NTFS Read/Write Support Finally here!

175 posts in this topic

OK, so I had this working for about a day and then it stopped working and corrupted my Vista partion... and it also broken diskimage mounting. I've found several disk images that no longer mount (I used 1.516 and tools2.5)

I'm trying to uninstall it all, and I can't because my system doesn't have rmpkg... Where can I acquire this from, or is there another uninstall script?

I'm on an Intel MacBook Pro (brand new... so I'm kinda annoyed at the moment).

:thumbsup_anim:

Cheers

1.417 has the insufficient privileges error, which is fixable with a shell script that runs at startup that unmounts the ntfs-3g drive and remounts it with default_permissions

Hi bilditup I have exactly this problem with my new macbook pro .... I have the NTSF folder mounted on my desktop now but I'm told that I don't have sufficient privileges. Could you please provide some detail on the shell script you put together to reset the default privileges - please bear in mind a complete noob with regard to this sort of thing. This is the first time I've used the terminal :)

Thanks.

MacNugget -

I've been using terminal for a while, but this is the first time I ever tried to write a shell script. It's written for my computer only, but what it does is, it goes through several steps to dismount your drive, verify there's a folder for it, and then remount it. Everything in the script, obviously, can be achieved through terminal commands.

First, however, you have to copy ntfs-3g from /usr/local/bin to /bin (or sbin? I don't remember).

sudo cp /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /bin

Also, you need to give ntfs.command execution permissions; do that with the following code:

sudo -s
cd ../..
chmod u+rx ntfs.command

That was assuming that you put ntfs.command in the root directory, which I suggest that you do.

OK, now let's go through it line by line:

echo echo NTFS-3g QuickFix by eli b.
echo Enter password if prompted

That was just an introduction, edit this to wtvr you want it to say.

if sudo  umount /Volumes/"Windows XP"
then echo Volume Windows XP unmounted
fi

So the rest of the code is basically a bunch of if-then statements, which you've seen if you've done any programming at all. I come from a Java/C background, and not much of one for that matter. Instead of using curly braces , the '{' becomes 'then' and the '}' becomes fi.

Here, we're telling umount to unmount /Volumes/"Windows XP", if such a drive is mounted. Substitute the name of your NTFS drive in between the quotes on that line. The echo statement on the next line just prints us a confirmation for convenience sake; but it's not neccesary. Repeat this code fragment for all of your NTFS drives.

If this section fails for some reason, umount will display some kind of error message instead.

if cd /Volumes/"Windows XP"
then echo Volume folder for Windows XP found!
else sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Windows XP"
echo Volume folder for Windows XP created!
fi

Sometimes, there is no Volume folder for whatever drive you wanted to unmount. This usually happens if you manually dismount it before opening the shell script, or if the drive was never mounted at all. If this is the case, then this fragment makes the folder for you. Of course, substitute Windows XP for the name of your drive in all instances, and repeat this code fragment for all of your drives.

if sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/"Windows XP" -o default_permissions
then echo Volume Windows XP @ /dev/disk0s2 remounted
elif sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s2 /Volumes/"Windows XP" -o default_permissions
then echo Volume Windows XP @ /dev/disk1s2 remounted
fi

This section actually remounts the volume with the default_permissions option. Now, this part looks a little complicated because of a quirk in how OSX assigns BSD names (that's the /dev/disk0s2 portions above).

Sometimes, the primary disk will come up as disk0 and sometimes as disk1. This is obviously very frustrating, and I couldn't find a fix for it, so I just had the code try to mount the volume twice, first on disk0, and if that didn't work (that's elif, which is the same as 'else if' in C languages and Java).

For this section to work for you, just substitute /dev/disk0s2 with the bsd name of your NTFS drive, and "Windows XP" with the regular name of your NTFS drive. Do the same thing for the second part of the code (starting with elif) except substitute the opposite number for diskXsY. In other words, if you have disk0s2 for your drive, substitute a 1 for the 0 - disk1s2, and vice versa.

