HOW TO: Get the Sapphire X1950XT(id7244) and X1900XT (id7249) to work NOT THE PRO (Jccool Method)

jccool

804 posts in this topic

@X2K86

The fan is noisy because your using an XTX not an XT, this has always been an issue with XTX's and probably always will be...

(the solution is to buy a liquid cooled or silent fan for the card)

(on the positive side atleast the fan is on 100% and not 0% lol)

Jccool

Thanks for these drivers, working great on my X1900XT with res.support/qe etc.

Only problem is, that games like Quake 4 or Need For Speed Carbon have really poor performance. Any1 way to fix this, or are they other drivers that work better with those games?

Hi,

I think your game speed issues might actually have to due with the fact that you have an AMD because AMD's need extra patching and emulating of certain instructions to run osx86... because I have a core2duo e6600, 2gb of ram, and x1950xt gfx and carbon plays at 60fps 4 me... I might be wrong but it would make sence... how are 6the framerates on a real mac with an x1900xt?

Jccool

Jccool can you point me or explain why we do miss display output (aka blank screen) with ATi drivers/cards? I am trying to figure out what is happening on my AGP x1950 pro card, Leopard 10.5.1 ToH kernel, P4 3.6GHz 478pins, 24" DVI-D Samsung LCD. VNC client works but still with no CI/QE.

Any way to debug a driver in OSX? I'm a complete newcomer to OSX but have lots of background on Unix (mostly commercial ones).

Thanks.

Jccool can you point me or explain why we do miss display output (aka blank screen) with ATi drivers/cards? I am trying to figure out what is happening on my AGP x1950 pro card, Leopard 10.5.1 ToH kernel, P4 3.6GHz 478pins, 24" DVI-D Samsung LCD. VNC client works but still with no CI/QE.

Any way to debug a driver in OSX? I'm a complete newcomer to OSX but have lots of background on Unix (mostly commercial ones).

Thanks.

yes i would like to know also, us x1950Pro users have been left out in the cold ;)

Seems that the cards with 7280 from Gecube and Sapphire are not supporting QE/CI , even though they should, i have dual DVI (extended desktop) and reso is changeable, but i still want QE/CI

Jcool , could you help us out, or point us in the right direction in what to look for in the kexts ? thnx

Hi,

I think someone has a driver 4 the pro, check this out http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58988

Hi Jccool. First, sorry to this big off-topic under your driver post.

Actually we are trying our best to get this driver to work, but some things are still obscure to me -- just like my LCD screen.

Besides Apple technical documentation, macosforge.com and sources, do you know anywhere to get that kind of tech info -- in this case, particular to video drivers? Do you use BSD sources to get video kext on OSX? I am trying to understand the most I can to contribute in any way. But as I am a real newcomer to OSX, i need some (small i think) guidance.

Anything you could point me would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Hi Jccool. First, sorry to this big off-topic under your driver post.

Actually we are trying our best to get this driver to work, but some things are still obscure to me -- just like my LCD screen.

Besides Apple technical documentation, macosforge.com and sources, do you know anywhere to get that kind of tech info -- in this case, particular to video drivers? Do you use BSD sources to get video kext on OSX? I am trying to understand the most I can to contribute in any way. But as I am a real newcomer to OSX, i need some (small i think) guidance.

Anything you could point me would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

What parts of it confuse you? isnt it a self installer? also, mine is done by modifying the info plists of x1000 kexts and a special version of natit.kext

I really think those drivers should work for id 7280...

hi jccool!, I'm using your driver installer for 10.5.1 and I have some problems with the refresh of my apple cinema display. Is visible when I open Spaces, dashboard, drop a widget, games, etc

imagen1la2.th.png

See the "n/d", it's normal?

thanks a lot for the help!!!!

If you don't know what I'm talking about maybe I can rec a video :D

AT ddrdark

Hi,

In English, N D translates to N A which means Non Applicable... OS X knows you have an lcd and since lcd s have no refresh rate, it is automatically set to 60hz and written as non applicable...

In other words it isn't problem......

ALSO sleep only works with a special smbios that comes with PC_Efi and PC_Efi requires a core2duo or quadro

Hi! thanks 4 the answer!

Oks... mnmnmn...so you can see any "strange lines" when u open for example... spaces?

Also my system profile show:

Pantallas:

Cinema:

Tipo de pantalla: LCD

Resolución: 1680 x 1050

I remember to see images that showed the @60hz at the end of 1050, I don't know.. maybe it's just my imagination, but I guess there are some problems with the refresh... may be it's my leopard installation or something else

I'll try to record a video so you can see what I'm trying to explain :P

anyway, again thanks a lot for the help!

AT ddrdark

Hi,

In English, N D translates to N A which means Non Applicable... OS X knows you have an lcd and since lcd s have no refresh rate, it is automatically set to 60hz and written as non applicable...

In other words it isn't problem......

