[Discussion] Fit a PC in a G5 PowerMac Enclosure!

TribesMan

1,074 posts in this topic

I have to make on design change. The cables enter through the "power hole" at the bottom instead through the floor. This avoids to have visible cables on the floor, the cables don't have to bend and it' more accessible.

Only problem is that I can't do this with the DVI-Cable. The hole is too small. I don't want to cut it because it would damage the cables if i just make it bigger.

get a backplate with dvi to dvi that you can put on the original back plane, and then to the DVI. This avoids any cuts and it will look neat.

There is a example of this on one of these threads, I'll see if I can find it and link it here Here on post 356 page 18

by nervouschimp

There are more, but this should give the general idea

Groot

Could someone with experience modding the top shelf tell me whether the latches and/or latch mechanism for the side panel are part of the shelf or independent of the shelf (i.e. just part of the divider bar).

I'd like remove the shelf and replace it with a flat shelf. However, I don't want to remove it simply to find out the latch mechanism is incorporated into the shelf in a way that would require either an obscene amount of modding to keep them functional.

Thx

I'd like remove the shelf and replace it with a flat shelf. However, I don't want to remove it simply to find out the latch mechanism is incorporated into the shelf in a way that would require either an obscene amount of modding to keep them functional.

This might help you: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...4525&st=79#

I have the problem that HDD is vibrating. Is there any easy way to fix that?

Short answer Yes if you replace it with a SSD

But on the specific drive no, not easy. It should not vibrate if it is working correctly so I will suggest you replace it soon

Short answer Yes if you replace it with a SSD

But on the specific drive no, not easy. It should not vibrate if it is working correctly so I will suggest you replace it soon

Well I guess I'm very sensitive to it so I hear the least vibration from fans or HDDs. However I removed the HDD tray (not so easy without removing the separator) and inserted a tray that sits on rubber. No vibrations anymore. ;) I will soon enhance it by a SSD but I can't replace the traditional HDD because I need more space.

DVI: I think I will cut the cable and splice it back together. I don't want to cut anything on the case because it makes no sense. My next graphics will for sure have Displayport. I have some cables in spare if it doesn't work. ;)

Cooling: I have two 120 fans in the front, one for the graphics (passive) and one for the CPU (low rpm). Remember my motherboard is at the left side so the cool air points directly on the hottest parts of the system.

One 80 cools the HDD (in the middle at the top shelf) and two fans (120/80) take out the hot air from the PSU and the rest of the case. The PSU is not blowing out directly.

What do you think could I save the one 80 or even both fans in the back? My plan is the air that comes in has to go out anyway. I just have a 120 in the rear for the PSU. All Fans run @5V.

I had no vibrations from the g5 before it packed in, and I was using noisy old drives. I will reuse the same tray as it worked nicely. not sure if you use the original hdd tray

I had no vibrations from the g5 before it packed in, and I was using noisy old drives. I will reuse the same tray as it worked nicely. not sure if you use the original hdd tray

Yes, I used the original tray. Compared to now I heard much more rattling noise and a constant vibration. The disk isn't damaged it's just a server model. However this disk is only temporarily. The original cage had another bad effect: the cooling was much worse. I think all the plastic is just a good insulator and it also blocks the air flow. It's about 6° C cooler now.

Interesting is because I removed the two fans at the top I could lower the CPU temperature by 3° C. I guess it's because hot air flows to the top shelf. (the fans didn't work properly - were too loud @5V)

Overall the temperatures in this case are fantastic.

EDIT:

I managed to fit the DVI cable through the hole for the power connector. I just removed the plastic from the plug and removed the metal bezel. It fits perfectly and it is almost no effort to do it. Now all my cables enter through this hole at the bottom, the back is vanilla clean and the cables are easy to hide.

• 1 month later...

Here's my G5 mod. I tried to keep it looking as stock as possible. I rewired all the fans to run off 5V, although I ended up not using the HDD fans because of clearance issues. Everything on the front panel works except for audio, which I can't seem to figure out. This case actually is holding a full length ATX motherboard, but I don't use the last three slots.

Specs:

Phenom II X3 710

Gigabyte GA MA770-UD3

GeForce 9800GTX+

Geforce 8500gt

4 Gb DDR2 667

CoolIt E.C.O.

320 + 500 Gb HDD's

p4080813.jpg

p4080812.jpg

p4080819.jpg

p4080820.jpg

p4080821.jpg

p4080823.jpg

p4080824.jpg

p4080825.jpg

p4080826.jpg

p4080827.jpg

Everything on the front panel works except for audio, which I can't seem to figure out.

Very clean!

Did you hook the audio wires to your F_AUDIO slot on the mobo?

If you are and still not working it could also be a software setting. If you're running windows you can try and check this box: "Disable front panel jack detection" in your audio manager settings. It worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got a LianLi motherboard tray. FINALLY!!!

kustompcs.co.uk have 2 left in stock. I can't wait for the end of term so I can finally do my rear mod properly. 10 months after I started haha.

Also, anyone know if a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will be able to cut the case, or does it have to be a rotary type (dremel esque) cutter to have proper success?

kustompcs.co.uk have 2 left in stock. I can't wait for the end of term so I can finally do my rear mod properly. 10 months after I started haha.

Also, anyone know if a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade will be able to cut the case, or does it have to be a rotary type (dremel esque) cutter to have proper success?

Yeah a little jigsaw will work fine, that's what I used to cut the back out and my PSU mod.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255820

Funny but there were 6 a week ago and I bought one of them too... :D

• 4 weeks later...
G'day,

I'm searching for the G5 Logic board back I/O pinout. I read through all of the G5 modding threads available and was unable to locate this information. It was posted here around page 34-37 or so, but all of the images have since been moved/no longer exist.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mp;#entry977693

G5-back-2.jpg

Could anyone else provide me with this resource? It would certainly assist my project in coming along more smoothly.

Thanks!

Did you ever find the pin out? I'm looking for this as well.

I'm currently working on my G5 mod and ran into another problem I want to reuse the original sata power cable however there only seem to be 4 cables on the G5 sata power while a normal have 5 so I don't know which cable should connect to which cable on the ATX PSU and which cable I'm supposed to skip.

I soldered at needle to my multimeter tip and made the measurements myself. So for anyone who might need I decided to put the "pinout" here.

I'm calling the cable closest to sata power pin 1 for #1 and going up to right.

#  Color code	  Description
#1 Black		   GND for sata power pin 4, 5, 6
#2 Red			 +5VDC
#3 Black		   GND sata power pin 10, 11 ,12
#4 Yellow		  +12VDC

It's the orange +3.3VDC that's "missing".

I hope this is helpful for someone.

I'm currently working on my G5 mod and ran into another problem I want to reuse the original sata power cable however there only seem to be 4 cables on the G5 sata power while a normal have 5 so I don't know which cable should connect to which cable on the ATX PSU and which cable I'm supposed to skip.

I soldered at needle to my multimeter tip and made the measurements myself. So for anyone who might need I decided to put the "pinout" here.

I'm calling the cable closest to sata power pin 1 for #1 and going up to right.

#  Color code	  Description
#1 Black		   GND for sata power pin 4, 5, 6
#2 Red			 +5VDC
#3 Black		   GND sata power pin 10, 11 ,12
#4 Yellow		  +12VDC

It's the orange +3.3VDC that's "missing".

I hope this is helpful for someone.

Ive definitely seen someone use them. Might have been over at tonymac, ut I am sure. Keep looking, I am sure you will find what you need!