 trying diferent patches to get natural resolution without any success.

Is there anything new in JaS 10.4.9 concerning ATI drivers?

Any additional advice would be great...

-Below that is: <string> </string>

-Add fsb=xxx between <string> </string>

ie: <string>fsb=200</string>

Silly question - but how do I find out what the FSB speed is?

I have D945GNTLKR mobo

something I saw in BIOS said CPU FSB = 800

but then I read somewhere that to get the true FSB speed you divide by 4 or something like that

Thanks

This is how i got the update to work

You will need this torrent and an up to date kernal from irc.osx86.hu #1049

Back up /mach_kernal

Back up /System/Library/Extensions

Install update

Install Login Window package

Replace AppleSMBios.kext in extensions folder with what has been updated

Replace kernal in / with what you got from irc.osx86.hu

Delete /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Delete /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

repair kexts permissions -

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

Reboot, Bah bah 10.4.9.....still testing it but seems good

CPU:C2D 1.86

Mobo: Intel D945GCL

Anyone figure out how to the OS X to recognize a Dual Processor after you update from Jas 10.4.8 > 10.4.9? Ive edited the fsb to the proper amount, but my dual core comes up as Core Solo in "About this Mac".

Cheers,

After

I updated Jas 10.4.7 installation with the 10.4.9 SSE3, Intel only, and it worked. Only minor problems I had:

-After I reboot, USB keyb and mouse were not working anymore, so I plugged in PS2 keyb and used a USB2PS/2 adapter for the mouse. Then I went to Apple site, and downloaded the IOUSB Intel driver with log, and installed it. USB keyb and mouse got re-connected, and they worked.

-Also the About Mac screen coused restart of the shell (Finder). I installed 10.4.4 login window and got rid of the problem. CPU frequency still not good, shows 3.8GHz (mine is 2.8G) - actually I don't care about this.

- System profiler show error after start, at top of first page, where CPU info should be. Could not get rid of it. Tried Colonel's patch. Didn't work.

- SB PCI 128 has crackles when playing back music. Intel HDA ALC882 has no volume control. I'm currently trying to fix this.

I am running Tubgirls 10.4.8 AMD Final on my Asrock 939 dual sata2 motherboard. I couldn't get my onboard sound working so I put in a SoundBlaster 128 pci that I had. Same thing. Works for a few minutes, then endless crackles. From the research I've done, no one has come up with a fix for it. What I did was buy a cheap USB 5.1 sound card off Ebay. It isn't listed as being Mac compatible, but it is. Here is the link to the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-5-1-CH-3D-Note...7QQcmdZViewItem

It works natively as a stereo (not 5.1 surround) USB Audio device. $6.50 to never have to worry about OSX86 sound card drivers? Worth every penny.

About that IOUSB from the site. Do mean one off the developer list?

I've looked a fair bit for a solution both here and at the mother site, sorry.

Just click on the dmg. to patch?

I just had good success updating .8 from .6 and thanks again all of you.

I must say that I LOVING PCLinuxOS as well- alot easier to install that this!

hi, i have succesfully update Jas 10.4.9... all goes smoothly :(

the first start take about two minutes and show me the forbidden logo.

i let's it continue and the finder comming... the second startup go fine.

the only think is that the system profiler say: CPU 1.8 ghz while the bios say 3ghz..

little overclock FSB 333 x 9.

i have not installed 10.4.4 loginwindow because about that mac work good.

and another question: why i see 2 files "mach_kernel" and"mach_kernel.nohpet" ? need them twice ?

Thank you Jas and all of nice people here :)