OpenCore General Discussion

dgsga
8,766 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Stefanalmare said:

Now I'm sorry for my time.

I have emulated NVRAM, but I have never touched LegacySchema, not before I had have turned NVRAM emulation on, not after that.

3 minutes ago, miliuco said:

But without native NVRAM, motherboard doesn’t save those values. Maybe you have a kind of partially emulated NVRAM. 

But how then LegacySchema works if it has no values, but keys only?

2 hours ago, miliuco said:

But without native NVRAM, motherboard doesn’t save those values. Maybe you have a kind of partially emulated NVRAM. 

Config.plist from one of my legacy rigs. Core2, NVRAM emulated running latest Sonoma beta. This config is a backup, not the latest. I'm not at home.

config.plist

Like I said above, for having full emulated NVRAM you must install LogoutHook. This and the NVRAM config.plist make all working. Even when upgrade OS, the installer become the default boot. That good emulated NVRAM work!

Edited by Stefanalmare
  • Like 3

On 10/26/2023 at 1:18 AM, Stefanalmare said:

Config.plist from one of my legacy rigs. Core2, NVRAM emulated running latest Sonoma beta. This config is a backup, not the latest. I'm not at home.

config.plist 84.88 kB · 5 downloads

Like I said above, for having full emulated NVRAM you must install LogoutHook. This and the NVRAM config.plist make all working. Even when upgrade OS, the installer become the default boot. That good emulated NVRAM work!

Hello friend, can I have your EFI file please? I have a board model GA-H61M-D2-B3 (rev. 1.0) rev. 1.1 CPU i3 2100 RAM 4GB graphics card GT-640 2GB and would like to try installing it. This is a model that does not support UEFI mode.

• 1 month later...

I imagine at some point, when Apple drops all past Intel and AMD rigs from their list in future MacOS's that we all end up using Legacy everything and have very slim pickings if we continue to use as close as possible all Apple.

The idea of running MacOS on a PC was to patch all the kexts and everything else where, it is possible to run.

However, over the years, the development as stated in the first sentence has led to being a Mac as close as possible.  Imitation.

The idea of running MacOS on PC is then really detracted a bit in my thought.

A hack is to hack and use what is there.   Taking advantage of what is in place, not becoming it.  If you follow my thought here.

If you want a Mac buy one.

If you want to hack it, that is different. 

Back in the day, when I started this, the 'hackers' of those days, hacked and made use.

Any one can make a kext if they know how and what specs are needed to make it work for their piece of hardware.  I used to write scripts in UNIX many many years ago.  oops tells my age..

However, a hacker knows already what they are looking to do and then dive in and with their skills and intelligence see how far they can go.

So as long as you want to have mac on your pc exactly like a mac, then, the idea of hackintosh is lost.  Follow my thought here?

patching is what hackers start out by doing to find the core where all is then taken in control.  Data control and having it do precisely what is intended.
All I hear is that is not possible Mac is this and that. Well tell that to the hacker who made it possible.

All data.  Language is one: 1 0 1 0 1 1 0.  This is how a true hacker gains control.  the hardware is then theirs for the taking.

the history of data begins with those creating it and they were able to make it happen thus we are living in their work progressed through time.

On 12/7/2023 at 7:12 PM, makk said:

I imagine at some point, when Apple drops all past Intel and AMD rigs from their list in future MacOS's that we all end up using Legacy everything and have very slim pickings if we continue to use as close as possible all Apple.

The idea of running MacOS on a PC was to patch all the kexts and everything else where, it is possible to run.

However, over the years, the development as stated in the first sentence has led to being a Mac as close as possible.  Imitation.

The idea of running MacOS on PC is then really detracted a bit in my thought.

A hack is to hack and use what is there.   Taking advantage of what is in place, not becoming it.  If you follow my thought here.

If you want a Mac buy one.

If you want to hack it, that is different. 

Back in the day, when I started this, the 'hackers' of those days, hacked and made use.

Any one can make a kext if they know how and what specs are needed to make it work for their piece of hardware.  I used to write scripts in UNIX many many years ago.  oops tells my age..

However, a hacker knows already what they are looking to do and then dive in and with their skills and intelligence see how far they can go.

So as long as you want to have mac on your pc exactly like a mac, then, the idea of hackintosh is lost.  Follow my thought here?

patching is what hackers start out by doing to find the core where all is then taken in control.  Data control and having it do precisely what is intended.
All I hear is that is not possible Mac is this and that. Well tell that to the hacker who made it possible.

All data.  Language is one: 1 0 1 0 1 1 0.  This is how a true hacker gains control.  the hardware is then theirs for the taking.

the history of data begins with those creating it and they were able to make it happen thus we are living in their work progressed through time.

Long term, Apple will ditch ALL Intel binaries from macOS thus only ARM instruction set will be used in macOS (that's what they did moving from PowerPC to Intel in past).

