Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

I hav an old SATA 1 80 GB with no NCQ.. But i can test only if i get 10.4.8.. dunno how to add the kext to my 10.4.6 DVD ISO.. though jape mailed me a kext :thumbsup_anim:

Jus checked online.. It seems that the Nforce 4 Ultra, SLI also have NCQ support.. along with the MCP-51.. so that may not be the problem..

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about5908.html

It also seems that NF4 NCQ is very problematic.. many posts like the one in the link above.. donno wat else is different in the SATA controller of MCP51

the 1st drivers for the CK-804 could not use NCQ.. It seems it was very problematic and enabling it led to Data corruption as reported by many users especially those using Linux..

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t8171.html

Check this link out..

I've got my SATA drive mounted. Reads and writes great.

But I still can't boot off it.

When I try I get the blinking cursor in the upper left.

I carbon copied my boot partition over to the SATA drive. I also ran fdisk and setup the MBR (the partition wasn't active).

But still won't boot.

Any suggestions

I'm on a Asus P5ND-SLI mobo with nForce4 SATA.

Thanks for working on this. Worst case scenario i have to boot off PATA is still kickass.

As i have told yesterrday (maybe in irc?), ncq is only used on mcp51/55 boards.

CK8-04 and previous chipsets don't have support for ncq.

If you don't trust me, then simply check bsd sources: ata-chipset #2863

Data corruption is specific to maxtor hdd (the one with the firmware earlier than BANC1B70) and should happen only on mcp51/55 chipset, cause other (older) chipsets doesn't have support for ncq. Also, those bugs should be fixed if you upgraded the hd firmware (as you can see in the link that Karthik Ramgopal posted).

See ya later.

Greetings, Domenico.

I carbon copied my boot partition over to the SATA drive. I also ran fdisk and setup the MBR (the partition wasn't active).

But still won't boot.

Any suggestions

Thanks for working on this. Worst case scenario i have to boot off PATA is still kickass.

These issues seems not to be related with the driver (i presume you have a CK8-04 chipset), so i think you are ot in this thread.

Perhaps, you could try to add the kext in your installation media and install from it? -or- install it thru vmware?

Greetings, Domenico.

i read thru the tech specs.. linux sata_nv driver doesnt support NCQ.. but its there for sure on CK804

can anyone make a ppf of the kext for the 10.4.6 goatsecx DVD? or at least point me to a guide which says how 2 integrate the kext into the DVD? i hav 10.4.6 goatsecx ISO with me now and would like to try this kext... jape mailed me a 10.4.6 version of it but i am clueless on how 2 integrate it into the DVD so that it detects my SATA HD at startup.

AFAIK, NCQ is present in CK804 (that's what the Windoze driver also says). They however used a "more standard" version in recent revisions -- don't ask me what they meant with "more standard"; I always thought that was marketing bs for "we've dumped NVIDIA SATA and gone AHCI" but since It didn't seem so..

AFAIK, NCQ is present in CK804 (that's what the Windoze driver also says). They however used a "more standard" version in recent revisions -- don't ask me what they meant with "more standard"; I always thought that was marketing bs for "we've dumped NVIDIA SATA and gone AHCI" but since It didn't seem so..

You're right jape, sorry... my mistake.

Linux has (beta) NCQ support for CK8-04 chipset (a recent patch added it),

so this chipset currently should support ncq.

But... why the driver works with CK8-04 and not with MCP51/55 ?

My point of view is that the CK8-04 doesn't enable ncq by default as opposed to MCP51/55 chipset(s).

So as i said in previous thread, we should try to disable it and check if it works.

See you this evening.

Greetings, Domenico

MeDevil, what is this for?

static nForceSATAChipset nforceChipsets[]= {

{ ATA_NFORCE2_PRO_S1, 0, ATA_SA150, "nForce2 Pro" },

{ ATA_NFORCE3_PRO_S1, 0, ATA_SA150, "nForce3 Pro" },

{ ATA_NFORCE3_PRO_S2, 0, ATA_SA150, "nForce3 Pro" }

{ ATA_NFORCE_MCP04_S1, NV4, ATA_SA150, "nForce MCP" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_MCP04_S2, NV4, ATA_SA150, "nForce MCP" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_CK804_S1, NV4, ATA_SA300, "nForce CK804" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_CK804_S2, NV4, ATA_SA300, "nForce CK804" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_MCP51_S1, NV4|NVQ, ATA_SA300, "nForce MCP51" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_MCP51_S2, NV4|NVQ, ATA_SA300, "nForce MCP51" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_MCP55_S1, NV4|NVQ, ATA_SA300, "nForce MCP55" },

