HowTo - SSE3 Kernel with Sleep + SpeedStep

Prasys

323 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

i have been trying to resolve my issue now for over two weeks and everyone says you are my only hope....please advise if you can

i have an acer aspire 5050 AMD dual core with ATI 200m video

i have installed leopard 10.5.1 (10.5.2 did not work) - dual boot with vista

things i had to fix after install

audio

keyboard, trackpad

display resolution settings

power mangement

i fixed these with packages and kexts for "aspire 5051 fixes.zip" available on the internet

i beleive the 5050 and the 5051 are the same except maybe the 5051 has ATI x1100 video

all patches installed ok except the appleACPI (i got an install failed because of "/")

everything works now except SLEEP !!!!!!!!!!

i played with power mangement settings

before the calisto video drivers the laptop would freeze when sleep was attempted and i had to force reboot

after the video drivers i can change display resolution and now it goes into sleep BUT THE SCREEN REMAINS BLACK AFTER WAKE UP

is the problem a video issue, power management, ACPI, ???? kexts ???

sleep works fine when i boot vista so it is NOT a hardware issue

since it is a laptop the sleep feature is very important to me

how can i fix :(

• 1 month later...

I saw the link is still down on the first post... does that mean that this thing is done for? Is there another solution?

I can't wait to get my R61 in hand and try it out... thus far it seems like everything will work quite easily, I'm just very worried about sleep!

GM965 chipset, x3100, core2duo, atheros card... should be set.

Also, what is the biggest hangup in sleep? (No pun intended) Is it the chipset used? The combination of hardware? I don't quite understand what modifying all of these kexts do...?

I have a e6850 processor which supports speedstep. Is there any program on mac like CPU-Z on Windows that will tell me if speepstepping is working appropriately? Also to get it to work with Kalyway 10.5.2 do I need to install the steepstep kernel or does it come standard in the base kernel?

speedstep is for both, any processor that have speedstep.

The SpeedStep.app should tell you about the CPU Frequency (speed in cicles)

If there is no ACPICPUThrottle.kext installed the frequency is alwas at maximum.

System Profiler can tell you and also you can check the frequencies on terminal with "sysctl hw.cpufrequency", "sysctl hw.cpufrequency_max" and "sysctl hw.cpufrequency_min" as also bus frequency with "sysctl hw.cpufrequency", "sysctl hw.cpufrequency_max" and "sysctl hw.cpufrequency_min", or just "sysctl hw" for all hw values.

Hey thanks a lot MacGirl!

Would it be stupid to assume it would also work on 10.5.2? I don't know the specifics of how the kernel works or if kexts are added, but would it be an issue? Thanks a lot for linking to that! Is there a way to edit the first post to reflect this new link since this is a sticky?

I can't wait for my ThinkPad to get here to try it out!

Thanks a lot!

This is probably a very lazy question...but I was wondering since many people would want a sleep and speedstep in their kernel,

are there any prebuilt sleep+speedstep kernels out there for Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD..that I can just dl and replace my old kernel with?

• 2 weeks later...
I've just installed iATKOS 2.0 (10.5.2) and almost everything is working fine... now I'd like to know if there is a way to put my HP DV6663 notebook to sleep and still keep the SpeedStep function.

TIA.

I´m waiting for the exact same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

vanilla kernel and force lower speed ?

is there a F8 option to force lower speed ?

usually start with

vanilla fsb=166 and sleep works,...

and battery optimize option in bios, always reports full speed 2ghz core duo,...

it be nice , at lest, to be able to switch to lower speed, on battery,...

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I add the SMBIOS from your file, my system goes crazy (using ToH RC2). Usually I get a kernel panic, and then on rebooting the system (whether I use Safe Boot, or Diagnostic Boot or whatever it is, It will come to a blue screen with the mouse, but stops there. It doesnt really freeze, because I still can use the mouse, but the harddisk just kindove stops. Booting with dianostic messages shows many, many lines referring to the new SMBIOS from your pack, so I'm guessing its not compatable. :)

If you have any solution, let me know!

Hagie92

Pavilion DV1738

2GB memory

Intel Core Solo 1.8Ghz

CD/DVD...Working

Audio...Working partially

Intel Pro 100 enthernet...working

Battery meter...working

Sleep, Restart...NOT working

WIFI (intel 3945abg) NOT working

• 2 weeks later...
vanilla kernel and force lower speed ?

is there a F8 option to force lower speed ?

usually start with

vanilla fsb=166 and sleep works,...

and battery optimize option in bios, always reports full speed 2ghz core duo,...

it be nice , at lest, to be able to switch to lower speed, on battery,...

What do yuu mean with fsb=166 ?

Reporting the real fsb to system because your kernel didnt get this ?

I think changing fsb=XYZ will not change CPU Speed.

• 1 month later...

sorry guys to ask this, i have installed speedstep and i think it is working because it shows the frequency of my cpu and moves from 800 to 2500.

But i would like to know if there is a way to know if both cpus are working ?

Because i've tried to see the % with menumeters and it shows 2 percertages which should be normal. But i've tried menumeter on a Atom 270 which is not a dual core and it shows also 2 cores.

So can i check it with speedstep ? and how, thanks

It is probably written somewhere in the forum but it is wuite late here and i don't have the courage right now to check.

• 3 weeks later...
sorry guys to ask this, i have installed speedstep and i think it is working because it shows the frequency of my cpu and moves from 800 to 2500.

But i would like to know if there is a way to know if both cpus are working ?

Because i've tried to see the % with menumeters and it shows 2 percertages which should be normal. But i've tried menumeter on a Atom 270 which is not a dual core and it shows also 2 cores.

So can i check it with speedstep ? and how, thanks

It is probably written somewhere in the forum but it is wuite late here and i don't have the courage right now to check.

the atom 270 has hyperthreading turned on if you see 2 cores

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...