HOW TO: Get the Sapphire X1950XT(id7244) and X1900XT (id7249) to work NOT THE PRO (Jccool Method)

jccool

804 posts in this topic

Another success story! Mine also works perfectly. I included my com.apple.boot.plist file, so X1950XT users can get their GPUs working natively in 10.5.2.

Again, this is only for the Saphire X1950XT id7244 graphic cards (256Mb).

Another thing, I'd like to add ... I found this on forum.netkas.org.

ps: delete the .txt extension of the attached file.

pps: I just figured out, it was you DDrDark, who posted the thing I quoted from the netkas forum :) I Hope you don't mind.

Ok, I tried your method, but I failded :)

I had a perfect working 10.5.1 system + JCCool drivers, then I updated to 10.5.2 and everything was fine. Finally I update the graphic package, and I didn't have QE anymore (resolution still works). then I tried to follow your methods, but I'm not sure I did everything correctly:

1. I added in the Boot.plist the long EFI string, I tried both with 1 and 0 (with my mobo, I think this is the correct one)

2. I opened the Info.plist of ATIRadeonX1000.kext and added the ID under <key>IOPCIMatch</key>, where I found other similar strings

Is this correct? Should I need other kext?

Thanks in advance for any help!

@Lone Wolf,

Hi,

From what your saying, after 5.2 gfx update you still had res change, which means you still had my modded natit kext. Make sure if you are using pc efi for res change that you completly rid of Natit.kext, if your not using pc efi for res change, leave natit in there. To check if your pc efi vga is working, under graphics in system profiler check for efi driver, if that is writen there, your using it right, if not, try to fix it. As for QE/CI to ensure functionality, copy atix1000 to your desktop then edit the plist. then install with kexthelper b7... then reboot,

Good Luck,

Jccool

@Lone Wolf,

Hi,

From what your saying, after 5.2 gfx update you still had res change, which means you still had my modded natit kext. Make sure if you are using pc efi for res change that you completly rid of Natit.kext, if your not using pc efi for res change, leave natit in there. To check if your pc efi vga is working, under graphics in system profiler check for efi driver, if that is writen there, your using it right, if not, try to fix it. As for QE/CI to ensure functionality, copy atix1000 to your desktop then edit the plist. then install with kexthelper b7... then reboot,

Good Luck,

Jccool

Well, my System Profiler is identical to yours, apart CI (Software) and QE (Not Supported), so I presume I'm using the EFI driver (same version you have). Obviously, if the Apple updates didn't change the Natit.kext, I', still using yours :P So probably this is the problem...

When you say "completly rid of Natit.kext" you mean I have to remove it (together with Extensions.mkext I guess) or to install the one provided by Netkas (or Apple)? Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I still have to understand which extensions are modified and which not :(

Hi, Lone Wolf,

I am now having the same problem as you had before. I installed Kalyway 10.5.1 and included ATIinject (or whatever ATI driver on the disc that you can customize in it) and had it working with QE/CI, then upgraded to 10.5.2 and graphic update from Apple update. Now I have screen resolution changeable, but lost QE/CI. I wasn't able to find either ATIx1000.kext or natit.kext in /system/library/extensions/ Did I look in the wrong folder? What steps should I take to get it working like what you have now? :D

post-166766-1203210263_thumb.png

For the sake of us noobs I'm adding some details of how to edit the ATIRadeonX1000.kext file.

1. Copy the file from /System/Library/Extensions to your desktop for editing.

2. Right click on the file and choose "Show Package Contents".

3.In the Contents folder double click the Info.plist file which should open the file in TextEdit.

4.Add your Device ID.

5. Should look like this:

<string>0x71871002 0x72101002 0x71DE1002 0x71461002 0x71421002 0x71091002 0x71C51002 0x71C01002 0x72401002 0x72491002 0x72911002 0x72441002</string>

I've already added the Sapphire X1950XT ID to the above string, 0X7244. Notice all the ID's are followed by 1002, thus 0X72441002.

6.Save the file and either manually copy it back to /System/Library/Extensions and then fix permissions or just simply use Kext Helper b7 (find it here or google) to do all the work for you.

Hope this helps someone else. It took me a while to figure out. Making this change should give you back QE/CI after applying the post 10.5.2 graphics update.

Hello Everyone

I have some nice news!!!!

I have made 3 new Installers!

