HowTo - SSE3 Kernel with Sleep + SpeedStep

Prasys

323 posts in this topic

Hi Paulicat,

Thanks for the reply, when I pick the Sleep option from the apple menu the machine sleeps quickly and appears to be sleeping fine.

When I wake it up I get the Lenovo logo as if I had never slept the laptop and it then appears on the screen.

"ERROR

0192: System Security - Embedded Security Hardware tamper detected."

I had a similar sleep issue without the message above with Ubuntu 6.10, this was fixed by going to 7.02 beta. (It would appear to sleep but wake up and boot clean)

Trying to get the 10.4.9 upgrade but dont have demonoid account. Once I get it I still need your modded kernel right?

Thanks again for the help.

Russ

Heh kiko, yup you got me, my bad :rolleyes:

If you get the cpu detection working, please pass the source over. I know it took me a while to hand my speedstep source over but you did get it right? :hysterical:

As for sse2 sources, I don't have them, and I can't say I care either, I don't have any sse2 to test against.

As for sleep Russ-ST24, give some details to your particular sleep problem.

I can say that sleep works 100% for me after the code change I added to this 10.4.9 kernel I just released.

Before, it wouldn't wake up from sleep properly, now, its back up in a matter of seconds.

Paulicat.

I will go and look for the guides now while I download the update.

Thanks

Russ

Sorry another question, The Kernel above sounds like the one I need. Once I have completed the 10.4.9 upgrade where exactly do I put this Kernel?

I am just building a clean 10.4.8 JaS install on a spare HD for my laptop so I can perform the upgrade in safetly before I try it on my live install.

Thanks

Russ

Hey paulicat,

Your kernel has done the impossible — my laptop (Core2/1gb/intel945) now awakes from sleep, however it has a few issues which I don't get with other kernels:

- Touchpad doesn't work after waking (keyboard is fine)

- Flaky USB support (it only seems to work with devices that were plugged in when the machine first booted). After waking, only one USB device seems to work?

- Displaying my CPU as Core 2 Solo (1 core)

Hi Paulicat,

Thanks for all the advice. I did the update using your 10.4.8 guide and it worked fine using your latest Kernel.

Still cant sleep? I used the speedstep.pkg that was posted in the thread and also then replaced the kext with the one later in the thread.

It took a lot longer this time to go to sleep but still the same when it woke up. Just booted BIOS then ERROR - Tampering etc.

I checked system log just before I left work and the throttler seems to show only one CPU0 and errors on CPU1? I will post the system logs tomorrow when I get back.

Also the system seemed unstable as everytime I shutdown it would Panic. Tested so quick I think the initial 10.4.9 upgrade was stable and the speedstep made it unstable.

Thanks again for all the help, will post more tomorrow.

Russ

Sorry guys, the random hardware issues are above my knowledge, these things all work on my laptop so I can't say much more than its hardware specific.

As for the core solo part, both Kiko and I have older patches which it would seem don't have good cpu detection :P

Rest assured, both cores are working, just not reporting as such.

Paulicat.

I am using NetKas kernel.

Kernel from NetKas on March 26, can sleep very quick, can wake up. However, usb mouse and keyboard need to be replug in for working.

Kernel from Netkas on April 19, can sleep, but can not wake up.

I am trying different, certainly, will try this one and let you know the result.

paulicat, actually i beat you :( look at this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=349271

and both me and you are stuck on the cpu thing lol my core 2 duo shows up as core 2 solo x-D. fix that tonight

kernel available on #kernel irc.moofspeak.net, NoHPET/HPET, NX disabled, auto-fsb, sleep working (for me), SSE3

Tired the one from IRC, it can sleep and can wake up, but USB devices do not work.

Patched loginwindow to show current cpu speed in About This Mac (I know you wanted this for a while Paulicat ;), so heres my gift to you)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wkkj2uqmyj

(this is the security update loginwindow, if that didnt work for you, this wont. Post that you neeed a 10.4.8 one and i'll make one)

(this has nothing to do with prasys or the hackint0sh irc network)

I don't find the link to download this patch to wake the laptop from sleep...

Running osx 10.4.8 from jas dvd, going to upgrade to 10.4.9 tonight...

Can anybody post the link in here?

Will the patch resolve also power managemnt issues? My laptop thinks it's always on battery also when the power cable is plugged in... (Lenovo 3000 N100... everything works fine except for audio, wifi, webcam and sleep, by now...)

thanks everybody!

davide

Thanks Kiko and Paulicat for your work. I have sleep working, only issue now is that I have to replug all my usb devices (mouse/keyboard). How may I go about helping you fix the issue, or fixing the issue myself?

I installed is OK, but second boot and launch "DCPUManager" system make crash. before installing, my system is 10.4.9 + koolkal kernel (may-11-07). I am a Chinese. I hope you can read it:)))

thanks everybody)))

Patched loginwindow to show current cpu speed in About This Mac (I know you wanted this for a while Paulicat :P , so heres my gift to you)

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wkkj2uqmyj

(this is the security update loginwindow, if that didnt work for you, this wont. Post that you neeed a 10.4.8 one and i'll make one)

(this has nothing to do with prasys or the hackint0sh irc network)

how do i install this its not a package?

• 3 weeks later...

The updated kernels (or something in the installer anyway) break ich8 support. Causes "device blocking bus" for my AHCI interface. The SSE3 kernels from the IRC site (osx86.hu) work fine though (still report the blocking, but they do it later in the boot sequence and they recover and work fine afterwards). Although sleep is a bit dubious. (Doesn't awaken).