NTFS Read/Write Support Finally here!

175 posts in this topic

Isn't NTFS patented by Microsoft? Isn't this a patent infringement?

Fuse is a reverse engineered freeware now ported from Linux.

Reverse engineering is not copyright infringement, although I am certain some people would want it to be.

Reverse engineering is what gave us AMD cpus, for instance.

In Linux, Fuse can do some really neat things. Like mounting your gmail as a file system. Its not just for NTFS.

Great stuff ... A few comments:

1) Works although fussy when upgrading (need to uninstall and reinstall udpates in sequence).

2) Often need to force install of driver in terminal (otherwise shows "zero k" storage, etc...)

3) Causes slow boot to GUI and slow shut down from same.

4) Files larger than 4 GB copy fine.

5) Copy speed is approx half or a third of normal speeds (sometimes things get messed up and it runs even slower)

6) Many apps consistently "lock up" (Activity Monitor, Transmission, Finder, Quicktime), requiring "Force Quit" or restart

7) OS X runs slower, less reponsive

8) OS X 10.4.8 becomes generally unstable on my Intel Hacintosh and my Intel iMac

Good start, but I'll wait until the drivers get a little better (can't afford to trash my installs).

Cheers ...

Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 Ghz overclocked to 3.3 Ghz on ASUS P5B Deluxe and Nvidia 6600 w Natit/Titan (all res and accel working) ... crazy fast

iMac Core Duo 20 inch 2 Ghz

Fuse is a reverse engineered freeware now ported from Linux.

Reverse engineering is not copyright infringement, although I am certain some people would want it to be.

Reverse engineering is what gave us AMD cpus, for instance.

In Linux, Fuse can do some really neat things. Like mounting your gmail as a file system. Its not just for NTFS.

Software patents are different from software copyrights. You don't "reverse engineer" something that's patented. Software patents are about methods, that's why they all start with "A method in which..." No matter how the code is written, even if it is completely original, it can still constitute a patent infringement. The only exception, other than explicit permission, is if the patent holder gives out a non-exclusive royalty-free license for everybody to use it, like Adobe did with its PDF format.

I cannot write in NTFS partition. I have followed this guide but i cannot write, only read. I can view all files and mount with ntfs-3g, but when i try to write something appears error -36.

Any1 can help me?

Thanks!

here's the solution for -36 error >> this problem caused by XP your NTFS partitions in auto-check so you need to boot XP to finish the auto-check "may be u need to boot XP twice" then every thing gonna work fine..

Hi Homer007,

I tried your latest MacFuse Core yesterday and it works like a dream. Thank you for this beautiful piece of very very useful software. Now I can delete any files on Windows (NTFS) partition. Absolutely no errors as far as my requirements go.

"Balle Balle, Chak teh Fatteh, Shahbash"

Bhullar (Ferozpur)

Edited by gsbhullar

the relaunch of the finder sux

Agree with you. Sux, but is the single method I know that works. Sometimes I need to restart the finder severally, to have proper icons (network drive) to all my 3 win partitions (not folder icon).

Edited by XanthraX

Thank you for this wonderful post! I had before this thread always keep 1 fat 32 partition in order to transfer files from windows onto my macintosh. Now I can do it directly!

Every day I get more and more reasons to stay on mac.....

Tnx again!

I installed ntfs full updated by homer007, but after restart I cannot see my hd in finder or on my desktop...

utility disk can see ntfs hd (gray) but when I click mount, nothing happens...

have I to edit something to get my ntfs hd mounted at boot?

if so, how? have I to follow all steps in homer007 guide?

thanks

Sovled

ok. I found the solution (simple!). the uninstaller deleted all macfuse previous installed.

Now it's working. here is what I've done:

1. ran uninstaller (homer007 post)

2. macfuse - Core 0.1.9 installation

3. reboot (required)

4. installed homer007 updated files (macfuse tools then ntfs..)

5. rebooted

6. now ntfs windows disk is writable

p.s. but with the "no space available" bug... solved every time relaunching finder...

0kb solution will be very appreciated.

thanx

Edited by pgiom

Hey guys,

I have the following issue:

Everything related to ntfs-3g is working flawlessly (created a script to mount read/write) so that's great BUT:

- If I connect my external USB hardrive, it doesn't automount readonly anymore.

Where do I look to get this fixed as most of the time, I prefer fast access?????

Thanks!

Sander

Hi,

thanks for the guide, but there are a few things missing. So the guide needs an update before more users get lost.

First off, all links ar DOWN.

//and I am dumb :) forgot to copypaste my links and now I can't find them anymore.

Second, ntfs-3g does not install. A hint to fix this with pacifist would be nice ;)

Third is

add,

LABEL=NTFSxxx /private/mnt/NTFSxxx ntfs ro,noauto (replace NTFSxxx with real volume name)

now thats where I am stucked. What exactly does (replace NTFSxxx with real volume name) means?

// Ok, found out it. It is

LABEL="Your Volume Name" /private/mnt/"Your Volume Name" ntfs ro,noauto

You have to set it in quotes if you have a Disk name seperated with spaces like "Windows Drive". You can

screw them, if you have chosen an name without spaces like for example: WindowsDrive.

Thanks in advance for an update :)

Edited by xtraa

Do special characters work with this driver?

I'm having trouble with accented letters, I can see them in Windows, but in OS X filenames appear truncated :(

EDIT: I did some testing, and if I create a file using special characters in Mac OS X, those characters aren't seen in Win. It is as if they were using different encodings or something.

EDIT2: Sorry, found it in a previous post:

echo 'es_ES' > /Volumes/MyNTFSDrive/.ntfs-locale

Edited by thunder.scripts