JaS 10.4.9 Intel SSE3 Only Combo Update

Schweppes

191 posts in this topic

็Hi all,

jus installed JaS 10.4.9 Combo and everything working fine But .... I found 1 problem

the eject button on keyboard doesn't work .... like it doesn't exit, when I press it nothing on the screen

But sure I can eject the tray by using eject button on the optical drive .... but not the button on my keyboard

Any advice ?

UPDATED : It's working now ... All I have to do is press a button a bit longer than before ... Shame for me -*-

Hi, I updated from an old JaS 10.4.8 intel sse3 only install to JaS 10.4.9 recently. Evertyhing went ok, first I had no samba so I installed the samba/afp fix provided with the Jas 10.4.9 package. Well, samba works now, but not too well. Download speeds from my ubuntu samba server are OK, but upload speed has dropped from almost full gigabit speeds to a ridiculous 0.5 - 1 MB/s. Anyone else had the same?

Hardware:

mobo Asrock 945G-dvi

nic D-link DGE-528T

I've tried JAS and pretty much all of the update methods but always get the same disappointing result. My computer gets to the "Loading DarwinX86" screen, starts to load, then automatically reboots prior to the gray apple screen.

Anyone else having this issue? I've tried all the BIOS setting I can think of...

Here's my setup:

Pentium D 820

Asus P5VD1-X

2.5 gb

Currently running 10.4.8 without any problems

Worked fine on my laptop, especially after setting the right fsb, but not on my main computer; I have the same processor as you and the P5VD2-MX motherboard, and the same problem as you. Will have a look in the bios when I get back. Before going off to work I put the Installer DVD in and got to Disk Utility and repaired permissions but that didn't do it. As one of those who is poking around in the dark with these projects, I need to either make a rescue DVD image of the hard drive with Acronis True Image 10, or else have a tester hard drive as others on this board sensibly have. Fun and games. If I have missed something, suggestions welcome! :thumbsup_anim:

:( Hi and Hello! am a newbee :P I have Install Mac OSX 10.4.8 on my dell Inspiron 8600 with everything work except AirPort, And I try to update Jas 10.4.9 on it with the windows logon, and I try with out windows lgon too, When I reboot my laptop, all I see is the Apple logo and the spining circle just spin away for ever, I let it spin there maybe about 1 hr, because I thought it might load up! But no luck Now I have to go back and restore the image back to the drive! Lucky I made my self a image!!! Is there any help for me to update!!! 10.4.9? :thumbsup_anim:

This Forum Rock!!! am leaning to use Mac OSX now!!!

Hey pals, anyone, PLEASE!!! Drop me torrent file with 10.4.9 JaS update. I have no demonoid account...

:) I just finished Download from there, you don't need account!!!! It too me like 30 minuts to down load it was fast!! :thumbsup_anim:

I have installed the update and everything works correctly except the sound. When playing a song, it makes a small distortion and after reproduces normaly.

The VLC is already broken because the sound gives jumps.

My audio device is Realtek ALC850 7.1 AC´97.

It´s posible reinstall sound?.

How to?

Thank you.

Mante

I regret to report that the JAS 10.4.9 does not work with my setup, even after a fresh install of his most recent 10.4.8 iso. It fails as soon as it tries to boot up, a reboot loop. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Meantime I have gone back to 10.4.8.

My spec is

Intel Pentium 820D 2.8

Asus P5VD2-MX (ChipsetVIA P4M890 VIA VT8237A) So, not Sata HD for me, alas; Sata works with Vista but only a few of the very latest Linux distros.

1 gig unbranded memory

Geforce PNY 7300

I have installed the update and everything works correctly except the sound. When playing a song, it makes a small distortion and after reproduces normaly.

The VLC is already broken because the sound gives jumps.

My audio device is Realtek ALC850 7.1 AC´97.

It´s posible reinstall sound?.

How to?

Thank you.

