Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

My SATA and my PATA get recognized and mounted without a hitch! :thumbsup_anim:

However...

upon trying reformat the sata drive from NTFS -> OS X Extended results in the following:

1. the sata drive mounted on the desktop disappears.

2.disk utility hangs

3.kenel_tasks process starts going bonkers, lol

4. Last but not least, upon force quiting disk utility and logging out, dmesg says:

IOATA blocking bus ( I start getting these messages while disk utility hangs)

but all these errors only relate to my nForce sata HD, not my nForce pata HD.

:tomato:

But heck of a job! :whistle:

However...

upon trying reformat the sata drive from NTFS -> OS X Extended results in the following:

2.disk utility hangs

4. Last but not least, upon force quiting disk utility and logging out, dmesg says:

Please, could you report me:

1. Your osx & kernel version.

2. motherboard model.

3. where did you put the kext and what did changes you did.

If you want, i'll be on irc today (wel... now i am, later... u knows...)

However...

2.disk utility hangs

mhhh that would mean that nothing has been fixed isn't it ? but it's weird looking at other people reporting success

Edited by myzar

Woooorkkk!!!!

Look my sign for specific!

medeviillllll IIIII LOOOOVEEEE YOUUUUU!!! auhauhuahauh

You are my hero!

We have saved 15 euro ( :whistle::thumbsup_anim::tomato: ) thanks you!

Woooorkkk!!!!

Look my sign for specific!

medeviillllll IIIII LOOOOVEEEE YOUUUUU!!! auhauhuahauh

You are my hero!

We have saved 15 euro ( :censored2: :censored2: :P ) thanks you!

Lol... ok ok... i'll wait you in the irc channel... you promised me a statue (or did you forgot that?) ;)

You saved 15€? i lost 30€... (bought a sis sata card 2 days ago and got nforce4 working yesterday :censored2: )

Guest AaloPalto

For me the same result. Moving/copying large files is no problem. But diskutil wont work at all, just hanging without any message (IOATABus blocking or such...just a whole bunch of nothing).

May be its related to the partionmap on my sata-hdd...

Chipset is nForce 430, MCP51, dev 0x0266, ven 0x10de. The hdd mounts without any probs, and i dont added the dev-id.

Very good work at all!

Thx guys

Please, could you report me:

1. Your osx & kernel version.

2. motherboard model.

3. where did you put the kext and what did changes you did.

If you want, i'll be on irc today (wel... now i am, later... u knows...)

8.8.1 & 10.4.8

nForce 430/410 biostar 6100M7

.kext went into /System/Library/Extensions and my _dev & _ven were already in stock the .plist you guys provided

Deleted "Extensions.kextcache" and "Extensions.mkext" and repaired all disk permissions

I know it's something minor, because the disk mounts and I can even move files and what not, but oh boy, disk utility won't touch the drive with a 10 foot poll, lol.

But I'm going to play around some more today. I'm gonna nuke the sata drives partitions in another OS and make an apple extended partition. I think my BSD dvd allows making apple extended partitions.

cheers!

Edited by Plat Sajack

Did any of you guys try to use a sata drive as root device yet? I have an asus pundit barebone, with nvidia 51 mcp chipset and it only has space for one hd and I wasn't planning on ditching my sata hd. If you installed your osx86 directly onto your sata hd plz tell me how you did, then I can have a go at it again too...

Greetings,

Michael

Did any of you guys try to use a sata drive as root device yet? I have an asus pundit barebone, with nvidia 51 mcp chipset and it only has space for one hd and I wasn't planning on ditching my sata hd. If you installed your osx86 directly onto your sata hd plz tell me how you did, then I can have a go at it again too...

Greetings,

Michael

Hi, Michael. I've succesfully copied my osx partition from the old pata drive to the new sata drive with carbon copy. i didn't have the time to put the kext on a dvd for a native install, so you should try to build a new dvd with the kext if you want to install from dvd. I have a CK8-04 (nforce4) so couldn't test this kext on a mcp51 (but the driver is supposed to work).

Hope that my driver works smoothly also with your mobo. report me any problem.

Last note, to ninjapig (and all the others that didn't see it): A paypal account is written into my signature. :)

Greetings, Domenico.

Hi guys!

Hey, thanks for the great work medevil, but it seems that it didn't work with me... unless I think not. I have a notebook with nForce430 chipset and I was planning to install MacOSX on it since my desktop PC runs it perfectly. Well, I just was abble to install and run it under VMWare, that's really SLOW! So for all this time I was looking for news about nForce4 here until you gave me this great news. So I installed your driver copying it to IOATAFamily.kext plugins folder. I then configured permissions, bla bla bla and restarted. hoping that it could work nativally... Well, it worked, sort of... It mounted my SATA drive (it never did that before, I just got "still waiting" message all the time) and so unbeliveably it starts loading OSX nativally for the first time... but then it frozed trying to remove some files (temporary files I guess...), something like removing /bash something I don't remember, just a few seconds after the successfull mount. Then I used macdrive to restore my original files on Windows but finished scratching my OSX partition. So when I tried to boot up on OSX again it mounted (still using medevil drivers) and then tried to check-up my disk as usual when an error occurs but stay checking forever (probally froze again!)...

