NTFS Read/Write Support Finally here!

175 posts in this topic

Well, my Vista partition got most of its stuff wiped (winload.exe corrupt... And there are only a few folders on the partition now, yet it still says 40GB is being used??? Gonna have to reinstall at a later date). I presume it's because of this, however, I'm not 100% sure...

What's weird is that I can eject my XP partition but my Vista partition now shows up as a proper HDD (meaning I can't eject it). Weird...

Enable or Disable Scandisk/Chkdsk on system reboot

If you disable the automatic execution of Scandisk (Win98, ME) or Chkdsk (Win2K, XP), you should run it manually about every two weeks to maintain the integrity of your PC's file system.

Windows XP

Start > Run > chkntfs /x [drive] [drive]

For example, if you want to disable Chkdsk from running on drive C: chkntfs /x c:

Chkntfs works by modifying the BootExcecute value in the Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\

CONTROL\Session Manager

The default value is BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:autocheck autochk *

Chkdsk /f /r is unaffected by chkntfs and can be run to check volumes manually on the next system reboot.

For those who have the 0k problem...have you tried unmounting, and then remounting the drive?

Worked for me when an external drive appeared 0k.

In the end I uninstalled MacFuse due to the super slow shut down times...I dont expect to see the spinning circle when i shut down.

I now use an external hard drive as a liason between the two OSes (3 partitions, 70GB for HFS, 70GB for NTFS, 10 GB for FAT32 [only to be used for transfer of files from one OS to another])

...I bet i can transfer a 4gb file faster copying the file to my hard drive first and restarting into Windows much faster than one with MacFUSE and NTFS-3g.

Edited by ez12a

I use the echo command but it doesn't work. ( For locale settings )

And then i try the mount option as well and not working either.

I am using a Externall USB harddrive. Any pointers? 90% of my files cant be read due to locale settings.

@ cyclonefr: bon soir monsieur :). Wasn't me who compiled. 1: Core, reboot; 2: tools 3: NTFS

@ thunder.scripts: dunno, was the 1st 1 I installed. U might want 2 read the instructions over there :)

Edited by BugsBunny

Ok, suddenly I started getting LOTS of kernel panics when trying to copy about 200mb in video files.

What did I do?

1. Defragment the NTFS partition in Win XP

2. Upgraded MacFuse Core to 0.2.1 (DMG from http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/)

3. Reboot

4. Re installed MacFuse Tools (I did this because when I rebooted I had to manually mount my ntfs partition, I don't know if you MUST reinstall macfuse tools)

5. Upgraded NTFS-3G (DMG from http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php...670#post443670)

6. Reboot

And it worked, I could finally copy those files. Now, I don't know if what I did is right or makes any sense. I'm just telling what SEEMS to have worked for me.

Good Luck!

Fede

is there any way to mount a dmg image of an NTFS disk?

i need to restore this image. it was a backup made with copycatx.

I am able to mount other ntfs drives with no problems.

when I try to mount it i get this error:

john-smiths-computer:~ johnsmith$ sudo /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /Users/johnsmith/Documents/"windows xp backup.dmg" /Volumes/windowsxp -o ping_diskarb,volname="windowsxp"
Bootsector checksum failed.
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
Failed to mount '/Users/johnsmith/Documents/windows xp backup.dmg': Invalid argument
The device '/Users/johnsmith/Documents/windows xp backup.dmg' doesn't have a valid NTFS.
Maybe you selected the wrong device? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/hda, not /dev/hda1)? Or the other way around?
john-smiths-computer:~ johnsmith$ mount ?
mount: ?: unknown special file or file system.
john-smiths-computer:~ johnsmith$

After going through the install instructions using the latest files, I can now write to the NTFS drives. The weird thing is I only did to one partition, yet all other NTFS partitions are can be written too also.

But all is not well, after the first initial reboot, I could open Disk Utilities, but after another reboot, now Disk Utils just crashes the Finder (color wheel of death). Is there a fix for this?

Edited by BebopBlues