They are in 1 tiny zip file that is 1.7mb :-)

The installers include:

one which will update the ATIX1000.kext with the right dev id and assumes you have either my Natit.kext or ATIinject

The second and third do essentially the same thing except one is for P35/G33 and the other is for all other mobos, what it does is delete Natit.kext and ATIinject, then it updates your device id, then it replaces your com.apple.boot.plist with one that is already edited to give you PC EFI VGA!!! These installers asume you have atleast PC EFI 7.1 or higher installed...

all these installers can be found HERE or on the first post

enjoy!!!!

Jccool

Hello Everyone

The installers include:

one which will update the ATIX1000.kext with the right dev id and assumes you have either my Natit.kext or ATIinject

The second and third do essentially the same thing except one is for P35/G33 and the other is for all other mobos, what it does is delete Natit.kext and ATIinject, then it updates your device id, then it replaces your com.apple.boot.plist with one that is already edited to give you PC EFI VGA!!! These installers asume you have atleast PC EFI 7.1 or higher installed...

enjoy!!!!

Jccool

Thanks!!! much appreciate your work!!!

Are you autodetecting the existing dev id through the Natit or ATIinject, or just hardcoding your 1950? (I have the 1900).Can I request a feature to backup the previous boot.plist in future versions. In case I run this again 6 months from now and forget how it worked, then lose all my boot mods.Thanks,Blase

Hello EveryoneI have some nice news!!!!I have made 3 new Installers!They are in 1 tiny zip file that is 1.7mb :-)The installers include:one which will update the ATIX1000.kext with the right dev id and assumes you have either my Natit.kext or ATIinjectThe second and third do essentially the same thing except one is for P35/G33 and the other is for all other mobos, what it does is delete Natit.kext and ATIinject, then it updates your device id, then it replaces your com.apple.boot.plist with one that is already edited to give you PC EFI VGA!!! These installers asume you have atleast PC EFI 7.1 or higher installed...all these installers can be found HERE or on the first postenjoy!!!!Jccool

Hello Everyone

The installers include:

enjoy!!!!

Jccool

Hi, Jccool,

That's very cool! :wacko:

I am still a little confused here. I have X1950XT devID7244 running on G31 mobo. I installed Kalyway so I think I have ATIinject included. Do I used your first file or third file? Sorry being a n00b. I think I do have PC EFI coz I am running C2D CPU with vanilla kernel enabled, but have no idea about the version...

Hi, I don't know about the G31, download the 1.7mb 10.5.2 3 in 1 zip and use the installer for P35/G33 + efi vga... if that doesn't work, use the non g33/p35 installerAlso, the X1900 is currently not included in the installer, I may make one in a few days but for now there isn't an installer for x1900xt that will replace the com.apple.boot.plist sorry,I think I will make another post clairifying everything....

Jccool

Hello Everyone,

Let me try to shine some light on some of this confusion about my new 10.5.2 zip file....

First of all, all 3 of these installers are intended for the X1950XT not the X1900 XT

The zip file has 3 pkg's....YOU ONLY INSTALL ONE!

1. X1950XT 10.5.2 EFI-VGA Installer 0.1 P35+G33.pkg : This installer will install a pre edited ATIX1000.kext for device id 7244... It then searches for Natit.kext or ATIinject.kext and deletes them if they're found... It then replaces your com.apple.boot.plist with one that is already edited for PC EFI VGA meaning it uses efi for res change INSTEAD OF Natit... This one is ONLY FOR G33 & P35 chipset motherboards, (atleast that's what ddrdark wrote)

2. X1950XT 10.5.2 EFI-VGA Installer 0.1.pkg: This installer will install a pre edited ATIX1000.kext for device id 7244... It then searches for Natit.kext or ATIinject.kext and deletes them if they're found... It then replaces your com.apple.boot.plist with one that is already edited for PC EFI VGA meaning it uses efi for res change INSTEAD OF Natit... This one is FOR EVERY chipset motherboards EXCEPT G33/P35, (atleast that's what ddrdark wrote)

3. X1950XT 10.5.2 NON EFI UPDATE 0.1.pkg: This installer is only an UPDATE! It is for people that had 10.5.1 working then in 10.5.2 they had res change but no QE/CI! This will ONLY update ATIX1000.kext NOTHING ELSE!!!

Hope this clears things up :-)

Jccool

The second installer for all mobo's worked me, I am on a 1900GT (724b). I have the QE/CI enabled and it boots in the correct resolution, but technically I still don't have a kext loaded for the display so it is listed as a generic display 256mb card. I'm sure that is why there is a bit of mouse tearing.

