HowTo - SSE3 Kernel with Sleep + SpeedStep

Prasys

323 posts in this topic

I started a discussion thread for the no wake from sleep problem: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44283

I will outline my findings there. Sounds like you may be on to something...

As for hibernate, this is something i've been wondering too...

http://andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/1...sleep-your-mac/

If you search that page for the word 'hackintosh' you see someone reporting it working on his hack. :) might try this myself ;)

Here is some more info, but it's all for old fcode based PPC architecture

http://matt.ucc.asn.au/apple/machibernate.html#makeitwork

Regardless I tried it, as expected nvram is not there in the same way as ppc.

Last login: Sat Mar 10 02:37:26 on console

Welcome to Darwin!

Consolation:~ consolation$ sudo nvram nvramrc='"/" select-dev

> " msh" encode-string " has-safe-sleep" property

> unselect

> '

Password:

nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

Consolation:~ consolation$ sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=true

nvram: nvram is not supported on this system.

Consolation:~ consolation$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Consolation:~ consolation$ sudo reboot

It did create the sleep image in var/vm/

It does sleep the computer.

BUT-

system fans stay on,

all the usb devices are unwakeable,

system won't wake.

Regardless, I think that you are onto something with this munkey.

Edited by consolation

Ok, my issue appears different from anyone elses.

Restart is fine on every kernel except for the Speedstep.

I can't shutdown on any kernel. Goes to my background image and sits there.

The system won't sleep. It stops doing anything, and the screen goes black, but the system never actually goes into sleep mode.

About my "success" in waking up... it is not a deterministic thing at the moment...

the best that I am able to understand is a sort of dependancy by the fact to kill the SystemUIServer ...

but I am not able to reproduce it in a deterministic way... just sometimes...

Here My observations:

when I succeeded in waking I killed it together another process...

after that I sleep and wake up several times...

after the reboot ... I was not able to wake up again...

but after that I kill it I succeeded again... (but this was not true a third time.... :-( )

If I kill the process before sleep. it restarts immediately... so to test this methos I had to be able to connect the computer to a net and connect to it by ssh...

If I kill it during the waking freezed phase... it does not restart. the first graphical evidence of it is that several icons of the menubar (and the clock itself) does not appear...

It is possible however to start it explicitly (it is under /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer

If all fail... instead of rebot by ssh it is possible to kill the loginwindow process and this corresponds to make a signoff of the current user (and closing all its application...) and the login form appear immediately

I hope that this could be a starting point to understand better what block the waking up of the video

Talking about sleep and waking up..

I've closed my laptop lid when I went to sleep (so, the laptop goes into sleep mode), and when I woke up today, I was hopeless so I just opened my laptop and I was ready to shut it down, but I just pressed a key and the system woke up!

But if I close the laptop lid and open it up inmediately, video won't be up again, but the system is responsive.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400

Edited by Arcanis

hi, i'm here again to ask help.

i downloaded paulicat pkg, then APCICPU given by Kiko, replaced the one in startupitems, repaired permissions, put S1 or S3 mode in bios, but the pc don't go in stop, i hear a clack of the hard disk and mouse cursor disappear, as it will go in sleep, but the screen is always on with the desktop.

what is the procedure, if anyone have the patience to explain to me, i'm a newbie and apologize if my request is too simple.

I have the latest semthex kernel installed (the one in the signature must be updated).

Bye.

I installed the mpkg that paulikat listed on page 2. Now, when I sleep from the menu, and then wake, the desktop flashes for a second, then all i see is a black with my mousepointer.

I have a core 2 duo, on an Asus P5W DH mobo. Nvidia 7600gt video with natit.

Did anyone have troubles with bluetooth after the installations of Paulicat's kernel?

Mine has stopped working :thumbsup_anim:

Now I wanted to unistall to see if has anything to do with it this but I don't know how.

Besides, I still cannot wake from sleep and when I shutdown, it restarts, and when I restart, it shuts down :whistle: . That didn't bothers me much. What I need is bluetooth for the mouse.

Help, please, someone...

I'm sure if there is any news regarding SSE2 Sleep + SpeedStep support, you will hear it here, but it's definitely not a priority for most dev's these days.

You're better off spending a small amount of cash on eBay to upgrade to an SSE3 capable processor, it will save you a lot of trouble in the long run.

Edit: It would appear Semthex is already working on it :(

Its not that it isnt a priority, it just that paulicat is very busy, and hasnt had a chance to spread his source with the other devs. So just wait till he's not busy and then hopefully we will have a new sse2 out

I upgraded to 10.4.9 and now the sleep works (or at least I think...)

At the moment I didn't hack to have the current status battery on the menu bar So I don't know if this has some conseguences...

However it is very fast so I'm not sure about the effective sleep status.

In the log I have only:

System Sleep

System Wake

Is there some hope for the speedstep with the new kernel?

I'm using now:

8.9.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.1: Thu Mar 26 20:55:00 PST 2007; netkas: 792.18.15~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

I'm thinking about trying this... One thing though; my BIOS [ASUS P5P800-SE] has an option to repost video after S3 sleep... should I enable that option? Its been haunting me, giving me hope that itll somehow recover the video (just as I hope this fix will). I believe I read somewhere on this forum that posting the video after sleep was whats causing the issue...

I don't know what to do to make this work. I installed the package, restarted, and Mac OS stops on the blue desktop. I could move the mouse, but nothing else worked, and there was a lot of hard disk activity. Then, after a while, it hanged. I had to get back to my old kernel (the one here http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=40) and it started again...

I tried replacing the loginwindow.app and System.kext, but nothing worked. What am I doing wrong? I am using 10.4.9, with the older kernel.

Dear guys,

I recently came over this nice little page at fatwallet.com

I really appreciate when people do hard work, and certainly do not

like when their work is abused, like Paulicats work.... which I will now show you....

check this link...

kiko has done it again... and he cant even write a deasent C program....

Search for kiko on this page:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/709075/10364604#m10364604

also check this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry313230

Now, please support Paulicat and thank him for the work... it was not kiko that did this.

Kiko did no {censored}in fix... also check the nice comment in semthexs profile here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showuser=60299

I would really love it, if some of the admins told him to calm down, and behave.

How can this community let such comments stand in someones profile? Abusive behavior like

that should not even happen.

Semjaza.