Intel Wireless driver

jalavoui

3,992 posts in this topic

Thanks for all of your work guys! Is there any chance that this driver will work on 10.4.6? I installed it and airport is recognized, however, I can't connect to any networks.

I'm really eager to know about this too! Is there any way to make this driver compatible with 10.4.6?

Anyway, you guys have made an amazing job, congratulations :D

Good to see progress!

jalavoui, Im running my 3945 under linux, tell me which logs exactly you would like to see. I will post whatever I can find currently regarding the 3945 within a few minutes.

EDIT I will wait to see what you need exactly since the /var/log/messages does not prove very useful, nor does dmesg. I will try and get something out of ipw3945d --debug=0x?????? --log-file=/var/log/ipw3945.log , so far i get nothing into that file.

do you use the latest source code (http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/) you need to download the source code and the firmware and build it in linux with gcc

change the linux source in order to get the size of the boot, ucode and firmware. i've done this with iwi2200 - see previous posts

having the sizes will help on splitting the firmware

the card will work only when the firmware load correctly. i had this problem with iwi2200 long time ago

i wish i had more people helping.

anyone with the 2100 card can also help by doing this in linux

do you use the latest source code (http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/) you need to download the source code and the firmware and build it in linux with gcc

i will now...

change the linux source in order to get the size of the boot, ucode and firmware. i've done this with iwi2200 - see previous posts

having the sizes will help on splitting the firmware

through sizeof(); statements im guessing ?

the card will work only when the firmware load correctly. i had this problem with iwi2200 long time ago

i wish i had more people helping.

anyone with the 2100 card can also help by doing this in linux

I wish i didnt have other projects going on so that I could learn IOKIT and help code...

Ill do my best. Ill be avail for the next hour or so. PM me if theres anything else you need jalavoui.

Hey guy. I'm having a little trouble installing this. I read the documents overs at http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/wiki/Installation but I'm not really understanding them. Would someone beable to explain them to me because I must be doing something wrong? After I open terminal and type what it says to type nothing shows up or changes. Its as if I didn't do anything.

lol, i just cant run the latest version, ive been fooling around with 1.2.0 and a modprobe of that module locks my kernel... dont know why

is it ok if i just use the latest version thats stable in portage? it will be much quicker since its already installed and stable on 2.6.18 suspend2 sources. Latest firmware is installed, but you can double check on this link

http://gentoo-portage.com/Search?search=ipw3945

There should not be much difference... xkazu what do you think?

lol, i just cant run the latest version, ive been fooling around with 1.2.0 and a modprobe of that module locks my kernel... dont know why

is it ok if i just use the latest version thats stable in portage? it will be much quicker since its already installed and stable on 2.6.18 suspend2 sources. Latest firmware is installed, but you can double check on this link

http://gentoo-portage.com/Search?search=ipw3945

There should not be much difference... xkazu what do you think?

at first .

I dont know status of ipw3945. i dont know instruction because i dont read doccuments.

ipw3945 work in other sversion?

u should check if another version work or not ,before asking in this.

and when do u run dose ipw3945d(user land daemon ) ?

ok, for people who are like going "where the hell do i change the network interface of my airport to en1??" here's the solution:

1. go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

2. type "sudo nano NetworkInterfaces.plist"

3. if there are any networks occupying en1, change the value for that network to en2, and so on. Make sure they dont clash

4. find your airport device in the plist and change its BSD name to en1.

5. reboot

I tried this but after restarting the system the file NetworkInterfaces.plist remain the same without the changes. Are there any other suggestions?

Edited by StormBringerSword

Ok peeps Here is the story:

I had this working on 10.4.8 yesterday, but 10.4.8 was giving me signifigant other issues, ranging from no QE/CI to some programs not working. This morning I wiped that install and installed 10.4.6 JAS system. Immediately updated with JAS 10.4.7 updater. Installed Kext, no go.

After some research I found that the JAS 10.4.7 update did not update the extensions. So I downloaded the 10.4.7 update (Delta) from apple, and used pacifist to install io80211.kext and ionetworkfamily.kext. Rebooted, still no go. Here is the part thats tricky!