Mante

Did you have to set your "fsb speed"? Same here before i set up the right fsb-speed in the "com apple.boot.plist", pls. have a look for that here in the forum...

8-)

Tell if someone install this package and your experience!!!

I got a Presario C500 (c502us to be exact). After installing the Combo Update my audio started to stutter. Everything else seems to work except the built-in Broadcom4311 WiFi.

JaS,

Thank you! (not sure what we'd do without ya....)

Just performed the update and it went flawlessly as have all the upgrades I've performed using the JaS packages. Your instructions were straight forward and spot on. A tweak of the fsb in com.apple.Boot.plist and the CPU was back to singing along at an overclocked 3.6 GHz.

The MPIP103_10.4.9.SMB.CIFS.APF.FIX has given me back the ability to use Apple File Sharing, not essential as I'd employed NFS, but a bonus none-the-less.

Also, thanks to track09 for the nod toward ISOhunt.

Once gain, much appreciated!!!

I regret to report that the JAS 10.4.9 does not work with my setup, even after a fresh install of his most recent 10.4.8 iso. It fails as soon as it tries to boot up, a reboot loop. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Meantime I have gone back to 10.4.8.

My spec is

Intel Pentium 820D 2.8

Asus P5VD2-MX (ChipsetVIA P4M890 VIA VT8237A) So, not Sata HD for me, alas; Sata works with Vista but only a few of the very latest Linux distros.

1 gig unbranded memory

Geforce PNY 7300

If you have the above motherboard don't use the JAS installer. I have met three other people with the same motherboard who had the same result. Try one of the other ways. I am told the koolkal method works and will try that. Can I ask, what partition backing up software are people using? Is Acronis True Image 10 the only way to go?

Hi!

I installed the new JaS 10.4.9 update successfully (thanks man!).

Everything work ok, except for fsb detection, just because the JaS update doesn't include the latest version of the files from netkas, so I have some question:

- What's the kernel versions included in the JaS update, if he uses the old r3d3.kext maybe he is using not the latest fixed kernel from netkas.

- I try installing the new dsmos.kext, deleting r3d3.kext, repairing permissions, and deleting kextcache, but after that my macos doesn't restart, maybe I need to install the latest kernel from netkas to support dsmos.kext, isn't it?

Thanks in advance.

Bye!

Hey all, finally decided to take the dive into 1049 land. My specs are Dell 1505 laptop with Duo Core 1.66, 2GBs ram, STAC9200 audio, ATI X1400 256MB video, Dell 1500 wireless.

Anyways, the JaS combo update went fine, restarted without issue (i did set fsb correctly in com.apple.boot.plist before first boot). The system response was real slow :) , delays after clicking an item for the action to take effect. I had this same problem in 1048, but setting cpus=1 in the boot.plist rectified it. Also, in 1048, even if the cpus=1 was not set, the SysProfiler would only see 1 core. In 1049, it sees both cores (again without the cpus=1) and reports the speed correctly, but the pauses are unbearable. If i set cpus=1 at boot, then the system is responsive again. I've also played with and with fsb=166 at boot which makes no difference.

On another note, I cannot get my previously working wirless card to connect to my access point. I worked fine in 1048, but in 1049, i put in my SSID, WPA level and password and it fails. I've tried all the various versions of WPA in the Airport config utility to no avail.

One more wierd thing, before I noticed that performance was sluggish, i ran xbench. The first time xbench ran, i got negative scores in the CPU and thread area, but once it was all done, I sh*t you not, it reported an xbench score of over 4000. :) Must have been a fluke.

Anyways, any ideas what I should do short of a 1048 reinstall?

TIA

EDIT: when i set cpus=1 at boot, my wireless connects just fine. So, am I looking at going back to some of the older kexts? If so, which ones?

Try using the latest files (mach_kernel and dsmos.kext) from http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/ you will be able to find them on IRC.

Delete r3d3.kext from Extesions and copy dsmos.kext instead, delete kextcache and mkext, finally repair permisions using...

