Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

Wow! Pretty cool indeed.

Let me ask a few questions...

a) What did you do to fix it? :huh: (Just curious...) I can't seem to get the svn diffs from BerliOS, the important ones are "new files"... :huh:

B) What about OS X < 10.4.8 compatibity? Do you use newer kernel functions or may it work if I recompile "AppleNForceATA.xcodeproj" under 10.4.6? :huh:

c) It also handles PATA (or at least it matches them in the Info.plist file), does it?

And, by the way, any of the ones who were ALREADY having SATA corruption with the original VIAATA trick (not the ones who DIDN't try the VIAATA trick) did NOT experience corruption/hangs with this AppleNForceATA kext? There seems to be some bad reports about this... hope they are simpler, fixable and not "the big one" :unsure:

PPF patch.

This won't work on a Jas dvd ? Don't have any Tube Girl here and doesn't appear to be active.

Any chance of some instructions how to do this with pacifist or can it be done via terminal durin install.

Thanks

Wow! Pretty cool indeed.

Let me ask a few questions...

a) What did you do to fix it? :whistle: (Just curious...) I can't seem to get the svn diffs from BerliOS, the important ones are "new files"... :whistle:

B) What about OS X < 10.4.8 compatibity? Do you use newer kernel functions or may it work if I recompile "AppleNForceATA.xcodeproj" under 10.4.6? ^_^

c) It also handles PATA (or at least it matches them in the Info.plist file), does it?

And, by the way, any of the ones who were ALREADY having SATA corruption with the original VIAATA trick (not the ones who DIDN't try the VIAATA trick) did NOT experience corruption/hangs with this AppleNForceATA kext? There seems to be some bad reports about this... hope they are simpler, fixable and not "the big one" :unsure:

1) just fix something with irq detection and added some features from via (to get the smart status for example)

2) it is supposed to compile under 10.4.x but i can't test it since i don't have previous releases..

3) yes, it manages it and you are invited to use this kext to handle bot sata & pata drives.

for the last... i'm working on the kext... i've added a timeout in the code that should not be necessary (prior to the completition of the dma transfer). i'll also tweak the code to make it report the currently used chipset in the next upload.

If you have any other techincal question, you're welcome to join irc and ask pm me.

Greetings, Domenico.

Just reporting that it compiles & loads fine in 10.4.6

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce by medevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 23, BM 0xc400)

(that's nForce 4 SATA)

I've removed the PATA pid for now, I have root partition there and I don't want to mess with it until I backup data :whistle:.

I'm going to start stress testing the kext right now.

I will also try to install AdiumX or another IRC client on this box. ^_^

Edited by jape

Just reporting that it compiles & loads fine in 10.4.6

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce by medevil (CMD 0x9e0, CTR 0xbe0, IRQ 23, BM 0xc400)

(that's nForce 4 SATA)

I've removed the PATA pid for now, I have root partition there and I don't want to mess with it until I backup data :whistle: .

I'm going to start stress testing the kext right now.

I will also try to install AdiumX or another IRC client on this box. ^_^

I use x-chat aqua... it free and works very well. i'll test the newer version in about 30minutes... if anything goes wrong... then... ehm... i should cry... since i have all on my sata hd :unsure:

See you soon on irc :whistle:

Greetings, Domenico.

Well, I've given up now, lol. My SATA drive mounts and can be read from under OS X. But writing to it is impossible. Disk Utility hangs and dmesg reports IOATA blocking bus whenever I try to initilize/reformat/partition the SATA drive. fdisk from the terminal won't even allow me to -i the MBR. So, I've concluded that the problem I'm having concerns writing to the drive, because it mounts and reads perfectly. My PATA drive is root and it's perfect as well. Any suggestions?

10 Gigabytes copied, not a single byte missed. 1+ hour uptime.

I think I can now say for sure that this kext WORKS here. Check my sig for computer details (they're pretty similar to medevil's, I guess that's why I am lucky :D ).

Thanks a lot medevil :D

Edited by jape

I can get this loaded with my 10.4.8 jas amd asus a8n-sli dlx but it doesnt mount my sata harddisk partitions. So sad.

---------------------------

Actually after my comp got good and long overnight sleep it mounts the partitions.. Which is amazing..

Thank you MeDevil very very much. Awesome work.

Edited by tuukka H

Someone pls upload tubgirl to a ftp and PM me the link.. ill b real happy.. wanna test this driver ASAP.. my old dvd is scratched beyond repair.. and download now is abysmally slow at 4 kbps via your freedom as college has torrents blocked.. pls help..

Ciao Domenico,

good to see that there's an Italian behind the scene.. I'm Italian too!

