Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Hello, I have a nForce 410/430 MCP controller installed on my laptop (or at least this is what CPU-Z reported me...) and, using the last .kext version of the "nForce4 ATA/SATA controller", I was finally able to mount my hard disk. But then it freezed in Darwin while trying to remove some temporary files... :dev: Anyone got a solution for this? I want to run Mac OSX in native mode, VMWare is so slow... Thanks a lot!

Hi! I've the same problem... My laptop is a hp dv2031 with the same SATA controller. Thanks!!

EDIT: Sorry, I was writting while Thico Alves replied.

Edited by AnFe

Hi! I've the same problem... My laptop is a hp dv2031 with the same SATA controller. Thanks!!

Yeah, most HP Pavilion got the same SATA controller (mine is a hp dv2102). Let's hope MeDevil can find a solution for us soon!

Edited by DDJ

Thanks Thico Alves, i didnt think about vmware. Good thought. I know about the MCP51 issue, thought if i could get the kext loaded i could help debug.

If there are any IRC sessions coming up to help with MCP51 situation, id be glad to know so I could contribute.

you don't need to proper load the kext on instalation. You can install using VMWare (it's really really very simple...same steps as if you were installing normally, but you need to first open the program on Windows and then tell him on a wizzard screen to use you entire disk on the virtual machine). But since you have an nForce 410/430 (MCP 51 controller) you wont be abble to use MacOS, because the driver doesn't work for writing yet. To install it without VMWare is absolutly impossible. You will be abble to see your disk, but will not be abble to format or copy anything to it. Using VMWare everything works normally because it uses the Windows SATA driver on the virtual machine. So it just works! =D

I just installed the latest BIOS update from hp for my dv6119.

it updates the bios to Version: F.27

it says that it Updates the BIOS to meet the requirements for a Microsoft Vista Ready PC.

unfortunately, I can no longer boot a MacOSX install disc (cannot find boot.plist) , nor can I boot my prior installation from external USB hd (cannot find boot.plist and gives an "EBIOS read error: Error 0x04".

I wonder if my bios is now incapable of reading hfs partitions? is that is the only "requirement" for a "Microsoft Vista Ready PC", I'd rather go back to my old bios. I can however, read the hfs partition once booted into linux. This doesn't get me very far though.

see for details: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...768&lang=en

I'd recommend skipping this update to any other dv6119 owners

I just installed the latest BIOS update from hp for my dv6119.

it updates the bios to Version: F.27

it says that it Updates the BIOS to meet the requirements for a Microsoft Vista Ready PC.

unfortunately, I can no longer boot a MacOSX install disc (cannot find boot.plist) , nor can I boot my prior installation from external USB hd (cannot find boot.plist and gives an "EBIOS read error: Error 0x04".

I wonder if my bios is now incapable of reading hfs partitions? is that is the only "requirement" for a "Microsoft Vista Ready PC", I'd rather go back to my old bios. I can however, read the hfs partition once booted into linux. This doesn't get me very far though.

Does the new BIOS give you any more options that it did before? Because I have the old bios, and it doesnt have _any_ options at all.

Does the new BIOS give you any more options that it did before? Because I have the old bios, and it doesnt have _any_ options at all.

The only new option I've noted is that you can customize the amount of video RAM being used. The dv6119us has an nvidia geforce go 6150 chip and uses a chunk of the system's RAM. Everything else in the bios seems the same to me. While this option is appealing to anyone who may be a stickler for graphics, the change would only be noticable in Vista. (It did improve the overall "score" of my laptop.)

I was hoping for an extra option in the HD department, that would of allowed me to install osx to the main drive.

-at least I've got a working linux system on this baby. (I recommend Sabayon Linux for this particular laptop)

I just accidentally fixed the BIOS problem.

Instead of booting with the disk in the drive automatically, press the esc key at system boot to bring up a boot menu. choose the cdrom drive or usb hd, and it boots fine. If you try to boot automatically, it fails with that EBIOS error. and cannot read the plist file.

strange quirk. I guess there is hope now.

