HowTo - SSE3 Kernel with Sleep + SpeedStep

Prasys

323 posts in this topic

Dear guys,

I recently came over this nice little page at fatwallet.com

I really appreciate when people do hard work, and certainly do not

like when their work is abused, like Paulicats work.... which I will now show you....

check this link...

kiko has done it again... and he cant even write a deasent C program....

Search for kiko on this page:

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/709075/10364604#m10364604

also check this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry313230

Now, please support Paulicat and thank him for the work... it was not kiko that did this.

Kiko did no {censored}in fix... also check the nice comment in semthexs profile here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showuser=60299

I would really love it, if some of the admins told him to calm down, and behave.

How can this community let such comments stand in someones profile? Abusive behavior like

that should not even happen.

Semjaza.

:blink: What the hell? And then there was the time that his 10.4.9 updater didn't work :thumbsdown_anim:

kiko has done it again... and he cant even write a deasent C program....

Now, please support Paulicat and thank him for the work... it was not kiko that did this.

With all the respect to Paulicat for releasing the great kernel, I have to say Kiko did contribute fair a bit in this project AFAK

The first cputhrottle kext from paulicat doesn't work for me and kiko fixed it with his mod version.

And his code is still running in my system happily while I am typing this

so it is unfair to say kiko didn't do anything.

p.s. 1

Kiko's cputhrottle kext works quite well except it generate great amount of log in my system log, which I believe may consume my cpu power,

I really hope kiko can release a version suppress those log output

p.s. 2.

I don't know and don't care what happened between kiko and smeth, but it clearly bad to attact someone like that, kiko himself or Mod should definitely delete such a comment

I jsut got round to reading this lol, offall, i'll make a new kext with no debugging, and semjaza, go `fuc-k yourself. I never said i made the kernel, nor did i take any credit for making the kernel, first get ur frikking facts right jackass. i made a installer with paulicats kernel in it, and a modified kext in it. if you dont like it, go suck on smthxs balls

EDIT: woops, i shouldnt have said the last part, you already seem to be doing that

EDIT 2: and Xofverlis, who the {censored} are you, bad luck if my upater didnt work on your pc, if you actually read the readme, it says, "this may fck your pc up" simple. it worked on all my pc's. and most others. for those that it didnt work on, im sorry.

kiko, the sse2 speedstep kernel is out, go check the sources.... umm... ur current one doesnt work at all on this sse2 speedstep kernel...

once loaded, system goes sluggish... runs at correct fsb (533mhz) and runs at 1066mhz, or 800mhz...... sluggish like hell.....

i've got a sse3 proc, but no 10.4.8. i'll check tonight and post new throttle kext

can you post your sysctl output (syctl -a | grep freq)

And i better be careful, i might get a letter bomb for modifying open source code (stupid semjazza and xofverlis)

EDIT: Ok i got your dmesg and your sysctl, it seems to be working, but the sluggishness is a timing issue, i dont know what/if any changes semthex made to the timing, but it sounds like it isnt updating the system clock speed

the sluggishness is an old problem, was there already with the 8.6.1 kernel and nialls kext did not enable acpi powerstates below or equal 1 ghz in order to avoid the problem and he did not see any possibility to correct the bug.

rathalos, you seem to be using a kext with all powerstates enabled, try loading the acpicputhrottle kext based on acpi ( not direct drive! ) posted here by kiko a few pages ago which has the inappropriated powerstates disabled.

carterj, i tried all the kexts already.... all produce the same results of timing problem..... sluggish movements.... and slow clock, audio stuttering.... it seems to be a kernel problem.... seems to be missing rtc_clock() inside that resync the clock according to the cpu freq.....

now i have the semthex's sse2 beta kernel on my machine. How i can know if the speedstepping is working ok?

Last login: Mon Apr 16 16:36:16 on ttyp1

Welcome to Darwin!

JurelPc:~ jurel$ uname -a

Darwin JurelPc.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sun Apr 15 16:27:42 CEST 2007; semthex:/src/nn2_SSE2/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

JurelPc:~ jurel$

carterj, the sluggishnes sshouldnt be caused by power states below 1gHz Plauicat had 800mhz enabled on his core duo, and it worked fine, this seems to a be a issue of the clock not updating according to the throttled speed, if i recall this wasnt a issue in the sse3 kernel, so something must have changed, if you are able to turn off that auto-fsb detect {censored} in the kernel, try it then

hey guys..

basically i'm a noob and read through all this.. have almost everything working my install but sleep...

I have the jas 10.4.8 with ppf1/2

and the koolkal update to 10.4.9.. but i can't seem to find much info on the koolkal update :glare:

also i can't get sleep working on my update.. any ideas on what to do.. I'm not sure how to begin.