{ ATA_NFORCE_MCP55_S2, NV4|NVQ, ATA_SA300, "nForce MCP55" },

{ 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, "nForce Unknown"}

NVQ = NVidia Queueing? It also appears in FreeBSD's ata-pci.h. Maybe the driver will work if we disable it (alas I don't have Xcode installed to test it).

Edited by Daikatana

MeDevil, what is this for?

NVQ = NVidia Queueing? It also appears in FreeBSD's ata-pci.h. Maybe the driver will work if we disable it (alas I don't have Xcode installed to test it).

the nForceSATA* files are from rev1 and should be deleted from the trunk. don't trust them (and, in general, the svn).

in my nforceataroot.cpp (the currently published kext) i've got a similiar table where i can identify the mobo with ncq support.

Now, based on the rev3, the only thing to do on the driver is try to disable the ncq where the NVQ flag is applied.

(And I'll do that, this evening, as i said about 2-3 times on the forum :rolleyes: )

Greetings, Domenico.

SUCCESS !@!

Method used

Removed hardrive to Intel box used second SATA connection .

Boot 10.4.6 and erase/clear Partition to prepare for Install.

Boot JaS AMD 10.4.8.P1 DVD and install to partition on new drive ,Selecting AMD package of course.

Reboot to Intel Install and copy AppleNForce.kext to new AMD Install fix permissions and remove drive to AMD Box.

Reboot AMD box no options just boot

Main Issue USB sleep have to replug keyboard/mouse will try to fix

Sound on first boot works network untested

Won't try to run diskutil on this yet.

Ran CINEBENCH 9.5 scored SINGLE CPU rendering test 324 very close to XP. IMPRESSED

EVGA mATX NF44 / AMD 3700+ 512MB

Should be PPF soon for Jas DVD .

Thanks TO all DEV'S :whistle:

:)

ok i have 10.4.8 installed on a ext hd becasue it doesnt see my nforce sata drive 430/410 i think now my question how can i boot into my ext hd to copy the nforce text it? when i boot into the ext hd it just sits there im assuming its becasue of the nforce, any help?

solution to kirewade's problem:

copy AppleNforce.kext to /System/Library/Extensions ..

now repair permissions using

chmod and chown

delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

reboot frm ur external HD install

and u can see the SATA partitions

now i havent had the opportunity to try this kext yet

but this is the gen method used for all kexts

Karthik Ramgopal, that method works perfectly for this kext.

Using a MCP51 I can boot in single user mode, mount as rw and even write but after a while it just halts with a IOATAController blocking bus error. I think the reason it doesn't boot with the GUI is that /etc/rc runs fsck and this hangs the boot procedure (due NCQ problems).

solution to kirewade's problem:

copy AppleNforce.kext to /System/Library/Extensions ..

now repair permissions using

chmod and chown

delete Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext

reboot frm ur external HD install

and u can see the SATA partitions

now i havent had the opportunity to try this kext yet

but this is the gen method used for all kexts

thanks buy im a mac noob how do i copy to the ex hd if i cannot boot into it? cannot see the mac artition in windows

gr8..

i am also trying my amateur hand at the source.. lets see

but again i don hav Xcode

but at least if i can identify the problem

that wud in itself b gr8

ohk

so u mean 2 say that u cant even boot into ur OS X install on the external HD

well donno wat cud be the problem then

try putting USB boot on a higher priority in ur BIOS

maybe that shud help

But still won't boot.

Any suggestions

GIM,

Same issue here. Used Disk Utility restore feature to copy good working version of osx86 (tubgirl's) from pata to sata (both on nf4). Set boot flag (active flag) to newly cloned partition. Rebooted, changed boot order, and no go. Sits as CMOS boot prompt with flashing cursor.

Edited by joelones

so problem is with nf4 SLI also.. which means driver works just right for now just on Nf4 vanilla/ultra chipsets. MCP51/55 and NF4 SLI are still problematic...