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

Then overwrite mach_kernel in root, you should be able to see it from Finder, simply drop and overwrite.

Reboot.

Hope it helps.

Hey all, finally decided to take the dive into 1049 land. My specs are Dell 1505 laptop with Duo Core 1.66, 2GBs ram, STAC9200 audio, ATI X1400 256MB video, Dell 1500 wireless.

Anyways, the JaS combo update went fine, restarted without issue (i did set fsb correctly in com.apple.boot.plist before first boot). The system response was real slow :whistle: , delays after clicking an item for the action to take effect. I had this same problem in 1048, but setting cpus=1 in the boot.plist rectified it. Also, in 1048, even if the cpus=1 was not set, the SysProfiler would only see 1 core. In 1049, it sees both cores (again without the cpus=1) and reports the speed correctly, but the pauses are unbearable. If i set cpus=1 at boot, then the system is responsive again. I've also played with and with fsb=166 at boot which makes no difference.

On another note, I cannot get my previously working wirless card to connect to my access point. I worked fine in 1048, but in 1049, i put in my SSID, WPA level and password and it fails. I've tried all the various versions of WPA in the Airport config utility to no avail.

One more wierd thing, before I noticed that performance was sluggish, i ran xbench. The first time xbench ran, i got negative scores in the CPU and thread area, but once it was all done, I sh*t you not, it reported an xbench score of over 4000. :angry2: Must have been a fluke.

Anyways, any ideas what I should do short of a 1048 reinstall?

TIA

EDIT: when i set cpus=1 at boot, my wireless connects just fine. So, am I looking at going back to some of the older kexts? If so, which ones?

Thanks for your input. i grabbed the msdos.kext and i foudn two netkas kernels, one from Marh 15, another from March 26. I did the steps below and replaced the march 15 kernel first. reboot just fine, issues still the same - no airport, poor response without cpus=1 at boot. so i replaced the kernel with the march 26th one and the system wont boot, kernel panic...something about netkas and semthex "Back in the USSR" message.

Time to reinstall...thats it for me. Once I have my box back up to where it was before, I'm not updating to 1049.

thanks again anyways :-)

Try using the latest files (mach_kernel and dsmos.kext) from http://netkas.freeflux.net/blog/ you will be able to find them on IRC.

Delete r3d3.kext from Extesions and copy dsmos.kext instead, delete kextcache and mkext, finally repair permisions using...

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions

Then overwrite mach_kernel in root, you should be able to see it from Finder, simply drop and overwrite.

Reboot.

Hope it helps.

Anyways, the JaS combo update went fine, restarted without issue (i did set fsb correctly in com.apple.boot.plist before first boot). The system response was real slow :( , delays after clicking an item for the action to take effect. I had this same problem in 1048, but setting cpus=1 in the boot.plist rectified it. Also, in 1048, even if the cpus=1 was not set, the SysProfiler would only see 1 core. In 1049, it sees both cores (again without the cpus=1) and reports the speed correctly, but the pauses are unbearable. If i set cpus=1 at boot, then the system is responsive again. I've also played with and with fsb=166 at boot which makes no difference.

Can you copy-paste your com.apple.boot.plist to see what you have?

I have 10.4.8 with just updated SSE3 packages and kext 10.4.4 Loginwindow. Nothing more nothing less but now I want to upgrade. I'm with 8.8.1 I think so there's a new kernel that I must install as 10.4.9 + older kexts but I'm sceptic about 10.4.9 :whistle:

Can you copy-paste your com.apple.boot.plist to see what you have?

I have 10.4.8 with just updated SSE3 packages and kext 10.4.4 Loginwindow. Nothing more nothing less but now I want to upgrade. I'm with 8.8.1 I think so there's a new kernel that I must install as 10.4.9 + older kexts but I'm sceptic about 10.4.9 :(

I've already wiped the box, but i can tell you it was a stock com.apple.boot.plist, with a couple of additions:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v cpus=1 fsb=166</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1400x1050x32</string>

Good luck!