Is there a way to load your driver during install? I don't even know if install mounts USB pen drives.

Otherwise the only working procedure is to install 1.0.4.8 on a PATA drive, install driver, then move to SATA drive?

What program can I use to move HFS+ partitions?

Do you have a thread about this in the italian section of Insanelymac forum?

thanks a lot!

agentsmith

Ciao Domenico,

good to see that there's an Italian behind the scene.. I'm Italian too!

Is there a way to load your driver during install? I don't even know if install mounts USB pen drives.

Otherwise the only working procedure is to install 1.0.4.8 on a PATA drive, install driver, then move to SATA drive?

What program can I use to move HFS+ partitions?

Do you have a thread about this in the italian section of Insanelymac forum?

thanks a lot!

agentsmith

You can find me on irc (#Insanely.Italian), or pm me.

regarding, the native install... you have two options:

1. install it thru vmware, put the kext and boot...

-or-

2. install on pata, then copy with carbon copy on the sata drive. (this is the method i've used)

Note to all:

1. Currently there seem to be some issues with the mcp51 chipset. I'll do my best to figure out the problem, but development will be slow, 'cause i can't test it personally... if anyone has this chipset, please report if it works here (or you can send me a mobo to use for testing :whistle: )

2. I've released a newer version of the kext. You can download it here. This release fix small issues and improve (well, not too much) performances.

Greetings,

Domenico.

No luck Yet

Adding the PPF to the Jas AMD iso (without P1) It boots to a VLC sreen and a error about a nib file missing.

Tried the hdiutil method pasted below . Probably botched this first attempt. Boots DVD to the imediate seg fault with the dreaded ACPI error.

Intructions

hdiutil attach -readwrite /path/tothe/osx86.iso (hit enter)

This will mount the iso so you can edit,delete and copy to the iso(these changes are instant so always work on a copy of the iso if you have the extra space)

Now,in your desktop make a folder and call it something i.e work , mkext ... anything really,inside this new folder make another directory called Extensions.

Click on the mounted osx86 iso and go to /system/library/ and take the extensions.mkext and drop it in the new folder you just created in the desktop.

And in the terminal type without the ( )

mkextunpack -v -a i386 -d (and drop the Extensions folder you created a few minutes ago here) (now drop the Extensions.mkext from the dvd here and hit enter)

Now this will unpack everything in the Extensions.mkext in to the new Extensions folder.

All kexts ( drivers) in the Extensions.mkext are stored flat,meaning that if you have a kext with plugins inside of it on your system,when its packed into the mkext that the plugins will no longer be in the original kext anymore but along side it like any other kext ( driver)

So what does stored flat really mean to you when your working on the .mkext ?

It means you have to first and always delete the kext and any plugins from the Extensions folder before you add the one you want to use.

once your done working on the unpacked mkext , reset the permissions on them before you repack them.

So in the terminal do

chmod -R 755 (drop the extensions folder you have been working on here)

chown -R root:wheel (drop the extensions folder you have been working on here)

Now just repack the mkext

Kextcache -a i386 -m /users/yourusername/Desktop/Extensions.mkext (drop your extensions folder you were working on here and hit enter)

That will repack the Extensions.mkext and drop the repacked version in your desktop for you.

Once you have that just open the osx86 iso you have mounted in your desktop to /system/library/ and drop the new repacked .mkext into the library directory and copy over the old one.

Please try the following when installing osx:

1. create a virtual machine and install osx from the dvd.

2. before you boot with osx, boot again with the dvd via vmware. you should be able to access the terminal.

3. copy the kext into your drive (using the terminal).

4. set permissions for that kext.

5. make sure that none of the Info.plist file into "IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/<name of the plugin>/Contents/" (you should look into the AppleOnboardPCATA.kext plugin) has your device/vendor id.

6. shut down the virtual machine and reboot in osx.

Report any error you got.

Greetings, Domenico.

Hi dude, it's me again! Well, I tested trying to reinstall and then after the first boot I used the DVD on VMWare again to install your kext. Well, again the same thing, it mounted my hard-disk and then hanged!! I now copied the messages:

ithe last 3 lines says:

Checking disk

Mounting local filesystems

HFS: created HFBT on MacOS

and then latter it just stopped! The hd's light inticator stayed blue (that means, reading! :hysterical: ) but I keep that turned on for some hours and it was still on the same place, so for sure it has hanged.

I have a HP Pavilion DV6110 notebook with AMD Semprom 3400+ SSE3 and a nForce 410/430 controller detected on windows with Device ID of 0x026610de

I think that I will try again with your new driver build... should it work?

USB Stick

Format USB Drive with UFS . Copied AppleNForceATA.kext to USB drive.

