NTFS Read/Write Support Finally here!

175 posts in this topic

Update - 26th Jan 2007

There is no need to do all that mentioned below if you have undo it and just install these packages and your drives will be auto mounted with read/write after you restart!!!!

Ok guys new update use this Uninstaller to uninstall both MacFuse and NTFS-3g then install the new MacFuse + NTFS-3g included in this file click here and enjoy!!!

I will keep updating the packages when the new ones come out!!!

First Download the files below:

MacFUSE DMG Installer

NTFS-3g DMG Installer

Note: Before continuing this process, if you've attemped to install the NTFS package before:

(In Terminal):

sudo rm -rf /Library/Receipts/NTFS-3g.pkg

Install the two dmg files (macfuse and NTFS-3g)

After installing open terminal and type the following:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

export PATH

sudo ln -s /System/Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/mount_fusefs /usr/local/bin/mount_fusefs

sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g /usr/bin/ntfs-3g

Note: Before you do the following unmount all the NTFS drivers in Disk Utility

That just ensured that all the files are where they need to be. If you get "file exists"... that's fine!!!

Now that the prep work is done.. let's mount this drive already!!!

In Terminal:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/"Your Windows Drive"

<Replace "Your Windows Drive with w/e your drive is IN QUOTES.. "Windows XP" "Windows HD" >

Continuing on:

In Terminal (all in one command):

sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Your Windows Drive" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Your Windows Drive"

***NOTE*** in the /dev/disk0s1 -- replace this with the location of your Windows Drive, to find it, look in Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities... and then the properties for your drive. Also, the "Your Windows Drive" is the same we discussed earlier IN QUOTES.

Now here comes the interesting part, now all you have to do is auto mount the partitions every time your Mac restarts!!

to do this do the following:

In terminal type:

cd /etc

sudo nano fstab

add,

LABEL=NTFSxxx /private/mnt/NTFSxxx ntfs ro,noauto (replace NTFSxxx with real volume name)

close, save and exit

you can add another line like above if you have more then one NTFS Partitions!!

then type in terminal:

cd /System/Library/StartupItems/Disks/

sudo nano Disks

add after "/sbin/autodiskmount -va"

export PATH

mkdir /Volumes/Storage (you can change storage to wot ever you wanna name your partition)

ntfs-3g /dev/disk2s1 /Volumes/"Storage" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Storage"

Close, save and exit then reboot

If you have more then one ntfs paritions do something like this:

export PATH

mkdir /Volumes/Partition 1 (you can change partition 1 to wot ever you wanna name your partition)

mkdir /Volumes/Partition 2

ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"Partition 1" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Partition 1"

ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/"Partition 2" -o ping_diskarb,volname="Partition 2"

close, save, exit and restart

Enjoy!!!!

Edited by homer007

When going through the steps using Terminal, I can mount a NTFS partition Read/Write, but it shows on the Desktop as a Network drive. Info shows Kind: Volume, Server: afp://Hachintosh.local./User, Format: Unknown (afpfs). The partition does not appear in Disk Utility.

I'd rather have the NTFS partitions auto-mount, so I followed your instructions to the letter.

Now they appear on the Desktop shown as a Disk, but the NTFS partitions are still mounted Read-only. Information from Finder says Format: Windows NT Filesystem.

In Disk Utility I can see the same partitions with format NTFS 3g (FUSE), extended information shows Writable: No Owners Enabled : No and everything below that line No as well.

When reading your instructions again, slowly and thoroughly this time, it occurs to me I mount the partitions Read-only in fstab first (in their native NTFS format) and then re-mount them in NTFS-3g (Read/Write?) later by executing Disks from the StartupItems folder.

What have I done wrong?

What about NTFS permissions? Should I give the NTFS "everyone" user full permissions first in XP?

Thanks.

Edited by Telefunken

Hi

Just wondering if I could use this to mount my ntfs sata raid (winxp drive)

JaS10.4.8 installed on seperate single PIDE

sees raid as two unreadable drives (have to eject both every startup)

but otherwise all info is correct 2 x Maxtor152.7GB 6Y16OMO SATA Ok etc.

just don't know how/if even poss. to mount as ntfs raid set, disk utility wants to reformat the entire drive!!!

thanks for any help, links to info etc.

For all those people like me who just cant get automount to work. I made a simple script.

tell application "Terminal"
activate
do script "sudo umount /Volumes/Warehouse
export PATH
sudo mkdir /Volumes/Warehouse
wait
sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk1s8 /Volumes/Warehouse -o ping_diskarb,volname=Warehouse
exit"
end tell

This script very simply makes a directory named Warehouse and mounts it. It will ask you for password and you will have to close it, but it works. Enjoy. No changes required in any files.

Save script as application and add it to your Logon Items or whatever. If required disable automount via fstab and remove the umount line.

This is neither the fastest or best, but rest assured, will get the job done.

Edited by Unstable Connection

I really thinks this rocks !

But......

The install needs to be easier. Though the really difficult part has been done, this needs to be packaged so it even an "uncomfortable" command-line guy like me can install this.