I'm going to reinstall to an external HD now, and see if the bios update helps anything.

Hopefully, this bios update will at least allow me to get the NForce4 driver-hack functioning.

can we please know where exactly the source of the problem may lie for MCP51 write.. at least ur opinion, MeDevil, so that we can also try to search online and help contribute to your effort.. sorry to say that IRC is blocked for me and i cant access it.. thanx

MeDevil.. pls reply

Edited by aPpLeFrEaKpEePs

can we please know where exactly the source of the problem may lie for MCP51 write.. at least ur opinion, MeDevil, so that we can also try to search online and help contribute to your effort.. sorry to say that IRC is blocked for me and i cant access it.. thanx

MeDevil.. pls reply

If i did know where the problem resides, i would have already fixed it... don't you think?

Perhaps the problem could be related to ncq, interrupt(s) not handled correctly or, as in linux, sata reset not handled correctly.

Greetings, Domenico.

If its related to NCQ, will it also show in my old SATA 80 GB HD with no NCQ? becoz that is also not working fine. it gives the same problem. maybe it is related 2 interrupt handling.. i am also looking up the bsd source changelogs now to see if anything was patched maybe..

Thank you so very much for this driver. My sata harddrive is working flawlessly. My mobo is a msi k8n platinum (nforce 4 sli chipset).

Once again, thanks a lot :unsure:

Now all I need, is a driver for my creative live 24bit soundcard, which is pretty much impossible, I know :P

Sorry, one question.

How am i suppose to install the extension? I dragged it into Extensions, delete those two files and rebooted, but "IOATA controller blocking bus" still shows up in system.log and system freezes now and then :)

I have a DFI mother (nforce 430), using JaS 10.4.8.

Thanks!

Fede

EDIT: I repaired file permissions and deleted AppleVIA.kext and AppleVIAATA.kext from Extensions, rebooted and it seems to be working now.

Edited by thunder.scripts

My system Nforce4 Chaintech VN4F/Ultra

Installed osx on a pata drive.

Installed the Nforce 4 SATA kext

Then cloned it onto a 250 gb SATA drive. (Movies and music on the STAT are played correctly)

Booted off the SATA get a waiting for root device error.

In Windows is gives me this as the hw id PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_10DECB84&REV_F3

and the device instance id as PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_10DECB84&REV_F3\3&2411E6FE&0&38

so what goes into the Info.plist as the vendor id?

Taken from the system profiler when booted from my pata drive

AppleNForceATA:

Version:	1.0.2
 Last Modified:	1/26/07 7:50 PM
 Get Info String:	1.0.2, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2004
 kext Version:	1.0.2
 Load Address:	0x4caa2000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Incomplete
 Dependency Errors:
 com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 Integrity:	Kext has no receipt

1000322nm9.th.jpg 1000323un1.th.jpg 0203071421br3.th.jpg 0203071422kf9.th.jpg

Edited by AppleIIGuy

Hi guys,

i just wonna say a big THANKS, esp. to bikedude and medevil!!

The driver seems to work on a Asus A8N-SLI Premium with SATA on nforce4.

I copied my working OSX86 installation with clonetool from my PATA drive to the SATA drive (SAMSUNG SP2504C). Before i did some tests with MD5 and copying 2GB files to the SATA drive to make sure writing is working correctly.

I'm writing this from my booted SATA drive. I will post if the every day test will sho any strange things...

My config:

OSX86 10.4.8

AMD 3200+

Asus A8N-SLI Premium

here are the xbench scores:

Results 39.07 (PATA)

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type ST380021A

Disk Test 39.07

Sequential 52.09

Uncached Write 38.89 23.88 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 68.56 38.79 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 44.65 13.07 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 70.96 35.66 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 31.26

Uncached Write 10.96 1.16 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 62.61 20.04 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 85.97 0.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 109.47 20.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Results 50.60 (SATA)

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.8 (8L2127)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type SAMSUNG SP2504C

Disk Test 50.60

Sequential 105.55

Uncached Write 138.30 84.91 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 131.82 74.58 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 63.50 18.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 136.41 68.56 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 33.28

Uncached Write 11.08 1.17 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 96.21 30.80 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 82.92 0.59 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 133.37 24.75 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Again. thanks for your hard work bikedude and medevil!