I have SSE3 working too.

dGV

carterj, the sluggishnes sshouldnt be caused by power states below 1gHz Plauicat had 800mhz enabled on his core duo, and it worked fine, this seems to a be a issue of the clock not updating according to the throttled speed, if i recall this wasnt a issue in the sse3 kernel, so something must have changed, if you are able to turn off that auto-fsb detect {censored} in the kernel, try it then

ok i was recalling the discussion with niall over the acpicputhrottle on 8.6.1 sse2 kernel, where this "not updating according to speeds under 1 ghz" was not fixable. maybe on sse3 cpu there never was that problem.

i downloaded the fixed acpicputhrottle.kext based on apci ( not direct drive, will try it now ) you posted in this thread and it had all the powerstates below 1 ghz disabled ( but works (more or less) on the new speedstep kernel), so i really have no experience with speeds below 1 ghz on the new 8.8.1 sse2 speedstep kernel. i think i still have an old acpi acpicputhrottle.kext with all states enabled, maybe that will work.

as soon as i get a frequency below 1 ghz we'll see if the problem is still there.

ok i loaded my old kext with all states enabled and it worked. not really so.

on manual switching with sysctl -w kern.cputhrottle_curfreq=xxx where xxx = 600,800,1000,1200,1700 the throttle will sometimes succeed and other times not.

the audio is scratchy whenever the kext is loaded and the playback speed of mp3 varies with the frequency... it is comically slow with 600 and normal at 1700, but the audio scratchiness recovers after a while on one frequency.

the speed of animations ( dock, minimizing etc ) varies with the clockspeed but the system never becomes so unbearably sluggish as others seem to experience...

regarding the auto-fsb detect to turn off, i don't know how :wacko:

10.4.9 kernel for SSE3, hpet with speedstep. Oh, and I changed code for wake from sleep, had to make an hpet call to wake properly. Now I can sleep it for hours and it wakes in about 5 seconds.

:lol:

Are the updated sources for this kernel available somewhere? I have the original patchset, but it would be great to see what improvements you made.

paulicat, actually i beat you :P look at this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=349271

and both me and you are stuck on the cpu thing lol my core 2 duo shows up as core 2 solo x-D. fix that tonight

kernel available on #kernel irc.moofspeak.net, NoHPET/HPET, NX disabled, auto-fsb, sleep working (for me), SSE3

Hi Guys,

Kudos for the attempts to get our laptops to sleep, I have an IBM X60T which has a 1.83 Core Duo. I have JaS 10.4.8 running with SSE3 and Power Bundles.

Got the sound working fine, and have a WG511T PC Card working until the onboard wireless drivers are fixed. So the only real pain I suffer now is the lack of sleep which to be honest I use all the time in Windows and on my 2 macs. (Just really want OSX on my Tablet).

Can someone recap for me if possible the steps I would need to take including ideas on where to get the files from on how to go from a standard install of JaS 10.4.8 from the DVD to the latest patched Kernel for SSE3 support.

I understand sleep is not working for everyone but am I right in thinking it is for some users?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am happy to get involved and post log files etc once I have the new bits I need installed.

Regards

Russ

Hi Guys,

Kudos for the attempts to get our laptops to sleep, I have an IBM X60T which has a 1.83 Core Duo. I have JaS 10.4.8 running with SSE3 and Power Bundles.

Got the sound working fine, and have a WG511T PC Card working until the onboard wireless drivers are fixed. So the only real pain I suffer now is the lack of sleep which to be honest I use all the time in Windows and on my 2 macs. (Just really want OSX on my Tablet).

Can someone recap for me if possible the steps I would need to take including ideas on where to get the files from on how to go from a standard install of JaS 10.4.8 from the DVD to the latest patched Kernel for SSE3 support.

I understand sleep is not working for everyone but am I right in thinking it is for some users?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am happy to get involved and post log files etc once I have the new bits I need installed.

Regards

Russ

In my case the sleep starts working after the update to the 10.4.9 version

Heh kiko, yup you got me, my bad :rolleyes:

If you get the cpu detection working, please pass the source over. I know it took me a while to hand my speedstep source over but you did get it right? :hysterical:

As for sse2 sources, I don't have them, and I can't say I care either, I don't have any sse2 to test against.

As for sleep Russ-ST24, give some details to your particular sleep problem.

I can say that sleep works 100% for me after the code change I added to this 10.4.9 kernel I just released.

Before, it wouldn't wake up from sleep properly, now, its back up in a matter of seconds.

Paulicat.