Edited by marliwahoo

hi im getting this error while trying to install ntfs-3g

you cannot install NTFS-3g on this volume.macfuse_required

i have downloaded mac fuse from googleweb page and installed it

If you aready installed the MacFUSE package jus install ntfs-3g with Pacifist.

MacFUSE/ntfs-3g Volumes are not seen as MOUNTED on Disk Utility, they are mounted as a network volume, that is why the icon is like any other network volume.

hey mine also is mounted as network volumes.............. is there a way for it to be mounted as normal disk

its taking time for the disks to be mounted

one more thing wht do i have to write in place of NTFSxxx................here is the screenshot of the desktop and the info of a partition........ i have written disk0s5 in the place of NTFSxxx .......... is it correct????

picture1uh3.th.png

Edited by avenger

I carefully followed the guide. Everything went well but the automount.

When I reboot my computer, my NTFS hard disk is not automatically shown, which is good, but then it is not loaded as network, either.

If I want it to be mounted again, I have to type in the Terminal

sudo mkdir /Volumes/"WinXP Pro"
sudo ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"WinXP Pro" -o ping_diskarb,volname="WinXP Pro"

What is wrong?!?

Any suggestions?

hey B512 did u entered the entry above mentioned in the cd /System/Library/StartupItems/Disks/Disks file ???????

Yes, I did, but I had the same problem anyway.

In the end I figured out a solution.

I will post it with an updated guide, later (now I have to run!)

Thank you anyway! :rolleyes:

hey mine also is mounted as network volumes.............. is there a way for it to be mounted as normal disk

its taking time for the disks to be mounted

No, there is no way, that's the way Fuse and ntfs-3g work.

Ok so I have both of the DMGs installed and I think I have the drives almost configured correctly. I have 4 hard drives, 3 of which have one contiguous partition, and one of which has 3 partitions. Ok so I have done that, but My CPU is being tapped because it seems the hard drives are constantly accessing. Did I do something incorrectly?

sudo nano fstabLABEL=moviesndocumentaries /private/mnt/moviesndocumentaries ntf$
LABEL=idiotbox /private/mnt/idiotbox ntfs ro,noauto
LABEL=mydocumentsnmore /private/mnt/mydocumentsnmore ntfs ro,noauto

CODE

#!/bin/sh

##

# Local filesystems

##

. /etc/rc.common

StartService ()

{

if [ ! -f /var/db/volinfo.database ]; then Uninitialized_VSDB=-YES-; fi

echo "Checking disks"

/sbin/autodiskmount -va

export PATH

mkdir /Volumes/TV

ntfs-3g /dev/disk3s1 /Volumes/"idiotbox" -o ping_diskarb,volname="idiotbox"

mkdir /Volumes/MyDocuments

ntfs-3g /dev/disk2s3 /Volumes/"mydocumentsnmore" -o ping_diskarb,volname="mydocumentsnmore"

mkdir /Volumes/Movies

ntfs-3g /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/"moviesndocumentaries" -o ping_diskarb,volna,e="moviesndocumentaries"

if [ "${Uninitialized_VSDB:=-NO-}" = "-YES-" ]; then

if [ -x /usr/sbin/vsdbutil ]; then

/usr/sbin/vsdbutil -i

fi

fi

}

StopService ()

{

return 0;

}

RestartService ()

{

return 0;

}

RunService "$1"

So what do you think? Any suggestions? CPU at idle is chilling at 33%

GNU nano 1.2.4 File: fstab Modified

sudo nano fstabLABEL=moviesndocumentaries /private/mnt/moviesndocumentaries ntf$

LABEL=idiotbox /private/mnt/idiotbox ntfs ro,noauto

LABEL=mydocumentsnmore /private/mnt/mydocumentsnmore ntfs ro,noauto

[ Read 3 lines ]

^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos

^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut Txt ^T To Spell

I don´t get my external firewire hdd automounted...

I removed the apple ntfs and installed this release.

The internal drives ntfs parttitions are working correctly.

Rgds.

Fixed: I had to correct the pt via windows... worx now.

Edited by oldschool

My drives seem to be automounted even though I didn't type any of the automount commands in Terminal. BTW, the HDD I connected to my MBP is connected via eSATA ExpressCard/34.

@homer007: I don't want to criticize your efforts to post instructions on how to get the whole thing to work, but as I see you just copied all the How-To's from the other related topics and put them here. It would be fine if you could summarize these How-To's with a common structure as all of the previously posted instructions describe things in different ways which makes it a lot harder to follow your guide if you don't split up the different instructions into sections.

Edited by Cyman

OK, tried the newest packages (clean install).

1. installed, rebooted, volumes automount by themselves (no editing of anything) - nice

2. they are as network drives - not nice, trash doesn't work (i.e. "files will be removed immediately, OK Cancel")

3. spotlight stopped working / behaves badly

4. on restart it says "ntfs-3g doesn't respond to SIGTERM" or sth like that. Causes a 10 secs shutdown/restart lag.

Is there a way to set which volumes I want to be mounted read only (e.g. XP partition) as opposed to the default RW (data partition)?

Edited by jarodsix

Is it possible that I cannot mount the partitions from my second drive as long as I didn't apply the same commands to them? I guess it has something to do with the new NTFS driver replacing the Apple one, so it can't mount them read-only, is this right?