Greetings macdanger

My system Nforce4 Chaintech VN4F/Ultra

Installed osx on a pata drive.

Installed the Nforce 4 SATA kext

Then cloned it onto a 250 gb SATA drive. (Movies and music on the STAT are played correctly)

Booted off the SATA get a waiting for root device error.

In Windows is gives me this as the hw id PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_10DECB84&REV_F3

and the device instance id as PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_10DECB84&REV_F3\3&2411E6FE&0&38

so what goes into the Info.plist as the vendor id?

Taken from the system profiler when booted from my pata drive

AppleNForceATA:

Version:	1.0.2
 Last Modified:	1/26/07 7:50 PM
 Get Info String:	1.0.2, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 2004
 kext Version:	1.0.2
 Load Address:	0x4caa2000
 Valid:	Yes
 Authentic:	Yes
 Dependencies:	Incomplete
 Dependency Errors:
 com.apple.iokit.IOATAFamily:	No valid version of this dependency can be found
 Integrity:	Kext has no receipt

1000322nm9.th.jpg 1000323un1.th.jpg 0203071421br3.th.jpg 0203071422kf9.th.jpg

It seems that you haven't installed the kext correctly, because it's not even mounting your device (that should work 100% with this kext). So, try opening OSX on SATA using VMWare and then copy the kext to system/library/extensions. Then open terminal and do that:

sudo -s

(type your password)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/(kext name).kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/(kext name).kext

rm /System/Library/extensions.mkext

rm /System/Library/extensions.kextcache

exit

exit

that's the correct way to install any kext. Do that and try again!

Thico Alves.

hey thunder.scripts..

r u booting of ur sata drive? did u try writing to it? or are u just booting off ur pata and using sata as read only? i am asking u as u hav mentioned; u hav a nforce 430 chipset based board.. on which as of now sata write is problematic

Nope didn't work

1000328tx7.th.jpg1000329zt3.th.jpg

post-67982-1170566229_thumb.jpg

This is my system booted off the pata drive

1000331hd0.th.jpg

This happend when i put disk6s1 in the boot.plist

Did you modify the kext? Please, check the Info.plist on:

- /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

- /System/Library/Extensions/AppleNForceATA.kext

As you can see on the init process, there is an error while reading the xml (i think it's related to IOATAFamily).

Also, make sure you delete your vendor/device id from:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily/Contents/PlugIns/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Also, what version of osx do you have? This kext is compiled for 10.4.8 and will probabily not boot with older versions (haven't tried yet!).

Greetings, Domenico.

Yep, it's booting from the SATA drive (I have to use -f flag, though, otherwise it freezes "waiting for boot device").

I will check to make sure I have nforce 430 when I boot windows :)

MeDevil: what are we suppose to edit to make it work properly? I just added your kext and deleted (and backed up) AppleVIA and AppleVIAATA.kext :S

Thanks for all your work, I can't believe SATA is finally working!!!

Edited by thunder.scripts

man its easy to check

if u hav onboard video and nvidia nforce 4 it has 2 be the nforce 410/430

pls add me on gtalk.. that will b a better way to communicate..

pls

i hav PM'ed u

ohk

no wonder y i cudnt boot in even after deleting the 2 via kexts frm my SATA HD

no idea y u require -f everytime u boot

that option refreshes the cache as far as i remember

1. check if u hav fixed permissions properly using chown and chmod on the kexts

2. else jus add -f to Apple.com.boot.plist file to automatically add it at the time of bootup

Edited by aPpLeFrEaKpEePs