The BSD Name can be easily found under Disk Utility or I think by right-clicking the drive on your Desktop. I found a C program that does the same thing, but I dunno where I put it right now.

Finally, substitute the regular name of your NTFS drive everytime I wrote "Windows XP".

killAll Finder
echo Finder reset
echo Enjoy!

This just resets the Finder just in case the drive wasn't showing up before.

To test if it works, just double-click on it.

To have it start up with your computer, just add it to System Preferences >>> Accounts >>> Login Items. You'll have to enter your password in order for it work each time though.

That's about it :lol:

Bear in mind this is basically a hack, and not a very good one at that, since at random points the original problem resurfaces; and at other times, the drives won't show up with the correct name because I don't ping diskarbitration with the right name (I don't know how to both to do that and default_permissions at the same time - ntfs-3g throws an error).

Hope this helped, and here's hoping ntfs-3g 1.616 doesn't have these silly errors...

-eli b.

hi all with dead-links problems and other ntfs-3g problems.

I have made a nice tutorial which first links to a tutorial for compiling your own (1.616 or later!) ntfs-3g binaries. And after that it explains how to automount the you ntfs-partition on boot up using your fresh ntfs-3g. After much struggling with my ntfs-3g problems i decided this is the best and most reliable way.

Look for it over here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=56034

Good luck!

Greetings Koen

bilditup thanks very much for the great post. I haven't tried it yet and I'm away this weekend but next week I'll give it a go and post back here to let you know how I got on. It's a pity I didn't read this forum first and I would've installed one of the older versions first. Like another poster says it seems to be impossible to uninstall.

Bear in mind this is basically a hack, and not a very good one at that, since at random points the original problem resurfaces; and at other times, the drives won't show up with the correct name because I don't ping diskarbitration with the right name (I don't know how to both to do that and default_permissions at the same time - ntfs-3g throws an error).

Hope this helped, and here's hoping ntfs-3g 1.616 doesn't have these silly errors...

-eli b.

Somehow based on your solution I've got a better idea.

There's a script which is responsible for mounting ntfs-3g volumes. Instead of remouting a volume it is possible to mount it with default_permissions option automatically.

You just have to edit this file:

/System/Library/Filesystems/ntfs-3g.fs/Contents/Resources/ntfs-3g.mount

There's a line which says:

local OPTIONS="${OPTIONS}volname=${LABEL} "

I have replaced it with

local OPTIONS="${OPTIONS}default_permissions,volname=${LABEL} "

And voila! - no more insufficient privilegies error when using 1.417 version.

Now it works fine. I had problems mounting ordinary DVDs with version 1.516 so I had to downgrade to 1.417.

I'm about to try 1.616 using Fink soon.

awesome! this is probably the best trick to use right now, thanks alot! unfortunately since qe/ci is dead in the water for me right now, im not gonna be using osx that heavily anymore, but this is still pretty great.

-eli b.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

http://www.daniel-johnson.org/

I've just tried this, it appears to be working copying files from my 10.4.10 Hackintosh to WinXP harddisk. Installation couldn'd have been any easier.

Yeah, I found this site already but I don't know why this version doesn't work on my system! :censored2:

asbak. could U show me how to make it work? (Do we need uninstall the older version? Do we need use any commands when install?...)

Thank you!

Hmm, hard to say because I suppose none of us have 100% identical systems. Mine is a JAS 10.4.8 PPF1 PPF2 which was updated to 10.4.9 and then to 10.4.10 with the update packages from the "usual" sources. I added the kernel from the 10.4.10 package. I also applied all the other updates from Apple's site (except of course their 10.4.x updates).

I didn't have any previous versions of MacFuse or ntfs-3g installed and my comp was in a relatively virgin state.

I installed MacFuse 0.4, then installed the package. It didn't work at first due to a permissions problem on my NTFS drive. I rebooted into WinXP, activated the XP security tab (it doesn't show up by default) and set the permissions on the folder I wanted to share to give everybody read / write access.