I don't know what to do, since a user with the same controller as mine (ID 0x026610de) reported fully working with him. I will try to reinstall my OSX again this night and so try again. Latter I post my results!

THANKS A LOT for the support guys! Bikedude solved my SIS HD problem on desktop and so I hope you could solve this problem on my notebook too! you're the best guys! :)

Hi guys!

Hey, thanks for the great work medevil, but it seems that it didn't work with me... unless I think not. I have a notebook with nForce430 chipset and I was planning to install MacOSX on it since my desktop PC runs it perfectly. Well, I just was abble to install and run it under VMWare, that's really SLOW! So for all this time I was looking for news about nForce4 here until you gave me this great news. So I installed your driver copying it to IOATAFamily.kext plugins folder. I then configured permissions, bla bla bla and restarted. hoping that it could work nativally... Well, it worked, sort of... It mounted my SATA drive (it never did that before, I just got "still waiting" message all the time) and so unbeliveably it starts loading OSX nativally for the first time... but then it frozed trying to remove some files (temporary files I guess...), something like removing /bash something I don't remember, just a few seconds after the successfull mount. Then I used macdrive to restore my original files on Windows but finished scratching my OSX partition. So when I tried to boot up on OSX again it mounted (still using medevil drivers) and then tried to check-up my disk as usual when an error occurs but stay checking forever (probally froze again!)...

I don't know what to do, since a user with the same controller as mine (ID 0x026610de) reported fully working with him. I will try to reinstall my OSX again this night and so try again. Latter I post my results!

THANKS A LOT for the support guys! Bikedude solved my SIS HD problem on desktop and so I hope you could solve this problem on my notebook too! you're the best guys! :)

Did you try to install osx into another machine (without the nforce4 chipset) with the same dvd?

You should try to include the kext into the dvd and do a native install.

I couldn't investigate deeper, since i have no clue of what is your exact problem.

Greetings, MeDevil.

Did you try to install osx into another machine (without the nforce4 chipset) with the same dvd?

I couldn't investigate deeper, since i have no clue of what is your exact problem.

Greetings, MeDevil.

On my desktop I installed OSX using the same DVD and using VMWare too, since it was having a few HD problems too, and now with bikedude's driver for my HD on desktop (SiS648), is everything perfect nativelly. And it can't be a DVD problem, since it works slowly, but works on VMWare on both desktop and notebook.

On my desktop I installed OSX using the same DVD and using VMWare too, since it was having a few HD problems too, and now with bikedude's driver for my HD on desktop (SiS648), is everything perfect nativelly. And it can't be a DVD problem, since it works slowly, but works on VMWare on both desktop and notebook.

Please try the following when installing osx:

1. create a virtual machine and install osx from the dvd.

2. before you boot with osx, boot again with the dvd via vmware. you should be able to access the terminal.

3. copy the kext into your drive (using the terminal).

4. set permissions for that kext.

5. make sure that none of the Info.plist file into "IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/<name of the plugin>/Contents/" (you should look into the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext plugin) has your device/vendor id.

6. shut down the virtual machine and reboot in osx.

Report any error you got.

Greetings, Domenico.

Please try the following when installing osx:

1. create a virtual machine and install osx from the dvd.

2. before you boot with osx, boot again with the dvd via vmware. you should be able to access the terminal.

3. copy the kext into your drive (using the terminal).

4. set permissions for that kext.

5. make sure that none of the Info.plist file into "IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/<name of the plugin>/Contents/" (you should look into the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext plugin) has your device/vendor id.

6. shut down the virtual machine and reboot in osx.

Report any error you got.

Greetings, Domenico.

If you don't mind, I will do that tomorrow. It's too late here in my country (12:45 am) and I need to wake up early tomorrow to give a class... Tomorrow I will do what you said (I was thinking something like that too) and report any success/failure. Thanks for help.

i've got mine running native on a sata drive, i integrated the driver into the os dvd however for some reason setup did not install the actual sata driver to the drive during installation, so i just copied it over from vmware and it boots fine

and about quadruple the speed of my 10gb 5400rpm pata drive i used to use

Thanks MeDevil, it worked very well.

I just to make a report, my DVD Writer and CD Writer are both on Slave mode, but just the Primary channel is detected (DVD-Writer), no other drives are attached to the PATA channels though.

I kinda figured that out, but could someone point me to a guide on modifying the dvd? Is this something that can only be done in OSx86? I do have a working install on my laptop too, but I have no clue if my dvd writer works there... So else I gotta wait for someone else to include it into a dvd... I would be very grateful if someone could write or point me to a step by step guide on adding these drivers to a dvd...

Greetings,

Michael