Darwin nForce4 ATA/SATA controller

Guest bikedude880

1,033 posts in this topic

then wat cud be the problem with mcp51/55.. nforce 4 SLi also has NCQ support in its SATA controller

GIM,

Same issue here. Used Disk Utility restore feature to copy good working version of osx86 (tubgirl's) from pata to sata (both on nf4). Set boot flag (active flag) to newly cloned partition. Rebooted, changed boot order, and no go. Sits as CMOS boot prompt with flashing cursor.

lol, 10.4.8's disk utility is broken for hackintoshes, doesn't work good on mbr disks.

ever read any howtos?

i have an nforce 4 sli too and works flawlessly

Edited by lord_muad_dib

Please stop pm-ing me. And stop asking "any progress", "does it works", "how do i make that" or things like that.

I'm not an nvidia engineer that is developing a driver for mac, and I'm not paid to do this kind of work.

We have got support for the ck8-04 chipset, that was missing and we'll get mcp51/55 support too, sooner or later.

I don't own a mcp51/55 mobo, and my nforce4 mobo works well, so i can stop developing this driver now...

hope that this is clear.

Greetings, Domenico.

Please stop pm-ing me. And stop asking "any progress", "does it works", "how do i make that" or things like that.

I'm not an nvidia engineer that is developing a driver for mac, and I'm not paid to do this kind of work.

We have got support for the ck8-04 chipset, that was missing and we'll get mcp51/55 support too, sooner or later.

I don't own a mcp51/55 mobo, and my nforce4 mobo works well, so i can stop developing this driver now...

hope that this is clear.

Greetings, Domenico.

Come now meDevil, is it all that bad that people ravenously come to you in desperation to get their hardware to work? They are looking for someone to help, and its obvious you can, so they want information and progress. I hope you dont get discouraged that easily. And have you looked into the NCQ issue, surely turning off a feature can't be the hardest feat in the world?

Anyway, im sorry people are pestering you, and even I got on IRC to see what was up last night. So for the rest of you, if meDevil wants space, give him some.

Also, I DO have a mcp51 mobo, and I will test your driver out as soon as I learn how to load the kext during install and dvd boot. Otherwise, there isn't any other way for me to install it.

Come now meDevil, is it all that bad that people ravenously come to you in desperation to get their hardware to work? They are looking for someone to help, and its obvious you can, so they want information and progress. I hope you dont get discouraged that easily. And have you looked into the NCQ issue, surely turning off a feature can't be the hardest feat in the world?

If you had been at IRC at proper time, you would know that MeDevil already has tested a kext with NCQ disabled but the problems with MCP51 are still there. Instead of helping MeDevil to fix the problem, you are judging how difficult is to disable "a feature". Maybe you think that turning off "a feature" in a device driver (without specifications) is like turning off "a feature" in Minesweeper, but you should know better before writing {censored}.

And this thread is for helping MeDevil to develop this driver, not for teaching how to add a kext to a DVD or to fix your booting errors (caused by WELL KNOWN PROBLEMS with Disk Utility).

So PLEASE, if you don't know how to code AND don't want ot help as a tester and even DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MAC OS X OR EVEN HOW TO INSTALL IT, shut up.

Sorry for my horrible english, but MeDevil is doing an effort to help us and many of you are just behaving like idiots.

Edited by Daikatana

Guys, play properly or keep your fingers off the keyboard. This forum is for discussion and development, not personal opinion on someone's voluntary efforts. Read the rules. If you want to get personal, expect to get flagged.

I applied the PPF but only get Still waiting for root device after:

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce by medevil (CMD 0x9f0, CTR 0xbf0, IRQ 23, BM 0xe000)

This when trying to install native.

EDIT: I got the install to work, but only when I had the ATA drive connected. SATA only stops with waiting for root device.

My IDE DVD writer isn't found after booting OS X either.

EDIT 2: Haha, I forgot to change the DVD writer from slave to master, which of course was the reason that I got Still waiting for root device. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by iMäcen

Daikatana, you are really quite insulting, and its unnecessary. I was asking a question about the difficulty of disabling NCQ, which I assumed had not been done yet because I joined IRC late, hence the questionmark at the end.

Maybe if you take a few prozac, calm down, and re-read my post, you will find that I am trying to encourage MeDevil, to whom I am very grateful for the help he has already given. I was also offering my own help, but wanted to explain why I couldn't test last night or that very moment. And if I'm not mistaken, you can't code either Daikatana.

Perhaps you should take your self and all this a little less seriously, and maybe then you'll avoid that looming aneurysm.

Will try 10.4.8 vmware to native on SATA root right now, then post the results.

RESULTS: I am posting from the succesfull OS X install on SATA root. The driver works PERFECTLY -- nForce 4 Ultra here

Time to ditch that PATA drive.

As a useful note, the kext that was loaded for PATA was the default Darwin one, AppleNVIDIAnForceATA. Which means it gets preference over medevil's one, even if the correct device id is present on both. So be sure to remove the VIAATA trick before testing SATA!!!

THANKS A LOT medevil! :)

Edited by jape

I have downloaded the Jas 10.4.8, but still get "Waiting for root device". I have tried the master to slave, slave to master, primary and secondary suggestions from other posts, but they don't seem to work. I have disabled my Sata/Raid 5 configuration, so only my 40gb Maxtor drive is being seen.

I am currently downloading the "JaS 10.4.8 AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 /W PPF1 Integrated & Defi......" version. Maybe this will help.....