Rebooted back into OSX, unmounted the Winblowz drive, mounted the volume as per Daniels instructions and everything worked fine after that.

EDIT

You could check Vin's advice here which may or may not be applicable to you:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58432

Hmm, hard to say because I suppose none of us have 100% identical systems. Mine is a JAS 10.4.8 PPF1 PPF2 which was updated to 10.4.9 and then to 10.4.10 with the update packages from the "usual" sources. I added the kernel from the 10.4.10 package. I also applied all the other updates from Apple's site (except of course their 10.4.x updates).

I didn't have any previous versions of MacFuse or ntfs-3g installed and my comp was in a relatively virgin state.

I installed MacFuse 0.4, then installed the package. It didn't work at first due to a permissions problem on my NTFS drive. I rebooted into WinXP, activated the XP security tab (it doesn't show up by default) and set the permissions on the folder I wanted to share to give everybody read / write access.

Rebooted back into OSX, unmounted the Winblowz drive, mounted the volume as per Daniels instructions and everything worked fine after that.

EDIT

You could check Vin's advice here which may or may not be applicable to you:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58432

Thank you, I followed your ways, now it works well!!! :unsure:

hi

I was wondering how I can find (using Applescript or the Terminal) what partition type a volume has?

eg. I would like to find out whether a Volume is HFS+ , NTFS etc formatted.. if I would be able to even find out whether it was mounted using ntfs-3g or without, that would be awesome!

Would appreciate any help!

thx in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys i too am a Boot Camp User and was stuck with NTFS Probs and used the MacFUSE and NTFS-3G Packages so i wrote a little script to auto start the NTFS Read / Write when we log in works fine for me.

Heres a link to a .DMG i created it has both the MacFUSE and NTFS-3G driver plus instructions and my Terminal command Script and it's easy to follow.

Enjoy

http://rapidshare.com/files/53713428/MacFU...TFS-3G.dmg.html

• 1 month later...

I have tried it and it DOES NOT work. For some reason now, I cannot even see my external drive and trying to remove the application it give me and error stating:

Uninstallation Failed

"NTFS for Mac OS X 6.0 is not installed."

Do we have any solutions? :P

Hi all,

I replied in another post but I think this one is most concerned.

So here are my replies for how to use NTFS-3G.

But here are the latest news I get, Check this last reply

No need of NTFS-3G and MacFUSE anymore in that case. Faster and Cleaner Volumes.

Try and please report.

Enjoy everybody. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried it and it DOES NOT work. For some reason now, I cannot even see my external drive and trying to remove the application it give me and error stating:

Uninstallation Failed

"NTFS for Mac OS X 6.0 is not installed."

Do we have any solutions? :(

Had the same problem and I had to erase the complete HD and reinstall the OSX. :(

You can use the uninstaller NTFS for Mac OS X 6.0 from the NTFSforMacOSXBeta3_3.dmg.

Now I use on a OSX 10.4.7 with NTFS-3G_1.1104-ublio. after installing the last MacFuse for 10.4 from here .

You should take a look at these great works. The Ublio package with its caching is quite as fast as the Paragon stuff and it comes with some useful "enabling/disabling" scripts.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to change my NTFS drive's display name and am getting an error.

I am using the following the previously mentioned commands in the terminal:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Windows XP"

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s3 /Volumes/"Windows XP" -o default_permissions

(disk0s3 being the location given to my NTFS drive, and the said drive being unmounted during this procedure.)

The Folder 'Windows XP' gets created, but then for the second command I get this error:

sudo: ntfs-3g: command not found

Any ideas?

In addition to that I'm getting the nice little permission error, also mentioned before, stating that"

The operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items.

whenever I try to copy a file from my mac side to that partition.

I know that has been addressed earlier as well, but the mount code I have seems different. I know I downloaded a later, if not the latest version(s) so how might I fix that?

-Jo

• 1 year later...

in fact, i did install those 2 pkg without terminal or any other command line.

no trouble at all and works just perfect in my hpintosh dv9780ez!

just wifi is stil waiting for conection...