I had to edit the iwi2200.kext info file and set the first option from 1 to 0 and the 10.4.8 to 1 (Don't ask me why, I am definitely NOT running 10.4.8).

A quick reboot and reinstall of the Kext and it works!

A couple small notes: Its slow, but alpha/beta so no complaints here, will watch for updates to speed things up. Its pretty stable, have used it all day with no hiccups. Others have claimed otherwise, but I have used manual setup to get a connection, but had to input router / dns info, but it worked fine when properly configured.

meh i did Software updates, saw some updates on Airport, downloaded them and now i cant get wireless waaaaahhh ;_;

some way i can revert back ? =\

me and my "up to date" thingy...

I did the same thing and to get back I just downloaded the 10.4.7 intel update and use pacifist to install IO80211family.kext and Apple80211.framework

I rebooted and was connected to my open access point.

Hope it helps.

Damn good work! Network works well, even switching on and off the wireless button. I'm using it on a Jas 10.4.8 install with Semthex b9 kernel (Sony Vaio VGN-S2XP - Pentium M, ATI 9700).

I've noticed strange system performance issues only when the kext is loaded (double checked). The mouse doesn't respond very well and System Preferences lags on Network configuration. All of OSX seems a little less responsive. No such issue when I don't load iwi2200.kext .

Someone has any clue about this strange behaviour?

Edited by glrossetti

DELL Latitude 120L (same as inspirion 1300, B130, B120 models) Intel 2200BG

Celeron 1.6 - Mac os X 10.4.8 kernel 8.8.1

surfing internet is fine, very fine, but crash when i try to download a file greater than 500k.

set the first option from 1 to 0 and the 10.4.8 to 1 to work with my setup.

Edited by Glauber Lobo

ok, another problem spotted.....

if i dont have any network to connect to, it will keep scanning for AP, and that crashes the system after a while (5min or so)

attempting to down the interface will cause terminal to hang and attempting to access network configuration from system configuration will yield a hang on the system configuration and a system wide crash.....

the only way to get around is to edit the plist and set p_disabled to 1 and remove the kextcaches and reboot.... and when u r sure that there is a network, then you set the values back.... its troublesome i know....

Hey jalavoui,

heres some of the sizes you requested (at least i think they are the ones you wanted):

i added this code inside this function before the error label:

static int ipw_read_ucode(struct ipw_priv *priv)

here it is

printk(KERN_INFO DRV_NAME ": priv->ucode_raw->size: %d\n" , priv->ucode_raw->size);
   printk(KERN_INFO DRV_NAME ": ucode->boot_size: %d\n" , ucode->boot_size);
   printk(KERN_INFO DRV_NAME ": ucode->inst_size: %d\n" , ucode->inst_size);
   printk(KERN_INFO DRV_NAME ": ucode->data_size: %d\n" , ucode->data_size);
   printk(KERN_INFO DRV_NAME ": sizeof(*ucode): %d\n" , sizeof(*ucode));

here is my dmesg output

ipw3945: priv->ucode_raw->size: 111572

ipw3945: ucode->boot_size: 900

ipw3945: ucode->inst_size: 77888

ipw3945: ucode->data_size: 32768

ipw3945: sizeof(*ucode): 16

hope it helps

this is from ipw3945 1.2.0 and ipw3945-ucode 1.13

ok, i noticed one thing when i am using this driver.... when i try to run SOME programs that are dependent on network, it causes a kernel panic....

programs include warcraft 3, hamachi, farsight etc....

i'm not using the debug version.... will use the debug one and post a log soon.... busy with design now....

here is my dmesg output

ipw3945: priv->ucode_raw->size: 111572

ipw3945: ucode->boot_size: 900

ipw3945: ucode->inst_size: 77888

ipw3945: ucode->data_size: 32768

ipw3945: sizeof(*ucode): 16

hope it helps

this is from ipw3945 1.2.0 and ipw3945-ucode 1.13

thanks

i'll try to build new header files for the firmware

when this is done the card will startup :)

can someone do this for the 2100 card?