PC Description:

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe

P4 2.4 Core Dua E6600

eVGA 512-P2-N637-AR GeForce 7950GT 512MB

2gb Kingston 667mhz

Raid 5 with 4 x 160gb Sata Seagate HDD's

Primary IDE Master - Maxtor 40gb

Slave - Plextor DVD Burner

Secondary IDE Master - Plextor CD-RW

Slave - Toshiba DVD

Looking to see why I still get "Waiting for root device"

Here is a screen shot:

post-50058-1170199103_thumb.jpg

I took the Sata drive issue out of the equation (I think), by disabling the SATA drives via the BIOS.

The 40gb IDE is the only drive active, with a FAT32 partition, and is waiting for OSx86 to be installed.

I thought I saw someone in another thread get it working without SATA, but can't found where I read this.

I was hoping that someone in this thread could point me in the right direction, but will keep watching this post for possible solutions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

@plat sajack

the only thing missing in my screen shot is the repeated "waiting for root device" x E 43.419533. =D

Edited by legs

legs: On your screenshot no kext is loading your PATA drive -- that means you have NO IOATAFamily kext at all, cause it would load the generic PATA driver.

Probably due to that XML error on the first lines. I think you should regenerate the Extensions.mkext file.

Edited by jape

=D And how do I do this during the initial installation process? I have installed an older version of OSx86 on my Dell laptop 10.4.?, and messed with kext files inside the OS, but never before the install.

Sorry....nubee.

Thanks in advance for your help Jape!!

hi medevil.. thanx for ur gr8 work.. i jus saw the changelog of sata_nv.c version 0.08 (incidentally the one that added support for the MCP 51/55). They appear to have just added the device ID's.. but then the support was buggy which is why a patch was rapidly released.. the changelog of 0.09 clearly states that THEY HAVE RESOLVED A BUG CAUSED BY MCP 51/55 SUPPORT OF 0.08

http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/?f=6b27.../scsi/sata_nv.c

see this please

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/2/45

please pay attention to the below lines

Another thing I have discovered is that if I boot with a Knoppix

5 (kernel 2.6.17 I believe) and mount the sata drives read only,

there is no problem with them. I can read their whole contents,

really fast, without hiccups. It's at the point of using fdisk on

them or trying to mount them as writeable that the commands hang.

this is similar to the problem we people are facing.

sorry to bug you.. but thot must say this

it seems they changed something in libata also.. may be worth a look to identify possible cause of problem

hi medevil.. thanx for ur gr8 work.. i jus saw the changelog of sata_nv.c version 0.08 (incidentally the one that added support for the MCP 51/55). They appear to have just added the device ID's.. but then the support was buggy which is why a patch was rapidly released.. the changelog of 0.09 clearly states that THEY HAVE RESOLVED A BUG CAUSED BY MCP 51/55 SUPPORT OF 0.08

http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/?f=6b27.../scsi/sata_nv.c

see this please

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/7/2/45

please pay attention to the below lines

Another thing I have discovered is that if I boot with a Knoppix

5 (kernel 2.6.17 I believe) and mount the sata drives read only,

there is no problem with them. I can read their whole contents,

really fast, without hiccups. It's at the point of using fdisk on

them or trying to mount them as writeable that the commands hang.

this is similar to the problem we people are facing.

sorry to bug you.. but thot must say this

Nope... i don't think that this is the problem. That bug in linux libata is related to ALL the nforce family chipsets.

And my driver currently works well with ck804 and mcp04...

Look at this:

ck804				via					 generic
 .freeze		| nv_ck804_freeze	| ata_bmdma_freeze	  |
 .thaw		  | nv_ck804_thaw	  | ata_bmdma_thaw		|
 .error_handler | nv_error_handler   | vt6420_error_handler  | nv_error_handler
 .irq_handler   | nv_ck804_interrupt | ata_interrupt		 | nv_generic_interrupt
 .scr_read	  | nv_scr_read		|					   | nv_scr_read
 .scr_write	 | nv_scr_write	   |					   | nv_scr_write
 .host_stop	 | nv_ck804_host_stop | ata_host_stop		 | ata_pci_host_stop

These are the differences in the structs (*_ops) used in sata_nv.c and sata_via.c.

The column on the left is the ops used for ck804/mcp04.

The column on the right is the ops used for mcp >= 51

The column on the center is what is used to manage via hw.

Actually, the only difference between generic and ck804 is HOW the interrupt is handled.

Perhaps I have noticed that the interruptIsValid() function (in my driver, ndr) doesn't clear the interrupt status when there is no

command issued. And, actually, the nv_generic_interrupt in the sata_nv.c do this:

if (qc && (!(qc->tf.flags & ATA_TFLAG_POLLING)))
  handled += ata_host_intr(ap, qc);
else
  // No request pending?  Clear interrupt status
  // anyway, in case there's one pending.

ap->ops->check_status(ap);

I'll do a mod to the sources this evening (8pm, gmt+1). mcp51/55 are invited to the irc channel to test the kext.

Greetings, Domenico.

=D And how do I do this during the initial installation process? I have installed an older version of OSx86 on my Dell laptop 10.4.?, and messed with kext files inside the OS, but never before the install.

Dunno. Maybe that's a corrupted image file or other problem causes it...

Just a quick question from a noob:

Could this driver be used with the nforce3 sata?

is there any pci sata controllers that works out of the box (or with a little tweaking)?

Like the cheap Siil controllers.

I would really like to help and test this (if it can work with nforce3).