Drive is visible on DVD boot . as /dev/disk1s5 /Volumes/DATA

Tried

kextload Volumes/Data/AppleNForceATA.kext with asterisk / and every letter combination.

returns "is not a directory" message

Cant load a kext this way. :hysterical:

Hi dude, it's me again! Well, I tested trying to reinstall and then after the first boot I used the DVD on VMWare again to install your kext. Well, again the same thing, it mounted my hard-disk and then hanged!! I now copied the messages:

ithe last 3 lines says:

Checking disk

Mounting local filesystems

HFS: created HFBT on MacOS

and then latter it just stopped! The hd's light inticator stayed blue (that means, reading! :hysterical: ) but I keep that turned on for some hours and it was still on the same place, so for sure it has hanged.

I have a HP Pavilion DV6110 notebook with AMD Semprom 3400+ SSE3 and a nForce 410/430 controller detected on windows with Device ID of 0x026610de

I think that I will try again with your new driver build... should it work?

I don't think it will work. People reported me that the current drive doesn't seem to work with the mcp51. (It hangs when it's time to write to data to the disk).

I'll do my best to fix this problem, but as i said before it will take much, since i don't have a mobo to exploit were the problem resides.

Greetings, MeDevil.

Hello,

I also have a dc6110 laptop with the mcp51 chipset. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know, because I really want OSX to work on my laptop.

It's good to see that SATA support has improved.

Here are my exact specs:

System

Processor

Model : AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50

Speed : 1.61GHz

Model Number : 2611 (estimated)

Performance Rating : PR5786 (estimated)

Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)

Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)

Type : Mobile, Low Power, Dual-Core

Internal Data Cache : 2x 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size

L2 On-board Cache : 2x 256kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard

Bus(es) : ISA PCI PCIe USB FireWire/1394

MP Support : 1 Processor(s)

MP APIC : No

System BIOS : Hewlett-Packard F.1A

System : Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv6000 (RG279UA#ABA)

Mainboard : Quanta 30B7

Total Memory : 991MB DDR2-SDRAM

Chipset 1

Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration

Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 804MHz (1608MHz data rate)

Total Memory : 1GB DDR2-SDRAM

Memory Bus Speed : 2x 321MHz (642MHz data rate)

Video System

Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor

Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor

Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor

Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE

Physical Storage Devices

Hard Disk : ST98823AS (75GB)

CD-ROM/DVD : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4084N (CD 24X Rd, 24X Wr) (DVD 3X Rd, 3X Wr)

Peripherals

Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 1 COM / 0 LPT

USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub

USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub

FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse : Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Human Interface : HP Quick Launch Buttons

Human Interface : HID-compliant device

Communication Device(s)

Device : HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Operating System(s)

Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Network Services

Adapter : Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

I don't think it will work. People reported me that the current drive doesn't seem to work with the mcp51. (It hangs when it's time to write to data to the disk).

I'll do my best to fix this problem, but as i said before it will take much, since i don't have a mobo to exploit were the problem resides.

Greetings, MeDevil.

Humm...that's a "not-so-bad" news...but it's still bad news! :P For sure you will have all my support for testing. I really want that running on my note. Thank you very much for your efforts!

Ok, the problem with mcp51/55 mobo seems to be ncq related.

Thanks goes to Plat Sajack that reported me a writing errors...

Note: nForce 3 & CK8-04 don't has support for ncq, so this problem is ONLY for mcp51/55 chipset.

I'll do some coding tomorrow, and try to disable the ncq, but i need tester.

If you can, please join #nforce4sata irc channel tomorrow evening (9pm, gmt+1).

Greetings, Domenico.

Ok, the problem with mcp51/55 mobo seems to be ncq related.

Thanks goes to Plat Sajack that reported me a writing errors...

Note: nForce 3 & CK8-04 don't has support for ncq, so this problem is ONLY for mcp51/55 chipset.

I'll do some coding tomorrow, and try to disable the ncq, but i need tester.

If you can, please join #nforce4sata irc channel tomorrow evening (9pm, gmt+1).

Greetings, Domenico.

WOW!! I think that have almost 10 years that I don't use IRC stuff.... hahaha.. I even don't remember how to use that! hmm... what program do you recomend for MacOS to use IRC?? I will download that and enter there right now. What's the server??

WOW!! I think that have almost 10 years that I don't use IRC stuff.... hahaha.. I even don't remember how to use that! hmm... what program do you recomend for MacOS to use IRC?? I will download that and enter there right now. What's the server??

Ok, download xchat aqua (or your preferred irc client).

and connect by clicking this url: irc://irc.macspeak.net/#nforce4sata

If you have troubles with irc, please pm me. i'll reply asap.

Greetings, Domenico.