Big Sur is already dead...even on Apple Silicon.

So there's no hacking required to run macOS on a PC....since there's nothing to hack.

One possibility is to emulate ARM instructions in X84 and try to hack those new ARM macOS's to run under an emulator....under a VM.

So long term if one wants to run the latest macOS, get an Apple Silicon Mac.

Edited by MacNB
  • Like 2

Question: How can my Whiskey Lake Laptop boot macOS 14.2 without this setting enabled…

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-08um23_26_47.png.9ddd07f62da51eb253405329ce709742.png

…If CFGLock is enabled:

08222241.png.dddde426861e7167dc53b0c8367382a7.png

???

Using commit https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/a1a8bd6c90f269cd184b37dbacde886c6a82cd1e

Technically, this should be impossible. So either, the quirk is always on, or something changed in macOS.

Reminder:

AppleXcpmCfgLock

Description: Disables PKG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL (0xE2) MSR modification in XNU kernel, commonly causing early kernel panic, when it is locked from writing (XCPM power management).

Source: OpenCore Documentation.pdf

Edited by cankiulascmnfye

59 minutes ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Question: How can my Whiskey Lake Laptop boot macOS 14.2 without this setting enabled…

…If CFGLock is enabled:

???

Using commit https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg/commit/a1a8bd6c90f269cd184b37dbacde886c6a82cd1e

Technically, this should be impossible. So either, the quirk is always on, or something changed in macOS.

Reminder:

My Dell XPS 8930 declare MSR 0xE2 locked and there is no way I can unlock it via EFI shell and it still can boot with or without this quirk ticked. Strange but at least, you are not alone! Just for sake of being kosher, it’s ticked on my hack.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

…If CFGLock is enabled:

???

Reminder:

I may propose that macOS doesn't use the register for your CPU. There are checks of CPUID inside XCPM module.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 11:35 PM, Hoshi Yamazaki said:

Hey, I updated my Thinkpad X230 config, OpenCore.efi, drivers and kexts to 0.7.7 version, but it stopped booting, and I'm curious why.

This is error I get:
image.png.2033e3de1412d933267fbad30e1a3379.png

It's quite interesing because I also updated my r5 3600/rx5700 XT config, and, even if it's AMD, it works without problems. So I don't know what is an issue with my laptop...
I also tried to mess with Execution Prevention, VT-x and VT-d options in BIOS. I think GPU is not getting initialized, but I also tried to add SSDT-IMEI...
The laptop comes with Ivy Bridge CPU (i5-3320M) and HD4000 mobile iGPU. I also want to mention that I updated from 0.6.1, and it was working fine on previous "build".

Hi, it is a bit late to ask however let me see if you can help, I have moved from my Intel to AMD Ryzen 5 3600 which was my son's PC used for Windows gaming. I will be happy if you can share your config.plist file 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:12 AM, SavageAUS said:

My Ryzen 5 3600 boots and works fine with OC on Catalina and Big Sur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Did you upgrade your Ryzen 5 3600 to Ventura or Sonoma and if yes, could you please share your config.plist as it will be too much effort for me to prepare from scratch 

I have performed a few brief tests with Open Core 0.9.7 (upgraded from OC 0.9.6) on my Dell Latitude E6410 (SMBIOS MBP6,2) and am finding that I can only boot with OC 0.9.7 if  I use the LegacyBoot utility from OC 0.9.6.  Is anyone else finding this?  Here's how I tested:

Test 1:

• Upgrade OC 0.9.6 binaries to OC 0.9.7 (EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi, EFI/OC/Drivers/*.* (all except HfsPlusLegacy.efi), EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi, EFI/OC/Tools/*.*)
  • Install new LegacyBoot with Utility from OC 0.9.7
  • After rebooting, boot halts because OC can't load HfsPlusLegacy.efi

Test 2:

• Start with OC 0.9.7 config from Test 1 and disable HfsPlusLegacy.efi in OC config.plist
  • After rebooting, OC does not see any of my APFS volumes (only item in OC boot menu is ResetNVram)

Test 3:

• Start with OC 0.9.7 config from Test 1 and keep LegacyBoot installed by OC 0.9.6
  • After rebooting, all appears normal and Hackintool reports that I am booting with OC 0.9.7

It appears to me that there is a problem with OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility (or more likely, I am incorrectly using the OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility)

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, deeveedee said:

I have performed a few brief tests with Open Core 0.9.7 (upgraded from OC 0.9.6) on my Dell Latitude E6410 (SMBIOS MBP6,2) and am finding that I can only boot with OC 0.9.7 if  I use the LegacyBoot utility from OC 0.9.6.  Is anyone else finding this?  Here's how I tested:

Test 1:

• Upgrade OC 0.9.6 binaries to OC 0.9.7 (EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi, EFI/OC/Drivers/*.* (all except HfsPlusLegacy.efi), EFI/OC/OpenCore.efi, EFI/OC/Tools/*.*)
  • Install new LegacyBoot with Utility from OC 0.9.7
  • After rebooting, boot halts because OC can't load HfsPlusLegacy.efi

Test 2:

• Start with OC 0.9.7 config from Test 1 and disable HfsPlusLegacy.efi in OC config.plist
  • After rebooting, OC does not see any of my APFS volumes (only item in OC boot menu is ResetNVram)

Test 3:

• Start with OC 0.9.7 config from Test 1 and keep LegacyBoot installed by OC 0.9.6
  • After rebooting, all appears normal and Hackintool reports that I am booting with OC 0.9.7

It appears to me that there is a problem with OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility (or more likely, I am incorrectly using the OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility)

What is the "OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility" and what does it have to do with Open Core?

@pitrysha LegacyBoot (in the OpenCore/Utilities folder when you download OpenCore) is necessary when using OpenCore on PCs with legacy BIOS (non-UEFI).  It is the LegacyBoot utility that allows OpenCore to support old PCs (like my Dell Latitude E6410 which was released in 2010).

EDIT: OpenCore's LegacyBoot utility installs Duet to "emulate" the UEFI interface in the absence of native UEFI support.

Edited by deeveedee
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, deeveedee said:

@pitrysha LegacyBoot (in the OpenCore/Utilities folder when you download OpenCore) is necessary when using OpenCore on PCs with legacy BIOS (non-UEFI).  It is the LegacyBoot utility that allows OpenCore to support old PCs (like my Dell Latitude E6410 which was released in 2010).

EDIT: OpenCore's LegacyBoot utility installs Duet to "emulate" the UEFI interface in the absence of native UEFI support.

I also have some problems with legacy loading. The last on which legacy loading works is 0.97 (commit -11a33b4).But... I can boot with the latest version of the OС if I use a legacy boot from version 0.97 (commit -11a33b4)

legacy.thumb.png.0d94758f64f856d3f62d1e60c86f94a8.png

• Thanks 1

@droples That makes sense.  Maybe we need to enable FixupAppleEfiImages quirk?

Screenshot2023-12-19at7_46_49AM.thumb.png.40256c888c0cfeed24ec379331406e7b.png

EDIT: I enabled Booter > FixupAppleEfiImages quirk and attempted to use the OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility, but it did not work for me.  There must be another step necessary for use of the new LegacyBoot utility.  After my failed test, I reverted to the OC 0.9.6 LegacyBoot (keeping the OC 0.9.7 binaries).

Edited by deeveedee

1 hour ago, deeveedee said:

@droples That makes sense.  Maybe we need to enable FixupAppleEfiImages quirk?

Screenshot2023-12-19at7_46_49AM.thumb.png.40256c888c0cfeed24ec379331406e7b.png

EDIT: I enabled Booter > FixupAppleEfiImages quirk and attempted to use the OC 0.9.7 LegacyBoot utility, but it did not work for me.  There must be another step necessary for use of the new LegacyBoot utility.  After my failed test, I reverted to the OC 0.9.6 LegacyBoot (keeping the OC 0.9.7 binaries).

OpenCore0.9.8(commitfc9a5ec

LLegacy.png.4c9a4739198d56b0402062b77cc4ba6a.png

Try this one....

BOOT_Legacy(OC0.9.7-Commit-11a33b4).zip

• Like 1

@droples I'm sure it works since it is essentially the same as the 0.9.6 version.  I continue to think that I'm missing a required change and haven't yet pinned the blame on an OC bug.  When I get time, I'll review again later.  Thanks for the assist!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, STLVNUB said:

Anybody With A 100% Working EFI For Sonoma Please Send It To Me Thanks

Hi Bro - I don't fully understand what you're looking for or how mine will help but here is mine from my MSI Z490 (As in Signature).

Everything fully working as in a real Mac with Sonoma Beta 3, within Beta 3 limitations, minus personal Data, hope it helps.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eSaF said:

Hi Bro - I don't fully understand what you're looking for or how mine will help but here is mine from my MSI Z490 (As in Signature).

Everything fully working as in a real Mac with Sonoma Beta 3, within Beta 3 limitations, minus personal Data, hope it helps.

EFI.zip 24.48 MB · 2 downloads

Thanks, Got It All Sorted, Had Secure Boot Enabled In Bios 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slice said:

Don't mix UEFI Secure Boot that you enabled in BIOS and Apple Secure Boot that your bios never hear.

Bios Reset Itself, Secure Boot Enabled By Default

41 minutes ago, STLVNUB said:

Bios Reset Itself, Secure Boot Enabled By Default

I don't know if this will help but the BIOS Settings for my MSI Board for Opencore, Secure Boot must be set to Disabled and Secure Boot Mode set to Standard.

• Like 1