ALSO sleep only works with a special smbios that comes with PC_Efi and PC_Efi requires a core2duo or quadro

Hi,

I have PC_Efi (v7, I think).

I had sleep working with my X1600 pro, but since I installed the X1950XTX, it doesn't work anymore.

Display is corrupted when it wakes up.

CPU is C2D E4400.

I had nothing to do to get the card work (old kext was already edited for 512 Mb of ram and dev id was already listed)

I tried you driver but the menu bar was white.

Thanks for your reply.

@Jccool

Everybody seems to be very happy having CI/QE enabled and a stupid-proof installation

of drivers using your AIO package.

Well, I am not so happy as this is my third post asking for some specific help.

I have installed XxX 10.4.11 (essentials only, nothing fancy) on my P5WDH.

I used Jccool's AIO for the HIS X1950XT video card (ID 0x7244)

BUT... CI and QE are "not supported"

The AIO package allows selecting via checkboxes the drivers that suit the OS.

Well... there is no checkbox for 10.4.11. There are only for 10.4.8, 10.4.10

and Leo. No specific checkbox for 10.4.11.

So I chose the 10.4.10 checkbox.

Should I choose a different one ?

Is there a method for enabling QE and CI at this point using the 10.4.10 drivers ?

This is ALL I ask.

It may prove to be something simple to set up but I'm not a mac expert.

@smjork

Hi,

sorry about lack of 10.4.11 support, this is because most people use leopard these days and those that arn't are mostly using 4.8 or 4.10, you are the first person to ask for a 4.11 driver, if you really don't like Leo (as some don't) and want to keep Tiger, i'll see if I can't get a hold of 4.11 kexts and modify them,

Jccool

Well Jc ... it's not that I don't like Leo. I just didn't install it yet. I suppose I will, but I'm affraid I'll bump into some other problems.

So far I've installed Jas's, Uphuck's and now XxX's distros, while trying to read as many posts as I can in order to understand

what's new or modified in each of them. As I said I'm not a mac expert but I really need to work with it and become one.

I know it is much better to learn OSX using a real Mac but I cannot afford to use one right now.

I considered sticking to Tiger would be wiser because reaching 10.4.11 somehow means that major glitches are already known

and the release (even osx86) is very, very stable.

On the other side Leo is kinda new and any new stuff brings a lot of new "surprizes ";-)

Not as much as Windows does ;-) , but enough to become a doom for a non-experienced user. You know what I mean.

So far I've had two goals: to find a very suitable hardware configuration and to use the most stable osx86 i can get.

Now... if u say that Leo (and I mean iAtkos release) is much more stable and less glitch-featured than the ones I've mentioned

then by all means I will install iAtkos tomorrow, 1st thing in the morning. But I need to know if it reached the "almost-stupidproof-level" for a noob :-)

So that is why I keep asking for specific 10.4.11 related drivers.

Furthermore it would be extremely usefull (for noobs like me) if you would add those to a new AIO, among the others.

I guess this would be very appreciated by many ;-)

So far...

Distro: XxX 10.4.11 (chosen installation settings: "essentials", "ICH", "EFI")

Mobo: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (although my guess is that P5K3 would be a much better choice)

(onboard audio and both LAN worked out of the box, no WAN to test though)

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600

RAM: 2Gb DDR2

Video: HIS Radeon X1950XT 256Mb [iD: 0x7244] (no CI, no QE)

(only tested using the drivers for 10.4.10 from Jccool's AIO package)

Display: 20" Wide DELL LCD

HDD: 2 x WD SATAII (didn't try to access NTFS partitions but I'm pretty sure it will work fine using NTFS-3G and a manual mount/umount script)

DVD-RW: ASUS 1848BLT (read/writes ok)

USB ports: Ok (tested with some memory-sticks)

FINALLY! EFI Support for X1950XT!!!!

This is the EFI string made by minority on netkas's forums

If you aren't on P35 or G33 mobo you must change this value. IF YOU ARE on p35 or g33 don't modify nothing

6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a01
6c0200000100000001000000600200000d00000002010c00d041030a00

Guide to install strings: http://tinyurl.com/2r6maq

imagen4hg4.th.png

NOTE: dual DVI working, TV-out NOT (by the moment)

DOWNLOAD: http://rapidshare.com/files/82190578/X1950...ng.txt.zip.html

Hi,

Thanks, it works fantastically, it even has my proper resolution for the spinning wheel!

Jccool

btw, are there advantages to it ie: speed increase? thanks

hi jccool. I know my card is quite different but maybe there is sth in common and you can help, who knows. I've tried all the other threads in this forum, but seems like the guru's are quiet at the moment. My question is related to issues with Dual DVI. on my X1650Pro (more details here), I get everything working, but only one DVI monitor is recognized, the other stays dead. Is there anything in the kexts that I can edit to make it recognize or is it that it either both DVIs just work with one device id or they don't. The details of my problem are in the above post.

thank you

tgd