NTFS Read/Write Support Finally here!

175 posts in this topic

My NTFS partition is working perfectly on the read+write side. But I've just discovered that creating file bigger than 4gb size may render the system unstable, then after rebooting, that file will be mostly corrupt.

I discovered that by downloading a 6gb torrent directly -with Azureus OS X- into the NTFS partition. In the creation process, system halted after heavy disk activity.

Booting into windows, then doing a CHKDSK on that partition will erase the file then the partition will be useable again on OSX.

Edited by caracols

My NTFS partition is working perfectly on the read+write side. But I've just discovered that creating file bigger than 4gb size may render the system unstable, then after rebooting, that file will be mostly corrupt.

I discovered that by downloading a 6gb torrent directly -with Azureus OS X- into the NTFS partition. In the creation process, system halted after heavy disk activity.

Booting into windows, then doing a CHKDSK on that partition will erase the file then the partition will be useable again on OSX.

I reported this issue to the macfuse project at http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/issues/de...mp;can=2&q= (see comments)

and they have already done sth with it - going to try now.

As for the 4GB thing, some relevant things were changed in the newest release (MacFUSE Core 0.1.7). Please

upgrade and see if the > 4GB stuff works fine.

Ok it was working, then it started to {censored} out, then it stopped all together.

Ok, So I have 3 NTFS partitions that I want to share between OSX and {censored} P (XP). I installed the dmg files that homer pointed me towards and I restarted and like magic I had access to my drives. Well, after a few restarts one or more the of drives will appear as the others, but upon selecting them to open, it won't do it. Now, the drives don't even show up on the desktop. When I go into disk manager it shows the disks, however I can't open them, nor dismount them because it says there is another program assessing them. I am assuming this is because the NTFS programs is playing with them. Anyone else run into this? Anyone got any ideas to get it working? I have tried uninstalling the NTFS dmg and reinstalling both fuse and the NTFS portion to no avail, and I did remember to remove the old components before hand. I am going to fiddle with it. Off to class I go. Take care and thank you very much :D You'll rock as they say in the south

I installed MacFuse and NTFS-3G to access a Western Digital Passport drive (USB-NTFS Formated). Installation went smooth and the drive is mounted on every reboot.

The bad thing is that the transfer speed is sooooo slow, like usb 1.1 or lower slow. Does anybody know if this has been fixed or if there is a way to make a rollback?

If I can't take full advantage, I might as well uninstall it.

BTW... it is a great thing to be able to read/write on NTFS partitions.

I can't install the NTFS-3G package. I've installed MacFUSE 0.1.7 fine but when I try to install NTFS-3g 20070116-R4 it can't find MacFUSE on my TIGER disk.

I know MacFUSE is working because I'm able to use SSH and Spotlight file systems.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE

@Homer007,

The NTFS-3g installer is looking for MacFUSE.pkg receipt under /Library/Receipts. But the installer provided by Google generates the "MacFUSE CORE.pkg" receipt.

Please update this for version R5. And thanks for the great work.

Edited by esquilo22

I have installed both MacFUSE-Core-0.1.7 and NTFS-3G 20070116-r4. Rebooted. However I cannot write to my NTFS partition at all. I get this error message no matter what I try to write to it:

"The item 'xxxx' cannot be copied because there is not enough free space" even though I have around 90GB available. Also all the files on my NTFS partition have a 0kb size. Odd, I hope someone can help me out with this!

I need to mention that I am running OSX and XP on the same drive. OSX on first partition, XP on second.

Syldaril

Hi there,

Has anybody got any idea wether FUSE can mount SFS volumes? (meaning Microsan SFS)

I haven't found any reference to this in documentation as of yet, and by the way, if anyone knows of any other way to support SFS please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks Homer, just tried the latest packages. They seem to be better, even though a manual rename is required of receipts.

EDIT: Also small files get written on NTFS but large files (200MB) complain about free space. I think I will go back to older version.

Edited by Unstable Connection

i can t install NTFS-3G 20070116-r4

when i can instal

i only can in the NTFS partition and they are read only

sorry for my bad english

thx in advance

in spanish

no puedo instalar NTFS-3G 20070116-r4

Tengo inslado el macfuse y cuando quiero instalar NTFS-3G 20070116-r4 la unica opcion que tengo son las particiones ntfs y como son read only no tengo opcion de instalacion

Alguieb sabe la sloucion???

gracias

Has any of you guys tried to read international characters, like Japanese, Russian, etc?

Well, it doesn't work properly, unless we modify the locale setting.

For instance, since I am Italian, I should write

locale=it_IT

The problem is that in this last version of ntfs-3g, I don't know where to write this setting and how to modify it.

Does anybody know it??!?

EDIT: Never-mind, I've done it! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by B512

Has any of you guys tried to read international characters, like Japanese, Russian, etc?

Well, it doesn't work properly, unless we modify the locale setting.

For instance, since I am Italian, I should write

locale=it_IT

The problem is that in this last version of ntfs-3g, I don't know where to write this setting and how to modify it.

Does anybody know it??!?

EDIT: Never-mind, I've done it! :)

HOW TO?

I have installed both MacFUSE-Core-0.1.7 and NTFS-3G 20070116-r4. Rebooted. However I cannot write to my NTFS partition at all. I get this error message no matter what I try to write to it:

"The item 'xxxx' cannot be copied because there is not enough free space" even though I have around 90GB available. Also all the files on my NTFS partition have a 0kb size. Odd, I hope someone can help me out with this!

I need to mention that I am running OSX and XP on the same drive. OSX on first partition, XP on second.

Syldaril

I have got this prob too...

I have got this prob too...
"The item 'xxxx' cannot be copied because there is not enough free space" even though I have around 90GB available.

I got this too... :whistle:

and the weird thing is one of my partition didn't mount

Edited by thy

HOW TO?

Example for Italian:

in Terminal, type:

echo 'it_IT' > /Volumes/MyNTFSDrive/.ntfs-locale

Of course you replace "MyNTFSDrive" with the name of your Windows HD and it_IT with the locale of your Country.

If you don't know the locale of your Country, in Terminal type

locale -a

and you'll have a list of all available locales.

That's it! :)

Edited by B512

Can you clean up that first post? You mention the Terminal changes aren't necessary, but you leave them in the first post...So which is it?

Also, your "old" links are dead, I found the files I needed by browsing your iDisk, but not everyone will know to do that. Speaking of which, why am I prompted for a password? I can click Cancel a few times and then see the files, but it was a little annoying.

Edit: Now I just realized the "Click here" link is accurate...In any case, if the old instructions aren't needed, can we delete?

Edited by Jeremy King

Hi I have tried install macfuse in my Hackintosh but i don't work. I have followed all guide, i can mount drive and i can see the file system of my NTFS partition, but when i try to copy some files i get "error -36"

WHy? what's my problem?

Thanks a lot

Every thing was working fine untill today.. i got the same error then i tried everything to fix it but no luck, i hope someone will come with solutions.

here's a pic for the error:

error-36.gif

Edited by Zodiac