Since I already changed my ID in the ATIRadeonX1000.kext to get the QE/CI, is there anything else I can change so it recognizes my card in the display page? Or if I am to understand properly, Jccool would have to make an installer that supported my dev-id so it modifies my apple.boot.plist for my card, right? Or could I try that manually as well?

Not sure if anyway would be interested but I've generated EFI strings for X1900XT running on my Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

If my understanding is correct you shouldn't need to amend the ATIRadeonX1000.kext as the card is already supported.

My card has a Device ID of 0x7249.

Quite simply you should only need to remove the injector you're using, add the hex string to your com.apple.boot.plist and rebuild your KEXT cache.

Once your reboot you should see the card in the System Profiler listed like the screenshot i've attached. I've also attached the HEX string that worked for me. I created this string using gfxutil and the instructions on the NETKAS forum.

On a side note, i've also created an EFI string for my onboard sound (ALC889a), if anyone is interested.

Regards

post-186938-1203356852_thumb.png

1900.hex.txt

A quick run through would go something like:

1. Get hold of gfxuti, you'll need it to convert hex to plist and vice versa

2. Obtain a plist template or create one by converting a hex string which you've already got to a plist

3. Edit the plist and match the relevant properties to your GPU

4. Convert the new plist into a hex string

5. Add the hex string to the com.apple.boot.plist under section <device-properties>

You can get all the utils and information you need from forum.netkas.org

I also used plistEditPro which is far better than textedit for amending/creating plist files

Another thing, I had problems getting the EFI string to work with the iAtkos release, although this may have been my fault. In the end I used the Kalyway release with virginizer :D

A quick run through would go something like:

1. Get hold of gfxuti, you'll need it to convert hex to plist and vice versa

2. Obtain a plist template or create one by converting a hex string which you've already got to a plist

3. Edit the plist and match the relevant properties to your GPU

4. Convert the new plist into a hex string

5. Add the hex string to the com.apple.boot.plist under section <device-properties>

You can get all the utils and information you need from forum.netkas.org

I also used plistEditPro which is far better than textedit for amending/creating plist files

Another thing, I had problems getting the EFI string to work with the iAtkos release, although this may have been my fault. In the end I used the Kalyway release with virginizer :)

Wow, just read through some of netkas.org and that is quite a bit to absorb. Thanks though, I'll give it a shot some time.

Hello Everyone,

I've been hearing about mixed success with my new installers. But it seems that those of you who are having trouble don't actually have an X1950XT! As i've said several time, my new installers are ONLY for the X1950XT, no other card. As soon as I get some time and some raw hex values for other cards, I will develope other installers, but for now the 10.5.2 solution is ONLY FOR the X1950XT!!!

Thank You,

Jccool

Has anyone got sleep working with this card? I have tried using jccool's installers as well as using an efi string to enable the card. It works great and in system profiler it shows up correctly and with an efi driver. From what I have read it would be a change in the AppleSMBIOS.kext file that would enable it. I have tried a number of versions of that file that I have found. If someone has it working could you upload your file somewhere or point me to a version I can get? Thanks!

nice job jcool

i have a 1950xtx and its working great but noisy as hell.

before your drivers i messed with 1950gt drivers and they have fixed my noise prob.

though no hardware accel. with those that bronya wrote.

he mentioned something like this to kill fan noise (even has am app that is supposed to fix it)

if noise fan , then you edit info.plist in natit.kext , replace all ATY,Prionace to ATY,PrionaceB and save and try

<key>@2,compatible</key>

<string>ATY,PrionaceB</string>

<key>@2,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@2,name</key>

<string>ATY,PrionaceB</string>

And try !

so can we do it for xtx? it would be great if u helped out cause the nois is killing me

Hi,

As far as sleep goes, mine doesn't sleep properly and i've also tried many smbios's.... It might be motherboard specific? If someone has a working, sleeping pc, could they attatch their smbios so I can try it, if it works for me and others ill add it to the installer...

As far as the X1950XTX, I don't have one so I can't do trial & eror which is why I can't really support it, if anyone finds a means of making it quiet, ill make an installer for it.

Jccool

Hello Everyone,

I have put together a new installer for the X1900XT (7249) This installer is an EFI VGA installer for those with that card and pc efi 7.1 or later. It will delete any natit/injector you may have and as requested, this installer will backup you boot configuration file in /boot_backup

You can get it from the first post,

enjoy,

Jccool